Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

1. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

any news on the commit to asset store?i would like to believe we only have few days left. Im so eager to finally use this plugin, me and my project is waiting for your asset Adam.

jdraper3, Licarell, Rick- and 8 others like this.
  2. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I had planned to spend most of last week doing doco, however the beta group found an issue with interpolation that would happen in some scenarios. Rather than get bad reviews I decided I would resolve it once and for all. At same time had to also create a bunch of the multi-terrain infrastructure. Almost done as of today. Tomorrow morning with fresh eyes should have the last of it sorted, then back to doco for launch.

Pecek, one_one, Licarell and 10 others like this.
  3. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Added some new capability today to enable the best mix of procedural and non procedural control over your environments.

A simple path cut into the terrain - notice the bottom layer in Photoshop is an export of the terrain as a height map to guide you in where to draw your path. Is switched off here as I am about to export it as a mask.

A view of physical terrain deformation based on that mask, plus mask specific texturing. In this example i dug the path into the terrain a few meters. Same concept could be used for rivers, lakes etc. The stencil mask I used also has the ability to be inverted - so you could add height as easily as you can remove it. That could have been a wall as easily as a well worn path.

A quick tweak of the mask and I have added trees around the path.

Also cut RC3 today. The interpolation issues I had last week should now be a thing of the past. Also, created the base infrastructure to create multi-tile terrains - which will be in the first update post launch.

4. S4G4N

S4G4N

this just adds SOO MUCH to what can be done and control in the user's hands

AdamGoodrich, kittik and julianr like this.
  5. closetgeekshow

closetgeekshow

I was just wondering the other day if path tools like this were included in GAIA, i guess i have my answer :)

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  6. mwituni

mwituni

Simply awesome addition!

And thanks, Teila :)

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  7. smada-luap

smada-luap

Just a quick pic showing how procedurally spawned trees, etc. in Gaia works nicely against already placed objects on the terrain - the maple trees on the left here and the line of bushes near to the houses in the background were placed before I got Gaia to put in the other trees, grass details, etc.

screenshot61.jpg

mwituni, S4G4N, bartm4n and 2 others like this.
  8. mk1978

mk1978

Is there some video available that would show how to place/paint textures or place vegetation on Terrain? For example can you use splatmaps for placing textures/vegetation?

S4G4N and AdamGoodrich like this.
  9. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

There will be soon - doing documentation now.

S4G4N likes this.
  10. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

I hope that it is easy to make paths that are slightly below the normal ground level. The picture you show is more like a River running through the terrain since it goes so deep instead of a path. I'm sure your intent was just to show to possibility to do masks. I'm terrible at masks, so I normally don't do them. I just hand paint my path which is a pain. So it would be cool to know that it is easy with your solution.

AdamGoodrich and S4G4N like this.
  11. smada-luap

smada-luap

There's a new addition into the latest RC which should make this a lot easier to deal with. I'm hopefully doing some testing on this tonight :)

99thmonkey and S4G4N like this.
  12. S4G4N

S4G4N

@99thmonkey There is a depth setting as well as the grey-scale factor, so that the whiter or the blacker it is, the more or the less the chiseling will be into the landscape as far as I understand from @AdamGoodrich

99thmonkey likes this.
  13. smada-luap

smada-luap

Okay... here's the result of some experimenting tonight using the latest RC version. Now, this is just rough and is without any real documentation or examples of the whole process that you need to go through (other than some brief examples Adam showed the beta testers in a private chat as he was developing this :D ), so muddling through all of this, it took me about a half hour or so, but I would guess that once the whole process is understood it'll be very quick to add in pathways/rivers/whatever you want...

First off, I painted a path across the terrain using Unity's own terrain texture tools. I wasn't worried about this as I knew I'd be retexturing the whole terrain anyway.

Untitled-5a.jpg

Gaia then let me export this out as a mask, which I then pulled back into Gaia so that I could use it to create the data Gaia needed to then be able to depress the terrain so that the path had a worn look from lots of foot traffic.

