Search Unity

Game Dev Memes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Miziziziz, Jul 22, 2014.

1. CarterG81

CarterG81

Some of these are pretty good.

Some make me embarassed to post on these forums. Some of you make larpers look like james dean, lol.

I thought I was the biggest nerd in the universe, until I visited this thread. Now I feel like a jock.

Er I mean....FOOTBALL!!!!!!

2. CarterG81

CarterG81

You win this thread.

JovanD and SememeS like this.
  3. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

New programming jargons:
    http://blog.codinghorror.com/new-programming-jargon/

2. Pokémon Exception Handling

6a0120a85dcdae970b0176169669bd970c-800wi.jpg

For when you just Gotta Catch 'Em All so the game works despite having dozens of internal exceptions...

Code (CSharp):
    2. try {
    3. }
    4. catch (Exception ex) {
    5. // Gotcha!
    6. }

5. A Duck

6a0120a85dcdae970b0177437c7a15970d-800wi.jpg

A feature added for no other reason than to draw management attention and be removed, thus avoiding unnecessary changes in other aspects of the product.

I don't know if I actually invented this term or not, but I am certainly not the originator of the story that spawned it.

This started as a piece of Interplay corporate lore. It was well known that producers (a game industry position, roughly equivalent to PMs) had to make a change to everything that was done. The assumption was that subconsciously they felt that if they didn't, they weren't adding value.

The artist working on the queen animations for Battle Chess was aware of this tendency, and came up with an innovative solution. He did the animations for the queen the way that he felt would be best, with one addition: he gave the queen a pet duck. He animated this duck through all of the queen's animations, had it flapping around the corners. He also took great care to make sure that it never overlapped the "actual" animation.

Eventually, it came time for the producer to review the animation set for the queen. The producer sat down and watched all of the animations. When they were done, he turned to the artist and said, "that looks great. Just one thing - get rid of the duck."

10. Jimmy

6a0120a85dcdae970b0177437cb7eb970d-800wi.png

A generalized name for the clueless/new developer.

Found as we were developing a framework component that required minimal knowledge of how it worked for the other developers. We would always phrase our questions as: "What if Jimmy forgets to update the attribute?"

This led to the term: "Jimmy-proof" when referring to well designed framework code.

jashan, StarManta, Miziziziz and 4 others like this.
  4. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

Bug reports

1. BloomBug.
    A bug that unintentionally generates money. A bug in the calculation of HP, MP, number of bullets and/or health packs, that causes players to lose, or unable to complete the mission. This is intentionally there. Won't be fixed.

2. HeisenBug
    A bug that disappears or alters its characteristics when an attempt is made to study it.

3. HindenBug - a catastrophic data destroying bug. May cause player to lose all his IAP purchases.

4. Mad girlfriend bug - a bug whose immediate effect remains hidden - the app outwardly seems to function normally and tells you that everything is fine. Caused by catching too many exceptions.

4. QuantumBug. A bug which the gamer reports. When doing a web-meeting, and/or a phone session with the gamer, the bug mysteriously disappears. Later, the gamer reports it. Then the developers get on a call to the gamer next week. Gamer doesn't respond and bug totally disappears and never heard again.

5. Excalibur Bug - when all of the developers within a company have tried to fix a particular bug but none are worthy have succeeded, so far.

jashan, GibTreaty, JovanD and 4 others like this.
  5. randomperson42

randomperson42

gollumhatred_M.jpg

6. schmosef

schmosef

Thanks guys. Lots of great memes. This one really made me laugh.

7. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

unreal.png

appslabs, jashan, GibTreaty and 2 others like this.
  8. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

9. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

10. smitchell

smitchell

11. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

It's the same as the CEO issue and dubious degree issue. That person set-up a non-existent Institute and starts to solicit others for non-accredited game development courses. He cannot code and tries to join other teams, or seek employment as a developer.

I just wish he would grow-up and realise that he's wasting his time pulling wool on other people's eyes.

if you are a teacher, you need to have a master's degree to teach bachelor's degree, or at least a bachelor's degree with a teaching diploma.

That person gets surprised an University ex-lecturer who question him on his job interview.

