Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Full sized planets for Unity3D -- interesting?

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by imerso, Sep 12, 2011.

1. imerso

imerso

I promise no more delays, even if I can't fix some of the remaining bugs, it'll be submitted next monday, 09/01/2012.

Thanks for your patience.

imerso

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  2. ForceX

ForceX

This is great news. Looking forward to this release.

3. Feces_Man

Feces_Man

You mean Jan 9 2012. :) At first I got confused by the date thinking ForceX replied to an old thread. Especially since I'm used to the date format month/day/year.

4. imerso

imerso

Oops, thank you for pointing it out, fixed now. =)

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

imerso you don't have to release it now if you have bugs to fix we are exited but patient we just wanted to know IF you will release it :p
    i prefer to wait one more month and have much better version :).

6. skeptika

skeptika

Yah don't sweat the release date over much, it's more important that people know there's progress etc. Whether it's this month or the next isn't a big deal so don't kill yourself :) My request is that you put up a web demo once it is ready so we can check it out, that'd be appreciated!

7. Dreamcube017

Dreamcube017

WOW this is really amazing!!

I agree, a lot of companies push things out because they want to hit the release date... and then there are bugs that weren't fixed because they released it so quickly. If you are holding back from releasing it because you're fixing problems, then that's fine.

8. softrare

softrare

Thats awesome! Cannot wait for it! Can you give an indication what it will cost? Thanks!

9. clertem

clertem

I take it anytime even with bugs :)

Many thanks for releasing it. Will your source code be included ? I'd like to understand how you made it...

Thanks !

10. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

What the heck!!! This is amazing!!

11. Adam_Tomaszewski

Adam_Tomaszewski

Very cool, I tried to do this about a year ago, but couldn't make it happen. Please follow through with the project. How much will it cost?

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

I also wonder how much it will cost i hope it wont have a ridiculously high price.
    Now when you think about it Indie Developers have quite limited wallet :p

13. imerso

imerso

Thanks for all the nice comments.

This will include full source-code and priced at about USD 150.00 in the Asset Store. But will be submitted to the Asset Store only when complete and polished.

For those who *really* believe in my word when I say that it's still unfinished but really close now, it'll be available by tomorrow (next 24h) with full but incomplete source-code (although already functional) for USD 99.00 through Paypal. The current version is functional but still lacks some visual features (like the atmospheres), and needs some polishment here and there.

Those who buy before the final release of course will get some special attention from me and may receive some gifts in the future.

Thanks,

imerso

14. imerso

imerso

15. softrare

softrare

Thank you so much imerso!! As said, I am more than interested! Two questions: When do you think you will be publishing the complete asset in the asset store? Like in a month or 6 month? Only to have some sort of orientation, nothing to pin you down on :) And the other: Do I understand correctly that if you publish upgrades, buyers of the "incomplete" (prepurchasable) version will get those for free in the future?

16. imerso

imerso

The complete extension will be submitted in less than a month. Yes, free upgrades -- when they come -- for pre-buyers.

Thanks,

imerso

http://etereo.com.br/index.php?pg=prebuy

17. gecko

gecko

Very interested in this for a couple possible projects -- but for one, I'd need to create Earth itself. That isn't possible, is it? To feed in a map of the Earth for the terrain?

18. imerso

imerso

There is already an option to provide coarse elevation maps to *resemble* the shape you want (the Earth, for example), but not as you're probably expecting. The main focus is for pseudo-randomly generated terrain, not stored terrain.

Thanks,

imerso

19. softrare

softrare

Is it possible to generate planets on the fly and also generate planets at design time with a fixed appearance? Is it available to Indie unity? For that case I just transfered money to paypal.

20. psyclone

psyclone

Pre-Purchased.... :)

21. imerso

imerso

Very than you, psyclone. Feel free to contact me directly for any difficulty with the code. I feel the included scene needs to be replaced with a better one (with more planets, more tuned fractals and a better skybox). Also, soon an update with the atmospheres enabled wil ll boost a lot the visual quality.

Needless to say you'll be receiving the update first hand.

Thanks again.

