Game development team needed

Discussion in 'Commercial Work' started by ostrich160, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ostrich160

ostrich160

Hi, Im in the need of a game development team to help me make my game. The team will need to be capable of making every part of the game (with the exception of art and music, which isn't a requirement), so the team will need coders, 3d modellers, every role there is to fully making a game. It doesn't matter what coding language you use, but Id preferably like it to be able to ship out to Macs as well as PC's. It also doesn't matter what engine you want to use, what programs you use, thats all your personal preference, as long as it can make the game to my requirements, thats fine. The game you'll be making is about as advanced as games such as DayZ, so a team with some kind of advanced skills will be needed. We'll discuss pricing if you chose to help me with my game, and there I'll also tell you more about the game.

Thanks for reading and I'll be looking forward to hearing your responses
    Tom

EDIT: SO a lot of you wanted a bigger description of what the game is, well, here it is-

Okay, so the game is basically a hardcore survival game, in the kind of style as DayZ, so killing isn't your first option. The game setting is a post apocalyptic world, full of destroyed cities, barren wastelands, and every so often and beautiful natural utopia untouched by man. The world will be completely randomly generated, and feature fully explorable buildings (so every building you see can be explored). The aim of the game is simply to survive, and this is done with a few important elements which are needed for your survival-
    Food- Everyday you will need to eat, and so I'm making the choice of food rather large, but a lot of that food would only be eaten as a last resort. The food will include normal 'human' food which can be looted out of buildings, animals which can be hunted, crops and fruits, and as a last resort, other survivors (I know, its horrible, but its a post apocalyptic situation. I got the idea of it from fallout NV)
    Water- To make the game a bit easier, water won't be essential for survival, but without it the player can become very run down and might faint every so often. It is obtainable in the same way as food, from loot, rivers and other water sources, or (because water makes up around 90% of it) again as a last resort, other survivors blood * I know some of these elements are a bit disguising and sick, but I want the player to feel like they are in the situation and give them the option but make them think about it
    Shelter- Shelter can be obtained in a number of ways. It can be built out of basic pieces like corrugated iron sheets (these are made in a spore style building creator so you have the freedom to make it look how you want. Supplies are found or created using ores, but it won't be minecraft style at all. However, materials are very sparse). Or, you can fortify and build up from existing buildings, allowing for a quick and easy shelter.
    Sanity- Yes, there will be sanity in this game, but not enough that it kills you. As your in a post apocalyptic situation, you will probably go insane, especially if your living in a house with zombies smashing down your door, paranoia will take over. Sanity will not effect you much, only flickers of strange figures and seconds of random sound clips, until you get to the top of the insanity level, which causes wild hallucinations. An example of this is that you might walk out your house, and you see nothing. You go walking along, and then suddenly snap back and realise you were hallucinating, and that theres zombies ripping you apart!

This game will not be easy, I'm making it as unfair on the player as possible. There won't be quests, its open world sandbox survival.

The mobs will include zombies (of various speeds, intelligence and perceptiveness)
    An enderman like mob (these will be tall, slim figures that are very rare. They are passive until you look at them. Then they just stare. However, the difference between these an endermen is that these have some weird connection, so you look at one, and all of them in a large area will begin hunting you down. These are very rare, but if you look at one, they will not stop until either they're all dead or your dead!
    crazed survivors
    And more...

(P.s. If this seem copy and pasted its because I got it from my thread on another forum where I have posted about it)
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  2. Prion Games

Prion Games

Hope you have some serious cash to throw around to complete this task. GUI alone will cost you nearly 1k.
  3. ostrich160

ostrich160

oh yeh defiantly, Im (hopefully) funding the devs via kickstarter, so if all goes to plan Im hoping to pay the devs at least 10k, at least
  4. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

emailed ya.
  5. khanstruct

khanstruct

Do you have funds right now to pay a team?

If not, promise of future payment or anything like "profit sharing" belongs in the Collaboration forum.
  6. ostrich160

ostrich160

Well yes and no I suppose. I don't have the funds right now, but I won't get the team to work until I have.
  7. khanstruct

khanstruct

Hence the dilemma of indie development.

