Search Unity

Frank's Day Out - 3D Adventure Game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by r8-Bit-Ape, Feb 3, 2014.

1. r8-Bit-Ape

r8-Bit-Ape

Frank's Day Out will play a little bit like The Secret of Monkey Island crossed with Zelda. In the game you take on the the role of Frank, a guy that owns his own island, but decides to go on an adventure to find a shirt...

With 3D cel-shaded characters and objects designed by illustrator Billy Mather, it will offer players a chance to explore a world full of unique creatures and environments whilst using crazy transports such as the GO-Kopter™.

frank-kart-progress-6.png

*****************************​

Hi all! I have just started work on a 3D adventure game. Currently I am using the following tools: Unity, Blender and GIMP. The main character is called Frank and you can see the animation cycles for the main actions below!

Individual animation cycles: http://imgur.com/a/LovcN

Not entirely sure what kind of game this will be, but it will have a healthy dose of exploration and Dinosaur ghosts!

Feedback welcomed!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  2. r8-Bit-Ape

r8-Bit-Ape

We now have a brief gameplay video where I talk about the idea behind Frank's Day Out and demonstrate some object animations, collisions and lighting:

Here's a still from the game demonstrating some new game objects and lighting: $5cG9soF.png

The actual gameplay idea has formed itself over the last couple of weeks; exploration! That will be the single concept to this game, to explore. Different environments, across seas, the skies, jungles, underground, overground taking with you always your trusty pop up tent. There won't be any combat in the game, instead it will have character interactions that test the player in different ways. Perhaps morally, with puzzles or with a classic conversation face off!

Any feedback or ideas welcomed as always!

3. r8-Bit-Ape

r8-Bit-Ape

Got a few screenshots of progress. Made a camera that detects whether objects are between camera and player, and if so renders the object transparent:

A screenshot of how this works:

And a screenshot of the placeholder objects in the graphics demo:

There is also a playable graphics demo at 8bitape.net/demos

Any feedback appreciated!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  4. Z43D

Z43D

To be honest, at first I didn't know whether to be freaked out by the character or laugh a little bit :D The art style is definitely a bit different. Keep pushing the ideas/mechanics and see where it takes you. On a side note, It's still refreshing to see projects starting out in Blender. Anyway, keep it up!

5. r8-Bit-Ape

r8-Bit-Ape

Cheers for the encouraging words! Just trying to figure the best way to generate the world using a hex based tile system... Will post updates when I work it out.

6. r8-Bit-Ape

r8-Bit-Ape

A quick update. There is now a day / night cycle in game with a pretty sunset and sunrise:

This highlights that I need to create some models for the sun and moon, which I am really looking forward to!

Also, a quick glimpse at what the starting area of the game will look like:

Any feedback as always appreciated!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  7. r8-Bit-Ape

r8-Bit-Ape

New screens! I've worked on the in game renderer quite a bit, as well as the first island, Title Screen and GUI.

(Is 'Upload a File' new? Haven't noticed it before...)

frank-camera-update-1.png frank-camera-update-2.png frank-camera-update-4.png frank-title-screen-two.png

8. peterdeghaim

peterdeghaim

that character design. i really like the game and the art style is really really really nice. i like it a lot, keep at it!

9. r8-Bit-Ape

r8-Bit-Ape

Thanks! I will make sure I regularly update this thread. Cheers for the positive feedback!

10. r8-Bit-Ape

r8-Bit-Ape

A quick update to drop in some WIP pictures of Frank's GO-Kopter! Let us know what you think. Is it too crazy!? :)

frank-kart-ref.jpg frank-kart-final.png frank-kart-progress-2.png

11. Snoozer

Snoozer

Unique art style ! Like the pure lines.
    Just one thing, why is his eyes red ? it makes him look like a redneck zombie :)

12. r8-Bit-Ape

r8-Bit-Ape

Haha, well he is a kinda riff on Frankenstein... The honest answer is that the illustrator drew him with red eyes!

frank-ref.jpg

If you check out his work at http://www.billymather.co.uk/ you can see the kind of things that will appear in the game...

We are thinking of using a very limited palette, with the sky and sea the only exception to that...

Snoozer likes this.
  13. peterdeghaim

peterdeghaim

this game is really freaking interesting like really interesting. cant wait to see more aha

14. r8-Bit-Ape

r8-Bit-Ape

@pjde_ cheers for the comments! Another little update for you, spent a couple of hours last night working on the GO-Kopter (TM):

frank-kart-progress-3.png

Really starting to take shape now. I think the texture for the cockpit could have some nice dials and other stuff.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  15. gameseizer_00

gameseizer_00

great stuff. might add anti-aliasing if I were you. keep up the great work.

16. r8-Bit-Ape

r8-Bit-Ape

Cheers! It now does have anti-aliasing:

frank-optimisations.png

17. Snoozer

Snoozer

Aah then i se where its coming from. Still i can se this guy with a shotgun and a 6-pack :)
    I like the minimum palette koncept, as a programmer can se big advantages in having low minimalistic style. Keeping the game small in size and high fps :)

r8-Bit-Ape likes this.
  18. rhodnius

rhodnius

Is looking great! i like the effects made with the camera to make things in front of the character rendered transparent!
    Also love the art!

Keep it up!

r8-Bit-Ape likes this.
  19. r8-Bit-Ape

r8-Bit-Ape

Thanks for the kind words! It's been a while since I've updated here, I finished the GO-Kopter™:

frank-kart-progress-6.png frank-kart-progress-7.png frank-kart-progress-8.png

As per previous comments we are looking to restrict the palette of colours quite severely.You can see a mockup below of what things might look like in future. We looked at a lot of different palettes and we liked this one the most. It gives it a kinda Gameboy Colour feel... Feedback welcomed!

frank-palette-daytime-mockup.png