Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

1. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Cool - i will review it - and perhaps will include it in the next patch release - is this ok ?

DarkXess likes this.
  2. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

Yes, great idea, more sliders, I can do prominently placed sliders.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  3. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Heheh.. Thanks for sharing that again. I think I probably posted it around page 30 and then again about halfway between there and whatever page we are on now. This would probably be a good one to add to the first post, Adam. I wish Unity would get their act together and put it back as a page link where it belongs... :(

runningbird and AdamGoodrich like this.
  4. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Hey gang.. Just a quick suggestion, to be respectful to Adam let's keep any discussion of competitive products and non-Gaia support stuff in the threads for those products. I know Adam said he enjoyed the open discussion, but I think he was referring more to the open discussion of how you are using other products with Gaia and not making the thread a total open discussion. With the thread approaching 100 pages, it is already pretty full making it more difficult for those who are new to Gaia to find information. The search link posted a couple posts back will help some, but not all.

I know a lot of folks, including me, subscribe to all of the threads by asset authors whose products we use. So chances are, if you post somewhere asking about another product and we are using it, we will most likely be responding there as well.

At any rate, I know Adam is the type of guy who probably wouldn't come out and say anything even if this is bothering him. Before we push him to that point, lets save his sanity a little and keep things a little more on point.

Speaking of which, I will be starting a couple of new threads shortly. One for my announcement and another for the Gaia and Sectr tutorial that I started. I'm just mainly waiting to get things wrapped up on a new website which I will be linking to in both. :)

5. runningbird

runningbird

Sure thing please do add it.

I'm going to work on an update that will look at what time of day it is on your system and set it in game as an extra function.

6. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yep its an interesting one - on the one hand I want to keep it lean - the sampler assets take up the majority of the space in the updates - and on the other hand I want to provide a great experience out of the box so that people get a starting point and a sense of what can be done.

The SpeedTrees are a key part of the default setup and if I don't provide them someone is sure to have an issue :)

Would be nice if Unity had a nice dependency mechanism so that you only got the new stuff you needed.

7. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Been working some more on the terrain. I've set a single terrain at 4096x4096 without any significant framerate hit, and thinking about doubling the size as I was able to walk across it in little time at all, and a larger terrain will be needed considering the player will be able to drive. The recommendation of smaller terrain sizes only really applies to terrains with mountains? As I really didn't see any impact on performance which I imagine is because there are no hills. Here's a screenshot using a different LUT I created.

SSAA.png

8. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Quite a pretty randomly generated environment :)

Grab 20160301132812 w1900h1200 x264y132z483r191.jpg

9. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Hey Adam
    And you mentioned that in next time, you will only create point-updates, meaning only some code-changes, which result changing some kb.
    I don´t want to download 933mb every time, as internet consumes already 5% of energy on planet(and raising 5-7% every year).
    I think that´s a real paradoxon for a kind of software, which is trying to recreate nature phenomenons.
    Yeah, that needs to be solved. For unity assets there should be some patching mechanism.

Cheers
    Michael

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  10. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Ok gang.. I just started a new thread with my announcement of Terrain Stamp Packs for Gaia.. I should be submitting the first two packs to the Asset Store either tonight or tomorrow.. You can read all the details and discuss in my new thread. Feel free to leave any suggestions for stamp packs you would like to see and I will see what I can do. Please direct any questions/feedback on the packs in that thread. :)

I will also be starting a new thread for the tutorial I started within the next couple of days, once I get these submitted for review.

More screenies can be found on my Backwoods Gaming website.

11. KingLlama

KingLlama

So it seems my colliders on trees are not working correctly. Is there a way to go about that? It's showing double colliders for tree spawner.

12. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Colliders on trees have been tested extensively and work fine to the best of my knowledge. Gaia will add another collider during spawning to stop spawn collisions - but will also disable them at run time.

If you really want to get rid of them - at the completion of all spawning - just delete them - they are parented to the spawners.

KingLlama likes this.
  13. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Playing with Shawns new stamps, and the SpeedTree Desktop Tree and Ground pack integration's :)

Grab 20160301165608 w1900h1200 x-36y77z159r199.jpg

14. Funkymotha

Funkymotha

Do only speed trees work with the spawner? I wanted to purchase the Big Environment Pack but I'm not sure if it'll work with the spawner. I tried adding adding some free tree assets form the store such as Realistic Tree 10, but they do not add to the spawner when I get from terrain.

15. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Any tree that works as a terrain tree or a game object will work with the spawners.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  16. MornFall

MornFall

Hello all,
    Can Gaia be used with RTP for the terrain painting ? Thanks.

17. magique

magique

Gaia uses standard Unity terrain. Anything that works with standard unity terrain will work with Gaia. RTP definitely qualifies.

18. Quique-Martinez

Quique-Martinez

Microsoft paint is to Photoshop as Unity's built in terrain tool is to Gaia ;)
    Landscape.png

19. Funkymotha

Funkymotha

Ok maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong then.

I created a terrain and spawned using the defaults. Then created a new resource file. I placed the new game object onto the terrain and used get resources from terrain. When I go back to the inspector for my new resource file the two create game object spawners are greyed out.

20. MornFall

MornFall

I am running into a little issue trying to use Gaia and RTP.
    SS.jpg

RTP Does not handle the texture tiling like unity terrain controller does :-(

Any one have a workaround ?

21. docsavage

docsavage

@Feydwin

Am still learning how to use RTP but it may be that your tile sizes have got messed up. You may want to check the sizes in serttings.

I recommend you ask on the RTP thread though as tomaszek is very good at supporting his products. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/re...-v3-on-assetstore.206516/page-90#post-2534150

Sorry if not much help.

22. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Get resources from terrain doesn't get objects you placed onto the terrain. It gets resources that are defined in your terrain object. If you created your terrain using Gaia, you can find your terrain file by opening Gaia Environment in your project hierarchy view. After opening it you will see Terrain followed by a bunch of numbers. If you click on that, you'll see a row of icons. Click on the one that is a single tree and it will show you the trees that are defined on the terrain. Those are the resources Gaia loads when you click Get resources from terrain. It loads trees, grasses, and ground textures that are defined in the different buttons there on your terrain object.

23. Funkymotha

Funkymotha

Ok I assumed it grabbed game objects as well. So to add a new game object to the spawner I have to go to the resource inspector and drag them into the "drop game objects prefab here" under game object prototypes?

24. magique

magique

There is a limitation in RTP which forces all terrain textures to have the same tiling values. That may be the root of your problem.

25. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

You can do it that way, or you can click Edit Trees button where I described before, then click Add Tree, and drag the tree game object into the game object field for the tree definition. Then once all of your trees are there that you want to add, you can then use the Get Resources from Terrain button in your Resources file. I just tested setting up a tree from one of the Big Environment Packs and it works fine that way. That is what you said you was wanting to spawn, right?

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  26. hike1

hike1

I'm trying to make Gaia spawn dungeon GO's in a 75x75 dungeon, I made a flat terrain that size, have 3 GO's in
    my GO spawner, but they all show red on the visualizer, what kind of rules will make them spawn? Also, the
    spawner is 1025x1025, can this be changed?

Attached Files:

27. Funkymotha

Funkymotha

Yes, that's what I was trying to do. When I added the tree the way you were saying I was trying to paint it in, I didn't try dragging it in.
    Yeah that's the pack I was going to purchase today. I was trying a free tree from the store to test it first.
    Thanks as always! Trying to learn the ins and outs of this so sorry if I've been a pain. I've got some leftover footsteps that I recorded a few months ago for a project if you guys want them for a future update. Stone, grass, leaves, sand, dirt, water and I'm pretty sure I did some long grass too.

28. MOSTY

MOSTY

With every update its gets better and better! Awesome work!

S4G4N and AdamGoodrich like this.
  29. KingLlama

KingLlama

It seems when I go in play mode though I can walk through them still. Ill do more testing tonight.

30. runningbird

runningbird

GAIA now has a new compatibility with PlyGame and their Blox visual scripting:
    Plygame forum post :)

I created a blox around the Lighting Effects that are included with GAIA and it allows you to set the TimeOfDay using the PlyGame blox visual scripting.

Oh and of course this is FREE!!!

TimeOfDayBlox.PNG

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  31. magique

magique

Some testing I'm doing for my game using Gaia terrain. I built the terrain with Gaia, but only added sparse vegetation and other stuff manually for testing. Also using uSky 1.x, Distingo, and PA Particle Field for snow.