We all have ideas that we're "sure" will make loads of money. Post your idea in the Collab forum, get people excited and willing to work on it (I strongly suggest you develop skills yourself as well). Then, when you have something presentable, begin to seek funding.

Good luck.
  8. ImogenPoot

ImogenPoot

So basically what you want is this:

1) I have no idea what I am doing
    2) I want to gather people to make my game, because I have no idea
    3) I pay them a minimal amount of money
    4) I will get rich...

Good luck ;)
  9. ostrich160

ostrich160

No, not at all, but I know I can't make this alone. This is a complicated game, you've heard the phrase of minecraft 'made by a single man'. Its an amazing feat that he made a game alone, how am I supposed to make a game alone thats much more complicated. And Im not paying the devs minimal money, if everything goes to play Ill be paying them (depending on what goal I chose to go with on my kickstarter) anywhere between 30k-70k. I do know what I'm doing, I just can't do it alone. Theres method to my madness XD

Yeh I might go make a post in the collab section, Im in no hurry though, in fact I need to wait until fall for Kickstarter UK to be released, so I have plenty of time :)
  10. SevenBits

SevenBits

No one will want to help unless they know much more about the game.
  11. EyecyArt

EyecyArt

What would be your role in the team exactly?
    Do you have any defined documents already?
    You should add more info to this.
    1. You will post it on Kickstarter anyway so the idea will be public then.
    2. People have different skills and likes so some will not write you because they don´t know what you gonna do.
    3. Your Idea will not be so super awesome that someone could steal it and develop it befor you did.
  12. ostrich160

ostrich160

I was planning on telling them in the email if they're interesting, but I suppose I could post it on here

Im project leader, and yeh I'll post up my game idea
  13. Keiyentai

Keiyentai

*scratches head* OK you post in the section for paid dev but give little to no detail on what you are doing and asking for an entire team? Honestly I think you should go to the colab section, post more info and look for a team there, post some stuff, story, little art etc etc THEN once thats done and you have people helping "fultime" come here. I run an indie company as well and we decided to use Unity3D and even with some core story, artwork, music work, concept and even promo 3D stuff as owner/project leader I wouldn't instantly jump here cause I have no way of saying "Sure you will get X amount as soon as we make it" cause there is no garantee in this market especially if the project leader IE YOU are THIS VAGUE. Sorry if this sounds harsh but I have done the SAMETHING many times on other forums...and it just makes you look 1: Like a fool. 2: Like your trying to possible take credit for others work. 3: Sit and "manage" a "project" while you don't do anything. Sorry if it comes off rude but it's how it looks to us.
  14. ostrich160

ostrich160

Well the reason I don't want to post in the collab section is because I like my idea as it is, I want to 'hire' lets say a team because then they contribute ideas and I decide whether or not to use them, but when I have other people in the team my idea gets changed, as the phrase goes 'A camel is a horse designed by committee'. I like my idea and don't want it changed because one man in the group wants it more FPS like and another wants persistent worlds, I want to hire a team and decide what the game is myself, sure my team can suggest ideas but I want the freedom to decide whether or not they go into the game. Yes you are right I have been very vague and Im about to edit my post to tell you much more about what the game is, but what you've got to remember here is people will want to work for me more so because its their job and its a source of income than because they like the idea, sure if they hate the idea they might not want to do it but with our current economy its hard to put off job opportunities because you don't like their ideas. The reason Im asking for an entire team is because an entire team would have worked together for years, where sticking a load of random people together could cause problems. Imagine a team like components in a computer, some parts don't work well together, but if you buy all the parts from the same manufacturer they work perfectly.

Either way, thank you for your helpful advice, I do realise I have been very vague and Ill rectify that right now :)
  15. nipoco

nipoco

Just a friendly advice. Stick to playing games!

