Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

1. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

2. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I am curious - would there be any interest here in doing a course in environmental level design with Unity if I were to put one together?

It would be a combination of live to virtual classroom training, plus pre-created content.

Topics covered would include things like the theory behind level design. How to configure Unity for performance. How to configure Gaia to get the best out of it. How to set up unity lighting etc.

It would also be a paid thing.

TheSeawolf, ektw, Stormy102 and 5 others like this.
  3. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Made some screenies while I was working on the perfect companion to Gaia. Not long to go now ;)

Grab 20160530055153 w1920h1029 x103y77z-138r245.jpg
    Grab 20160530055214 w1920h1029 x139y82z-65r203.jpg

4. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

#tip: It's easy to get too hung up on doing things with Gaia. This is fine when everything works, but when troubleshooting a problem like this, you sometimes need to go back to basics. It's important to remember that the water Gaia uses is a standard Unity asset, part of the Environment Assets package, which is part of the complete Standard Assets package you get from Unity. As a final test before spending more money, you might want to do this:
    1. Create a new project
    2. In the new project dialog, choose "3D"
    3. Press the "Asset packages" button under the 2D/3D selection, and select the "Environment" package
    4. After Unity creates the new project, look under "Standard Assets>Environment>Water>Water4>Prefabs" in the Project pane
    5. Drag one of the prefabs into your scene, and size and position it so your main camera can see it
    Is it still pink? If so, it would seem to be a Unity problem. You can then either re-download Unity, using their download assistant to get the matching Standard Assets package, re-install it all, and try again, or go shopping for a water replacement. If you do, I can recommend Ceto for large ocean bodies, and Aquas for smaller lakes and streams. Others here have had good results using Suimono, and it's developer is a regular contributor here, so you won't go wrong there either.

If the water isn't pink after manually placing it in your scene, you should be able to successfully add it using Gaia as well. If doing so still gives you the pink color, after manually placing the water worked, come back and let Adam know, and I'm sure he can help you get to the bottom of it.

As Adam and many others have stated here many times, Gaia uses standard Unity terrains and other assets. If they don't work with Gaia, you should always try them on their own to verify that you have Unity and its Standard Assets properly installed. The same applies when spawning assets like trees and grass. They all need to work properly in Unity before Gaia can use them. Good luck. ;)

nomansohail and AdamGoodrich like this.
  5. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I just created a fresh project in Unity 5.3.5p1 - imported only the standard environment assets - and dropped in advanced water on a simple terrain.

I got the issue you are describing i.e. Water is broken in Unity. I tried all their water prefabs out - and they are all broken. Please see attached screen shot. Gaia just assembles terrains and puts the bits together for you. It can not however fix bugs in unity :(

I have multiple versions of Unity on my PC, and am wondering if somehow Unity isn't picking up standard assets correctly. Will see if i can find a workaround.

Broken Water.jpg

FargleBargle likes this.
  6. Revelation_Jeff

Revelation_Jeff

Hey everyone,

Here's a first Pre-alpha gameplay hunting clip from our Adventure-survival game "Rise of the King". Showcasing our cool Gaia terrain. Still early on but we're having fun =) Feedback is always appreciated and let me know if anything looks terrible to you.

TheSeawolf, ikazrima, Baraff and 12 others like this.
  7. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Ok - so I found a work around.

I would advise you to follow these instructions very carefully, and to test on a blank project first.

Open this link and download the Unity Standard Assets Samples. Looks like they released a version for Unity 5.3.1.

Create a fresh new project and Import only the assets I have checked in the image below. In particular they have a bunch of project settings - you don't want to take those - I have no idea how they might have modified unity from its standard settings.

Import.jpg

Then import Gaia and do your usual thing. Below is an image with Unity water working again. Gaia should also operate as normal.

Terrain Fix 2.jpg

8. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

DarkXess, S4G4N and John-G like this.
  9. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Its an interesting point - infinite terrains sound great - until you want to make an actual game.

If your entire environment is procedural - and you are sufficiently skilled to make all your game play procedural - and all your villages interesting and procedural - and all those neat game play things that make a game interesting all procedural - then this is very cool... on top of that you need to be sufficiently skilled to also overlay the distinct large areas that simulate any sort of real world environment into your tools i.e. deserts vs continents vs alpine environments vs islands etc. And it somehow needs to be fresh and interesting.

