Search Unity

Free Live Online Training from Unity Technologies

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Adam-Buckner, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NareshKhandla

NareshKhandla

Awesome! thanks for this new live training session.

2. NareshKhandla

NareshKhandla

What about kinect detection programming ?.
    what about dragging and translate game object by my left or right hand using kinect device.?
    How to detect click event on button by hand.? There's not a lot of info about it...

3. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

All of the scripts should be added to the lesson page like this:

If you find a session that is missing their scripts, please post a link to that lesson, and we will fix it.

4. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Just a note:

I will be on holiday until the second week of January, so will not be checking the forum much until I'm back.

5. Daftsins

Daftsins

Hey I can't get the old sample assets beta...I have the ones for 4.6. Can you help me cause the character script is different and it dont work now...

6. weitay

weitay

7. nixter

nixter

Big thanks to Mike Geig for the Merry Fragmas tutorials! I look forward to a sequel.

Many of us had trouble with this tutorial because of the update to the Unity Sample Asset's First Person Character prefab. The changes made to the prefab cause the code on the tutorial post to throw errors. I was able to tweek my code and finish all three. Here is some code modifications to handle the update:

FirstPersonController.cs

Code (CSharp):
    1.         private float _nextStep = 0f;
    2.         private bool _jumping = false;
    4.         // For Merry Fragmas
    5.         Animator anim;
    Code (CSharp):
    1.             _nextStep = _stepCycle/2f;
    2.             _jumping = false;
    4.             // For Merry Fragmas
    5.             anim = GetComponentInChildren<Animator>();
    Code (CSharp):
    2. #if !MOBILE_INPUT
    3.             // On standalone builds, walk/run speed is modified by a key press.
    4.             // keep track of whether or not the character is walking or running
    5.             _isWalking = !Input.GetKey(KeyCode.LeftShift);
    7.             // For Merry Fragmas
    8.             bool aim = Input.GetButton("Fire2");
    9.             if(aim){
    10.                 _isWalking = true;
    11.             }
    12.             anim.SetBool("Sprint", !_isWalking);
    13.             anim.SetBool("Aim", aim);
    PlayerNetworkMover.cs

Code (CSharp):
    1.             rigidbody.useGravity = true;
    2.             GetComponent<UnitySampleAssets.Characters.FirstPerson.FirstPersonController>().enabled = true;
    3.             //GetComponent<FirstPersonCharacter>().enabled = true;
    4.             //GetComponent<FirstPersonHeadBob>().enabled = true;
    5.             //GetComponent<SimpleMouseRotator>().enabled = true;
    6.             GetComponentInChildren<PlayerShooting>().enabled = true;
    7.             //foreach(SimpleMouseRotator rot in GetComponentsInChildren<SimpleMouseRotator>())
    8.                 //rot.enabled = true;

8. aklgupta

aklgupta

Hey,
    first of all, thanks a lot for these live sessions, they are really great, I just love them.
    It be great if you could do a tutorial on networking (especially one with AllJoyn, if possible), as I have been trying to figure it out using the documentation as well searching the net and forums and stuff, but had no luck. Also, during my research, I found that many others too had questions related to the topic, especially any sort of local-wifi/bluetooth-networking(which i have found is not possible via unity's in-built tools, and we need AllJoyn for that)
    Thanks a lot once again :D

AshwinMods likes this.
  9. Dacexi

Dacexi

Can i get the notes for
    Live Training Jan. 5th 2014: Creating a Breakout Game for Beginners
    i want it cuz im learning my class Unity. Please?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2015
  10. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Dacexi: What do you mean "Notes"? For the video, please be patient, as it can take a few days to process the live footage and publish it in the Archives. When the video is published, the scripts will be included.

11. SuperNoctiz

SuperNoctiz

12. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Ah - yes. That's probably a typo when creating the web content.

Fixed:

13. Drymarti111

Drymarti111

There will be more merry fragmas multiplayer fps tutorials?

14. Mike-Geig

Mike-Geig

Unity Technologies

There aren't any plans for more at this time.

15. Smartline-Games

Smartline-Games

When will a next session start, soon or not?

P.S I have a rather uncommon request. Something I've been trying to achieve this for 2 years, but without success.
    Could anyone of you please be doing a tutorialsession with creating a Lobby connection system, together with a networked car racing game, sir?

16. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

We will be doing some more networking lessons when Unity 5 comes out and uNet is available.

Be aware, however, the multiplayer networking code is not trivial.

If it were me? Unless I liked writing networking code and got a kick out of it, it would avoid it altogether and look for a pre-made solution.

Suggestions can be: Photon, Much Different's Unity Park suite, Electrotank's ElectroServer, Badumna, Bolt (available on the Asset Store for 2 digits), TNet (also on the Asset Store for 2 digits). There are many others, including SmartFoxServer... None of these solutions are trivial, either... but you'll have a foundation to start from.

Lastly, I'd say that you shouldn't touch networking until you have a good solid base of experience under your fee from making single player games.

17. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

18. Smartline-Games

Smartline-Games

hm. Now I went laughing all the time..
    I have finished a solid base according to a racing game. Atleast networking is simply difficult. I understand yes. It always requires so much of work ; like getting the playersync worked well, no duplicates and no 'stuttering' connection and rotating wheels (wow..).

It is almost impossible to avoid these barriers of problems. Then I bounce on the fact that there is almost no clear tutorial for making a racing but networked functionally game project.

Your advice helps me a bit, but come on guys. Some technical aspects have almost never be discussed about!
    Isn't there really possibility for making tutorials as I said?

19. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Forgive me if I responded below your experience, but so far, I'd say that a number approaching 100% of the requests I get for doing networking are from people who have yet to complete a game!

20. Smartline-Games

Smartline-Games

Ok, I understand now but still...

I'm still everdays trying to get it work correctly, but still no success. (after you realize that it is after a long time now :( )

21. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Well, this is partly why networked multiplayer is not trivial. I've made one networked turn based game, and it was contained enough to be "easier", if not "easy"... but the level of detail needed to write and tune any real time game is massive.

I still fall back on my suggestion of one of the main networking providers.

Here is a very stale page I used to maintain before I came to work here at Unity:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/networking-server-comparison-chart.95277/
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...FVGQWxUWW9Fdmk2RzNfa3hUZU90V1E&hl=en_US#gid=0

This might help you get an idea of where to start...

(And I'll confess to not having looked at this in over a year or more...)

22. OboShape

OboShape

I felt it poignant just a thank you to you all :)

I have to say I personally am absolutely blow away by the lengths unity go to provide us mere developer fledglings with info and video tutorials where you can actually ask the trainer questions all the way. when at the end of the day, they give us a manual and a reference guide... Unity goes above and beyond IMO... how many companies give what unity give us.

I started a year ago with unity, when the live training just started. and have done my best to watch every one, maybe not understand it, but present all the same.

and all i've learned over that year, i'm delighted and proud to feed that back into the forums and chat sessions etc to help others who are at the same stage I was a year ago.

so thank you Unity Learn troops ..Adam, Mike, WIll, Matt.. and others behind the scene.. who have helped me enjoy the journey i'm on...... keep it up!!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    AshwinMods likes this.
  23. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Thanks for the thanks!

But hey! Thank YOU for paying it forward.

That's one of the best things we can all do, pass on the knowledge and help everyone we can up to our level as we go!

24. Anki1234

Anki1234

Hello.
    I am Practising Live Training's hat-trick Catch Game.
    I am Looking For Particle System Unity Package used In it.
    I Searched it but i Haven't Found it yet.
    Can anynone tell me where is it?

Please help me.

25. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Can you remind me of the timecode and the episode where this is used? I'll go look and see what it is that you were missing and let you know the answer. I can't think of what this is that you're looking for off the top of my head, and with a few hours worth of session to go thru, I'll be hunting for a needle in a haystack.

(^_^)

26. freezingwreck

freezingwreck

I am still having difficulty completing the fragmas. Because of the change in the "Sample Assets" i can not easily figure it out.

I am stuck on part 2 around the 54 minute mark.

I am trying to write a getcomponent line to enable my FirstPersonController script but it wont let me.

i have done a youtube video about it.

27. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

@freezingwreck I've not "done" Merry Fragmas yet, but I'll ping the author and see if he can chip in.

28. Mike-Geig

Mike-Geig

Unity Technologies

29. freezingwreck

freezingwreck

I was aware of that post but i guess i messed it up when i was typing it.

Can someone explain the line

GetComponent<UnitySampleAssets.Characters.FirstPerson.FirstPersonController>().enabled=true;

to me? I dont believe i have anything called UnitySampleAssets. Where does this come from? I have a folder called SampleAssest but is it really going through that folder?

I also tried the code

GetComponent<FirstPersonController>().enabled = true;

but that doesnt work. I dont know why. Why wouldnt that code work but the other code would?

30. Mike-Geig

Mike-Geig

Unity Technologies

The first line is specifying a namespace for the class (which is defined in that classes code). You need to namespace to locate it (that's the way the sample assets were written, it has nothing to do with your workflow). That's why your second line didn't work. If you open the FP Controller from the sample assets, you will see the "namespace" keyword at the top.

31. freezingwreck

freezingwreck

Thank you I can see the name spaces in the firstpersoncontroller script. I have successfully finished the fragmas series.

32. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Congratulations! Good job!

freezingwreck likes this.
  33. TsomoNe

TsomoNe

Please make an "Monument Valley" style game live training tutorial

34. Elvunduil

Elvunduil

Hello, I have a question about the the Survival Shooter Tutorial #4. I've finished the video and have all the parts and my Zombunny is much too slow at 3. You can't tell he is actually moving on the screen. If I wait he does move. I can up the speed to 7 and it works fine. (Speed in the NavMesh component). Any ideas what I might be doing wrong here?

Thanks,
    William

35. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Sadly, I don't think we will be doing that any time soon! It's not trivial, and it's a very unique game! It's hardly a genre! For the greatest effectiveness, we will probably continue to target game genres and sub-systems that can be adapted to the largest variety of situations.