Making games is a really expensive and time consuming task. And if you have no money or own experience, this is doomed to fail.
  16. ostrich160

ostrich160

No, Ive got a idea, a dream if you will and Im gonna make it happen, I just thought the people of the unity forums would offer more helpful and constructive advice, but its clear to me that a lot of you actually want me to fail
  17. rosor

rosor

i guess this thread is going to be closed pretty soon ... Just listen to them and open a new thread in the collaboration section. Hope you ll be funded on you kickstarter stuff... But you really need to already have a team or a heavy game design documents or evidences that this project can happen to be able to raise a big amount of fund so that you can actually pay a team ....
    Good luck
  18. ostrich160

ostrich160

I wish I did already have a team, but nobody I know is into game development, but I've got some contact with one team who should be able to help me out so they're looking good. Your right though, whether I post this in Collab or not, I need more information for developers. Thanks :)
  19. nipoco

nipoco

Did you ever lead a team of people from different countries?
    Did you ever create a small game by your own. So that you have a basic understanding how games development works?
    Do you have a complete GDD?
    Is this really well thought out? I mean, you need to know how to handle the networks, server, in game economics etc.
    Are you aware of the fact, that a game with such size and complexity will cost several hundred thousand dollars and at least 2 years development time?

If there is only one question you can answer with no, then you should really rethink your idea and start smaller.

Really, I don't want to shatter your dreams. But everyone thinks he has a great idea. That alone isn't enough.
    I'm an artist. And I can't tell my wife "Honey, I going to work for free because a random guy on the internet has a idea" I need something that brings food on the table, you know.

Can I ask you how old you are?
  20. Keiyentai

Keiyentai

ostrich160 in no means am I trying to smash your dream man. None what so ever. I have one to all I am saying is post SOME work not all of it. The Edit you made is a great start. All I am trying to say is get a small group get some core stuff done maybe some models of "the main guy" or what ever it maybe and a section a char might go to and a couple people who can spend more then 1-2 hours total on said project then come here or start a Kickstarter. Also stating you don't even know what engine to use on the Unity forums is kind of odd is all since Unity3D it's self is a very capable engine if you look in to it. I was the same way "no way sticking with UDK or this etc etc etc" took me a while to finally see just how powerful Unity3D actually is and when 4.0 comes out it's just going to get better. All I'm saying man. Just trying to help not kill a dream. I am actually going to post a thread collab for help myself cause as it stand's I am the only "fulltime" 3D modeler on my team and when it comes to making people not my strong point...don't even ask me to rig them well....if I came off rude I'm sorry I am just trying to make it so you don't come off as some one who is trying to just sit and get credit for possibly doing squat if that make's sense.

I like the idea though. It's cool. I say post some info in collab ask for some help post what YOU can do and see what happens man. Good luck
  21. ostrich160

ostrich160

No, I haven't ever had a team, and no, I don't have a full GDD, quite frankly, I don't know what a GDD is! The game is well thought out, but if its not well thought out enough I have plenty of time to sort that out, Im in no hurry. Yes I am aware that game development costs a hell of a lot and will drain a lot of time, but why should that put me off.

Im not gonna rethink my idea, Ive done the smaller, Ive made simpler games, but I can't go this alone, I need help, which is why I came here.

And finally, you didn't listen to me. I never said I wanted anyone to work for free. I said I don't have the money now BUT when I do (from the kickstarter) and only when I do will I get the team to work, do you understand how much legal trouble I could get in for not paying a developer after they've made my game, Im not an idiot.

Oh, and I'm 16. Let the hate flood in on a young developer!
  22. ostrich160

ostrich160

Thanks, Ill go post in the collab section then, Im gonna try to some some work in blender on a main character to show off or something. But as I said, I want to make my game, not my game distorted by the man who wants more FPS and the man who wants more RPG. Then again though, theres no harm in posting there, thanks.
  23. nipoco

nipoco

No hate. Just some friendly advices ;)

I got that part. However, you don't have the money, right? And making a Kickstarter page is by no means a guarantee that you get that money. We talking about several hundred thousand dollars. Even the The Other Brother developers struggling to get $50000.
    And before you can open a Kickstarter fundraiser, you need to show what you already got. Nobody pledges for some ideas. People want to see at least a prototype or some artworks. So how do you intend to pay for that first?

