Search Unity

Game Developer Survey - Independent vs Major Development of Games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MD_Reptile, Oct 22, 2014.

1. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

LINK TO SURVEY:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KJD38JF

Hey guys, today I am starting a short 6 question survey of the developers here on the forums, to ask you a series of questions related to Independent vs Major (with publisher/without publisher) game development in general, and will be using the results in a project I am doing for a college class. No information will be publicly used (outside of here, where it is available on the forums for viewing) in any way, and will only be for my own research project.

Anyway to begin with, I am using a loose definition of Independent and a loose definition of Major ("professional" I refer to them sometimes during the survey, not as a skill level or income but just to describe having a publisher) Developers... I would say try to answer every question to the best of your stance, and if you are more aligned with a large team of developers, then you would be answering from the side of "major" while if your a smaller team without a publisher, then of course answer from the "independent" side. Essentially to be part of the "major" developer side I consider having a publisher as a "major" thing, and please take a moment to select for the first question if your "major" team, (having publisher) is either large or small, which large could be anyone with a development team (not including publisher, not including PR or advertising guys, not including anyone but those directly working within the development cycle, to "build" the game if you will. If your a large team, but without a publisher then I leave it up to you to decide if your more aligned with independent or not) with more than ten members.

For those who take the time to answer, I greatly appreciate it, and if you have anything to add about the polls questions or answers feel free to discuss that here.

LINK TO SURVEY:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KJD38JF

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Hey guys, wanted to bump and get some more results if I could - plus I want to thank the 6 or more users who already answered my survey! I appreciate each and every response, as the more results I have the better my paper I am writing in one of my classes! Again, if there any comments/criticism/concerns of questions/answers then let me know here!

3. Sir-Tiddlesworth

Sir-Tiddlesworth

You're welcome :)

MD_Reptile likes this.
  4. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I did it, but only answered about half the questions, the others didn't apply.

5. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Thanks zombiegorilla!

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

I answered it, not really sure of it's relevance though?

7. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I answered it, but I have to echo ShadowK - most of the questions were slanted and not really relevant. I don't see that this survey is going to do you much good.

8. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

It is indeed a limited survey, I kind of wanted to keep it short and easy to complete, so I could get more people to spend a few moments on it, and because of that I had to cut a few questions that might have been more appropriate. And it certainly isn't highly accurate about any details anyway, really all I will be able to judge from the results are how many people consider themselves indie, and how many consider themselves non-indie... which is helpful to my research paper I am writing which is basically about the differences between producing games as an indie, or a major company, and how an indie might be more recognizing of those indie games... and how they might also eventually want to become "major" down the road.

In hindsight I wish I had included a few more questions regarding specific "major" questions... anyway I appreciate your time to answer Asvarduil! You as well ShadowK!

9. VIC20

VIC20

"right now… eventually…"

It is 2014, I miss "Independent - Commercial, no (never ever) Publisher"
    So far when publishers contacted me (because they want a part of my cake) they usually gave up quickly after I've explained them why they are not suited at all for the job (missing knowledge, wrong staff), that they have absolutely nothing to offer except cash for (almost useless) ads, that I know how guerrilla marketing works and that I already had a meeting with managers of this important industry contact which they want to handle for me in the future. Why should I use a publisher? You can get interns if you need staff for simple tasks.

…and someone who quits game development because he made less than $100k a year has a luxury problem, the GDP per capita is much less in all countries except in Luxembourg.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  10. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Interesting points. Also you're the third person with a cat avatar to post? Lol but yes your right there is too much commercial publishers that are disconnected from the real pulse of the industry it seems. Thanks for responding!

11. VIC20

VIC20

Cats rule their owners. Cats rules the world.

AndrewGrayGames and MD_Reptile like this.
  12. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Oh another thing is, I was wondering if I should change that pay rate to something more realistic for a worldwide average - I stuck with 100k only because it is what a lot of people shoot for is six figures of income a year, at least where I live I see a lot of people who idealize success with the 100k mark... I probably should have used something like 75k, and translated into other currency just to get a more realistic response to that question. I myself answered yes, I would keep working and try to improve my education (what I am in the process of doing right now! haha). I suppose that a more realistic starting figure (especially for indies) would have made more sense...

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well CryTek are classed as an indie and by no measure are they small :).. The term is very loose nowadays, mainly it comes down to do you have a publisher calling the shots? If not then you are an independent company.. You can be a AAA indie lol, it's like melodic doom thrash speed metal.. It's still metal, it's a form of music but there seems a need to classify it for some reason.

14. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Yes and it's actually awesome that some indie teams grow into real AAA studios, as that's what I feel makes the best company. Staying true to your roots, and having nobody to say how or how not to make your games, is what really makes a game company shine to me. I can't say I wouldn't ever take a publishing deal, as it could be a way to temporarily elevate your company to the level needed to become independent and stay that way long term... But if I can help it I'll likely stick with the indie scene and only go join up with a company who answers to a publisher if it's the only way to stay afloat!

Edit - thanks to the 19+ current responses! Awesome!

Deleted User likes this.
  15. VIC20

VIC20

I would try to make a better game.

"something more realistic" I think the best would be to go out on the street and ask anyone if he would stop working if he/she just gets $75k a year. Most people would start laughing.
    Success is when you can do what you want and that works out somehow. I personally have no time for money, I want a full fridge no one who is annoying me and to continue developing games. When you can't live with $75k a year then you've made something terribly wrong.

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  16. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Your right. Wish that had occurred to me prior to writing the questions.

Hope to get a few more responses today!