By comparison, Gaia is intended to be a game design tool for use by people :) You want a desert - plug in some mesas - want an island then plunk down an island - want a mountain etc etc. Then to fine tune you want a nice flatish platform to put a heli landing pad or a gnarly valley full of fire breathing dragons...etc etc. It's all there and its all in the editor and its easy for anyone to add in the interesting game play magic you want. Gaia allows you to design the environment that suits the type of game you want to make rather than hope that the random numbers and your ability to influence them all stack up.

My original system did what map magic does (btw I think it looks like a very nice piece of software), but when I took on a project where I had to answer a brief and infinite pseudo random terrains weren't remotely going to cut it. Gaia has a specific design intent, and Map Magic has a different design intent - and if you can afford it then get both :)

The longer term plan is to do something very sophisticated - that can be as large as you like - and to stream it from the cloud - but shorter term Gaia will continue to focus on its key strengths - which is its ability to quickly and easily design pretty environments to suit the game play you are trying to create.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  10. docsavage

docsavage

That's looks really well done. It's interesting how you have manged to get a nice amount of vegetation but not too much without it looking sparse. The scenes look full but I can't see grass billboards etc. Nice

11. Revelation_Jeff

Revelation_Jeff

Thanks for the feedback man! Always trying to improve things hehe. =)

12. closetgeekshow

closetgeekshow

Add the trees, textures and details to the terrain as normal and then go to your Resources file and click "Get Resources from Terrain" in the Inspector, you can also manually change the trees, textures and details inside the Resources file but it's kind of a pain in the ass to do it that way (if you do though, you'll need to press "Replace Resources in Terrain" in the Inspector or start a new terrain from scratch in the Gaia Manager).

13. Arganth

Arganth

holy S*** ^^ thats amazing :cool: did not know that was possible

14. closetgeekshow

closetgeekshow

Blew my mind when I got the hang of it too - you can also duplicate the original Resources file to keep as a backup and then feel free to modify to your heart's content without worry of "breaking" it.

BackwoodsGaming and AdamGoodrich like this.
  15. nomansohail

nomansohail

You cant imagine how greatful i am adam :) Not on not only did you find the problem you also went ahead and posted a solution, I mean you couldve left it at "its unity's problem not mine" but no you went ahead and solved it :) Thank you very very much. Yes it works perfectly now :)

16. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

Nice Adam, I think you are doing it exactly right. Infinite Terrains are something I got excited about years ago but as you say, there are difficulties. How to put an object at a particular set of coordinates (or random) and keep it at ground level being one. When you finally come across it, is it stuck inside a tree or on the side of a cliff being another. I think it will be possible, like an area could be flattened for each object, or the nearest suitable area be found to place an object.
    Like you say, it's all about intent. The romantic notion of an 'infinite terrain' that one could wander on to one's heart's content and come across unusual buildings or people or animals or situations may become viable and does have something going for it.
    I may look at MapMagic a little closer, it'll be interesting to see just what can be done with it.

BackwoodsGaming and AdamGoodrich like this.
  17. nomansohail

nomansohail

I would be interested in this

And thank you very much for your helpful advice :)

18. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Please check the video tutorials. Gaia comes with a bunch of stuff already set up - and while it is useful and lovely to create a nice environment, Gaia is designed to be used with any set of resources you want to throw at it.

My pleasure. If you like the product and the level of support I give, then please consider leaving a written review :)

Yeah agree.. and its fun just exploring what you get. I am constantly and pleasantly surprised by the random terrain generation feature in Gaia as well :)

TeagansDad and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  19. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hey everyone,

I am putting together a 'Made with Gaia' section to show off all the cool games that are being made with Gaia.

If you have a web site, and some information about your game, then I would love to share it on the web site, so drop me a message.

You can think of it as another way of getting a little bit more profile for your game :)

Check it out at : http://www.procedural-worlds.com/gaia/made-with-gaia/

Cheers,
    Adam.

PS Many thanks to Shawn Ingram of Backwoods Gaming for helping out with this!!

20. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

21. mrdl2010

mrdl2010

Hi Adam,

This is a wonderful package for Unity. However, before I buy this, I wonder if there is any way to interact with the generated rocks and trees individually? I don't mind heavy coding solution. Will interaction with one tree made the whole terrain updating?

22. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hmm... not really sure what you are asking... so will do the best I can.

Gaia will generally just spawn things for you - however if you want to influence this then you can use Spawner Extensions.

Spawner extensions are prefabs with instantiate scripts that have been derived from SpawnRuleExtension. You can stack as many of these as you want on any resource you are spawning with Gaia and they will all get executed

Spawner extensions can optionally define the following main methods (and a few more helpers):

* GetFitness - used to override the usual spawn criteria and influence the assignment of location fitness

* OverridesSpawn - When set your custom code will be used to spawn the resource instead of Gaia's code

* Spawn - Impementation of your custom spawning code - only callled when OverridesSpawn is true

* PostSpawn - if called will perform an post processing on the spawn (i provide a couple of examples of this that retexture and regrass underneath the selected spawn locations).

Hope that helps - in a nutshell you can significantly influence the spawning process using this technique.

23. mrdl2010

mrdl2010

Hi Adam,

I want to interact with a tree or a rock one by one, like cutting a tree, or mine a rock. Is there a way to do this and if it is, will that update the whole terrain when I interact with one of the trees only.

24. smada-luap

smada-luap

Unless you're spawning trees as unity terrain trees then everything that Gaia places into the terrain are regular game objects and interactions are as you code for them

25. Sov3R3igN

Sov3R3igN

Adam, Thanks for that purple water...work around. Worked for me. re-imported the standard asses from their assets store and it worked like a charm.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  26. docsavage

docsavage

Have a look at this - https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/43129 it has some features you may find useful. The dev is currently working on version 2 but the current version does have tree felling.

27. Artomiano

Artomiano

If I now buy GAIA, what will cost an update to version 2?

28. Stranger-Games

Stranger-Games

Is this mobile friendly?

29. Sov3R3igN

Sov3R3igN

@tom.art Adam is very reasonable on pricing. I would not expect anything crazy in terms of pricing for version 2. He might also have a plan for an upgrade cost for current users vs cost for users that do not own current version of Gaia.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  30. vrchewal

vrchewal

I'm trying to rotate a stamp on the X axis, to create a gentle shore line using one of the Sand stamps. Every time I attempt to rotate the stamp, it automatically gets reverted back to 0. Any ideas on a workaround? My goal is to create a sand shore line that slopes from above sea level, blended with existing terrain to below sea level at about a 15 degree down angle. Any help is appreciated and sorry if this has been answered before.

31. closetgeekshow

closetgeekshow

Are you checking or unchecking Ground Base or Stamp Base after you rotate the stamper?

32. vrchewal

vrchewal

Ground base and stamp base are unchecked. Show Base is checked. When I either manually type in the Rotation in the transform, or use the gizmo, it reverts back to 0 immediately. No time to adjust other settings between rotation and zeroed adjustment. Are you able to rotate via the X axis on a stamp?

33. closetgeekshow

closetgeekshow

Did you mean the Y axis? I don't think you can rotate the stamp on the X or Z axis at all, it definitely resets to 0 if you rotate it away from being level with the terrain plane.

The Rotation field in the Stamper inspector changes the Y rotation of the stamper and that seems to work fine for me (though it resets to zero if you turn Ground/Stamp Base on).

If you are trying to stamp terrain with the Stamper's X or Z rotation at a value other than 0 it's not going to work (I'm pretty sure at least).

34. vrchewal

vrchewal

Correct. I'm attempting to make a sloping terrain with a flat-ish stamp and X axis rotation seems to be impossible. I'm guessing an answer may be somewhere combining a mask and operation type, but I'm new with Gaia, so the answer is not obvious to me yet. Any ideas?

I would love to use the Sand stamp and not have to switch to something else, but perhaps I need to choose a more sloping stamp and then blend with the sand stamp afterwards to get the rolling terrain I'm looking for, just at a sloped angle.

35. closetgeekshow

closetgeekshow

I think you will have to progressively layer slopes on top of your flattish terrain to get the effect you are looking for.

@AdamGoodrich: do you have better ideas on how to accomplish what @Dry is trying to do?

36. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

Hey i have some problems with RTP look the screenshot. I follow the tutorial from RTP but i am not realy happy anyone a idea what i made wron ?

Attached Files:

• test.jpg
      test.jpg
      File size:
      504.7 KB
      Views:
  37. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Minimal if at all.

Only if you use mobile friendly assets. The sample assets and configuration that comes with Gaia is targeted more at desktop. There are lots of videos that show you how to use Gaia, so you can easily swap desktop assets out for mobile assets. There are also a bunch of posts in this forum that talk about mobile setup and optimisation.

Correct. The math to interpolate between multiple scales and concurrent rotation almost melted my head. Doing x / z rotations also introduce the possibility of overhangs which aren't supported by unity terrain system.

My suggestion is to invert a stamp set its operation type to Subtract Height - this way you can carve away at the terrain until you get the effect that you want. You have an undo button, so don't be afraid to use it.

Sorry - am not an expert with RTP. Gaia will happily texture the underlying terrain, and RTP will honor this. Looking at your screenshot however you don't seem to have RTP configured properly.

Stranger-Games likes this.
  38. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

Sorry, I'm out of the loop, what are you working on that combined with Gaia makes such wonderful images?

39. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

#tip: What you need to do is pick a base stamp that defines the shoreline, and then add the rippled sand detail on top of it. A mask can be used to define the areas you want the ripple applied to, and can then be reused to apply the sand texture if you want. For a gentle slope, the shore gradient would need to be subtle, so you may need to experiment a bit to get the shoreline stamp right. You might want to dial the height down when setting up your shorelines, and then add higher terrain details where needed afterwards. The big upside of doing it this way, instead of simply rotating the X or Z axis of the sand ripple stamp, is that you can define a more detailed shoreline, rather than just a uniform flat plane sloping in one direction.

turboscalpeur and AdamGoodrich like this.
  40. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

That scene is a test bed of mine. Have been exploring lighting and various other ideas there. Note - the GI in the video was a low res bake to speed up the bake time - that's why the shadows look pretty average.

It was created with Gaia and has some skyboxes (coming with next Gaia release) plus:

Currently on Sale:
    * 3DForge Exteriors Kit
    * PBR Graveyard Pack

plus:
    * Turboscalpeurs grasses (samples included with Gaia)
    * Rock and Boulders 3
    * Desktop Trees Package
    * DeepSky Haze
    * Cinematic Image Effects pre-release
    * Emerald AI
    * Animals Full Pack

Here is a little video of that scene:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  41. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

You can also use a stamp with stencil height - this can be used to apply the imprint of one stamp to another - and if used with masking and the ripple sand suggested above can get some really nice effects.

42. vrchewal

vrchewal

Thank you @AdamGoodrich, @FargleBargle and @closetgeekshow for the tips. I see this is more sculpting than autocad and will adjust my thinking accordingly. I've taken your build up from the "rough to defined" approach and am seeing some decent results. I also attempted to use Photoshop to directly blend some stamps at the right size. This works pretty well too.

FargleBargle and AdamGoodrich like this.
  43. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Something else coming soon is a GX integration with Turboscalpeurs grasses:

Very much looking forward to this!

44. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Just thought I'd share a bit of news from Unity on their terrain roadmap. They've had a New Terrain System thread for a few years now, used to get feedback on features users wanted in their new terrain engine. It's been strangely quiet over there since Gaia was released, but there's just been a flurry of new activity recently, including these announcements from members of Unity's terrain team:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/official-new-terrain-system.255232/page-8#post-2653000

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/official-new-terrain-system.255232/page-9#post-2656667

Since they mention time frames beginning in 2016 for initial implementation, I thought this community might want a heads up of what's coming. :)

45. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

I don't get the GX Extension / Integration idea of Gaia. I was pretty busy lately and did not have time to check more tutorials and new posts but well I am little confused right now.
    If I go to the official list here: http://www.procedural-worlds.com/gaia/gaia-extensions/ than I understand that the Assets listed in the GX Extension tab are simple "100% supported" assets in combination with Gaia.
    Good, this means for me that the GX Tab holds a list of supported and aproved Assets by Adam.
    But if I read something about upcoming GX Integration of Turboscalpeur Grasses and seeing the screenshots in the same post, for me it sounds like something of predefined ready to use Ressource Files where the Grass Details / Scale, Densities and also the Spawners Perlin Noises are pre-defined? Perhaps I am totally wrong here. What does it mean exactly? Will it just be supported or will the integration contain predefined ressource / spawners for this grass details?

