Search Unity

Forge Cloud (Forge Networking)

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Brent_Farris, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Brent_Farris

Brent_Farris

We wanted to make a whole new post for this as it is a new offering by us (the Forge Networking guys).

Forge Cloud Hosting Beta
    NO CCU COSTS, NO CCU LIMITATIONS

We promised and now we are delivering (as usual). We are officially opening up beta requests for Forge Cloud. That's right, it is the same cloud hosting we promised from the beginning . You pay for what you use, nothing more.

Here are some basic Q&A we suspect will be common:

Q: Am I limited to CCU?
    A: NO! You are free to cram as many users as you want onto the server you are paying for

Q: Do I have server size options?
    A: Yes! We will have a variety of server sizes and feature sets available at launch. If you need a super simple server, we've got that, if you need a super beefy server, we've got that too! Need to customize your server, just send us a support ticket and we will get you setup with whatever you need :)

Q: How many servers can I have?
    A: You can have as many servers as you want, spin up 1000 if you need that many!

Q: If I don't pay for CCU, what do I pay for?
    A: You pay for CPU usage and Bandwidth mainly, and any other usage costs that go beyond what comes with the standard machine such as extra storage.

Q: How do I get started?
    A: Send us an email with "Forge Cloud Beta" in the subject line. NOTE: Currently this beta is only open to Forge Developers.

Q: How are you guys able to do all of this?
    A: Simple, we have private support and our developers have worked in Networking, cloud hosting, database, websites and various aspects of server development for years. On top of this, we believe we are doing the right thing in wanting to change the current standard model.

Thank you all so much for your support in making Forge Networking really shine and stand out, we could not have done any of it without supporters like you. Please continue to join in the community, send feedback, feature requests, bug reports, tutorial and documentation requests and most importantly, have fun programming multiplayer games! If there is one thing about networked games it is that it has the special power to bring people together... and there is nothing more powerful than that.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  2. digiross

digiross

I'm getting ready to buy Forge for a new game I'm developing and this news is the missing piece I was hoping for. Can't wait to hear more in the coming months. Hope all goes well.

Brent_Farris and Cranick like this.
  3. MyIsaak

MyIsaak

4. Brent_Farris

Brent_Farris

5. tatoforever

tatoforever

Yes, I need MySQL server support on Forge. Will save me tons of time! ;)

6. elias_t

elias_t

Any news here? How is the beta testing going?

7. Brent_Farris

Brent_Farris

Unfortunately not much news here, there are many internal things going on for this that are required to be completed before we can really continue at the moment :(

8. Paradoks

Paradoks

Can forge be compared to photon cloud in terms of speed ?
    If i understood, its a kind of bolt competitor for now, but letting a central server dispatching the calls will it make it slower ? How do you handle "host" migration ?

Edit: i had two tabs open, i wrote this in the wrong topic, i meant to write for forge not forge cloud.
    BTW, can you export for webGL ?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  9. Brent_Farris

Brent_Farris

@Paradoks :D Hi there, no worries, this is a good place for it since we are officially starting to roll out Forge Cloud closed beta to a select group.

It can and we will produce our own numbers as we begin

Forge works off of a centralized authoritative networking structure as it is out of the box without cloud. With the Forge Cloud move, since we are removing Unity as a bottleneck, it will actually perform even faster than standard

We have invented some new tech that removes the old, and frankly limiting, need for host mitigation. We will release more information on this as soon as we can (out of closed beta)

We have just finished up some repairs to our TCP sockets and will be making a web-sockets version in due time :) So after we have produced our web sockets wrapper, that is a yes.

10. Brent_Farris

Brent_Farris

Announcement

We have already launched our closed beta for Forge Cloud. So far everything is going great. We are getting a ton of great feedback and we are thankful for all that participate. Just a note, if you are an owner of Forge Networking, you can request to be a part of the cloud beta. Just send us an email asking to be a part of the process and we will send you some questions to fill out before getting you started :D

elias_t likes this.
  11. BFGames

BFGames

Sounds awesome

12. Dan2013

Dan2013

@farrisarts
    What is the logic relation between Forge Cloud and Forge Networking?
    I guess they are not strongly logic related except that they are both built by the same company?
    Based on the description, it supports MySQL and ... other networking libraries?
    Its charge model is based on CPU and bandwidth.
    Thus, I guess it is a kind of gaming-orientated SaaS that is built on your own customized IaaS or data centers?

13. Brent_Farris

Brent_Farris

Forge Cloud is a service that runs Forge Networking based servers as close to the metal and as fast as possible without the Unity Engine overhead

The logic is similar but there is a lot of code that is different in Forge Cloud to support the Forge Networking based multiplayer games

Third party databases and sorts will be supported through REST API calls in the future, other networking libraries will not be supported to start

Yes, it is not based on CCU so there is no hard limitation or forced disconnects

Yes and yes :)

14. Dan2013

Dan2013

Understood. Thanks!

15. Neo-Gamefactory

Neo-Gamefactory

some updates?