Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Fog Volume 3

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DavidMiranda, Jan 30, 2014.

1. K0m1x

K0m1x

can you please show me how to do that.

2. thanhle

thanhle

please help i got this trouble !

3. thanhle

thanhle

then i got 3 Error when i try to build with Webplayer

4. FreakForFreedom

FreakForFreedom

Is it possible to mask out the corners and borders with a static 3d noise texture so the fog doesn't have these hard lines?
    BTW, awesome asset, produces really beautiful effects! :)

5. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Sorry the late reply. This forum is not sending any alerts to my email. What's your operating system? I did my tests on windows, so it could fail on mac.

6. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

I have to think about that. Thanks for your kind words.

7. FreakForFreedom

FreakForFreedom

Any news on this? :)
    I experimented myself a bit but unfortunately am not yet familiar enough with shaders.

8. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Is this for Unity 5 deferred rendering?
    I see a slot for a forward camera, but am running in (Unity 5) deferred mode.
    The fog looks great when not moving, but once the player moves through the volume,
    it seems to be only a camera effect. I expected from a true volume that the features (ares of density) that look like they are in the distant wouldn't move, as the player moves toward them.

9. elbows

elbows

I think its a question of perception and how fast it moves, rather than the idea that certain areas shouldn't move at all.

For example, perhaps the areas you perceived as being far away, were really a lot closer than you thought, so when the player moves towards those areas, it reaches them more quickly.

Or perhaps there is a problem with the plugin that is miscalculating something.

Any problems will also be compounded if the direction the fog is drifting in via its own animation is head on towards the character as he walks towards the fog - this sort of thing can exagurate perceptions of how quickly a feature should be reached compared to how quickly its actually reached.

Either way its more than a camera effect, and this can be noted in your demo video when you rotate the camera. It happens a bit quick in your video, but detail appears to rotate offscreen as it should.

I'm not sure about Unity 5. I was using both this and the foggy lights plugin quite successfully with Unity 5 in earlier betas of Unity 5, but I've had problems recently. I don't know if something changed in Unity (quite likely) or if my render settings changed, unfortunately its been a while since I used these fog things and I haven't had a chance to narrow down issues.

10. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Yes, it is a matter of perception, maybe some distance setting.

11. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Im seeing a problem as well (Unity5 Pro DX11) The volume sorts incorrectly no matter the setting, and draws through level geometry, its unusable. It also has a hard ege now, before I was able to transition in/out.
    Any ideas? thanks!

12. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Bump, i cannot get this to work correctly in unity5 without being able to see it always, it does not occlude. Please help!
    Basically you can see the large box rendering always.

13. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

I know, I've spent about 20 hours hitting my head against the screen without figuring out what the hell is wrong here :/

You will notice it works correctly when scale is 1,1,1

djweinbaum likes this.
  14. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

I have solved the issue by creating the geometry procedurally. This way its scale is always 1,1,1. Sounds like an scale issue if you ask me. The bad thing about this is that people using it will have to rescale every volume :/ I hate doing this...
    Its already submitted to the asset store. Stay tuned.

15. teacoat

teacoat

Hey there, just a small issue I seem to be having.

In every fog volume I have there is a small flickering of black dots from time to time - but only when I have HDR enabled.

I am running in deferred rendering and linear lighting. Any ideas?

16. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Do you have a bloom camera effect enabled?
    This may happen with negative pixel values.

17. teacoat

teacoat

I do have a bloom effect enabled, any idea of a workaround?

18. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Check if those black pixels appear if bloom is enabled.

19. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Was the fixed version submitted to the store? Looking forward to it!
    Thanks

20. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

1.10 is pending for review

21. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

cool, thanks!

22. teacoat

teacoat

it still happens with bloom off, I seem to have isolated it to be triggered by DOF though

23. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Hello,
    I got the latest version that released today, the fog volume says one small size no matter what scale I set it at in the volume's scale. It looks good in editor, but shrinks to what looks like 1,1,1 in game.
    It also moves with cameras in The oculus Rift. I've fully removed the older version and installed...
    Thanks

24. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Yes. I already said the scale works in a different way now (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/fog-volume.225513/page-4#post-2032841) Im really sorry for that, its not something I had decided. Anyway, the documentation is updated to explain how to scale it now.

25. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

I scaled it using the fog volume's scale numbers, not unity scale. How else do I scale if not in the fog volume itself?
    I started from a new Volume prefab and even that was fine in editor play, but a small box in game.

I use this:
    Fog Volume Scale
    the X,Y,Z values below Stretch...

Also, why does it slide all around the screen in VR?

26. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

I don't mean to be a pain here, can you explain the new scale method? or quote the new manual?
    I don't see anything in the manual about this... The fog Volume's own scale won't work.
    I really use this effect allot, I appreciate the help!
    Thanks!

27. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

The documentation is updated with a screenshot of the new GUI and the scaling parameter is there, "Volume size". There isn't much else to say, it's self explanatory.

