Search Unity

Fluidity - NextGen Fluid Dynamics - [ RELEASED ]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by smb02dunnal, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Arkade

Arkade

So yes, I still have the problem. Like others, it seems to work regardless. Changing BaseVolume.cs line 756 where the texture is created from TextureFormat.RGBAHalf to TextureFormat.RGBAFloat removes the error but, I'd assume, means twice the data is being shunted about so is half as efficient, right? Anything from Unity on this yet?

Moving on...
    I now have a few questions related to my integration attempt. Short versions:
    1. How to tell Fluidity to emit at certain locations within its simulation volume?
    2. How best to allow fire simulation anywhere the camera goes?

As background, in my local arena brawler (kind'a), I aim to make parts of the scene flammable (and later give my characters optional flamethrowers (like the Angry Bots demo)). I've created my own code for fires spreading and registering where a fire is emitting (since I need that for non-Fluidity version for pre-DX11 mode). What I haven't worked out is the best way to get Fluidity to consider other areas as emission sources within the volume.

For (Question 1) I suspect I have 4 options:
    1. Use temporary emitters at all fire locations and scale them (something similar to what I'm already doing for non-Fluidity (particle systems)) -- best option I suspect?
    2. Use texture emission which I update -- limited to fires on a plane
    3. Use volume emission (where I update the Texture3D with my fires -- suspect the most efficient approach?)
    4. custom code / customize code ... perhaps something extra in Simulation.Inject()?

For (Question 2) the only approaches appear to be:
    1. a single static fluid volume that covers the whole level accompanied by a simulation that uses a crazily large grid resolution. I already mostly hung Unity with 512^3!
    2. a simulation that moves with the camera (similar to Angry Bots integration demo).
    3. other?
    Given these, I guess (2) is the only viable one. The tricky part being that both my camera and
    multiple players move. I do already calculate the camera's desired bounding volume so I guess I could center the simulation there. I'm not sure what can be done about the breadth of view changing? (i.e. as the players move apart, the camera sees more.) Ideally, I'd like the volume and simulation to be as optimal as possible. Any thoughts? (I'm guessing one cannot change the Grid Resolution during simulation?) EDIT: Just tried doing it in GUI while running in the Ruins demo -- it switches to only updating the overlap between the numbers. Maybe different if volume also changed but unlikely, I'd assume.

Any and all recommendations, etc on either question (or other issues you might think I'll encounter) will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance! Rupert.

2. BigB

BigB

Is this asset abandoned ?

3. elbows

elbows

No, it was only updated recently.

4. BigB

BigB

This is not working in Unity 5.2.3 , on a DX11 card, and the dev is not replying emails (or here).

5. Reaven99

Reaven99

I am thinking of buying this asset but i have a few questions first.
    Is this asset still active? i read alot of comments here that it may be abandoned or that the asset is not working.
    Is there a torch example? I want to use this in a first person game for a torch so i would like to make sure it looks nice and realistic.

Thank you and i am looking very much forward to an example and the replies.

Regards

6. BigB

BigB

@Reaven99 : I don't think it's active anymore. Dev doens't reply emails or in the forums.
    I was unable to get this working in Unity 5.2.3 , and because of the lack of response, I eventually made a paypal claim and I just got my money back.

7. Reaven99

Reaven99

Thanks for the reply.
    Why don't you try Unity 5.3.4?
    The asset has not been published on 5.2.3 so i gues it also has not been tested with that version.

But thanks for the heads up, i will wait a few days to see what more responses i will get in this forum and make my decision based on that.

Regards

8. BigB

BigB

Because my game was done in 5.2.3, and has bugs and performance problems in Unity versions above that one.
    And in the asset store page, it says that it works in Unity 5.x .

9. borrowedLadder

borrowedLadder

Could anyone please tell me if you still need a Unity Pro subscription for this asset? Or will it work with regular 5.3.4 free version?

10. Arkade

Arkade

No, no pro needed...
    5.x has everything <= 4.x pro had => no pro needed.
    Of course this assumes it works at all 5.3.4. (I would have expected it to be fine bar what @BigB said above. Hopefully it's just that version with problems.)

11. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

@BigB , I have replied to your email. I'm sorry of there has been some confusion, but Fluidity support was never released for that Unity version. If you have a major issuebthats preventing you from using the product with that version of Unity, I can spin up a special release for you.

However, I don't think it's fair to write a 1 star review on the asset store for a bug on a non supported version of Unity, especially when you make no mention of that, and make it seem like the compatible versions of Unity are in fact broken.

