Search Unity

furFX - Physics-based Fur Shaders

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reddotgames, Jun 4, 2013.

1. reddotgames

reddotgames

Great work with Clouds! I never would think someone will use FurFX for clouds :) Did you try to use some smart cubemap to light up some parts?

2. reddotgames

reddotgames

Thanks! We are compiling shaders from 2 reasons :
    1) to copy protect our work
    2) to make price as low as possible (look pt.1)

I know there are some disadvantages of it, but well ... we work hard on this and we dont wanna someone copy all shaders and release it under different name and half price.

3. reddotgames

reddotgames

We dont have any Windows Phone so we did not test it there :(

4. reddotgames

reddotgames

Hi! I believe I reply your PM about this question. Send me terrain mesh and I will send you demo exe with fur shader as grass.

5. Venged

Venged

Will this work with Unity 4.3? I own it and had a crash and was wonder if this is updated for 4.3 yet. Thanks

6. reddotgames

reddotgames

Did not check it yet on 4.3. So you need to wait. You sure Unity crashed because of furfx? Unity keep releasing new versions without back compatibility or its another (was in 4.1) bug with multilayer shaders. We will see.

7. Venged

Venged

No I'm not sure. I now seeing that I had a lot of third party asset in that project. I could have been any or none that caused it. Thanks

8. tomato_comet

tomato_comet

Thanks for the response. I didn't send a PM. Must have been another user.

I haven't bought fur shader yet. If it can be added to terrain easily, I will probably buy it.

Is it easy to select portions of a terrain on which to add fur? For example, I want to make a large open world terrain game. After the terrain is in place, is it possible to go through the world and select portions of the terrain surface on which to add fur? Or must the terrain be prepared in a special way very early in the game's development to be able to use fur shader?

Thank you.

9. reddotgames

reddotgames

It can be added on mesh - so you need convert your terrain into model and than assign fur shell shader on it. Sorry its the only way right now.
    About selecting portions - you can control fur length by its texture alpha so if you will prepare all (terrain mesh, texture with alpha) - it can be done.
    In next version I'll add some demo with all this to explain and show it to everyone. But not in this month - we are very busy :(

10. Futurerobot

Futurerobot

Hello, awesome fur shader! We just bought it and have been playing around with it getting some really cool results. We're using deferred rendering for this project, but I saw it had an alphatest version and was hoping it would work out.

It is the shaders called "itest noblend" that is alphatest, correct? I'm wondering since I'm seeing differences between the furshaded object and other objects, but was assuming the alphatest ones would be "deferred friendly". I'm also getting some issues where the fog always assumes the fur object is at max distance, sorting I guess? Finally we're also using lightprobes instead of ambient, so I was wondering if you were planning on supporting it, or alternatively to be able to set our own ambient per material instead of in rendersettings, as the rendersetting ambient would mess with our other lightprobed objects.

Again, awesome stuff! I find myself planning a lot more fluffy characters and scene objects when testing this! :D

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  11. TimeSniper

TimeSniper

Hi?

Can I ask you a question?

I'm making a golf game and hyper realism is needed in this game. Instead of using such as normal/bump map, I'm wondering if your system
    can be used to render the areas of fairways and roughs. In those areas, the lawn is cut shortly, which is quite different from furs of your demo.
    I found a image you posted of a terrain with massive grasses. There, the grasses are tall and not cut shortly. How will it look like if they needs to be cut shortly?

Thank you in advance.

12. reddotgames

reddotgames

OK so :
    1) about alpha testes shader - both in Test folder are alpha testes. Blend uses alphablending to soften end of fur and noblend do not. So its only up to you which will work better with your needs. Those are not perfect and sometimes you can had some problems with it - those are test shaders with shadows
    2) About fog - which shader are you testing with fog? And maybe tell me which of those from pack works good with your fog.
    3) Lightprobes are in planes but in next month (will provide some major update also with probe lights)

13. reddotgames

reddotgames

You can adjust fur length in settings of shader so you can have very short fur. But keep in mind that this fur always "wave" in the same direction on all mesh so this can look weird with massive terrain.

In next month I will prepare some images with fur as a grass on some massive terrain.

14. Futurerobot

Futurerobot

I am using the Itest SelfShadow NoBlend 20 layer. I went for the one with only alphatest since I thought it would be rendered in deferred mode, but I see it's not affected by pointlight shadows so I'm wondering if it's forced to forward rendering mode? Would it be possible to let the alphatested noblend one run in deffered? With only alphatest I understand it should be free of the usual issues with transparency and deferred lighting.

About the fog: It seems that it's just Linear fog that doesn't match up with the shader, all of the FurFX shaders work with Exp and Exp2 fog.

