Search Unity

FULL BODY IK, Mech Spiders and much more about to hit the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Partel-Lang, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Griffo

Griffo

Partel

Thanks for answering my question, is there a demo, tutorial, documentation to show me how to do that please?

Thanks.

2. Piranha668

Piranha668

hey also, for people who buy the beta? will they get the full release for free or will there be some type of upgrade package?

3. janpec

janpec

Hahaha, just like i imagined it. 1000 face plants under 1 hour:D

4. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi, thanks a lot, Armando, thanks for the purchase and I really appreciate the review :). I try to make at least 1 tutorial each day if I can, what kind of a tutorial would you be most interested in?

You will get the full release and any other future update of Final IK with no extra charge :)

Here you go: Asset Store thread

I decided to go with Aim IK on this one, probably easier. The bonus is that you can use the same Aim IK setup to also swing left or right. It is possible to even combine that with FBBIK like in the Motion Absorb demo if you want to take that further. :)

Cheers,
    Pärtel

5. Griffo

Griffo

Partel, WOW .. thank you so much for that, you now have one new happy customer ..

6. Whippets

Whippets

Hi Partel :)

I've discovered a need for something that would be really useful...
    using ik.solver.<effector>.positionWeight - moves in a linear fashion from zero to one. Now imagine reaching for something - the hand moves in the Z axis in Slerp style - in fact, if you try moving your hand to your stomach - you'll see that all 3 axis movements are spherical not linear.

Would it be possible to have an ik.solver.<effector>.MotionType = Linear/Spherical to give the option of linear or spherical motion, using Slerp instead of Lerp? It would be really handy for living things - as they move with spherical motions, not linear :)

Maybe even allowing the motion type to be selectable in each axis - would allow for the maximum of control over the movement

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  7. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Thats an excellent point, Whippets, thanks! I think I have an idea how to implement that... Actually I just ran into the necessity myself creating the next tutorial. It would be managed through limb mapping instead.. I think I'll add IKMappingLimb.weight, that would be the localRotation slerp weight of rotating the limb bones to the target.. should do the trick. This approach has the additional benefit of enabling us to weigh out IK for limbs that we don't need to solve.

Thanks for the feedback :)
    Pärtel

8. Piranha668

Piranha668

the aim ik, would be amazing since thats one of the main reasons i bought your pack =), thanks agian

9. Whippets

Whippets

Looking for integration ideas, Partel? UMA face IK would be uber handy to run alongside FBBIK. Your solving system might do wonders for facial expressions where changes to mouth = changes to cheek position, eye openness/angle. The weighting lerp/slerp would be perfect for the task, especially as UMA is being incorporated into PlayMaker and CharacterSystem :)

10. imtrobin

imtrobin

Why do you need 4.3? Can you make it work with 4.0?

11. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

I don't. Actually before 4.3 it was working with even 3.7.5. But then it came and it once again changed the way the editors work and look (deprecated LookLikeInspector and some other changes) and since my package relies heavily on custom inspectors, it grew to ridiculous backward compatibility to maintain and just had to drop it. :(

It was a tough decision, but it had to be made.

Pärtel

12. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Check out the new tutorial mostly about Aim IK:

13. imtrobin

imtrobin

A shame. Still had to rely on 4.1 for live wallpaper.

14. blueivy

blueivy

Would our system be able to do something like "sword ik"? Kinda like what they did in kingdom come deliverance
    "You have a move, the move has its rules and its look, and then the game calculates what happens. For example, if you are next to a wall and you swing toward the wall, your sword will slide off the wall, slow down, and the impact will be less when you finally make contact with your enemy."

15. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

I've got a rough version of that working based upon the included motion absorb demo so that weapons can hit objects during a swing. It works but I need to make it smoother as it looks a bit glitchy. However, the more advanced behaviors you are describing would require a ton of custom physics work. I'm not even sure if it would be possible with Unity physics as they are.

Man I really wish Unity would update physx. Some guy was working on a custom wrapper around an updated physx and I'd love to see that completed. It wouldn't be as good as a native update but it'd be something.

16. FuzzyShan

FuzzyShan

Can you provide an example/guide of biped character using limbIK or customIK some sort for foot placement? That would be really helpful.

Thanks

17. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

Partel Lang , this asset is really good, but i really would like to see a tutorial of aiming ik like that angry bots, but with a full mecanim humanoind character, can you please make to solve my doubts? if its easy, you will have one instant customer here,

Many thanks

18. neoshaman

neoshaman

19. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

+1 on updating Physx :)

Exmaple of a mecanim character with AimIK coming up.. But for your information, Aim IK doesn't even care what kind of animating system you are using, It does its thing in LateUpdate when Mecanim/Legacy is alraedy done and it doesn't even reference the Animator/Animation component, so it's entirely up to you what kind of aiming system you apply it on. All it does is just rotate a hierarhcy of bones to make a child Transform of that hierarchy to point at a target.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

20. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

I think that Thief video only has keyframe animation..