Also, dissuading other Unity users from Fluidity on this forum thread (@raven99 ) is equally unfair for the reasons above.

No the asset isn't dead. Long live Fluidity.

12. elbows

elbows

I was going to report that this asset failed to render anything in 5.4.0 but at some point Unity seem to have fixed something and its working again as of 5.4.1 (and maybe an earlier 5.4 patch).

Things are also working well in the 5.5 beta with the exception of requiring a couple of lines about Profiler to be dealt with as per this item in the 5.5 release notes:

• Profiler: Profiler class moved from UnityEngine namespace to UnityEngine.Profiling

13. BEFaughnan

BEFaughnan

Sorry if this was asked before. Can this be used to simulate physically based fluid? Moving through pipes for example. All of the examples are fire. Which is neat, just not what I need.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  14. Mauri

Mauri

Fluidity seems to be all about fire or gases in general. Fluvio would fit you better probably.

15. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Hello,
    I still cant get fluidity to render in the correct space in VR, its all drawn at a plane behind the scene. I can fix it by switiching to Orthographic camera, but then it moves a bit(bends) with the head camera movement. I can't give example scenes, NDA. Otherwise its rendering really well, just not in the right space. Thanks!

16. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

Hey HeadTrip, can you send me a repro project? It doesn't have to be something under NDA, infact, as minimal a repro as possible (IOW a project with as little stuff in it as possible) would be better!! I'd be happy to take a look.

17. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Ok I will try that soon, what VR headset do you have or which SDK?

18. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

I have them all - fire at will.

19. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

sent you a link to it in a conversation/PM. SteamVR/OpenVR version
    Thanks!

20. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Did you get the scene? thanks!

edit: I'll take that as a good strong maybe ;P

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  21. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Any luck with this? I sent you a PM with a barebones project. Thanks!

22. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

I had a look today - it seems to run without issue for me. Are you sure that repro app shows the issue?

Maybe this is a driver/gpu issue. I'm running the latest NVIDIA driver.

23. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

same here... what Unity are you on? I'm on 5.4.1p4 just tried it again, draws the fluids at a fixed flat plane behind the view. What VR did you test with? Vive or Rift? its SteamVR so should work for both.
    Thanks!

24. agentc0re

agentc0re

Does this asset work in Linear color space?

25. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

Yes it works in linear colour space.

And the product is not dead, I've answered these several times now :)

26. knife13

knife13

Hello! I just purchased the plugin from the asset store and tried out the demo scenes with the most recent version of Unity and I can't seem to get them working (see below). I checked to be sure DX11 is enabled. My laptop has a Quadro M5000M card and I'm using Nvidia Driver version 354.86
    Am I missing a setting somewhere?

upload_2016-11-30_16-32-50.png

27. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

That's odd. What version of Unity? Has this always happened, or just started happening?

I'll try get a repro.

28. knife13

knife13

I'm using Unity 5.4.3f1 in a fresh project, not seeing any errors in my console. This has always happened (I am using fluidity for the first time today). I noticed that in the User Guide it mentions that I have to attach a "VolumetricRenderer" component to the camera, but I am not seeing that in the package that was imported from the asset store.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  29. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

The documentation is likely a bit out of date. Can you try updating your graphics driver?

I'm unable to reproduce this - I'm on the same version of Unity as you, also with an Nvidia graphics card.

30. knife13

knife13

Yep, fixed with a driver update. My machine was using the 352.xx ODE drivers previously. Updating to the QNF 372.95 driver fixed it. Looks great now! Appreciate the quick response and thanks again for creating a great plugin!

31. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

Glad to hear everything is working for you!

Thanks!

32. elbows

elbows

Based on some crude mucking around with the code by me, I'd say that the changes required to let Fluidity work with metal graphics API's using Unity 5.6 will be minimal :) Mostly just a case of changing the pragma target from 5.0 to 4.5 in the non-compute shaders, at least to get it working on macos sierra.

33. nbensonleap

nbensonleap

Bought this yesterday, love the product. Unfortunately it wasn't rendering correctly for VR with a single-camera "both eye" rig (Oculus CV1). The "view position" is passed to the rendering shader via script, but the script only ever receives one OnWillRenderObject() callback for the left eye (never the right eye), which wounds up being used as the view position during the rendering pass for both eyes. The result is that the stereo convergence points for the fluids are infinitely far back, even though they play nice with the depth buffer -- looks very strange when you partially occlude your fluid with an object that does correctly render, such as a plain ol' cube.

