Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[FREE] [Released] newUI_Tooltip

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Zurusona-Kitsune, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Zurusona-Kitsune

Zurusona-Kitsune

Hi

Since the new unity 4.6 UI didn't include a built-in tooltip, I made one and I will share it for free on the asset store.

You can download the asset here : Asset Store
    This link will take you to the webplayer example : WebPlayer Demo

and here is a screenshot for it :

Untitled.png

It's not the prettiest page but it is a functional asset.
    I made it for another project and decided to share it with everyone so enjoy.

You can pick one of 2 ways to display the tooltip. on the right or left of the object so the tooltip will never cover the UI item it describe, or coming from the center of it.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  2. jtok4j

jtok4j

Wow,
    I tried the demo out, and what a great idea! I wish the Unity Engine has a feature like this would could easily be toggled on/off. It would make learning so much more speedy!
    Thank-you, and please do update the post once it's accepted into the AssetStore!

3. Zurusona-Kitsune

Zurusona-Kitsune

I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    From what I read in another thread, eventually the new UI will have a tooltip integrated. But who knows when this will happen.
    Since unity 4.6 was recently released, I assume it won't be for at least another 2 months which is the reason I wrote my own solution.

This won't be a toggle but it will be quite easy to use. Basically it will be made of 2 scripts you'll need to add to your scene and the tooltip prefab.
    The first script is simply the tooltip setup which you'll add to an empty gameObject and setup the options for the tooltip.
    The other script will be added on any UI element. You'll be able to change the text in it's inspector.

jtok4j likes this.
  4. Zurusona-Kitsune

Zurusona-Kitsune

newUI_Tooltip has been accepted.
    I've now updated the main post where you can find the link to the asset store.