Search Unity

Free Art Tutorials to make your Game Look Awesome!

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by ClintSiu, Feb 1, 2015.

1. ClintSiu

ClintSiu

I learn so much from these forums, thank you to everyone here for being so helpful. I want to give back to the community by making a series of art tutorials. What kind of things would you like to learn?
    1. 3D or 2D?
    2. Any specific software like: Maya, Blender, Zbrush, Photoshop, Gimp, etc?
    3. Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced lessons?
    4. Techniques for programmers to make art?
    5. Bringing art into Unity?
    6. Anything that you are struggling with or getting frustrated at?
    7. Or you just don't know where to start?
    I'd like to help as many people as possible, so the topics with the greatest demand will be what I'll focus on first. Thanks everyone, please let me know how I can help make your games look awesome!

2. TheOthers

TheOthers

I am in dire need of assistance when it come's to scripting and modeling. I am making a 3D, perspective view top down survival game and I have the idea all in my head but actually making it a reality is difficult. I have watched the tutorials, I have destroyed the demos, I have recreated the projects but when i have to do it for my own terms It never seems to work out the same.

I hate when videos show a script calling it beginners tutorial and don't tell me what they are doing with details Write this and write that but they never tell you what for and when they do it is very brief description. I want to be able to take what i learned from a video and implement it into my own game they way i want to, change things in codes and actually know what I am changing you see.

I really want to learn how to model characters and Buildings because it is a very important aspect to my game. I don't want to import other peoples work anymore, I want to make my own scripts and characters and make my own unique aspects because my ideas are there and I am ready to share them in the form of games.

Please if you do tutorials, please please try your best to be as detailed in your explanations as possible. I want to learn how to add your own texture to a human, changing what there clothes looks like design wise and color wise.
    Like how to add blood stains to a face and rips to clothing.

All i want some good help from a good teacher.
    Will you be that teacher?

3. ClintSiu

ClintSiu

Hi TheOthers, I know what you mean. When I started learning it was really frustrating trying to figure out how to make other people's tutorials fit into my own games, especially if there were steps missing.

Scripting isn't my main field, I only know just enough to get my games working. The art side is where I have more knowledge, but I could include simple scripts to better demonstrate examples if you would like. What 3D software are you using? I use Maya for my day job, but if everyone here is using Blender, the tutorials can be made with that so it's easier to follow.

I'll put 3D Buildings (Environments), 3D Human Characters, and Custom Texturing to the list of tutorials to make.

I don't know if I'm a good teacher, but I'll try to help as much as I can!

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I'd be interested on a focus on art (3D and 2D) for games. There are plenty of art tutorials out there already, one that focused on making quality art that won't kill your performance would be nice.

5. TheOthers

TheOthers

Thank you for understanding Clint.
    I truly only need to learn the basics of scripting. Moving forward and back, Jumping, mouse look, things like that.
    I only use blender because that's the program that always come up when i search for molding tutorials. I don't know if Maya is free or easy to use but if It is i will surly convert to it lol.

6. ClintSiu

ClintSiu

Hi BoredMormon, yes, balancing art quality while optimizing for performance and draw calls is really important. I'll put some 3D and 2D techniques for that on the list too.