Search Unity

Fraud on asset store

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lmbarns, Jan 24, 2015.

1. lmbarns

lmbarns

Parallaxe likes this.
  2. R_L

R_L

Can't you contact Unity and have them review this? There has to be some way to check the integrity of the assets in question.

3. N1warhead

N1warhead

That's one thing I fear as well by having my assets on the asset store.

I should upload my assets to torrent sites full of viruses that will fry the circuits on their motherboard.
    But just because I should doesn't mean I will.

To be frank it scares the freaking crap out of me having someone steal my hard work and replace it with one line of code difference.

If I ever find my stuff being ripped like that, I will file a lawsuit, whether I win or not, I will do it every single time.
    Or press charges on the people.

4. Ostwind

Ostwind

How do you file a lawsuit or do anything when and if the offender does not live in USA? :)

Most of the time these asset, open source games, app re-brand re-sellers are from Asia region.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Even so, asset store needs to be fast on the takedowns and discourage this.

6. N1warhead

N1warhead

Idk haha.

7. hopeful

hopeful

We can at least prevent fraudulent sales on the Unity asset store. I was suspicious when I first saw this asset come up, and now I've flagged it. I wouldn't be surprised if the submitter has no idea the original asset is also on the store. It seems like maybe some people gather up free scripts and models from the internet and try to publish them on UAS to make a few bucks.

8. lmbarns

lmbarns

^^ There are a couple assets that are sold on a stock site for a "game engine" called FPS maker. They're 3x the price on the Unity asset store for the same files from a random author, I've flagged them more than a year ago and nothing came of it.

9. R_L

R_L

Pretty much this. Thank you hippo, it really needs to be watched closely. I'm not sure about how the servers work but there has to be something

10. hopeful

hopeful

I vastly prefer buying assets that have forum threads linked on the store entry, and look to find that the developer is active in their thread.

Ironically, Michael O is one of those guys who generally doesn't create forum threads and isn't active in them.

11. lmbarns

lmbarns

But his reputation is rock solid. One of the best asset store publishers on there. Unity wouldn't be the same without him.

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thing is, it's things like this that make us avoid using asset store for anything other than code, where we can verify the origin, and talk to the author directly. A hell of a lot of artists don't ever bother striking up a dialogue on the forums so I can't verify.

hopeful, Ryiah and N1warhead like this.
  13. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Also flagged it. I like Manufactura K4, even though we hate to admit it, his work is something to aspire to when you're making environment art. :)

14. Kavorka

Kavorka

Is it safer to sell / buy code on the asset store?

15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Of course. You can verify origin by chatting to the author and downloading updates. It's much harder to verify origin of media.

16. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Completely true, but can't you also ask for proof for 3D models? Like WIP shots if there is any.

I usually have a small million of WIP screenshots for everything because I exchange opinions with my partner, and I for one would gladly make whatever you request, and add it to the asset to prove its me, and my art style.

I guess when it comes to speed, scripting is proved faster by simply chatting about it. xD

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Certainly, but it's difficult when artists don't have a thread to engage with the community. For some reason, programmers love to have a thread.

18. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

That's definitely true. I guess its because code requires more discussion than art. I only make threads for our bigger assets, and smaller ones if they actually have buyers. And after a few rejections I'm less prone to make a thread before the asset is published. :D

19. Addyarb

Addyarb

Hi there,

I find it highly doubtful that anyone knowledgeable in graphic arts would concur that the intellectual property of Manufactura K4 hasn't been infringed upon during the production of this asset. The blatant reproduction of the same models with undeniably similar textures is what causes me to see this as infringement. I don't think anyone asserts that the same 3D models were just re-exported with different textures, but that the assets were plagiarized.

Fostering this sort of copycatting/reproduction on the Unity Asset store will drive all of the AAA-quality authors/creators, such as Manufactura K4, away and to another engine, or possibly another media all together.

20. Ryiah

Ryiah

Where the process will merely be repeated.

N1warhead likes this.
  21. N1warhead

N1warhead

Yeap lol

22. Ostwind

Ostwind

I wonder how much the chance of these cases would go down if the seller would have to provide all basic information to customers before selling anything. Now all I see is a seller nickname, gmail address and link to Korean facebook?

Unity Asset Store EULA says they don't handle the asset support so AFAIK since 1.1.2015 as a EU member state consumer I should already see proper info like the full address and name (business or person) of the asset seller when I'm about to buy something. I see they did the VAT change but have not noticed anything else.

lmbarns and chelnok like this.
  23. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

FWIW: This thread is what passes as an artist's thread. Personally, I preferred it when both code and art were in the same thread (there is now a separate thread for codez), but, if you're an artist or want to see people's WiP, have a look.

It's sort of like a very slow IRC channel.

24. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's a working day. Why isn't the scam clone removed from asset store?

25. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Its probably on a queue with asset reviewing. :p

26. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

27. lmbarns

lmbarns

It's been reported on the asset page by numerous people. You guys follow up with those?

28. carking1996

carking1996

I think it's fine now.

29. randomperson42

randomperson42

Yup it's gone

30. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Nuked with extreme prejudice as it should be. The asset store must be seen as a safe and dependable place to invest in.

ChrisSch and Ony like this.