Search Unity

FPS Examples/Demos?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by uthink, Jun 22, 2009.

1. uthink

uthink

I'm looking for examples of FPS games done with Unity. I downloaded the Avert Fate demo and it was practically unplayable. The mouse looks were extreme jumpy. One second I'm lining up a bad guy in my sight, and the next second I'm staring at the ground or sky.

I'm really hoping to leave FPSC behind as I find the company backing the product doesn't have any direction and provides little support for the community.

So I've downloaded the trial of Unity and while I'm playing with it, I would like to see if what I'd like to do is achievable. So are there any other demo's or samples of FPS games available?

2. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

3. uthink

uthink

I saw the thread about the demo. It's always a little disconcerting when a demo doesn't work.

I was actually hoping to hear from a number of folks who were working on, or had finished FPS games with the Unity engine.

I know FPS is possible. But is it practical with this tool set? The easy answer is yes. But I don't see any finished products that support that conclusion.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

If you can make a game with Unity, then you can a FPS game; there's nothing special about FPS that makes it any different. I think people are just more interested in making other things, but here is one example I know of.

--Eric

5. uthink

uthink

Great. Now we're up to one!

Any other takers? For an engine that's been round for 4 years, surely there are other FPS examples?

6. JayCally

JayCally

7. PrvtHudson

PrvtHudson

Welcome to Unity BTW, and don't call me Shirley. :)

8. uthink

uthink

LOL @ PrvtHudson

Boy did I set you up for that one!

Thanks for the info!

"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?"

9. Dreamora

Dreamora

Interestingly there are creative innovative developers on the world with a focus on bringing new things to customers/gamers (-> non FPS devs normally).
    You won't find many FPS created with Unity, as FPS are for hardcore gamers which don't exist anywhere near as much on mac which was till March 2009 required to use Unity at all. Also the lack of a dedicated server makes it not exactly interesting for FPS.
    You will find many examples of "these other" games for Unity.

Additionally with Torque there has been an FPS focused technology able to run and be used on Windows and OSX for 7+ years which has FPS targeted features and networking, which is likely where the FPS centric devs went to (aside from beginners which use FPSC and FPSC X10)

10. Ramen Sama

Ramen Sama

Theres the island demo that comes loaded with the trial of unity. it's FP, but not really a shooter.

If the other demos were almost unplayable, perhaps your system is to blame? drivers/old hardware/etc.

everything with unity plays very smoothly for me including the avert fate demo.

11. uthink

uthink

I've been around long enough to never try to sell the "It's not my system" line. That demo was the only one that I had issue with. It's the non working tutorial that is a bigger issue. I'll monitor the thread and try it out when it's ready.

Through some of the links people have posted, I've gotten a much better idea about possibilities.

12. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Again, go read the thread about that tutorial. The delta required to make it work is fairly small and our demo team crew (notably Jeff) has some comments on it. It's easily made workable and soon to be officially updated. Don't read things as "it's completely broken" and simply ignore it, it's well worth a look. :)