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Just bought it ! The type of " if you believe in my work " :D the problem is i never had paypal so i used my friends one. I hope you can change the email later so that i will get updates and not him :p. If its possible than i will send you PM of what emails i am talking about exactly :)

23. imerso

imerso

Very thank you, Thinker! Please feel free to contact me directly for any difficulty you have.

Thank you again!

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

I am testing your work imerso and something interesting when i turn on the scene you set up i have 10 fps but when i turn on Wysiwyg on the planet making it much more detail as i can see even on the scene preview my FPS rises from 10 to 31 hmmm. But still amazing work it needs a little more work as you said but even now its mind blowing :).
    You don't mind if i will say what i am looking forward to ? or what changes it would be nice to see ? :)

25. imerso

imerso

Always nice to hear from you, please do.

Edit: will be looking into the FPS in wysiwyg, that was expected to be slower under the editor. =) Could you tell what FPS you get when you publish it? Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  26. imerso

imerso

Yes right, just send me the PM, that will work.

[]s

27. houndie

houndie

Pre-Purchased as well I am so very happy at this point that it has come to fruition !! Thanks very much Imerso !!!

28. Arsonide

Arsonide

Bah, I was really excited to get my hands on this, and Paypal decided to mess up. I sent you like two or three messages imerso, sorry about that. :p Just excited to use this, and I'd rather not wait 3-5 days because Paypal is retarded and used e-Check instead of my debit card.

EDIT: Thanks for the prompt refund! Now I'll pay more attention this time I purchase to exactly what Paypal is trying to do.

29. imerso

imerso

Lol no probs. =)

30. houndie

houndie

No worries Arsonide, I paid via paypal cc and it looks like its a manual process anyway for the download to be sent, so you wouldnt have gotten it right away anyway I am still waiting :) but at least it is only a bit of time away!!

31. imerso

imerso

Hey Houndie, very thank you for your support! Sorry for the delay, it's indeed manual at this moment, I still need to automate the Paypal process. =)

32. houndie

houndie

Its all good my friend :) just happy to have my hands on it :)

33. imerso

imerso

I just noticed an annoying bug in the sample scene.

Well, the scene itself is just a hack, but the objects dropping to the terrain were working until minutes before the release, and I broke it when I added the second planet, so I'm giving a quick fix here.

Happens that if you enable planet Physics, objects will stay in the air when you press Enter to drop then into the terrain. Reason is that, as we have no really builtin spherical Physics support in our main engine, we need to implement spherical gravity manually. The solution I found was to determine the nearest planet and associate that planet to the Camera, and then the Camera passes the nearest planet to the objects you drop on the terrain.

Not sure if I'm being clear here, but...

For now, to test Physics, and just to be short here, you may select the Main Camera, and put "Ethereal Planet 1" or "Ethereal Planet 2" as the Planet associated to the Camera. The associated Planet should be automatically selected each frame, as the nearest planet to that Camera, but for now it's being fixed to one of the Planets. That selected Planet is where the objects will fall to...

Sorry for all the bugs you'll find, I'll be cleaning up things and making a nice techdemo with all these things sorted out. Soon enough we'll have the entire Star System placed with the planets orbiting around, and that beautiful atmosphere etc -- without any hacks at all.

Thanks again to all who are supporting the extension.

[]s
    imerso

34. imerso

imerso

Just remembering:

This will include full source-code and priced at about USD 150.00 in the Asset Store. But will be submitted to the Asset Store only when complete and polished.

For those who *really* believe in my word when I say that it's still unfinished but really close now, it'll be available by tomorrow (next 24h) with full but incomplete source-code (although already functional) for USD 99.00 through Paypal. The current version is functional but still lacks some visual features (like the atmospheres), and needs some polishment here and there.

Those who buy before the final release of course will get some special attention from me and may receive some gifts in the future.

And here it is: http://etereo.com.br/index.php?pg=prebuy

Thanks,

imerso

35. imerso

imerso

Uncomment lines 966 and 1034 within CQuadtree.cs if you felt Physics slowed too much when you approach planets, or if you felt the entire system slowing too much for your taste...

Now I'll setup a little forum where these tips / bugfixes will be posted.