Then it was back to texturing the terrain, but this time I used the mask once more and this time telling Gaia that the strength of the textures on the terrain was directly proportional to the greyscale image (black - don't bother, full white - 100% strength of that texture)

After a bit of further experimenting, I ended up with this

Untitled-5.jpg

So I dare say that once I get used to this then paths shouldn't be a problem any more :D

14. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Looks neat. I guess you can't assign the mask a dirt or path texture. I could even imagine a mask for a village that might be carved into the terrain. Looks good though!

S4G4N likes this.
  15. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yep. You can draw on the terrain using the standard terrain texture paint brush and then export that as a mask that can be used to both modify the terrain and also control where things spawn.

It was one of those simple ideas, was surprisingly easy to implement, and it works so well.

I have some ideas on how to make this even better, and will explore them post release.

Rick-, mwituni, S4G4N and 2 others like this.
  16. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Another cool use of masking is rivers. When I was testing I bought up a satellite map of the Amazon river and took a screen shot. Then I used Photoshop to make a mask of just the river. Then I used Gaia to apply it to my terrain. All up it took 10 mins.

It was one of those, I wonder what would happen if... type ideas. And I was super happy with the result.

In the documentation I am creating a recipes section. I will show some of these things off to stimulate some creativity :)

Rick-, mwituni, 99thmonkey and 3 others like this.
  17. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Just noticed this - you can assign the mask anything you like - grass, dirt etc, or rocks or trees, or any other game object in the spawner :)

Rick-, 99thmonkey and S4G4N like this.
  18. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Fun. Especially the object spawner part

S4G4N likes this.
  19. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Here is a simple example with some trees - its rough and done in a few minutes - but shows off the power of the technique.

1. Paint the mask you want onto your terrain.

2. Spawn some trees there.

3. Texture as normal.

Rick-, S4G4N, mwituni and 6 others like this.
  20. jdraper3

jdraper3

So many awesome tools being made by the community - it's a great time to be a Unity dev :) I bet that many AAA studios don't even have something internally that compares to this.

21. S4G4N

S4G4N

@jdraper3 That is one of the big strengths of Unity
    Many tools come along and are being developed and released that after seeing there power users state that this should have been part of Unity itself. And mostly they are correct in their statements.
    But the way I see it is that If Unity had added each of these at some stage themselves, they would have all mostly been mediocre, for they would not have had the resources to pour into each tool the resources and effort that is now being poured into each little function/plug-in by there respective devs.
    Each package is being nurtured and developed by there creators and receiving individual attention a large developer would not have been doing.

Rick- and jdraper3 like this.
  22. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Updated the first post to show what will be in initial release - getting very close now - deep in doco mode.

Gaia capability overview...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  23. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

Hi adam, just curious, what is water based modelling?

24. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I think it is referring to how water flow would further shape terrain...

S4G4N likes this.
  25. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Its been fascinating. The more I look into how nature works, to try and simulate it, the more I realise how important water is.

By modelling water flow this not only shapes the terrain, but also what grows and lives there.

So water modelling has some pretty profound implications on shape, texturing, and growth / population dynamics.

26. one_one

one_one

Great! Completely agreed there, it's definitely one of the things that make all those elements of terrains connect. Having a system to simulate that is amazing.

S4G4N likes this.
  27. smada-luap

smada-luap

A couple of pics for #screenshotsaturday :)

I think I've got too many grasses/flowers spawning in. May have to look at the config settings...

screenshot63.jpg

Also, who dumped these great rocks just offshore?

screenshot64.jpg

28. S4G4N

S4G4N

@smada luap I like the new Thatched roof buildings from the latest Exteriors Update, they very much a countryside type roof choice

BackwoodsGaming and smada-luap like this.
  29. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I need to pull some of those out and make some prefabs of them to throw in the spawners. Love the ones you donated to the project, but think little thatch cottages match a little more for the stuff I'm doing..

S4G4N likes this.
  30. docsavage

docsavage

@AdamGoodrich. Currently watching gaias progress with much interest. Those scenes by smadaluap look very professional and I like his work. As long has it performs well I think the extra foliage looks great.