You're 16. Why not start small with some simple projects. You need a goal that is more in your reach. When I started with game development, I did some simple, but polished Flash games and sold them to portals like BigFishGames.

And a GDD is a games development document which outlines your project.
  24. Jaimi

Jaimi

From Kickstarter:
    You have failed before you even started. Please pay attention to the advice you are getting. You haven't even done your due diligence on funding - How will you lead a team? It's not bad to have dreams. But if you're going to post this kind of thing, you need to at least have a one in a million chance of success.
  25. ostrich160

ostrich160

Fair enough, sorry about being so angry and all.
    No I don't have the money and all, but Ive researched past kick-starters which have made enough, Ive just got to hope my game will be popular enough to impress as many people. To impress people Im gonna try to hire a cheaper artist and do some work with blender myself and so on. Thanks for the advice though
  26. ostrich160

ostrich160

It also says somewhere in there that someone of a younger age can lead the project under a parent or guardians name and permission, also, about the US thing, Ive already said Im waiting for kickstarter UK to come

EDIT: I tried to post in the collaboration btw, but it didn't seem to work?
  27. Democre

Democre

collaboration is a modded forum, so it may take a while to show up.
    If it doesn't show up, they usually have a reason for not posting it.
  28. Keiyentai

Keiyentai

Would he be able to post it in the WIP section? Or is that modded as well? I haven't started my own thread yet so I am not 100% sure on the matter.
  29. Democre

Democre

if the goal is to get a dev team together, it belongs in collaboration, unless you're paying with now money, in which case post in commercial

WIP section is to show works in progress, and is not appropriate for the purposes of gathering a team. You can still recruit there, just the main focus should still be on the work that is in progress.

Collab being modded is not a bad thing. The OP as is probably wouldn't have been posted, and subsequently flamed as badly as it was here. If anything, the reasons they give you for why your post was not posted, is generally good advice. If you follow that advice and correct the post, it has a much higher chance of being responded to favorably.
  30. Prion Games

Prion Games

Actually the collab being modded killed team gathering process. I come to a forum to talk within the forum not soley rely on the PM function to say hey I would like to join your project, that is fine for commercial work but people now have no way of knowing if the project is still open, if anyone else has joined yet, the OP has no idea if anyone has even seen it or if anyone has issues with it, I mean that stuff takes ages to get around using a PM because only the person that is getting the PM knows whats going on, very stupid, dumb all around. It cleared up some noise on collab yes, but killed more than what should have been all together. The initial thread needing modded is fine, but not allowing replies is retarded. That if anything is a big slap in the face to the community.
  31. Keiyentai

Keiyentai

I do have to agree I was reading on it and it seem a bit extreme. I understand trying to trim the constant "I NEED A TEAM!!!!!!" *insert idea here thread* but yea kind of threw me off from asking :x for help. I think they should make it based more on maybe a rep thing. *shrugs* Anywho back on topic ostrich160 wish ya luck in your goal man.
  32. ostrich160

ostrich160

Yeh, you guys are right, Im sure if I was joining a team, and lets say I was a programmer, I wouldn't want to join with everyone working except one guy who just tells the others what to make. So Im gonna try 3d modelling, Im already quite good at that and again I have plenty of time to perfect that skill.
  33. Keiyentai

Keiyentai

Sent yea a PM ostrich160
  34. ostrich160

ostrich160

Got it and replied :D
  35. Javila

Javila

Hi i'm an Animator and rigger. I saw your post about the team needed for the hardcore survival game. My name is Jon Avila and I graduated from academy of art university in San Francisco with a BFA in animation. I currently work for a company called Tombolo Interactive where we are working on a project for Disney theme parks, but it is a little slow right now. So I am available for some more free lance work if you are interested in using me I would love to hear back from you.

