Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Game won't open on Mac

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jemballs, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jemballs

jemballs

Hey guys,

I've recently just finished developing a game using Unity on Windows. And just today I gave a Mac build a try and sent the build to a friend who owns a Mac, she tried it and it worked! Great!

However, 2 of my other Mac-using friends run across a bit of a problem. Nothing happens when they run the game. They double click the app, and nothing happens.

Any ideas as to why this could be happening?

I understand a lot more information is probably required to deduce an answer, but i don't really know much about macs as i've never owned one. So even letting me know what sort of information i should first retrieve would be great.

Thanks in advance!

2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Oops, didn't read the question very carefully. Sorry. :oops:

3. jemballs

jemballs

hi bigkahuna, thanks for the reply.

I do and i don't think that this could be it.

Firstly, i don't think it could be it because all 3 players downloaded the same .rar file containing the mac copy from the same location on the internet.

However, something like that could be happening, if, perhaps there were 2 .app files (.app = mac equivalent of .exe correct?) within the file structure and one user clicked the correct one and the other 2 users clicked the wrong one. I say that because... i don't actually even know where the .app file is in the file structure... there could be 10 of them and i wouldnt know =/

Sorry for the mac noob-ness guys! but i'm very grateful of any and all help =)

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Macs don't have .exe files with associated data folders, it's all packaged into a single .app. (Technically it is an executable with data folders, but you'd have to actively work to separate them, it's not something that can happen accidentally.)

If you didn't already, make a Universal Binary build. If that's not the problem, have them run Console.app and look in the console.log for errors.

--Eric

5. bournifle

bournifle

I had this problem twice, and it was due to a permission problem on some files/folders inside the app.

(An app is a folder. To explore it, open the context menu on it inside Finder, and select "Show Package Contents".)

The first time, I didn't have the right to read inside the Contents/Data subfolder of the app. The app was coming from another Mac.

The second time, the executable file inside the Contents/MacOS subfolder of the app was not ... executable! The app was coming from a Windows Unity.

A "chmod 755" on the problematic file or folder, using a terminal, may resolve your problem. But if anyone has a better/easier solution, I'm interested.

coder9401 likes this.
  6. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

corruption to mac binaries may happen if compressed on windows

a couple of times i experienced that zipping or raring the app bundle in windows with winrar or 7zip sometimes corrupt the mac binary making osx think its a text file instead of a executable

changing permissions may help in some cases, but to be sure, compress the app bundle in osx with ez7z or rar machine before sharing it

its a very strange and annoying problem

Quentin_Arragon likes this.
  7. jemballs

jemballs

hey guys,

thanks for the helpful replies! Much appreciated!

I'm going to try all that you guys have suggested as soon as i can get hold of one of my mac buddies. I'll be sure to report back and let you guys know how i went.

Thanks again for all the help!!

8. OneThree

OneThree

9. OneThree

OneThree

I believe I've found the culprit, at least in my case: BetterZip. http://macitbetter.com/

Something about how BetterZip extracts Unity projects is corrupting the executable file. When I take the exact same zip file and extract it with OSX's built-in archive utility, the game loads fine.

Weird.

10. HelloImKevo

HelloImKevo

I've been experiencing the same issue -- Developed my game on a Mac OSX 10.8.5 using Unity 4.5.3. The builds that I deploy work fine on my machine, but are completely unresponsive on friends' and coworkers' Macs. While looking through the Unity "Build Settings", noticed there are several options: x86, x86_64, and Universal. The problems we've been running into have been with builds with the "x86" Architecture option.

Will test deployed builds using the "x86_64" and "Universal" options and see if that alleviates the issue, and will try the chmod 755 command suggested elsewhere.

Cheers!

11. FastFwd00

FastFwd00

Any update on this topic? I'm having the same issue. Been sending my mac build (built on Unity 4.6 on a Mac with Universal settings) to some friends that all have macs and one of my friends has no problem running it but the others cant open the file at all. I tried compressing the file but still doesn't work. Not sure how to do the chmod thing :/

12. timothyallan

timothyallan

I had to do the chmod thing as well:

chmod 755 [application_name].app/Contents/MacOS/[application_name]

13. francksitbon

francksitbon

Hi, I don't know if it is a bug, I did a mac build with Unity5.0.0f4. the application does not launch on OSX10.8 and reported to not launch by Amazon testers, but worked perfectly on OSX10.9.5. I checked the Unity specf http://unity3d.com/unity/system-requirements that says that it should work on OSX10.7. I don't know what to do

14. BlastOffProductions

BlastOffProductions

My problem was that I had "Mac app store validation" enabled(In Player Settings). After I disabled that, it worked fine.

radiantboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.