32. runningbird

runningbird

Wow that looks awesome!

magique likes this.
  33. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Very cool! :)

magique likes this.
  34. maxaud

maxaud

So I've downloaded Gaia and created a new scene. Followed the steps in the Quick Start guide and when instructed to go to the GX menu there are no options under there. Anything I'm missing? Thank you.

35. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yeah - open Gaia Manager - then close it - then open it again - wait for the compile to complete - sorry about that - its an annoying bug - i will be submitting fix for it today.

36. maxaud

maxaud

Thanks for the prompt response. It's now showing up. Much appreciated.

37. DarkXess

DarkXess

Nice work, have you thought about using this Winter Ground Pack: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/54301

:)

runningbird likes this.
  38. magique

magique

Actually, that is what I'm using. But I wasn't very particular and just picked some textures from the pack and threw it together so perhaps it could be better when I get to the actual game areas. This is all just test stuff so I can get the lighting just right and performance.

runningbird and DarkXess like this.
  39. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

This looks like the location increment in the texture spawner is incorrect - the default setting is 1 - perhaps make it 0.5 instead.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  40. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

In case anyone is wondering 1.5.2 just went live - its not an essential fix - a few minor issues including the GX - INSTALLED - Procedural Worlds menu problem - easily worked around by opening and closing the Gaia Manager window twice.

Anyway the upload seems to have glitched. Its reporting as approximately twice its original size - and I have no idea why. If you do happen to download it just seems to be large - dont worry - it still imports properly and seems to work properly.

I have sent a message to the asset store staff to see if they can work out why it is so large.

docsavage likes this.
  41. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Okay, I've finally got some pics of what I'm working on, updated with Gaia 1.5 and Distingo. I won't post them all, but here's one to get you started:

My Evil Empire 00002.jpg

(The ScreenShotter works quite well btw. Thanks Adam!)

Assets used:

Gaia (and included 3rd party assets)
    Various Speedtrees
    Distingo
    Ceto
    Motion Controller
    Adventure Cam Rig

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  42. docsavage

docsavage

I really like that little hover plane thingy you character is flying. Great Scene there. After my test a good few posts back using birds and livestock in scenes I really recommend considering anyone to add them. I had about 100 seagulls flying around a cliff face with no real performance drop. I think they'd look great there.

Edit: Are the roads done with easyroads?

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  43. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Great stuff :)

Glad you are up and running again!

How are you finding things now after a little time with it ?

You are always welcome to pm me.

44. docsavage

docsavage

Just had a look at the shots on the link. Looks like a genuinely fun adventure game growing there.The whale shaped blimps are nice.

45. DarkXess

DarkXess

runningbird likes this.
  46. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I have some Pterodactyls flying around, but they're too far away in the pics. All you see are black spots on the horizon in some of them. The roads were made the hard way, in a 3D modelling program, and then carved into the terrain by hand. :eek:

Working fine now. The stone heads in some of the pics were placed using the object spawner, and as you can see, my extra SpeedTrees are spawning as well. I needed to hit the object spawn button about a hundred times to get a dozen heads in the scene, but that may have been because there weren't a lot of suitable places to put them. I'll maybe look at the spawn criteria at some point to see where the problem is, but I have what I need for now. :)

Thanks. I wanted a place where I could race cars, get my Steampunk on, and maybe hunt dinosaurs... or zombies. It's coming together nicely. ;)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  47. docsavage

docsavage

Shame can't see the Pterodactyls. That looks to me like the ideal place for an underground evil villain base.

48. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

YES, there is an evil underground base. I just don't have any pics of it yet cause I'm still working on it. ;)

Edit: OK just one...

Inside1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  49. elbows

elbows

Not twice as large for me, about as half as large again as the previous version (i.e. about 1.4GB rather than 9xx MB). Once imported the size it takes up in the Assets folder of a project is pretty much identical to the previous version. The size of the latest package is also very similar to the size of the folder once imported into a project, perhaps implying that the bundled version hasn't compressed the files at all for some reason?

50. tapticc

tapticc

Hi, I've been working on multi-terrains. For each terrain piece, I disabled all other terrains and then clicked Fit to Terrain on the texture spawner to position the spawner around the current terrain piece. Once this had been textured I enabled just the next piece and repeated the process. I am getting some seams and would appreciate any advice on how to automatically account for them rather than painting manually!