P.S: Is there are reason why only Speedtree Desktop Versions are added in the GX Extensions and not the Heroe ones?

Thanks a lot
    Ronny

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  46. Artomiano

Artomiano

Maybe one of you can help me... what makes GAIA better then Terrain Composer? Both of them are terrain builder with a mass of features. Both of them are beloved by many users... both of them will get an "great" update soon...

47. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

They're really completely different in both scope and workflow. The only thing they really have in common is that they're both used to create terrains. I can't speak for TC2, but I had a chance to play with the old version a few years back, and found the interface and workflow pretty confusing. It handles huge tiled terrains pretty well, but like RTP, and several other terrain building apps, figuring out how to use all of its power isn't always that easy. It's like most of the development effort went into terrain creation, and the user interface was secondary.

By contrast, Usability was a core design goal with Gaia, and user feedback here has continued to drive that. Most Gaia users, including myself, pick it up pretty easily. Once they grasp a few key concepts, such as stamps, resource files, and spawner rules, the workflow becomes very intuitive.

Ultimately though, you need to decide which workflow makes the most sense to you, and suits the types of projects you plan to work on. If in doubt, you should really check out some of the tutorial videos on each before deciding. Gaia's are right here: Tutorials

48. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hello @RonnyDance,

In my first GX for the HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1, yes you will have already pre-defined and ready to use Grass Details on Scales for example like that:

You can yet, Edit each grass at every moments if you are not satisfied within' and customise on your own way.

So you will have all the Grass compiled in only one Resource and in 2 SubCategories of Spawners like that:

Everything have been pre-settled but you will be able to modify each tweaks on the visualiser or directly on the Resource to you to get your results intented if so:

And about the Spawners, yes you will have some Perlins or not like that:

Everything is flexible, you will be able to delete some grass or replace them, tweak the Spawners etc.

I post again what i wrote on my forum for more informations:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/turboscalpeurs-grass-forum.395638/page-2

#53 Reply

"So, i'm near to make the Update for the HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1 v.1.7 with its GX eXtension for Gaia;

Thanks a lot of to @AdamGoodrich , @Shawn67 and @jimmikaelkael for all the helps & testings :)

A small Description:
    The HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1's GX eXtension for Gaia, will give you the abilities to use fastly some Pre-Settled Grass Environments or to customise very easily all the Grass compiled in the Pack in Gaia/Unity 5;

You will just have to click on the "Create Pack Resources File" Button and then add each Spawners you want to use;

The Spawners are categorised in 2 Sections:
    Spawners: These 16 Spawners are compiling all the current 72 Grass Textures from the HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1 in subcategories; they are basically pre-settled in order to you to use and mix them on your own wishes.

Spawner Combos: These 7 Spawners are Pre-Settled in All-In-One Flora's Areas to give you still more quickly some ready to use/play Grass Environments.

NOTE: The Spawner Combos are very dense and can affect your Framerates as well if you don't have an High End PC Machine; if you expect some low FPS, don't forget that you can at every time settle each Spawner in order to have less density/Grass and win of Performances.
    I will make some Videos Tutorials/Demonstrations soon to show you how to use the GX eXtension and mostly seeing the widest possibilities you have within'."

49. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Thanks so much for the reply. This makes everything clear to me. So happy to own your both HQ Grasses sets. I always wanted to write you a PM and ask for ressources, but now that this is coming to Gaia I don't need to do this anymore.

If your HQ Grasses Sets are in a different folder in my project for example Terrain/Details/ I suppose I have to relocate your Detail Texture in the ressource file? Because the HQ Grasses folder is not in the root project folder like it is per default after importing the Asset to the project.

50. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

:)
    No, the GX will do the job for you, you will just have to install the last HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1 Version (will be the same for my others Grass Assets) and going to the GX's Gaia Manager Section, then clicking on the "Create Pack Resources File" and finally click on each Spawners you will want to add/use for your Projects/Games.

runningbird likes this.