And others too:
    • Fake studio artist meets a real studio ex-artist. You can imagine the hilarity that ensue.
    • Fake CEO meets a real CEO of a 100+ game studio company. CEO objective: Getting rid of idea guys is #1 priority to maintain steady cash-flow.
    • Fake Ph.D. person meets a real Ph.D person. Couldn't answer anything on his thesis...
    • Fake Microsoft person meets a real Microsoft ex-employee. That guy knows nothing.
    • Fake Marketing person who resorts to buying fake FB likes, Youtube views and fake Tweets
    • Fake artist who outsources his job overseas...

This forum has the best entertainment and school of hard knocks education you can get :)

Flickayy likes this.
  12. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

@smitchell, keep learning. Don't let 'we' in your head criticise you. One day, when you learned all, you can become an expert in what you do, and make the best games.

Remember, that 'we' does not exist in real life.

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  13. smitchell

smitchell

huh? I'm confused, I never said "Which person..." :S

14. StarManta

StarManta

I'm refactoring code and this will result in the removal of this function. I thought I'd save it here for posterity.

AndrewGrayGames, judah4 and Miziziziz like this.
  15. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

That's a TheDailyWTF entry right there. Bonus points for the ps -al reference subtly woven in.

16. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

So, you mean "never"? :p

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  17. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

It's not like I'm talking to myself. It's like there are several people inside my head, each with a different personality, talking to each other.

18. JovanD

JovanD

If that isn't the definition of schizophrenia idk what is lol.

19. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

Roses are Red. Violets are blue.
    I'm a schizophrenic, and so am I.

Although to be fair, to a certain extent you have to be this way, if your development requires you to wear multiple hats.

GibTreaty and Miziziziz like this.
  20. JovanD

JovanD

That's kinda true, well it's only schizophrenia if you're arguing or fighting with yourself haha.

21. Graph

Graph

'we' agree :D

calmcarrots and Guile_R like this.
  22. Yukichu

Yukichu

That's multiple-personality disorder, not schizophrenia. Granted, if it's a borderline case it can be hard to distinguish.

23. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I did not beat myself up last night. I fell down a flight of stairs.
    Ghost Nappa: You tell 'em, Asvarduil!

24. Miziziziz

Miziziziz

omg that poem is great, gonna have to quote that sometime

25. StarManta

StarManta

The first rule of fight club....

26. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

27. nightbane30

nightbane30

This thread is amazing. We should make a game that just cycles through all of these memes and call it "The Stress Reliever Game: Game Industry Edition".

JovanD likes this.
  28. Teremo

Teremo

My partner knows how to bring my enthusiasm down. Hahaha!

29. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

Get help before you go out of control.

multiple.png

30. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

31. smitchell

smitchell

32. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Can I use this whenever a rabid feminist half-asses their arguments? It would be so funny.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all against women having a place in the gaming or dev community. Just, the 'grand conspiracy against women' thing is a bit old. For one thing, they clearly forgot to send me the memo.

33. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

34. Demigiant

Demigiant

A team posts a link to their website which contains a 100% identical clone of Flappy Bird.

TEAM: Flappy Bird moves from mobile to PC with a new title: "Flappy Bird PC Version"!
    COMMENTERS: Uh? Did you do it as an exercise?
    TEAM: Nono it's our game.
    COMMENTERS: Saying that a 100% clone is "your" game is not very nice.
    TEAM: It's like our child!

(true story)

35. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

36. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

If Unity came with product warnings...

pic2014-08-30_03-26-31_pm.jpg

NotaNaN, xVergilx, Flickayy and 13 others like this.
  37. Miziziziz

Miziziziz

jnoffke likes this.
  38. elmar1028

elmar1028

39. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

In Discrete Structures I had many a moment like this. But, it was worth it.

kablammyman likes this.
  40. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

41. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

42. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

@Aiursrage2k Wha tha fuua did I just spend thirty seconds of my live in a comatose state for?

43. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

Anti Patterns
    http://sourcemaking.com/antipatterns/software-development-antipatterns

• The Blob
      Procedural-style design leads to one object with a lion’s share of the responsibilities, while most other objects only hold data or execute simple processes. The solution includes refactoring the design to distribute responsibilities more uniformly and isolating the effect of changes.