Here is my website so you can check out some of the work I have done.

www.Javila3d.com

-Cheers

Jon
  36. ostrich160

ostrich160

Hi, thanks so much for the reply, however after talking with some of these guys Ive decided to at least get the money first and I might try my hand at a job in 3d modelling for some of these guys as well, so although Im not looking for help at the moment, Ill come back here later when I am. Thanks :D
  37. Jaimi

Jaimi

Excellent plan.
  38. Batzarro

Batzarro

Aahh, yah don't wanna be that guy anyways;

DayZ creator deals with stress of success;
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/175706/DayZ_creator_deals_with_stress_of_success.php

Kickstarter is coming to the UK? Oh darn, the beginning of the end then. Hundreds of topless slobs on their webcams, with their bellies hanging out asking for cash... I'm British so I can say that! :p

Good stuff. You could also give the free version of Unity a try (if you haven't already), you might find yourself liking how it's used to make games. It also comes with a demo of a big first person jungle level thingy. You could make some basic 3D models in Blender, and then put them into the Unity jungle. Blender also has it's own game engine, but I don't know anything about that. It definitely won't be better than Unity though.
  39. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

I was working on something bizarrely similar to this. A "real" survival game, instead of just shooting everything that moves. I've stumbled upon some technical issues when implementing a navigation algorithm not commonly used in games (never, actually). it works, but it's too slow for games unless I come up with some fancy GPU implementation of it.

Good luck with your project! Keep us updated :)
  40. ostrich160

ostrich160

Yeh, Dean 'Rocket' Hall, the creator of DayZ (a game I am very fond of) has created something amazing, and now he's got the pressure of making it into a fully fledged game. People do change at the sight of money, Ive actually made a nice £8k before in this competition to design the next toy or gadget and get 50% of the profits, my best friends didn't change but who before bullied me for being a bit weird suddenly thought we were best friends. They got nothing though :)
    Yep, kickstarter in the UK, kickstarter will be filled with thousands of cynical brits complaining about the weather, but it'll be great!
    Yeh, I love blender, and Ive tried unity and it is awesome, I love making worlds and filling them with trees and stuff, I just don't use it much because to get the full potential out of it you need to know coding, and while I've learnt Java off a university course, I just can't understand how to use it for game design. I know booleans and if statements, but I don't know how to implement that into unity. And yeh, I don't use blender for its game engine, a 3d modeller is good enough.

Its a new concept now that DayZ is coming along, minecraft sparked it at first for me due to its survival elements but I wanted more to the survival, and so this game was born. On another forum I go one, I've got this idea posted and I've got loads of people interested, they've even set up a fan club for me and my idea, so I love it there, but for advice on how to develop games I come here, they just throw the ideas at me, which is awesome and I love them all for it, but I need more than just ideas to make a game :)
  41. iTon

iTon

This is madness dawg!
    I do wonder though: how are you going to convince kickstarter that this project will ever come to light and that people are not just throwing away their money, without any kind of art work, game preview and a showcase of a good team. Its a loop, you wont get developers without a kickstarter and you wont get kickstarter without developers.
    Also, donors expect goodies for different tears, did you work it out yet?

The dream of an "ideas guy" existed since the first indie game was released. Ive never seen it working out though. You gotta pick up something. 2d artwork, 3d design, programming, anything useful rlly. Even if its just a placeholder. You gotta be involved, or the project will be shelved the second you get a new idea. (And u will)

Ideas guy is also responsible for a design draft. Sketch menus, hud, characters, terrein, inventory, weapons, items etc. Write down key elements of the gameplay, how the character moves, how he interracts with environment, how to engage a player etc.
    Build a physical representation of the game in your room. You can use a shoe as your hero. Move him around, see if its fun. Read some books about game design.
    Programmers write code and artists draw/model. Its up to you to make it clear what exactly to code and exactly what to draw.
    Only after you write EVERYTHING down, can you sit down with the team and brainstorm and build around every single topic. Remember, its not their idea to begin with.

