Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[GAME] Rafting Bears [IOS][ANDROID]

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by jankrib, Jun 25, 2014.

1. jankrib

jankrib

The story begins in the summer of 2013. We spent our lunch break discussing how so few mobile games is utilizing the incredible touch screens we have nowadays. Many games is just about tapping and many even resort to on-screen gamepads as this is the easiest kind of input to imagine for those of us who grew up with game consoles. This led us to indulging in brainstorming sessions of how we could make a game, using intuitive touch gestures that actually had an in-game analogy.

The idea of Rafting Bears was born. As the title might reveal, this is a game about river rafting. The player control a set of paddling bears floating down river on a raft, fighting the current and hazardous obstacles. Swiping on either side of the screen will cause the bears sitting on that side of the raft to paddle. This gives the player a great degree of freedom since both sides can be controlled independently and the bears can paddle both forward and backwards.

The game in its current form is made up of 5 rivers, each with 20 levels. Completing a level unlocks the next and 1 to 3 honey jars can be earned depending on time used. Fish that is caught in the river can be spent on new and better rafts and equipment.

Crondale is a 3 man team located in Norway. From day to day we work on different software projects, but during the dark winter nights, we put on our cloaks and masks and develop games as "Crondale Games". We are proud to announce Rafting Bears and hope you will enjoy the game. We definitely enjoyed making it!

>> Get it on Google Play now!
    >> Get it on App Store now!

rubber_dinghy.png

fishy_creek.png

robusto.png

bucket.png

pro_rafter.png

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  2. jankrib

jankrib

We will begin to advertise the android version today. Since this is the first game we release we don't have much experience with this part of the process. There are so many games on Google Play that it seems hard to be noticed.

Does anyone have experience with advertisement? We would love some friendly advice.

3. sootie8

sootie8

Go spend $300-500 on some advertisement (Don't use banner ads). I suggest you run the campaign on one weekend only, try to get big download numbers again gain momentum.

You could also try asking youtube / website App reviewers, to review. Its free promotion.

4. jankrib

jankrib

Thank you. When you say don't use banner ads, do you mean on websites or also in other games with e.g AdMob?

5. sootie8

sootie8

I mean with mobile ads, like AdMob, most of the clicks on banner ads are accidental. I've found the best ones to be either interstitial ads, or "App Walls". I believe App Brain and a few others do the latter.

6. jankrib

jankrib

Thank you for the warning. We made and interstitial in AdMob now. Fingers crossed.

We have already contacted some reviewers via e-mail, but YouTube was a good idea.

7. jankrib

jankrib

The campaign has been running for a couple of days now and it seems to be working. We have a click rate just above 10 % (10% of the people who see the ad click on it), which is more than I would expect. The problem seems to be to get people to install the game. There is up to 36 hours delay for conversions on AdMob so the only numbers we can trust is from Thursday. Then we had a 5% conversion rate (5% of the people who clicked on the ad, installed the game). I thought the worst part was to get people to click the ad. The game is free.

Is there something obviously bad or wrong with our listing on Google Play?

Does anyone have any suggestions to have we can improve it?

8. sootie8

sootie8

Post the graphic you are using in the ad.

9. jankrib

jankrib

Interstential1.png
    This is the campaign image and I'm was quite happy with 10% clicking on it, although I have nothing to compare it to.

10. sootie8

sootie8

I think that this graphic could mislead the clicker into thinking its a game that it is not, which results in more click, but less installs. You want to decrease the CTR from 10%(its pay per click), and increase the install rate. Try swapping it out for another graphic that is more similar to the gameplay.

11. jankrib

jankrib

Thank you for your advice and sound logic, sootie. We made and started to run a new ad this weekend (attached below). We don't have enough numbers to conclude yet, but so far this one seems to generate fewer clicks and more conversions.
    Interstential3.png

12. jankrib

jankrib

From the first players that have installed the game, the general feedback has been that the first levels should be more challenging. So today we have released version 1.1 where the first 20 levels is redone to be more challenging and fun to play. We have also fixed some minor bugs that were present in v 1.0. Hope you like the change!

13. sootie8

sootie8

No problem, if you need any help in the future I do consulting(on game design, programming and marketing). Just PM me.

14. jankrib

jankrib

15. jankrib

jankrib

The game was just released on App Store. I updated the links in the first post.