Search Unity

[FREE][ANDROID] Word Traveler - Word Puzzle Game

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by jprocha101, Oct 31, 2015.

1. jprocha101

jprocha101

Hey guys,
    Here is my second major game made with Unity: Word Traveler! This was done completely using Unity UI.

Shout out to @Voxel Busters for providing the purchasing and sharing functionality via Cross Platform Native Plugin, @Izitmee for the great tween engine (DOTween Pro), and to IconFinder for some of the awesome graphics.

Let me know what you guys think. I am open to suggestions and critiques.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nomoreanalog.worldofwords

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    Demigiant and Voxel-Busters like this.
  2. jprocha101

jprocha101

Lots of new features have been added. Free daily hints and clues to help you solve each puzzle.

3. georgeq

georgeq

I played your game:

First of all, although I see you have 500 downloads already, I think you should consider changing the game's name... Imagine the following situation: You meet a friend on the street and after a quick talk you tell him to download your game, he is in a hurry and he has no time to open the play store on his phone and go thorough all the installation process at that moment, so latter when he has a break he decides to look for your game but just remembers the game's name so he goes to the Play Store, types: "Word Travel" and finds a whole lot of apps with similar or related names but your's is not listed... he has no idea why your game isn't listed and eventually quits looking for it. That's a major problem in therms of exposure... try it for your self and see what I mean.

2: The game downloads and installs pretty quick, that's good, but the load time is a little long so I suggest you to use a loading scene, that will give the user the idea something is going on behind scenes and subconsciously perceive it takes less time than actually does.

3: I usually use my tablet with the battery charger plugged in, but since you are not allowing the screen to rotate you force me to unplug the charger in order to play comfortably, a minor annoyance though, but I think is worth to take into account.

4: The game is interesting and well designed, the art and font suits the design just right, however I feel a little annoying that sometimes the ads appear in landscape mode, why not to force all ads in portrait mode? I also feel you're placing too many ads too often... that interferes with the game's engagement.

5: I got to what it seems a dead end, the answer to the puzzle is "HIGH CLOUD" I know, but I don't find a way to tell the game the word "CLOUD", the letters appear in an arrangement where "CLO" are in the same column while "DUC" are in the same row, I tried every possible solution I could though of but the game interprets my inputs as either "CLO" or "UD" never as the full word, I also tried the help, but it didn't told me what I needed to know... I don't know if this is a bug.

6: If I go to settings then to "Contact us" and then I tap on the back button, the game quits instead of taking me back to the menu.

7: I tried the "Rate the game" but nothing happened with I clicked "Rate App".

I have trouble with the sound on my tablet, so I cannot give you any comments regarding sound or music.

jprocha101 likes this.
  4. jprocha101

jprocha101

@georgeq thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I love this kind of feedback and thanks for taking the time to write this up.

1. I see the app listed first when I search for "Word Traveler". Maybe you type in World instead of word? I will check on someone else's device to see if they get your result.

2. I agree on this. We are working on a company logo and that will appear with a progress bar of sorts. Should be done soon.

3. It's not currently setup to be rotated so the screen objects would be all skewed. I was not planning on allowing landscape mode but if its requested then it definitely would be feasible.

4. Recently swtiched to Heyzap for ad mediation and they seem to not be following the orientation I setup for the individual ad companies. I have been looking into this, thanks for pointing it out.

5. That is pointed out in the instructions where it says you may need to reset the puzzle if words are not entered in the correct order. I will add a puzzle image illustrating that to make it more clear.

6. and 7. I cannot replicate this behavior, what type of tablet are you using? Maybe I can replicate the issue with an emulator.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  5. georgeq

georgeq

I don't know why I couldn't see you app listed, I tried both "World Travel" and I saw a lot of applications related with traveling, and when I tried "Word Travel" I saw a lot of Language related apps but yours did not appear...

You don't have to go to scaling and stuff like that in order to allow the screen to rotate, just set "Default Rotation" to "Autorotation" and check "Portrait" and "Portrait Upside Down", and that's all, no need to mess with the code.

I did try to reset the puzzle, but that didn't solve the problem either, I think is best to allow your users to somehow link the letters in any order they want... may be allowing to tap on the letters one by one.

I have an Acer Iconia... but I don't think is a hardware related problem... just click on "Contact us" and then immediately tap the Back button and the app quits... The "Rate app problem" might be due to an internet problem, however I was able to access the Play store directly.