15. sixto1972

sixto1972

Hello, im considering buying this asset. A few questions... and if they have been answered elsewhere my apologies. Does the fur render in all modes? i.e Forward, Deferred and lightmapping? and do these modes break any features of the fur shaders like physics or lighting models?

16. tatoforever

tatoforever

I've recently bought each version (desktop and mobile) of this fur shader.
    [EDIT]

Collaborating with the author. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  17. reddotgames

reddotgames

Ive already reply you on email (2 minutes after yours arrived) and also under your great review in Asset Store :

You should read Asset Description. Its clearly written that shaders support up to 4 VERTEX lights and are COMPILED. Also if you need some help with custom shader (pixel lights) - you should write me first not rate asset on 1 star (like it don't work or is completely useless).

Really if you dont like shaders - make refund - we will be both more happy. If you will calm a little we can cooperate to make it work for you - but not at this tone.

18. tatoforever

tatoforever

Sorry, I've bought the assets directly through the asset store, there's not warning in the asset store that shaders are compiled and that's all my frustration cause I've blindly supported both of your packs (as my project is multiplatform) but find out to be really frustrated about this detail.
    So, what i need are source shaders, if you want more money for it I can provide it. Otherwise, having pixel lights (or at least light attenuation in your vertex lighting) would be more than awesome.
    Thanks,

19. reddotgames

reddotgames

OK now you finally writing in good tone :) There is no need to be angry on us - we protect out work by compiling shaders. Lets switch to email and we will sort your problems out. Did you get my previous reply?

20. tatoforever

tatoforever

Sorry to sound harsh but that's the result of my impulsive frustration. :rolleyes:

Please, write me directly.
    PS: I din't received any email yet.
    PS2: Email received. Thanks!

21. reddotgames

reddotgames

Email sent

22. reddotgames

reddotgames

Yup I've just checked and no issues on Deferred Mode. Lightmapping is not supported.

23. Honikou

Honikou

Hi,

I use the mobile version of this shader.

I got this message on the shader:

PerformanceChecks.ShaderWithClipAndroid

24. sixto1972

sixto1972

thank you. just bought your asset

25. Seith

Seith

@Reddotgames: Hi, I was wondering if you got my my email about a week ago? I know sometimes my messages get trapped in your junk folder... :)

26. juangauthier

juangauthier

Hello!
    Ist there anyway to control which parts of a mesh will have fur?! I thought it was controlled in the alpha channel of the Base texture, but it just wont work, my wolf has fur everywhere even its teeth! hehehe

$Wolf_test.jpg

If not, is it possible to have control the amount of length of the fur using the alpha?! Maybe a future feature?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  27. juangauthier

juangauthier

Never mind, solved it! :)

28. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great stuff, i had no idea shadows had gone in the plugin, great news !!! :), i am a tiny step from getting it now

Some clarifications, can i use the soft shadow from my main directional light (sun) on the fur from all casting near objects ? Does it support multiple shadows in deferred rendering too ?

Also is it possible to customize the edge curliness ? Like not just be a straight line, but a curve or at least a curved pre-defined texture (or custom edge in general)

29. reddotgames

reddotgames

Sorry for delay guys, and some kind of absence on forum but we were finishing game that will be published on Steam and we have 0 time for you. Right now we sent gold version on Steam so now I will return to forums, updated (yeah we have few !) so please give us some time and thanks for supporting!

30. yhoussin

yhoussin

Hi, we need support for shadows, is that something you'd be willing to implement ? Are you open to contracting work to tune the shader for our particular needs ?

31. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I've casually stumbled across this and have some thoughts:

1. you probably can speed things up with precision and reducing frag complexity

2. how about variable sized passes? so the cat in the distance has 0 passes but as she gets closer, she goes up to 20 passes. This makes fur a realistic proposition for most games, being able to change the passes based on distance. Fur is really only visible quite close to the subject. Far off, long hair would be modelled as billboards anyway.

32. Hager_Son

Hager_Son

Is it possible to just apply fur from a opacity map or something?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  33. MrNick01

MrNick01

I was wondering... can this be used to create hair on a character's head?

34. reddotgames

reddotgames

Yes use alpha of diffuse map

Its more like fur not hair shader. Just look at example images you will see what effects can be done.

35. renardmf

renardmf

Hello,

I have been getting great results using FurFx. Thanks for making such a great package! I am running into some issues though. Currently I am trying to use a FurFx shader on a skinned mesh renderer but I am getting Unity hangs/crashes only when I enable fog. The shader I am using is FurFx Advanced 40 Layer DX11. My project is running in DirectX 11 mode with forward rendering in linear space on Windows 7 64bit.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

36. DCrosby

DCrosby

I purchased the package as well, and I have a couple of concerns/requests.
    The Wind/Physics script in the package only functions with 1 Fur shader per object, I have 2 and only 1 ever receives wind / physics.

