Search Unity

furFX - Physics-based Fur Shaders

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reddotgames, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Setmaster

Setmaster

I removed the teeth from the alpha channel, and now they don't have hair as long as mask alpha is low, but I'm not being able to get the desired fur effect with low mask alpha, here is a pic:

Is there a way to have the fur on right with low mask alpha factor so the teeth won't have fur?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  2. hobstob

hobstob

Hello, just thought I would hit you up here cause I know you wanted to start threading about it. How is the werewolf project coming? any progress?

3. virror

virror

Just keep all the settings as you like them, and then remove the "paint" the teeth with full transparency in any image software that can handle it and it should work.

4. Setmaster

Setmaster

Thanks for the help, it works now.

5. Sanguine Jackal

Sanguine Jackal

Hi! I'm sure this is a really basic question but this shader is really my first shader I'm playing around with in Unity (I have been struggling trying to make my 3d models so far). I went ahead and bought the furFX, and I gotta say it is super cool... I just can't seem to quite get the effect I want! If you have the time to take a peek and help out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

So I have my Diffuse imported as a .psd with the Alpha map on it for fur length. It just seems to only recognize either "no fur" or "fur"- as far as I can tell there seems to be little, if any, variation in length of fur based on the alpha map.

I have the first link is what I was able to get the fur to look like after some tinkering:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rovbur8ou5p3cry/wooftest2.jpg

And a quick paintover to show how I was hoping the fur could fall. Obviously the smoother stuff is the less furry:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/aiwzj92cz8oa7n3/woofpaintover.jpg

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. :D Thanks so much. <3

6. Seith

Seith

@RedDotGames: Hello, I tried contacting you over the last couple of months, both via emails and the forum's PM system but without avail. Since I haven't heard back from you since your last email in January I thought I would post in the thread to try and get your attention. I hope everything is fine at the studio and that you are all in good health...

7. KaTsuoo1

KaTsuoo1

I'm having a problem with the advanced shaders. My character gets too bright, a lot brighter than if I would use for example, the specular shader. I want to be able to light up the environment more, but if I do, I get blinded by looking at the character. I have tried changing the shininess, but that doesn't do anything.

8. lod3

lod3

Does anyone have either a video or (better yet) a webplayer of this fur shader on something moving that's not a ball? Looking to see how the fur looks in motion, particularly an animal. Though, it's been two months since the author's last posting, so hopefully this hasn't been abandoned.

9. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

The ad say these shaders works on Dx11, but none of them work to me. Only if I change to Dx9 they work.
    And yes, my graphics card is a Dx11 card. Gtx780.

Edit: Nevermind. had to restart editor.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  10. fmarkus

fmarkus

Hello!
    Is it possible to apply the mobile version of fur on 2D sprites?
    Thanks!

f.

11. Hotsun

Hotsun

Gave you a 5 star in the store ;)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  12. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

i have an issue in which my fur is really short even when I use a alpha channel for the texture I am using. I got it full length now. any idea why??

edit* does the poly amount effect the length? as my body on my character works fine.(edit doesnt effect it) I am unclear on why my fur is so short. :(

edit found something. in the preview it shows the fur as long, but not in scene/game window.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  13. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

anybody have any idea what could cause such short length to the furfx shader in the clothing, but not the actual body model? (tried it on the main body and it goes pretty long) still confused on what it could be, would be great to have some help in this so I can finish my model.
    this what it looks like at full length.

SnapCrab_NoName_2014-6-10_15-48-14_No-00.png

14. Ninku

Ninku

Hello ,
    I Bought the Shader and would like to use it for a game. We plan to overwrite it but the Assembler code is a bit difficult to understand.
    If possible, is there HLSL or CG language.

15. reddotgames

reddotgames

Huge is coming guys =) Here is small teaser :

fully shadowed, multilight (pixel lights also with shadows) surface fur shader (rewrited from scratch)
    also with normals and specular maps!!

newFurShader.png

16. hopeful

hopeful

17. Hotsun

Hotsun

I wanted to start reporting bugs because of lighting problems, but after seeing this:

"fully shadowed, multilight (pixel lights also with shadows) surface fur shader (rewrited from scratch)"

Oh I have to wait,this is really great ;)
    Thanks a lot.

18. glennpow

glennpow

Don't get on that werewolf's bad side! And this is him on a *good* hair day!
    Truly stellar work! Does the new version support shadows on Shell shaders? Any idea when the update will be available?

19. reddotgames

reddotgames

Within few days :) I just wanna fix some issues more

20. tobyheadcast

tobyheadcast

Hey , Nice shader, but I'm not seeing it on a Radeon R7 240, is there a known issue with this card? When I build to my android device I can see it , but not on my PC which seems a bit backwards!