Everyone can dream about their own game. But to make it a reality, you jave to at least spend a few weeks on a design draft, pay from your own pocket for some professional art work, to show that you are serious about this and hook developers and donors. Maybe set up a website. No risk no reward.

But first of all, decide if its even worth the hussle
  42. ostrich160

ostrich160

If you had read my latest posts, I said that I'm not gonna peruse this idea now and first get a job with some people as a 3d modeller and when I do decide to carry on this (once I have the money and experience from the work) Im gonna be both project manager (and do all the stuff you just said, so thank you for that advice) AND 3d modeller :)
  43. rbisso

rbisso

I was terrified when I first started reading this thread, but it ended up being really awesome. Ostrich, I'm really glad to see that you took the advice of your peers and are starting off as a 3d modeler. As a person who has been doing this professionally for over twelve years, with over ten million copies sold (console) under my belt, let me confirm everyone else's assertions that game development is EXTREMELY complex and that complexity increases exponentially as both the ambitiousness of the design and the size of your team increase. Even a team of three extremely competent and experienced developers can take over a year making a relatively simple game (and making it right)... and those people will cost you a minimum of $5000 perperson, per month (far less than what I make), and that's if they don't expect benefits like health insurance (for us Americans, at least, sigh), 401k, etc. Trust me, for good, dedicated people.... *really* good, dedicated people who can help you achieve your dream, this is what I would expect to pay.

I guess what I really want to say is that, if you have a dream and you really want to make it come true, don't hurry it... you'll just end up selling it short and compromising its quality. Rather, throw yourself into the craft, truly learn the ins and outs of games making, make contacts, do people favors and help them achieve their dreams, and your game's time will come.

If you want more advice, feel free to PM. I actually have a buddy who has been working on something similarly ambitious for like the past ten years. It has been a tough road for him. Unity has helped a lot, but it doesn't magically make your game for you (almost ;) ). I'm sure he'd love to share some wisdom.
  44. ostrich160

ostrich160

Exactly, from the help of the people here I came to realise two things
    1). The idea man is NOT part of the game development process, I can't just throw ideas at people and do nothing else
    2). I need to have experience, money and skills

So thats why Im gonna start as a 3d modeller, when I get enough experience and money out of that use the money to join a team with my idea as the project manager (cause its my idea) AND the 3d modeller and maybe use kickstarter if its needed. So for that I say thank you guys, you've stopped me throwing myself into a very very dangerous situation and made me think of how tough the game industry is.

Id love to hear some of your and your friends advice, thank you :D
  45. phex

phex

It´s a long Road from "Trying out Blender" to earn money as 3D-modeler.
    But you are young enough, you have lots of time to gain the needed experience.
    May take you 2-4 years, depending on your talent and how much time you spend on it.

You should start here small too. Do not dive directly into game modeling.
    Learn the basics of the software and rebuild some real things first.

Good luck to you
  46. nipoco

nipoco

Good to hear that you take some of the advices to heart :)

With your age, you have really enough time to get to the point where you want to go.

And Blender is definitely a good choice.
  47. ostrich160

ostrich160

Oh I already know the basics, by trying out blender I mean actually going in and doing something with it, Im actually playing around with it now

Exactly, Im doing this while Im young cause I have the time and I don't need to worry about work or bills or anything like that, and it means if I get it right I won't need to worry about that when Im an adult either :D
  48. Batzarro

Batzarro

I wish I had thought that far ahead when I was younger :p
  49. iTon

iTon

Man i wish that i would start modeling, texturing and animating when i was 16. Would be doing it full time by now.

Anyway, remember that you have to follow before you can lead. So join a team, work on a few projects that are not your own, get some perspective and experience. You might also want to visit a few game jams. Always fun.
    A book that has blown my mind was Jesse Shell's "The art of game design". Anyone who is making a game, should rlly give it a shot.

Also, keep working on that design draft. Even if it never becomes a reality, you'll gain a lot of experience and discover a lot of challenges that will help you in future designs.
  50. Apprenticeneauxs

Apprenticeneauxs

Moderator can you lock this non-commercial work thread now please? Waste of forum space...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.