36. skeptika

skeptika

Can we get a webplayer demo or standalone demo? The pricing is fair, but I think you'd get more purchases if people could actually see what they're buying (as in take it for a test drive via a demo). Doesn't need to be anything fancy, just a single planet with the ability to zoom all the way in or way, way out :) Just my 2 cents, congrats and getting it near completion, this should be an awesome addition to an already awesome indie dev scene!

37. imerso

imerso

For now there is the original techdemo at http://etereo.com.br - and that is what it is about, but now with the Unity3d.

[]s
    imerso

38. skeptika

skeptika

Yah I'd seen that, but I was under the impression you had some terrain going, everything in that demo is just a round orb unless I'm missing something? :) Regardless it's cool, but I was really hoping to get a feel for the terrain generation.

39. imerso

imerso

Should be 9 complete planets with atmospheres, terrains and oceans, orbiting a star.

But that (non unity) version has compatibility problems with some cards, indeed. What is your videocard model?

Anyway, ok I'll build a webplayer version.

Thanks,

imerso

40. skeptika

skeptika

That must be it then, because I only see round orbs with textures. My vid card is an ATI Radeon HD 4800. If I progress at all with my game here, I'll almost assuredly be buying this, I had planned on doing it more Freelancer style, but I'll always take more realistic planets over simple orbs ;)

EDIT: can confirm your demo does work on my laptop, also an ATI (mobile of course). Sadly it ran at like 5fps, so I'd still love to see a web or standalone unity demo. Very very cool though, I've seen so many guys make planet engines like this that never, ever seem to get released.

P.S. how you are dealing with floating point accuracy in Unity at such a large scale?

41. Arsonide

Arsonide

Well, for anybody that might have purchased this already, I spent about three hours trying to get it to work before realizing that it's using the GL Class and I believe possibly some RenderTexture stuff, which means it is Pro only.

I searched every page of this thread, I searched the website, I searched the Pre-Buy page, and I searched the email that was sent to me after purchase, and it is not mentioned anywhere that you need Pro to use this, so that'd be a nice thing to put on there imerso. Are you planning on releasing a version that is compatible with Unity Free?

Unfortunately I don't have the type of budget that would allow me to drop $1500 on Unity Pro, so I'm going to have to dispute the charge if not, as it was not mentioned anywhere.

EDIT: Yeah...after upgrading to a trial of Unity Pro it works great.

42. psyclone

psyclone

OK, Have finally had a chance to look at it..

Look good on the Windows System, but under MacOSX there are a number of glitches on the planet shaders. Mostly just white glitching,

Tested on Same Hardware, running Windows 7 64bit -- Works Fine.. looks good

running MacOSX Lion -- Glitchy as per screen shots below.

BTW Using Unity Pro 3.4

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  43. softrare

softrare

Really? Its Pro only? :(

imerso, I am just waiting for my paypal to get charged but don't have Pro. Is it possible that you could release it compatible with Unity Indie aswell?? Maybe you have to disable some visual features? If you did that and I knew which those were I'd probably still buy it ASAP! :)

44. imerso

imerso

This is possible to make the code work under Unity Free, we can make that this week yet. Please note that CPU performance for fractal generation is a lot inferior to the GPU, so we will have to use a bit less detailed planets... but I'll do that for you.

Thanks,

imerso

45. Arsonide

Arsonide

Awesome sauce. Thank you! That'll also drastically increase the amount of people that will buy it in the future.

46. imerso

imerso

Yes, it is possible to make it run under Unity Indie, but not at the same detail as the Pro version. I will be working on that this week.

Thanks,

imerso

47. imerso

imerso

Hmm looks like shader problems. Could we have a session of tests -- I would send some shaders and scenes for you to test if they work under your Mac?

Thanks,

imerso

48. softrare

softrare

That'd be great! Thank you so much! Waiting for the Indie-compatible release :) Would help me to see a video or the webplayer to know how many details I am missing when using Indie, if you finished working on this. Thanks again!

49. imerso

imerso

No probs, but please note that after fixing the problems the price will change, and I do not promise source-code release for ever. People who are getting now may be very lucky for that, we don't know about tomorrow.

Thanks,

imerso

50. softrare

softrare

Well yes, I bought now, didn't realize that it is 99 $ not € :D So I had enough money for that on the paypal. Waiting for the code now :)