But if you want to make a Hand IK solution, with Final IK, you have all the solvers and rotation limits at your command so be my guest :)

21. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

oh please please please ! I am putting all my cards in this asset, its really geniously !

***************************** folks, my friend show to me some features of this asset via teamviewer, and for sure it worth every penny, and the developer said that will show us some mecanim weapon ik!!!!!! Great support ! Many thanks!

Many thanks

22. forcepusher

forcepusher

I was very scared about the mobile performance, video with 10 characters on Galaxy Note didn't convince me.

So I've measured time it takes to solve one character on Samsung Galaxy S3, turned out it's ~0.4 ms on low quality, and ~0.75 ms on good quality. That's a daym good result.
    I caked my heavily graphics utilized scene running at 45-60 FPS with 40 FBIK characters and didn't suffer any performance drop from solver since it wasn't my bottleneck.
    Anyway why would somebody put over 40 characters on the screen with active solvers at the same time ?
    This asset is epic.

23. Adinac

Adinac

Was playing with FinalIK last night. My first attempt.. Was very fun. No animations were used to make this.

>>Video<<

24. neoshaman

neoshaman

@Patel
    I'll do it, I have to wait for the fund, I hope you continue working and this and also make puppet master!
    However I have one final question, How hard it will be to do something like spore's creatures editor?

25. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi, thanks and I'm glad you guys are having fun with this :D
    Cowboy crash test dummies, thats crazy :D

@neoshaman
    By looking at the Spore's creatures editor, I'd say the IK part of it is the least of your problems, as it seems to be a massively complex editor. But you can use FABRIK to pull and push the joints around.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

26. kimsama

kimsama

Does it support foot placement IK on a irregular ground?

Read and watched the document and youtube videos then the BipedIK seems to support that.

But if it does not, is there any plan to support that and so, when?

Thank you for the great job.

Best,

-Kim

27. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi, not yet, but Bruno Xavier has already made his Mecanim Foot Placement work with Final IK.
    And I will add my own built in foot placement, that I have the code for already, just needs a bit more work and testing.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

28. kimsama

kimsama

Good to hear that!

Yes, I know that and already tried. The problem of mine with Bruno's Foot placement is that it only works with Mecanim character not with a character which has legacy animation component.

Final IK does not need mecanim's Animator, so it is a bit better on my case because the player character of mine does not use Animator but Animation. Also I need a kind of aiming IK to make it exactly pointing out a stick on a hand to aim a ball on a ground.

Hope to see the foot placement IK of FinalIK soon.

Thanks for the reply.

Best,

-Kim

29. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Also waiting for the "Grounding" foot placement system. When this is included is the price for Final IK going to change as well? Also, could you possible include a tutorial video for quadrupeds, or does Final IK only work for bipeds?

30. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

At last! Just got this! I'm trying the demos and they look so kool! Thank you!!

31. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

I'm going to take on the Grounding once Ive submitted the next update, so its coming in beta and I don't plan to change the price of Final IK as long as it's in beta at least..

FBBIK is meant to be used with bipeds, but that doesn't mean it can't be used with others to a degree, please see this video.

Great, thanks a lot! I hope you'll enjoy :D

32. Yokil

Yokil

I saw the example of the bomb, would like to know how to apply it as follows: He was hit by bombs and fall on the floor by the end, then he tries to force the animation to get up (Much like the example of the bomb, however adding more reality).

Thanks in advance

33. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi, what do you mean force the animation to get up, like get up from rag doll?

34. Yokil

Yokil

I have the example of the Viking who is affected by the explosion, I wish it was more realistic. When he gets close to the ground it will automatically apply the animation to stand, I would like to know how to make him fall to the ground affected by physical and try to get up obeying the speed limit that I determine in the script "Rotation limit Hinger".

Still confused? English is not my native language

35. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

So you want to stress hitting the ground a bit more? you could do a raycast towards the ground to know when the character hits the ground and then you could use EffectorOffset to push the body down for a moment, that would give you the effect of physically falling to the ground I guess. But I still didn't understand the speed limit and the Rotation limit Hinger part :)

Cheers,
    Pärtel

36. deltamish

deltamish

Really Awesome.Nice Work.:D

37. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

I cant express my gratitude, Many thanks for your great **tips** about that problem ! and I will repeat, this is a must have for any project! you will never regreat to buy this great asset !

Many thanks once again!

38. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

I finally bought this amazing asset! I'm really impressed with what it can do, I've been needing functionality like this for a while now. Great work Partel ;)

I was going through the demos and I noticed that there are a few demos from the online videos that are missing. Would it be possible to have these added in a future update? I'd really like to explore the functionality shown in the videos. I made a list:

Aim IK Redirecting
    Procedural Body Tilt 3PS Aiming System (only the body tilt is included in the demo)
    Double Pistol functionality

Keep up the awesome work!

39. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Thank you very much for all the kind words, it feels great to know you guys are enjoying the package! :D

About the demos... AimIK Redirecting is missing because it was made after the beta release, I will add that. Bodytilt+3ps aiming still needs some simplification, but will be added as soon as possible. Double pistol demo I could not add, because I don't own the character nor the animations. I can rework it though if you are interested in how it works. Basically it's nothing more than just 2 AimIK components on the same character, one for the spine and the right arm and the other for just the left arm, updating after the right arm one. :)

Cheers,
    Pärtel

40. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

If you could that would be great.

41. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

For some reason my UMA prefab models (so not instantiated at runtime but saved UMA models and rigs) never work very well with AimIK. They work fine with LookIK but even setting them up exactly as indicated in the video they glitch out trying to get them to aim a transform. In particular they seem to look exactly opposite of the solver.IKPosition so if I move it up they look down, move it left they look right, etc. Any ideas?

42. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Can you send me a package with the character that has this problem? If its exactly opposite, maybe the Axis is wrong, try inverting the Axis and see what happens.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

43. LordBytesworth

LordBytesworth

Just purchased, amazing package, very impressed. Everything is so cleanly presented.

It would be awesome to see all of your demo scripts combined into one seamless environment, something like where a character walks through a scene, looks at an object while responding to hits from random directions etc. Maybe something along the lines of responding to environment collisions, so you could do some form of motion absorbing for a running animation if the biped suddenly encounters a wall for example... while carrying a certain item? Inertia could increase within certain bounds. If you get grounding sorted, then perhaps some uneven terrain, small stairs and slopes. Think of it as combined stress-testing.

Keep up the good work. Everything you have made so far has a certain professional and clean-cut feeling to it :) One of the best out there for sure.
    I was first interested in Final IK when I was deciding the most flexible approach towards parsing and representing robotic-arm motion scripts from an external source, for the purpose of visualisation and design for a company named Robo-Moco.
    I look forward to seeing what comes next!

44. _snoe

_snoe

Hi Pärtel, wonderful package you've got here!

I've been struggling with my FBBIK weights; if I have my character reach directly forward, for example, the positioning and rotation of his arm is significantly different between a.) setting the FBBIK weight to 0.5 with a hand pull of 1, and b.) setting the FBBIK weight to 1 with a hand pull of 0.5. It seems that the effector weights are heavily skewed towards 1; by that I mean that changing the hand effector weight from 1 to 0.5 makes almost no difference in the solved arm at all, while changing the weight from 0.5 to 0 makes a huge difference. Changing the FBBIK weights in a similar manner while keeping the effector weight at 1 shows more consistent changes. Is this intentional? The effect that I get from adjusting only the FBBIK weight while keeping the effector weight at 1 is much more natural and believable, but breaks down when I want to having different effectors weighing in at different times.

If this isn't making sense, I'd be happy to take some screenshots when I get home from work.
    Thank you for the great work on this!

45. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi, and thanks a lot! :) Thing with the demos is that I can't just get mocap from the Asset Store or Mixamo and include it in my package, everything I use in the demos I have to own the rights to sell so I have to find a way to get a lot of custom animation data first if I wanted to make demos like that. Maybe I should invest in my own mocap studio. ;)

Hi, Snoe, thanks for the feedback, but Im already ahead of you, it won't be an issue anymore after the update. :)

Cheers,
    Pärtel

46. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Hi Partel, you've mentioned playmaker support and they mention it on the their site but I can't find a link to the actions for playmaker?

47. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

As of now I only have very basic Playmaker actions for FBBIK.
    I hope to get some more feedback on them so I know if Im on the right track..

Pärtel

48. feneq

feneq

Hey there. I have not purchased Final IK but from the videos it looks really impressive. I've actually never used IK in any of my games so please excuse my ignorance. How realistic would it be to use Final IK in a networked multiplayer game?

Edit: To be clear, I'm asking if it's a large undertaking to use IK in a networked game, especially for someone like me who has never worked with IK.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  49. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi, Feneq, and welcome!

Since almost nothing related to animation is usually synced over the network, I dont see any problem with using it in a networked multiplayer game. You should have each client manage their own IK.

Cheers, :)
    Pärtel

50. _snoe

_snoe

Great news! Is this in the 0.2 beta, or an upcoming one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.