In the second picture he posts the meadow effectively runs up to beach and sea. Is it possible to control how close expected ground types spawn to each other? i.e a graduation between beach and grasslands for salt water environments. Obviously less of an issue with fresh water environments. Just a thought.

doc

S4G4N likes this.
  31. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

You have fairly complete control over you spawn criteria via heightmap, what textures you want it to spawn on, terrain slope, and with the latest Adam added in which he has shown in screenshots over the past week you can now even use stencils.

S4G4N likes this.
  32. smada-luap

smada-luap

That's all possible - even though you can't see it from this angle, I have it set up so that the grass is definitely separated from the sea by the sand. The height at which the grass texture layer (or any texture really) starts is fully configurable - even down to the strength at which it starts

S4G4N likes this.
  33. smada-luap

smada-luap

Damn phone keypad. Shawn beat me to it :)

S4G4N and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  34. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Heheh... It is usually me that has things responded to while I'm typing em out.. And I don't have phone as an excuse as I'm always responding via computer.. Just too windy I guess (or full of s#!t - depending on who you ask... lol)

S4G4N likes this.
  35. docsavage

docsavage

Thanks @Shawn67,

Sounds like what I was thinking. I haven't seen the system but all you beta testers are producing some great results. This could be a winner of an asset. I bought RTP ages ago in a sale. Are they compatible? Is RTP made redundant by gaia??

S4G4N likes this.
  36. docsavage

docsavage

No worries. I like that meadow scene, I could live somewhere that nice.

S4G4N likes this.
  37. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Gaia works with standard unity terrain.. RTP should work without a problem. Not sure what the exact workflow would be though, but they are definitely compatible companion products.

docsavage and S4G4N like this.
  38. docsavage

docsavage

@smada luap. Was just re-reading some more on gaia here to get an idea and just realised something went mad with my browser. Your response quoted above didn't show but the others did. Strange. Thanks anyway

39. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

They are compatible. You could argue that Gaia is compatible with everything, because it is vanilla unity I.e. no custom shaders or other tricks.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  40. docsavage

docsavage

Thanks for the reply Adam.

Sounds great but you don't need me to tell you that. 20 pages of forum thread and it's still not released!!!

41. hopeful

hopeful

The folks here are chatty. ;)

docsavage likes this.
  42. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yeah tedious :) Seriously tho - the beta users keep having great ideas - and so do I - and I really am over calling this forum a WIP. Come rain hail or shine I am submitting to asset store this week!

digiross, ibyte, Licarell and 14 others like this.
  43. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Any news? It's so quiet in this thread...
    Did something came up? Everything fine for submitting this week?
    Week is almost over ;)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  44. smada-luap

smada-luap

45. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I think he is focusing on documentation now and only doing last minute bug fixes. Not sure how much more he has to go, but user manual shaping up nicely. I would guess that as long as we don't encounter any huge bugs at the last minute that he might be able to submit in the next few days. Not sure how much tutorial stuff he has planned and how much of it needs to be done before submission for Unity to approve. Assume some of that will probably be done while waiting for it to get approved. At any rate, I'm sure he'll pop in with a response once he's awake.

heheh... We need a launch countdown.. It is almost like New Year's.. Waiting for the ball to drop... lol

46. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Almost there. Pushing hard to get that documentation done :)

S4G4N, jdraper3, John-G and 3 others like this.
  47. S4G4N

S4G4N

Whoohoo, soon soon :):):)

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  48. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Needed to play again... :)

Amazing how lovely raw landscape can be with some nice lighting.

Making good progress on documentation.. doing the documentation (and the beta group) also highlighted some usability issues.

Almost there!

49. lazygunn

lazygunn

Right this is HANDS DOWN the most fun and most productive time i've had creating terrain, its a true creative process rather than an ordeal

Here's an evening's work from the surreal side

AdamGoodrich, Rick-, bartm4n and 2 others like this.
  50. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Gaia has the ability to ingest and leverage features from other tools - here is some world machine terrain - with flow and deposition maps applied - then populated with grass and trees. Only asset not included in Gaia scene shown here is Time of Day which was used for the lighting. Time to create - 15 mins!