Latest Direct X, latest Radeon Drivers, Windows 8.1 64bit.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  21. reddotgames

reddotgames

Should work on Radeon R7 without problems. What version of Unity you using? I remember in some 4.2 was bug with multilayer shaders

22. tobyheadcast

tobyheadcast

4.5.2f1

FIXED. Disabled using Direct3D 11 in player settings.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  23. Cascho01

Cascho01

Would like to see a Webplayer where the shader is used to simulate a grass surface with different lengths.
    Perfect would be a switch to disable the shader and a Framerate-Counter to see how performant the shader is.

24. hopeful

hopeful

Volume Grass is probably closer to what you're looking for. It's shader grass with billboard blades on edges that renders very quickly. While it currently makes evenly cut grass, I think the current plan is to make it possible to vary the lengths. Also, other grass assets can be used in addition to this to create a more natural look.

On the subject of FurFX, I don't know if it can be done, but I'm hoping the new version looks less stubbly than it does on the werewolf. It would be nice if the fur can be longer, if it can project at an angle, if there can be strands of multiple length in an area, and if a wave can be introduced to the fur strands.

25. okumasama

okumasama

Hi. Thanks for nice shader.
    I noticed "FurFX Advanced xx Layer" shaders receive a light incorrectly when you use a point light.
    When the meshes with material FurFX is going out from a point light's range, suddenly it loses a brightness which received from the point light. Other (like diffuse) shader has a brightness which decayed from a distance between meshes and light.
    Is this bug? and can you fix this?

Thanks.

26. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Hopefully there will be something (possible) in the mobile version too like what was teased with the wolf.

27. blueivy

blueivy

How's the new version coming along?

28. reddotgames

reddotgames

Today I should push update into Asset Store. Good news is that all shaders will be with full source (no more compiled ones)

hopeful likes this.
  29. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I just download the new version :)
    Any words on the mobile version?

30. reddotgames

reddotgames

Mobile should be out now :)

31. magique

magique

This looks amazing and performance seems to be good enough. I'm definitely going to pick this up for my Wii U game for one particular character. Great work on this.

32. gurayg

gurayg

I know it's a bit early but I've made a quick test with FurFX+ Unity 5 b12.
    Although no errors pop up for the shaders, there is no fur either.
    Left is the shader with U 4.5.4, right is the U 5b12

poor_werewolf_is_sad.jpg

At this Unity 5 beta stage I'm merely worried that this poor werewolf might get sick because he is lacking his fur.
    But also it might be good to know if RedDot people will be supporting furFX in Unity 5 with its all glory (new rendering paths, GI...)

Attached Files:

33. 2dchaos

2dchaos

Is furfx viable to do hair on characters?

34. hopeful

hopeful

Only stubble.

35. reddotgames

reddotgames

I don't know if I will make update or made whole new version for Unity 5.x - need to make some tests.

36. WilliamGoodson

WilliamGoodson

I am using the mobile fur shader to create a tarantula. Is there a way to orient the hairs so they follow the direction of each leg? Thank you.

hopeful likes this.
  37. Recluse

Recluse

Hi, when I select one of the 2.0 fur shaders Unity freezes and I have to force close.

Seems ok if I uncheck 'Use Direct 3D 11' in settings

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  38. reddotgames

reddotgames

Nope

What Unity version?

39. rrrrhoi

rrrrhoi

Hi, I bought your "FurFX Mobile" today. But any sample secens do not work.
    they look like "diffuse only", any fur-shader parameters not work except diffuse color..
    And 'Main Camera' in 'Fur Shell Example' scene, has a missing script.
    Please advice me.
    i have Unity3d 4.6.2

40. reddotgames

reddotgames

Please check if you not in dx11 mode. Dont worry about missing script

41. rrrrhoi

rrrrhoi

Thank you~ it was dx11.
    now it works !

42. garyhaus

garyhaus

Does this work in Unity 5 beta at all? Thanks.

43. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Please make it Unity 5 compatibile! It is super awesome!

44. KaTsuoo1

KaTsuoo1

I would really like a Unity 5 version as well. Even an incomplete one would be appreciated, before the first proper version comes out.

45. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Any news about a Unity 5 version?

46. Hotsun

Hotsun

Many of us are switching to Unity 5 and unfortunately many of our packages are not working anymore.
    I re-downloaded and imported the latest version of FurFx to a Unity 5 project and it is working nice ( except the ver 2.0 shaders) but Physical based Fur rendering is really appreciated :D

I have an idea here, lets not make many different shader files, just make the main shaders and use sliders or something like that for the number of activated layers ( for example 5-10-20-40 ) this will add some lines to the shader but it will remove many similar lines repeated in each shader file.

Waiting for your answer...

47. cygnusfear

cygnusfear

Hi RedDotGames,

We're currently also switching to Unity 5 and using the Shell Fur Shader layered on top of the Standard shader. Would you be able to give us an indication when and if you are updating your shaders to the new Unity version?

Kind regards,
    Alex

48. reddotgames

reddotgames

We should push update in which we will add Unity 5.0 working shaders in 2-3 weeks.

49. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Can't wait to see furFx in Unity 5 !!!

turnstyle likes this.
  50. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Will also the mobile furfx asset be compatible with unity 5 after this is updated?