Search Unity

[for WIP game] Track design comp for SplashDash

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by FuzzyQuills, Sep 15, 2014.

1. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Hi guys.

for those wondering what this thread's purpose is, go here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/wi...arcade-racer-for-android.267972/#post-1772747

I am devising a unique model for my track designs. as of yet, I have one design I have made, and plan to make more. My goal is to produce 10 initial tracks when the game is first released. However, rather than do the usual and design 10 tracks myself, I decided on this model instead: a thread where people who wish to contribute to my game can post track designs! this way, I can the cast a vote on which tracks will make it into the top 10, and those tracks will be published when the game is first released on Google Play.

As for those of you whose tracks don't make it... don't fret! I have a plan where the tracks that don't make it initially will be added, 5 tracks at a time, to future game updates.

If you wish to help, give me a PM, or post your opinions and/or designs here! :) Oh, and a checklist for if you decide to also MODEL your track in 3D modelling software:
    • the track shouldn't exceed above 6k polys. this is a mobile game for low-end devices such as the Pendo-pad, and I wish to make the game as fast as possible.
    • the track can have any feel to it, so long as the track has some sort of sci-fi element.
    • I also ask: if you have the student version of any autodesk modelling package, DON'T USE IT. this is going to be a paid app, and the EULA in the student versions of 3DS max or maya prohibit commerical use, thus making your modelling job useless.
    • Any course design you post, if you decided to model the track too, should be in FBX, OBJ, or COLLADA.
    That is all I ask for. If you wish to write your own soundtrack, that's fine by me too. if you don't, that's fine as well, I can write one for you! :) Also noting: I AM NOT FORCING ANYONE TO DO THIS, SO DO NOT EVEN THINK OF TROLLING THIS THREAD!!! :mad:

For track symbols, check below post. The absolute minimum requirement for a submission is a 2D top-down view of your design. (aka. map view) Happy racing!

-FuzzyQuills

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  2. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Ok, guys, this is the key to marking where you place item capsules, hazards, and rev pads:

RevPanel.png = Rev Panel. gives the car a boost when run over.

ItemCapsule_Icon.png = Item Capsule. gives the player/AI an item, of which can be used.

Hazard.png = Hazard. when marking hazards, use this symbol.

This is the standard "legend" I have designed for track designs. fi you have any extra symbols in the 2D representation of your entry, please include a key describing these extra symbols! :)

3. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

4. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

My first design (rendered in blender scanline renderer) :
    Render1.png
    Render3.png
    Render2.png

5. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

(post deleted)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  6. smitchell

smitchell

Did you really expect it to?

7. nickyoso1

nickyoso1

I don't think it will work.
    You're asking people to create tracks for your game for free, yet it is going to be a commercial game.

8. Stelitz

Stelitz

haha I like the way you think Fuzzyquills.
    Unfortunately I'm a really bad designer but I will give it a try, don't expect too much :D

9. Tony-West

Tony-West

You should have a look at using Mega-shapes for making your tracks. Nice easy way to make tracks. Check this vid out

10. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@HondoWayne: Cool! the design has to be challenging, but not too over the top: it's for android after all! :D Either way, if you do wish to contribute, give it your best shot, but don't feel too bad if it doesn't turn out: My belief is that anyone can design a track, all they need is a good imagination! :)

EDIT: Also just realised, you are the only nice and imaginative guy who decided to contribute, as these other people either think it won't work, or are just being plain trolls!

@nickyoso1: Well, i didn't specifically ASK! I am just saying, goal is 10 tacks at release, and I also go the idea of seeing how other people would design a track. Since I have worked in things on my own for some time now, I decided to pose a public challenge: "If you were to create the most kick-ass map, what would it look like?" :)

And also, I don't have a cent, which is why I can't really pay anyone, so please don't post something that aggressive... :(

@Tony West: hmm... mega shapes? that does look promising! :) However, I do not have $100 to spend right now, and that's my primary problem! :cool:
    And plus, I wanted my game to have other people's imagination in it, not just mine, that is why I posted this thread!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  11. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Posting current track progress on this end:
    Render4_720p_Half.png
    What do you think? Note however: pre-rendered, not done in unity! (Wish such pretty visuals were possible in Unity free though... :D)

12. nickyoso1

nickyoso1

I wasn't trying to be aggresive or anything, I was just trying to point out that people might not want to make tracks for free for you if you are going to make money of this game. I do hope it works out for you though, I've seen the gameplay videos and it has potential to be a fun game.

13. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@nickyoso1: Thank you sir! :)

Hopefully, some imaginative people find an opportunity here... :D

14. Ra1den

Ra1den

I wish i could model my ideas! Is it okay if i just post a picture of the design of the track/map i was talking about? :D

15. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Ra1den: Sure! With the track design, 3D models and/or soundtrack is optional. minimum requirement is 2D drawing of any kind: scan-in pencil drawing, Adobe Fireworks/Photoshop PNG, heck, EVEN MS PAINT WILL DO! :D

With the track design, one requirement is to have a 2D top-down map view drawn as well as any extra artworks, such as concept drawings for track elements, notes on how the track should be designed, etc.

In any of these cases, though, no need to 3D model it unless you have the expertise and wish to do it that way, so you're covered! :) In such a case, I will do modelling, texturing and other stuff out of your reach.

EDIT :OOPS! Thought I was on the WIP thread! :D (Also deleted unnecessary text... ;))

Ra1den likes this.
  16. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

View attachment 113443
    This is the current modelling stage. Yes, still not textured... but I did manage to drop the poly count to 5k!
    Will move to texturing soon. will post once done.

17. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Ok, people... the track is basically finished now. All that's left to do is to colour the foliage and the last two buildings, and it's complete!
    A rendered view of the world now... :D
    Render8_Final_95%.png

18. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

19. 0tacun

0tacun

my entry: two bridges (just noted your map also includes two bridges :D)

~ an half of hour of work, was fun to build something different.

20. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@0tacun: now THAT is interesting! :)
    Since it appears to not be finished yet, I won't emphasis on it too much, but where are the track symbols? o_O

And also, how many polys is it? I also wish to ask: how would one, in blender, export two uv layouts with an fbx, making one of them the uv2 set for lightmaps? o_O

EDIT: just looked at your track again... I thought of an idea to make this the first track in the game, and have my one above the second one, of which could hint at maybe using a rocket or warp tunnel in the next track.