Search Unity

furFX - Physics-based Fur Shaders

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reddotgames, Jun 4, 2013.

1. AndersKlok

AndersKlok

my AD will start holding her breath if update for unity5 is not in by the 22nd. please let us know if this is not possible. :)

2. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

I know you posted this like a year ago but FurFX works perfect for hair and really weird and freaky chest hair as well. I'm not sure why people are saying it only does stubble. It's all in how you use the noise maps.

But yes really looking forward to the Unity 5 version, its the only thing holding us back from upgrading our project to Unity 5.

Ony, 2dchaos and hopeful like this.
  3. 2dchaos

2dchaos

Thanks for the reply, i'll will take a look and HOLY SMOKES that looks awesome ;D

UnleadedGames likes this.
  4. hopeful

hopeful

My apologies if I've dished out misinformation. What I've always heard is that you can't do real hair with a fur shader.

2dchaos and UnleadedGames like this.
  5. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Any ETA for Unity 5 support? Really need it!

6. KaTsuoo1

KaTsuoo1

I could say, "It's been 3 weeks now"... But I know from experience, if you say 2-3 weeks, it is more likely 3-5 weeks. But if you have something work in progress you could show, then that would be really appreciated.

7. Liens

Liens

Is anyone having trouble with DirectX 11 and this shader? I'm doing all my builds on a Mac and my Windows builds always seem to be missing the fur. I haven't been able to confirm that the Windows DX9 builds have fur though, but Windows DX11 builds are definitely missing the fur.

Does anyone know what could be the problem?

8. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Any news about Unity 5 compatibility ?

9. Liens

Liens

What's wrong with it in Unity 5?

10. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

The shaders simple dosn't work

11. Liens

Liens

Maybe you're having the same problem as me? I am running Unity 5 with FurFX on Mac and it works, but when I build for Windows it does not work. Do you have access to test FurFX on a DirectX 9 machine?

12. Nanako

Nanako

so apparently this doesn't work in unity 5? what's being done about that?

13. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Some of the shaders DO work in Unity5.
    Screen-Shot-2015-04-27-at-11.36.01-PM.png

14. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

yes only some... hope in an update to bring ALL shader to Unity 5.

15. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I just saw that 2-3 weeks is over now ;)

Would like to hear something from you reddotgames about this working complete in Unity 5 or should i buy nothing more from you?

I do not like how some developers let their customers without any information.

16. hopeful

hopeful

It's probably a good idea to PM @reddotgames or email his support if you need an update for a project that's underway. It's been a while since his last post here.

17. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

It's been a while since he post last time that an update that will be working with Unity 5 will take about 4 weeks.
    I just hope for that release or info and if this will not come soon i will take another product and never will buy something else from him.
    I do understand that he maybe has other things to do but i am also a customer.

18. reddotgames

reddotgames

Hey Guys! Good news! Sorry this took us so long!

We uploaded FurFX version 3.0 into Asset Store review. We added full Unity 5.0 support :)
    So stay tuned and BTW cool stuff with Cat and Knight :) We will add it into screenshots

hopeful, wetcircuit and gurayg like this.
  19. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

This is really nice. I am happy that you have done this.

20. andre-ivankio

andre-ivankio

Nice, does it mean that I can use it for grass - working with realtime GI, receiving shadow and working with reflection probes? A grass demo would be really appreciated.

21. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Great news ! I was losing hope!
    I would like to have more information about the Unity 5 shader.
    Does support SHADOW ? GI ? REFLECTION PROBE ?
    If the shader work for both i am going to buy NOW !
    Please let we know more about it !

22. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Anyone here ?

23. johnnyahrens

johnnyahrens

Hello,
    How do you apply the Fur only on the back of the model?
    Thanks.

24. JimmyBignutz

JimmyBignutz

Is this working with Unity 5.1.1f1, I can't get this to work at all. Also does it only work in play mode?

25. MaxPower42

MaxPower42

So is this 100% compatible with unity 5.x? Some ppl seem to have issues with it and the store is giving me a warning when I click on "buy". I'm not gonna spend this kind of money unless I know for sure.

26. MaxPower42

MaxPower42

So, I bought it and it's working (except for v2 shaders). Anyone else thinking the v1 shaders look much better than v3? Is there any info on performance and such for the different versions?

Also, has anyone got that "imperial" fur shader and can compare the two?

Btw, in the readme it says there's a 3.0 shader with 40 layers. Where is it?...

Some of the parameters are also weird. Like "stiffness" mostly affecting the length for example. Is that meant to be?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  27. ksam2

ksam2

Hi, I have a question about shader Render Mode, does it support Cutout mode as well?

