Search Unity

FULL BODY IK, Mech Spiders and much more about to hit the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Partel-Lang, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Yes, we can!

I have it already actually. It is fully animation independent, meaning you won't need to set up any curves or anything, just drop on the component and you're done. But it still needs quite a bit of work and I doubt it will make it to the initial release. You see, I have to prioritise making IK systems rather than making systems that are using the IK.

That could be done with IK I guess, although using physics instead could take you a lot further. Its funny you should mention this because I do have something interesting in the labs in that matter. The following does NOT use Final IK:

I just hope I can someday make a living with that stuff so I could quit my boring day job and start delivering all the crazy ideas I have full time :)

2. lazygunn

lazygunn

Firstly, that video is very funny and exactly what ive tried and only partially suceeded at (getting animation to ragdoll and back again gracefully) that was a great idea you had, doing it your way. And secondly these are people selling assets on the store making a fortune, not a great percentage but the ones that made the most useful assets. This stuff youre doing there just seems unmissable

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  3. John-G

John-G

Releasing as beta now would be an excellent idea.
    Like Steve said above, getting people to run it around the block is a great way to find issues that may not be picked up till after release.
    You could release it as beta with an enticing introductory price from your own website to get it out and tested ASAP.

4. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

New video uploaded - The Illusion of Mass

5. SteveB

SteveB

I love the ragdoll video, and that same system in the last two GTA's is very well utilized.

Curious though...it's not Final IK yet this is your content. Explain yourself! Haha :D

-Steven

6. SteveB

SteveB

That last video...this just keeps getting better and better.

Seriously Partel...HERE is money. Just take it already!

7. SteveB

SteveB

Btw you should've named the video "The Illusion of Life" :D

Predictably one of my most cherished possessions...1st Edition

8. ZJP

ZJP

@OP
    Your library is exactly what i'm looking for solving a problem : The body's reaction to the breath of an explosion, when bodies are propelled into the air.
    Can you please post a video like this?

9. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

U
    Why don't you just use a ragdoll and rigidbody.AddExplosionForce?

10. ZJP

ZJP

Because it looks like disjointed dolls.

Look at 1:10. Better than a simple ragdoll.

11. goat

goat

Not blowing sunshine here but I think realistically this is the one add-on that you have to buy if you use Unity. The alternative UI systems aren't a must, nor are any of the others assets. Others will argue but it comes down to a choice not a necessity. This utility is a must and not a necessity for anyone that wants to extend there games beyond FPS and the animations that are freely available for those and can't afford animation capture studios.

You should make a lot more money than the top assets and that's even with the same or lower price. You'll have to find a balance between volume and fair price because really you could fairly charge quite a lot for this but you know that. When you do decide on price though don't let pirates influence that decision. The pirate places even pedal free software as being pirated although clearly it couldn't be pirated.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  12. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

So how would you land those exploding characters realistically without using ragdolls?

13. goat

goat

That scene isn't realistic at all, it's more like they jumped backwards without a strength that their legs possess. A lot of cool effects in movies are so unrealistic because were the realistic you couldn't tolerate watching it.

14. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

There you go :)

Basically how it works is you just weigh in the hand and leg effectors at the moment of the explosion and fly away with the rigidbody attached to the character's root. Then during flight you smoothly weigh out the limb effectors until you land. On top of that is the Inertia script from the last video that I kept to smooth things out. If you want to take it further, you could make it a ragdoll mid-flight as the pose should not change a lot until it lands.

Btw, I thought about the beta release and it does seem like a good idea since I see a number of you really interested. Don't expect anything too soon though, its christmas time you know ;)

15. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

... and I haven't even shown you half of Final IK yet ;)

16. ZJP

ZJP

I had no doubt about this possibility. :D :D

17. ZJP

ZJP

So, release it as beta 0.X
    Come on, do it now. 2 month!! Very very long. :(

18. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Amazing! ME WANT!!! huehuehue
    I was learning about these systems because I'm not happy with UT's solution, glad that there is out there such advanced system, this is going to be awesome!

19. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

New video! This one demonstrates how you can make the Angry Bots guy aim at almost anywhere with no work, just fun :)

20. janpec

janpec

Partel does this solution also uses ragdoll itself, for when characters enter death state? As far as i notice from videos this IK solution is sorth of "living" ragdoll solution. Good job by the way. Also what is FPS decrease rate per 1 character using this system?

21. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

No ragdolls used in Final IK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxZAD_hlvUA

22. thedreamer

thedreamer

It is a good idea to start from beta
    many program has been launched from beta
    UniRPG also started in beta

There is no perfect software
    After having heard the opinion of many people, improving is the best way

23. ZJP

ZJP

It seems that the developer does not answer about a beta. Just waiting the final release.

24. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Meaning yes, I'm going to make the beta, it will still take some time to prepare though + pushing it through the Asset Store, so don't expect to add Final IK to a project you want to release for Christmas. :)

Please understand that this is a 100% solo project, I even made the annoying background music for the videos, so I've put my name behind it and the last thing I want to do is rush it and ruin it.

25. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there Partel! This is amazing! =D
    Some years ago I was inspired by overgrowth active ragdoll system do create something similar using Configurable Joints, but I didn´t managed to reach those impressive results!!!
    Would it be possible using Full IK on avatars that receive body changes dynamically?
    I´ve been working on UMA for more than a year now (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/153689-procedural-character-generation) and it would be mind blowing to see those two working together.
    Cheers!

26. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

"the solver is fully scalable and stretchable" ^Above question was already answered on video =D

27. Siddown

Siddown

Partel,

Fantastic work, but can I give you one piece of advice?

Tag your YouTube videos with Unity3d (or something similar) making it easier to find them. I'm just starting out, and whenever I have a few spare minutes I take a look at new videos posted to YouTube and I've never come across yours before. Even now, searching for "unity3d mass" or "unity3d inertia" or something similar never returns your videos.

I would never have seen them if I didn't click on this thread, and I only did that because I was curious about the Mechanical Spiders in the subject. :)

28. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi, Fernando, I tried out your incredible avatar system. Works as expected :)

29. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Thanks, Siddown, for your concern :)

30. Whippets

Whippets

Just incredible, I have a million uses for this already - in conjunction with Fernando's UMA system. Will there be an API to allow us to do all the IK at runtime; either dynamically hard coded or by defining and activating some preset positioning? Truely awesome, Partel

31. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

oh okay, well I can wish for ceiling and wall clinging can't I :D

but seriously though I did miss that spider demo in my excited response haha, and that does looks really cool, and is a lot closer to some stuff I have tried with IK in the past and hit a wall with (while trying to get a spider IK setup) - so I am looking forward to this release! keep up the good work!!!

32. sc3

sc3

Looks fantastic, we'll definitely be waiting for this!!

33. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Yes you can just add the FullBodyBipedIK component like any other and then you have the BipedReferences class that holds the definition of the biped (which bone is the hip and which is the foot and so on) - you can fill in the definition manually or have it automatically detected. Then you would just feed it to the component by FullBodyBipedIK.SetReferences(your biped definition). The solver will initiate and you have FBIK. :)

The solver will adapt to all changes automatically except the changes to the biped references. It would be an unnecessary waste of performance to check each frame if it has changed. So if you want to completely change your biped definition in runtime, it should be done via calling SetReferences again with the new BipedReferences instance. The only limitation is that when the solver (re)initiates, it samples the current pose to find out which way the limbs should be bent, so at that point your biped should be in a pose that is humanly achievable at least :)

Setting up FBBIK is usually one-click deployment, but there are a few exceptions and special types of characters that require a bit of adjusting but nothing that could not be done within Unity and with less than a minute of your time. I will post a video and update the documentation and user manual on the details of setting up FBBIK when I get to it.

Cheers

34. janpec

janpec

Oh awesome so this solution will work with Fernandos UMA system too?

35. Whippets

Whippets

Yep, Working with UMA is going to be increasingly important :)

36. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

That's another asset i have in mind to buy, how about the price?

PD: I will need to save for your great work hahah

37. janpec

janpec

Hehe awesome, look forward to purchase. One quick question, would it be possible for melee fighting game to make sword impacts rotate hand IK, for example when player hits something with sword he is holding, hand IK rotates a bit so that impact is a bit absorbed.

38. asafsitner

asafsitner

39. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

This changes everything!

40. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Wow! It looks amazing! =D As soon it hits AssetStore it will be a instant buy for me :)

41. ZJP

ZJP

Much has changed since your script. :D

42. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Bah, silly two segments IK script!

I'm extremely hyped about this full body IK, I love the spider video! So many possibilities!

I really love this video as well:

But that's a different Partel Lang project. But hopefully he keeps working on that as well... imagine the character animations with physical interactions that can be accomplished!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  43. janpec

janpec

YES please release this procedural live ragdoll animation too, community would really appretiate it.

44. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

To answer your question...

Took me an hour or so :)

Some of you may be wondering why Im spending time on doing demos on request.. well firstly, I just want to prove you guys that Final IK can handle not just the stuff that I choose to show you, but whatever you guys can throw at it. Secondly, Its part of the testing process, with almost every demo I have found some bugs or points of improvement, so It will be less hassle for you (and me) later :).

Thats the third rewrite of the system (I call it PuppetMaster), the first one was using simply spring joints to pin ragdolls to animation. It had a quite nice toony effect, quite similar to the Inertia demo. I was making a small game with it a few years ago: Scotch Snuff
    That got suspended because I realised I had to rewrite for performance reasons.

The second rewrite was using AddForce and AddTorque to pin to animation. That didn't work quite as expected, so the third version that you can see in the video is using ConfigurableJoint and AddForce and AddTorque sometimes and is the most promising yet.

I think I'm going to need another rewrite though because I want to investigate into genetic algorithms (this is how NaturalMotion does it allegedly) and see if I can somehow automatically convert mocap to physical muscle clips to "awesomize" the creation of procedural behaviours like stagger, stumble, catch fall and whatever else you can imagine. Currently those behaviours can be achieved, but the process of creating them is still quite painful and hacky and doesn't extend well to different types of characters.

Thats what took me to creating Final IK actually, because I needed a simple yet flexible IK setup, the built in one that arrived in 4.0 didn't have the most basic option of modifying the bend direction so I decided to create my own (so thanks a lot to whoever decided in Unity that nobody needs to change the swivel angle anyway :D). It just started growing on that.

I do intend to continue work on PuppetMaster once Final IK is released and working smoothly and I can reduce the workload on that a bit. I do believe that creating awesome active ragdolls in Unity could be a one-click process. :)

45. lazygunn

lazygunn

Picking a price for this is going to be tricky eh. Technically you could ask for an absolute S***ton based on competency, but that goes a bit against the unity ideology. Cant price it too, low, even 40 dollars (im english but somethings exchange rate computer isnt working cause im sure europeans get charged over odds) is 'cheap' and this should be seen as a serious bit of kit. Weighing up what it's actually worth vs the fact if it works as advertised its an essential buy for anyone doing anything with skeletal animation in unity and every man and his dog will buy it.

I personally hope you just give me a free copy cause im perpetually broke and rely on generosity/audacious approaches to get free things as much as possible, but yeah, make it so everyone can feasibly buy a copy, just people at the no money end of the scale have to stretch a tiny bit to get there. I think its what everyones wondering cause over 100 is going to exclude a bunch of especially the younger unity users, but you should be sitting on a mountain of cash from it, i dunno. You'd be able to tell when someone pirated it to cause youd see it in a game and go 'hah you used final ik right?' then awkward financing convo follows. Not that its a glaring thing, more that theres no other way you can do it as far as i know

46. Whippets

Whippets

Ah, but can the avatar being hit with the stick respond as if being hit whilst doing his normal "combat idle" or move of his own... maybe even being knocked over?

47. goat

goat

You need to price it so Final IK Puppet Master can be your full time job. I would ask Unity for help on the price. There are several $100 - $150 - $200 more but are those programmers/artists supporting themselves with the revenue?

Would a price that's competitive with Mixamo's 'Everything for a Year' stymie adaptation too much to support yourself with this? You'd have to pay your own social insurance and taxes and such...save for retirement....(as maybe Estonia much more sensible than the US with government printing presses).

Notice, those aren't typical questions one sees in the W.I.P. section.

You need to make a lot of money to make those your full time job.

48. lazygunn

lazygunn

I know of asset developers living extremely comfortably off the back of a central product typically priced 60 or so but some go lower and some higher. A lot of asset store products are for niche uses, some are purely only usable for fun. While obviously furthering my agenda to get a free copy, i'd say this did very much sit in the same ballpark as ngui or the 2d toolkit where if youre doing stuff in that field, you're shooting yourself in the foot by not givng yourself the options this affords you, it should certainly come in bundled flavours with the puppet master thing but i dont see that being a focus right now. I'm basically just sizing up how hard im going to be hit by my partner when i buy it without telling her

49. goat

goat

Well, Unity can't say how much specific Asset Store Kiosks are making but they can guide him in pricing with their knowledge.

50. MotuProprio

MotuProprio

Your work looks fantastic!
    Any ETA on release?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.