• Continuous Obsolescence
      Technology is changing so rapidly that developers often have trouble keeping up with current versions of software and finding combinations of product releases that work together. Given that every commercial product line evolves through new releases, the situation is becoming more difficult for developers to cope with. Finding compatible releases of products that successfully interoperate is even harder.

• Lava Flow
      Dead code and forgotten design information is frozen in an ever-changing design. This is analogous to a Lava Flow with hardening globules of rocky material. The refactored solution includes a configuration management process that eliminates dead code and evolves or refactors design toward increasing quality.

• Ambiguous Viewpoint
      Object-oriented analysis and design (OOA&D) models are often presented without clarifying the viewpoint represented by the model. By default, OOA&D models denote an implementation viewpoint that is potentially the least useful. Mixed viewpoints don’t allow the fundamental separation of interfaces from implementation details, which is one of the primary benefits of the object-oriented paradigm.

• Functional Decomposition
      This AntiPattern is the output of experienced, nonobject-oriented developers who design and implement an application in an object-oriented language. The resulting code resembles a structural language (Pascal, FORTRAN) in class structure. It can be incredibly complex as smart procedural developers devise very “clever” ways to replicate their time-tested methods in an object-oriented architecture.

• Poltergeists
      Poltergeists are classes with very limited roles and effective life cycles. They often start processes for other objects. The refactored solution includes a reallocation of responsibilities to longer-lived objects that eliminate the Poltergeists.

• Boat Anchor
      A Boat Anchor is a piece of software or hardware that serves no useful purpose on the current project. Often, the Boat Anchor is a costly acquisition, which makes the purchase even more ironic.

• Golden Hammer
      A Golden Hammer is a familiar technology or concept applied obsessively to many software problems. The solution involves expanding the knowledge of developers through education, training, and book study groups to expose developers to alternative technologies and approaches.

• Dead End
      A Dead End is reached by modifying a reusable component if the modified component is no longer maintained and supported by the supplier. When these modifications are made, the support burden transfers to the application system developers and maintainers. Improvements in the reusable component are not easily integrated, and support problems can be blamed upon the modification.

• Spaghetti Code
      Ad hoc software structure makes it difficult to extend and optimize code. Frequent code refactoring can improve software structure, support software maintenance, and enable iterative development.

• Input Kludge
      Software that fails straightforward behavioral tests may be an example of an input kludge, which occurs when ad hoc algorithms are employed for handling program input.

• Walking through a Minefield
      Using today’s software technology is analogous to walking through a high-tech mine field. Numerous bugs are found in released software products; in fact, experts estimate that original source code contains two to five bugs per line of code.

• Cut-and-Paste Programming
      Code reused by copying source statements leads to significant maintenance problems. Alternative forms of reuse, including black-box reuse, reduce maintenance issues by having common source code, testing, and documentation.

• Mushroom Management
      In some architecture and management circles, there is an explicit policy to keep system developers isolated from the system’s end users. Requirements are passed second-hand through intermediaries, including architects, managers, or requirements analysts.

AndrewGrayGames and calmcarrots like this.
  44. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

Refuctoring - http://www.waterfall2006.com/Refuctoring.pdf

What Is Refuctoring?

Refuctoring is the process of taking a well- designed piece of code and, through a series of small, reversible changes, making it completely unmaintainable by anybody except yourself. Comprehensive regression testing guarantees that nobody will be any the wiser.

pic2014-09-01_01-45-05_am.jpg

45. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

That one summarises up my entire experience of Xcode.

AndrewGrayGames and elmar1028 like this.
  46. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

So, we translate our code into pig latin?

Seems like a perfectly viable, productive way of coding. I'll be sure to do that immediately.

47. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

Is lorem ipsem not a programming language yet?

AndrewGrayGames and Miziziziz like this.
  48. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

It'd never work. Lorem ipsum is only five words anyways.

49. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Ey? I believe it's actually quite a long passage of latin prose.

50. DallonF

DallonF

It's randomly generated pseudo-Latin, although the first phrase is often "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit", which is still gibberish, but based on an actual Latin phrase.

*click* know-it-all mode disengaged, returning to meme-appreciation mode