Can you make any shader on the object listen to those values ? Or even better in the script assign which shader it's meant to control, as you may want two sets of parameters 1 for each furry object ? Or have 1 Script control all fur objects in the scene.

IBL through Marmoset or other IBL rendering systems is not universal, but it's where shading seems to be headding. Any idea if making the shader light sensitive to a IBL system is in the plans, to control exposure ?

I'm also having some issues with my fur, where I get neutral grey skin, and the fur has the color of the texture. Anyway to have the skin stay the color of the texture ?
    $FurFX.PNG

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  37. Woj_Gabel_FertileSky

Woj_Gabel_FertileSky

Hi!
    Great shader! One thing that is a very big problem for us is that those shaders are using clip function to get the alpha information from the diffuse texture. This is a problem, because some devices( like those with adreno 205 gpu models ) are crashing when this shader is used. Can you maybe make one more shader with no clip function but calculate yourown alpha instead? Something like hardclip and softclip in NGUI.
    Thanks again for this cool shader.

38. reddotgames

reddotgames

Hello! What Unity version you on?

39. reddotgames

reddotgames

Did you try edit wind script to apply shader params to all materials? Should be easy to made.
    About Marmoset nope - sorry we try to integrate out Car Paint Shader into they system but they dont wanna cooperate with us. So with FurFX we cannot do nothing also :)
    What type of shader you using on screen? Looks like shell type which dont render nothing except fur

40. reddotgames

reddotgames

Hey! Thanks. You need to use Mobile shaders if you wanna go into adreno gpu - in mobile package there is special shader which did not use clip. What type of shader you wanna to not have clip function? I can send you custom made one. Write me on email from my website contact page ok?

41. renardmf

renardmf

Sorry, for not mentioning it! I am running Unity Pro 4.3.3. Currently I am using an AMD Radeon R9 290 but it seems like it hangs/crashes on any card I use. Let me know if you need anymore details.

42. DCrosby

DCrosby

Right, sorry, I was thinking I saw grey from the model, instead I saw grey from the background, my mistake. I haven't put him into his environment as I'm just concerned with his look and that the fur works as advertised.

Sorry to hear about marmoset, maybe they're making their own fur, but that's very un-responsible of them to get a lighting system into Unity that's arguably the best for photoreal rendering, and then not to support it with other shader writers. I hope they change their minds.

So as to the script, yes I'm sure I could figure it out, although JS isn't my primary language, actually python is due to a lot of 3D Packages using it for scripting, and I need to get back into JS. The purpose of the post, was more to show a bug, and for you to offer that in a future release, as a feature. Unless you no longer support FurFX's future development...

-DC

43. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Here's a question: it maybe a fur shader, but could this be used for human hair? I am guessing no, but...

44. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Cool package,

I'm on Mobile and very concerned with performance.

1. How is mobile performance on Mobile ? Android? Iphone 4?
    2. Are there performance optimizations for those who have Unity Pro?

Cheers.

45. broesby

broesby

Looking great. Thinking about buying the shaders for the grass only. Don't really need the fur, for now at least ;)

Does anyone know if it works with RTP3 (Relief Terrain Pack 3).
    That is imperative for using it for any terrain feature.

Seems to me there is a specific package for mobile use (not on sale, though :-/)

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/11657

46. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

I'm sure it's already been asked, but I don't want to go through 10 pages of information.

Is it possible to use this as grass that is effected by the player? (As in gets pushed to the side while the player is standing there, this is also the part that I would have expected to have been asked.)

If not, is there any way to use something like a normal map to define angle, so it could be simulated that way by painting a normal map in real time with player pushing it. To be honest, this second method might be more interesting as that would allow for things like having the grass stay bent over slightly to see where someone has walked recently, slowly bending back up over time.

I know this is intended as a fur shader, and it's unlikely that what I am asking actually works. It would be pretty cool though.

47. reddotgames

reddotgames

Sure we will support FurFX - we've got some new ideas and requests going on. I will take a look into script and make it apply settings for all materials on mesh.

For mobile we have separate package - Mobile version of furFx.
    You dont need have Unity Pro to use FurFX

hmm can be done but it will not look like real hair if you wanna go with long one. Short one will look ok I guess

For now you cannot control in what part grass will bend or something like this. There is no normal maps yet (we will add it later on) but you can control it via alpha of texture - you can paint on alpha of your texture and like this grass will be shorter in painted places. But painting textures in realtime is not good way to do this from performance reasons.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  48. Lay84

Lay84

I came here to ask about compatibility with Skyshop before I purchase, and there's my answer. thank you.

49. Setmaster

Setmaster

Can I limit the areas of fur? Like not having fur in the eyes.

50. reddotgames

reddotgames

Sure - you control fur length by alpha channel of main texture (check out grass with logo demo scene)