Search Unity

[FREE] Material Manager

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Elzean, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Elzean

Elzean

Hey i made a small asset for myself and was wondering if it would interest any of you, so i know if i need to clean it up a bit or not.

It open as a window from the window menu, It help to assign materials to a group of gameobjects, it looks like this :

In my scene i selected all the rocks and click "Add selection to list" :

Then if i drag and drop another material on the thumbnail it replace the material for all the objects :

You can pick a material from the scene selection and create as many groups as you want. If you change the ID in the top it will show a different list of groups for that ID (for multi-material objects).

All the setup is save in a ".asset" inside your project.

Its not too complicated, and depending how you work and what other other assets you have not sure it would be usefull for everyone...

Anyway let me know what you think :p

rakkarage and Kellyrayj like this.
  2. auntiejrg

auntiejrg

It looks like it might save some time for level creators.

3. FreakForFreedom

FreakForFreedom

It looks like it might save A LOT of time for a lot of people. I would insta-buy it, even if it's free. :)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. MagicZelda

MagicZelda

looks good, nice little app for time saving :)

5. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

This looks awesome. Look forward to trying it out! My material and texture folder structure is abysmal, hope something like this can fix it.

6. Zeblote

Zeblote

I have an idea to make it even better:

Instead of only dragging on the thumbnail, dragging a new material on any of the objects in the list changes it for all

7. Elzean

Elzean

Thanks for all the replies, i'm testing and debuging. Still need to add undo / redo stuff, never did before so i need to check how.

This is interesting idea i will see what i can do, don't know yet if i can easily detect a material change in one of the group.

I was wondering if anyone know if it's possible to create some sort of custom filters, the one use in the hierarchy search field ?

8. Elzean

Elzean

I made some change and added the inspector for each material so it can be edited from the window, here is the new look :

9. Elzean

Elzean

Small update with a focus option to filter a group :

Undo / Redo seems to work.
    I don't save data into a ".asset" anymore as i couldn't keep the reference to the gameobject after a loading a new scene. So i now create a gameobject holding the data for the current scene.

I also added the idea suggested earlier, you can drop a material in the scene and if it belongs to one of the group it will change the material for all gameobjects of the same group.

Seems to work well enough, could look fancier, but i already did a lot more than i planned XD

I will try to prepare a package tomorrow or during next week!

10. Elzean

Elzean

Hey you can get it here : http://www.julientonsuso.com/shop/unity-material-manager/

Just pic the 0$ price and you should receive a download link. Hope this is not too much inconvenience i would like to know if my website behave correctly for this kind of stuff and this is a good occasion to test it :)

Let me know if you have any problem to get the download or with the asset itself!

11. Zeblote

Zeblote

Wait, how do I use it? The editor window it opens is empty regardless of what I select in the scene/project

12. Elzean

Elzean

yes you need to create a new group with the button on the top then you drag a material on the new slot.

You can then add gameobjects to this group and they will be sync

13. Elzean

Elzean

Ho and the focus button is like a shortcut to isolated your group within the scene view

14. Zeblote

Zeblote

I don't see any button :(

15. Elzean

Elzean

Are you with Unity 5 ?

Do you got any error in your console ?

its possible i made a mistake when creating the package

16. Elzean

Elzean

ha i know why you have nothing, let me a minute to remake the package :)

17. Elzean

Elzean

the files are online, you should have receive a mail update. Or you can download it again, anyway let me know if you still have the problem!

18. Zeblote

Zeblote

Creating the group works now! I assigned the red material and the 3 red cubes to it. :D

Creating a second group and assigning a second material to it, then selecting the remaining 3 cubes and adding them results in this:

:(

19. Elzean

Elzean

i'm trying to reproduce it, did you change the ID field at 0 ?

In case you want to retry you can simply remove the MaterialManager gameobject from the scene, it will will recreate one empty instantly. This should reset your window.

I couldn't reproduce that error but i will check futher, thx for testing :)

20. Elzean

Elzean

Actually if you still have the error could you send me your project ?
    It's an empty new project right ?

Then i might be able to correct the problem.

21. Zeblote

Zeblote

Well, I tried the same thing again after restarting unity and now it works... :D

22. Elzean

Elzean

ho ok, in case i made a new upload i change a few things that might correct a few things if you have other problems you can try :)