Sorry for that bug. Add this line at the end of the OnEnable() method: UpdateBoxMesh();

That will report errors, but see it as a temporal solution until the big changes gets approved by the asset store.

Btw, it doesnt need pro version anymore :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  28. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

cool, that fixed it. thanks

29. teacoat

teacoat

hey man, any idea about the problem i was having before?

also, what is this big update you speak of?

30. MSFX

MSFX

Is the latest version working for Unity 5 building for VR and iOS/Android? Hope to purchase!!

31. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Have you tried to turn off all the post process effects?
    There isnt a big update, just some fixes to make it work on Unity 5

32. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Oculus is tested and working fine. It was working on Android and iOS when I tested some time ago. It should be fine.

33. teacoat

teacoat

yeah i turned them off, and it was the DOF causing black dots everywhere. could you at least tell me where to look to fix this?

34. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Hello,
    The latest version seems to have broken some aspects for me:
    - noise volume wont draw any noise from any source, especially 3Dnoise
    - no inscatter
    - no gradient
    - parameters for the above won't have an effect on the volume.

Thanks for your help

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    Arthur3O likes this.
  35. teacoat

teacoat

your latest update fixed the black dot issue I was having! spotted the clamp in there :)

you have earned 5 stars!

36. Ghosthowl

Ghosthowl

I am also having the issue with getting 3d noise to work.

37. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

I thought my inscattering was broken too, but I found updating broke the reference to the sun in my scene, so you may want to drag and drop your light into the sun field if you haven't tried that.

I'm having an issue as well: My vegetation shader is showing strange transparency where it shouldn't (when using fog volume). It didn't do this in Unity 4. This is a shader forge shader so I don't expect you to debug my particular issue, but perhaps it points to some other underlying problem since it wasn't happening before.

EDIT: It seems to be related to the backface of the double sided setting in Shader Forge

Fog-Issue.jpg Fog-Issue-2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    DrewMedina likes this.
  38. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

I'm also having an issue where fog volume is only generating a mesh in the editor, so if I build my game there is no fog. Removing the mesh component from fog volume seems to force it to regenerate.

39. Selzier

Selzier

Bought this asset tonight but so far it's unusable. I have read all documentation, watched all videos, read all posts on the forum. The fog volume renders through many objects far away:

And when the player is inside of the fog volume, terrain is rendered through other objects:

Here, I can see the entrance to my cave through multiple trees :(

Please let me know what can be done, thanks!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  40. SiBlack

SiBlack

Hi,

Just purchased fog volume. Disappointed to find that in Unity 5.0.1 in scattering, 3d noise and Gradient do not function. Only basic fog works :( Bummer.

41. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Hey guys,
    Sorry for the inconveniences. A new version has been uploaded to the asset store. Stay tunned.

42. Selzier

Selzier

Thanks for the response David! I'm participating in a jam that ends on May 11 http://vrjam.challengepost.com/ And I really would like to use your fog! : D

43. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Hehe, cool. Me too! :)

44. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

how painful, the store shows yesterday's version is available, but its not available to download.
    Anyone else seeing this?

45. Selzier

Selzier

I'm getting the same thing, asset store says: Version 1.10.3 (Apr 16, 2015)Size: 4.8 MB
    And In Unity I can only download: Fog Volume 1.10.1 =/

46. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Yes, quite annoying. I have uploaded a new version; 1.11. Gradients and noise are now supported on d3d9

47. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

the new version was posted but my Unity still doesnt seem to acknowledge a new version in Unity.
    I deleted the old folder and downloaded, imported. I'm not sure if I have the latest version, whats t he best way to check? The noise and inscattering are still broken, but I'm not sure If I have the fix.
    can anyone else confirm if they have access to the new version?

48. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

The store system and package management has changed. I think the package version you will get depends on what version of editor you are using. If I upload Fog Volume 1.10 and it was done with Unity 5.0.0, you will get 1.10 only if you are using Unity 5.0.0. Then, lets say I upload a new version; 1.11 and I did it with Unity 5.0.1. You won't get the newer version unless you update your unity editor t0 5.0.1 too. I have not tested this theory at all, but from what you say I think this is how it works now.
    So if you can, try to update your editor.

Let me know!

49. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

@David_MG Ah that was my issue. I upgraded to 5.0.1 and then I was then able to get 1.11. Thank you for continuing to support Fog Volume.

50. DavidMiranda

DavidMiranda

Nice to hear that. Anyhow, I had another issue, noise and gradients where not working on dx11 '-_- Stress due to work overload is not a good thing :) Sorry guys!
    I have uploaded a new version (1.12) made with Unity 5.0.0 with some programmer-art demos. They look like this:

2015-04-21_17-50-55.jpg 2015-04-21_17-51-59.jpg

You can also find here the online demos:

btw, web player is not working on google chrome, right?