36. JamesB

JamesB

Unity Technologies

@Elvunduil

Hi there, unfortunately it's difficult to diagnose bugs without seeing the project. The first thing you want to do is verify that it is only the NavMeshAgent's speed that makes a difference. Make sure that no other properties on anything at all change between your tests. If it is definitely the speed that is making the difference between it working and not working, check the rest of the properties on your NavMeshAgent, are they exactly what we recommend in the video. If they aren't make sure they are and check again. If you are still having problems it could be the NavMesh itself. When it's baked, make sure all the settings are exactly the same as ours in the video. If they are, it could be that the position of the environment is off. Check the NavMesh by looking at the blue mesh with the Navigation tab open. The mesh should look even and consistent across the environment. Something else that might alter how the agent moves is the rigidbody. Make sure all it's settings are consistent with ours.

I hope this helps.

James

37. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I would second the opinion from James. Try running that section of the tutorial again, and see if it helps. You may have missed a step.

One suggestion I make to people running these tutorials: Save a copy of your project at the end of each session - either by quitting Unity and duplicating the project or by using proper backup or version control techniques. This way, if something goes wrong, it's easy to backup one session and start I've again.

38. Axel3000

Axel3000

hey Adam i cant learn nothing from your tutorial because in sample assets/FirstPersonController Script has changed and now my animations doesnt work can you give me the script i really need

39. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I have not created any learning material using the first person controller. Perhaps this is from merry fragmas session from Mike Geig? If so, read back on this thread for the solution or use the search box at the top of the page.

40. Oscaruzzo

Oscaruzzo

Awww, I thought the lesson on "creating a simple messaging system" was due today, but I see it's now scheduled on March, 23. I was REALLY looking forward for this; I really "feel" my objects are a bit too "tightly bound" each other. Also I don't really feel comfortable on setting references in the editor. I'm hoping this lesson will not be re-scheduled again :)

Also, if anybody has some docs I could read, that would be great. Is this going to be based on these classes?

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Events.UnityEvent.html

That part of the documentation is quite "terse" ;)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  41. OboShape

OboShape

Oscaruzzo likes this.
  42. Merry11

Merry11

Hi,
    I have another Topic for your guys training sessions.
    I would love to see some Fog of War sessions, like for 3D strategy games e.g. Starcraft2 and 2D games. If possible with map revealing functions too.
    I have looked around the web for some solutions but they seem very limited and not possible to adapt for games with many units sights.

Love you guys sessions!

43. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I have to apologize for rescheduling that session, but I had a bit of a log jam of material going into GDC this week... and that session was the one that suffered.

We will present it, however! Don't worry.

Yes, it will be based on Unity Events, and yes... those doc's pages are a bit tight.

Not that I'm encouraging spamming the QA and Docs teams, but if you *DO* find and error or issue with Documentation, you can log a bug report for that page / those pages. The in editor bug reported includes a category of Documentation. If you do submit a bug on a page that is missing information, please describe in detail what it is that is missing and what needs to be done to fix it.

Oscaruzzo likes this.
  44. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Yes! And Unity Events are based on C# Events, but they are handled slightly differently. One advantage of UnityEvents is that they can be included in a component's inspector.

OboShape likes this.
  45. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Noted! I'm not sure how complex this would be, as a live session. And I'm unclear whether it will be portable (eg: will any solution be tied into a specific game architecture?), but I've added it to our list!

(Don't hold your breath, tho' - it's a long llst!)

46. srmols

srmols

Hi,

I just wanted to thank everyone involved in the live training sessions (and any other video tutorials around here). I started in november with zero knowledge of Unity or C# following the 3 beginner projects (Roll-a-ball, Space Shooter & Survival Shooter) and then I decided to complete the live training sessions.

Now I'm at "level" Beginer 32 (how to communicate between scripts and gameobjects) and whenever I have a little spare time in my life, I come here to keep learning. Now I can develop a lot of things I never thought I could be able to understand and I'm even starting to design a first little game I would love to make.

You're doing a great job, guys. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    romi-fauzi, OboShape and TheMax2015 like this.
  47. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad we can help!

srmols, OboShape and TheMax2015 like this.
  48. TheMax2015

TheMax2015

For all those who work on the live training, both front and back of house. You all rock, thank you for all the great material and als the ability to have live sessions, you make the great tool of Unity amazing.

I tried countless tools over the last 12-18 months to get a true cross platform IDE, and it is here. The training material has meant I gone from a absolute beginner to intermediate in a very short space of time.

Keep up the great work and thanks again.

Max

OboShape likes this.
  49. anik233

anik233

Live Training 13th June 2014 - Making an "Angry Birds" style game
    on this tutorial i'm facing a problem.. When i click it doesn't change position with mouse movement it goes to the position of catapult .. can you help me please..

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015
  50. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

This is great to hear! It makes it all worthwhile that you can get up to speed with a tool that can make your dreams a reality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.