Search Unity

Free Copy of Unity 4.x Beginner's Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UntoldEnt., Jan 10, 2014.

1. UntoldEnt.

UntoldEnt.

Hi everyone!

The third edition of my book, Unity 4.x Game Development by Example Beginner's Guide, was recently released!

$unityBook2.png

The publisher is looking for people to review the book, and is offering a free copy in exchange.

The book is written for newbies - new to game development, new to Unity, and new to programming. It has a conversational and sometimes silly tone that is fun and approachable. The new version adds C# addenda wherever there is Javascript/Unity Script code, and there are two new bonus chapters on beginner AI (Artificial Intelligence) programming. Also, the spaceship on the cover is now orange.

If you're interested in working through a free copy and writing a review afterward, drop me a line at ryan [the at symbol] untoldentertainment [the little dot thingy] com.

Thanks!

- Ryan

2. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I might be interested. I did the same a few years ago for some .NET books with Apress. Just one question though... the book is in JavaScript with C# as basically an aside?

3. UntoldEnt.

UntoldEnt.

As you go through the book, the code is presented in UnityScript. At the end of each chapter, there are porting instructions and full source for translating the code to C#. Finished, downloadable project files are also provided with both functional UnityScript and C# scripts.

4. gryff

gryff

I just purchased, over Christmas, the ereader version of your book Ryan from PACKT. I'm guessing the previous edition.

I like the humour you use - but it sometimes comes a little close to reality:

" building games required an enormous stack of punch cards, a computer that filled a whole room, and a burnt sacrificial offering to an ancient god named Fortran."

As people like to say, "Been there done that" ;-)

cheers, gryff :)

5. Yoska

Yoska

Sorry, derailing the topic but you would think by now somebody would had made a good, genuinely advanced Unity book. Is is lack of demand or is it lack of capable authors? (Or perhaps and quite possibly I'm just ignorant)

6. UntoldEnt.

UntoldEnt.

Wow! i'm too young to have lived through the punch card days, but i've heard many a tale from those who were there. What strikes me is their eyes - their cold, dead eyes.

Thanks for buying the book! If you'd like to review it once you're finished, i can probably persuade the publisher to gift you a different eBook from their library as thanks.

- Ryan

7. UntoldEnt.

UntoldEnt.

Yoska - the reasoning is likely commercial. There are far more beginners out there than there are experts, so you're already limiting your audience.

Also, writing a book like this can be quite frustrating because Unity Technologies doesn't work with authors (in my experience). Twice now, i've finished a revised draft of the book the very week that a new version of Unity is released! Many people have asked "does the new version talk about [insert brand new feature here]?" No, it doesn't. Staying on top of the software's newest features is very difficult when you don't have insider access, so it's safer to write a book for a wide audience, based on aspects of Unity that are the least likely to change.

8. gryff

gryff

email sent.

cheers, gryff :)

9. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Email sent as well. I've been a C# developer for quite some time but I'm pretty new to Unity itself so I definitely fit in the "Beginner" category.

10. MarkrosoftGames

MarkrosoftGames

will i get in trouble if i ask for a free book but dont get around to reading/reviewing it?

11. UntoldEnt.

UntoldEnt.

Depends which country you're in, but i think it's a minimum 5 year sentence in most places.

12. Livvy

Livvy

Email sent bud

13. UntoldEnt.

UntoldEnt.

14. Theodikus

Theodikus

Could I get a copy as well, or is it too late now?

15. padomu

padomu

Hi,

I read your other book. Somehow sad that the assets weren't available. Anyway, I didnt read it in depth. I'd really be intersted reading the AI part fo your book if it fits 2d games, e.g. suodku or poker, chess etc. rather than FPS like things.

16. zombie13

zombie13

I would also like to get a copy of the book. Small project based books seem to be the best way to learn a new technology.