28. ghettotron

ghettotron

Wow! I love this! Great job Wetcircuit! I'm planning on using FurFx for a personal project but just wanted to see if you could give us some tips or your workflow, settings, etc. to achieve awesome results with your 3d kitten. I checked out your page too. Awesome design and videos. The kitten talking was cute too. Thanks in advance! :)

29. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Oh! :) thank you.... I don't think I have any real advice except that you should expect to paint a hair mask for everything..., and short fur is going to look a lot better than long, but you can do some shaping and fur length "noise" within the alpha mask. Also since it's a shader, lighting and shadows can be your friend or your enemy... ;)

30. NikProductions

NikProductions

Hello, I am using Unity 5.2.0f2 and furFX 3.0..
    So I am experiecing problems with Advanced FurFX 40 layer shader. The problem by itself only occurs when I switch to linear color space:

Gamma:
    1fb85756745d806fe7fddfe699243bbc.png

Linear:

7c8cce2dff09e479ba89cad704876610.png
    Is there a way to make the shader work with linear color space?

DrewMedina likes this.
  31. gecko

gecko

I really want to use FurFX on a character, in a scene with Suimono water, but I'm having trouble. First, I can't get a decent fur effect with the 2.0 or 3.0 shaders. Seems like I have to push the Alpha Cutoff slider up aways to get any furriness at all (with it low or zero, there's no fur, just an inflated mesh). But the Alpha Cutoff slider just looks horrible, very thin and scraggly fur--see screenshot.

I really like the 1.0 shaders, and the Advanced shaders in the FurFX Mobile tool...but those don't work with the transparency in Suimono--the character is rendered in front of the water even if the water plane bisects the character.

So...can anyone help me figure out the settings on 2.0 or 3.0 shaders?

thanks
    Dave

EDIT: I'm using 4.6 (can't upgrade this project to 5 at the moment)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  32. vandel_savage

vandel_savage

Hi, we have just started using FurFx in unity. Firstly its a great start to provide Fur looks in Unity. But I have few questions regarding the controls of the Fur look.
    ~ How can we get a clumpy look in our fur using FurFx ?
    ~ Is there any way to control the directions of the fur other than the use of gravity ?

33. dfdiaza

dfdiaza

Hello!...
    I am developer and I am working on a project for a client it's going to be a Unityt app like Talking Tom app, but with a Ciclope Character.
    The people I hired for doing the 3d model (using 3d max/zbrush) also works with Unity, but they did not know FurFx component, anyway I bought it for them (My purchase order is # 302128227 Purchase date: 28/09/2015)

They applied the FurFx component to the model, but my client did not like it because the fur is not "cute". I am trying to find the way to improve the fur and have my client happy.

Maybe the 3d modeller doesn't know hot to get all of the power of FurFx, I don't know.
    Please see the image. Is there a way to improve the fur for my ciclope character using FurFx?

Hope you can help me.

Best regards,
    Diego Fernando

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  34. Xenobite

Xenobite

this is far from perfect solution, but how about adding more polygons/triangles and slightly randomize vertexes in 3d app?

35. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

You can also do more than one layer of fur.... A short "undercoat" and sparser long hair layer with different settings.... Try adding some noise in the hair length map too.

Since it's a shader trick, lighting has A LOT to do with how it looks. Add some edge lighting and I think the effect will show better and also look "cuter" and softer.... It's never going to look like a "real" hair and fur system though, probably.

36. mk1978

mk1978

Is it possible to get this working with Unity Terrain for example Grass texture?

37. NightmarexGR

NightmarexGR

Hello , before buying i would like to know if it is going to work with animated skinned meshes.
    Will it follow their movement ?
    Will it accept shadows ?
    I have this model and i want to add fur to its back: image

38. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Yes, it's a shader trick, so presumably anything that has UV map can work. The kitten further up the page is a skinned mesh, and animated.

39. NightmarexGR

NightmarexGR

Thnx i will buy it then someday :)

40. NightmarexGR

NightmarexGR

Sorry for double posting , is there any way i can test the asset in unity 5 ?
    Are shadows working ?
    I saw some negative reviews in the asset store and i changed my mind , could i test this somehow ?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  41. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Is it or will it be possible to define direction of the fur, so something like this can be achieved?

42. PhosphorUnity

PhosphorUnity

Anyone using mobile version? There is a review that it doesn't work on 5.1 , and assuming it wouldn;t work on newer ..

43. gecko

gecko

FurFX is deprecated? What!?

Ony likes this.
  44. hopeful

hopeful

I guess this means support has been withdrawn. :(

45. twiggyash

twiggyash

Why is deprecated? It does not work anymore??

46. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

FurFX Mobile is still on Asset Store though.
    So it looks like at least one is still supported.