To fix this, I just changed a couple of functions in Fluidity.cginc to the following:

Code (csharp):
    2.     // must have #include "UnityCG.cginc" somewhere before this
    4.     inline const float GetTextureToZ01( float3 posTS )  {
    5.         return UnityObjectToViewPos(posTS - float3(0.5, 0.5, 0.5)).z; // VR Fix
    6.         //return mul( _TextureToView, float4(posTS, 1) ).z;
    7.     }
    9.     void DecodeInfo( const float3 viewPosTS, float3 viewDirTS, const float depth, out float3 near, out float3 far, out float3 direction, out uint steps ) {
    10.         float3 vrFixViewPosTS = mul(unity_WorldToObject,
    11.             float4(_WorldSpaceCameraPos.xyz, 1)).xyz + float3(0.5, 0.5, 0.5); // VR Fix
    13.         float nearD, farD;
    14.         IntersectBox( vrFixViewPosTS, viewDirTS, nearD, farD );
    16.         near = mad( viewDirTS, nearD, vrFixViewPosTS); // VR Fix
    17.         far  = mad( viewDirTS, farD,  vrFixViewPosTS);  // VR Fix
    19.         const float frontZ01 = GetTextureToZ01( near );
    20.         const float backZ01  = GetTextureToZ01( far  );
    22.         // the rest of the function is unchanged
    23.     }
    The float(0.5, 0.5, 0.5) stuff is to account for the object-space/texture-space origin discrepancy (you pass in a matrix manually shifting the object-space origin to (0.5, 0.5, 0.5) in BaseVolume.cs). The core idea is that Unity stores the correct camera position in the _WorldSpaceCameraPos global whenever it's rendering a camera, so utilizing this instead of a script-passed view position guarantees view position correctness - even when Unity does magic double-eye VR rendering.

Unfortunately, this does introduces a dependency on UnityCG.cginc, but that seems benign to me since it is a Unity asset store asset after all. I was unable to introduce fixes on the scripting side for this; try as I might, I would never get OnWillRenderObject() callbacks for each eye. So this is as far as I know the only way the fix the problem, but I'll leave the rest to your perusal.

elbows likes this.
  34. ivangarciafilho

ivangarciafilho

Hi! i have the same problem while trying to use Fluidity on Unity 5.5 and it's working fine on unity 5.4, no errors on console what should i do ? Nvidia GTX 1070 driver version 376

35. yc960

yc960

Love the effects, but I am a bit concerned with performance, would vulcan make this run faster?

36. BigB

BigB

I never got an email from you mate, and you replied in the asset store 6 months after I emailed you :)
    In the asset store says that it works with Unity 5.x , so I don´t get it why it would not work with my version.
    Anyways, It seems you are answering people now, and I don´t want to hurt you business, so I´m deleting the review from the asset store.
    Good luck.

x4000 likes this.
  37. Aiden83

Aiden83

1) Does Fluidity able to render different colored fluids in same volume so different fluids with different colors can interact with each other?

For example: green gas vs red gas vs fire?

2) In 2013, you mentioned working on liquid and were near to a release of a demo of liquid (with reflection/refraction and foam) in fluidity. Is this still something you are working one?

3) If gravity is enabled in a fluidity volume, will the fluid go downward, collides with itself and be able to hit the floor?

4) Is there a way to make very simple characters (billboards in 3D world) collides with fluid (with sphere or box collider)? Will the fluid be affected by such characters? Could the characters be affected by fluid flow?

Thanks for your answers. I want to purchase this asset asap if it can do those things. Especially 1/3/4

38. Aiden83

Aiden83

Is it dead?

x4000 likes this.
  39. dwaldrum

dwaldrum

Having issues reproducing the flamethrower effect in your bots tutorial.

I've followed everything exactly as you did it, and it did not turn out even close to the video, in fact it was just a big white blob.

I tried everything I could to get it to work and I ended up getting a bit closer, but still nothing close to the video. I bought fluidity specifically for the flamethrower effect and would appreciate any help getting that working. I've sent an email but no response yet.

40. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

FLUIDITY IS DEPRECATED??
    What happened? This plugin is awesome!

asemenov and ftejada like this.
  41. sipon

sipon

Is there some alternative package?

42. theLittleSettler

theLittleSettler

man, that's a shame...

@sipon someone correct me if I'm wrong, but no, I seriously doubt there's anything remotely like it.

atomicjoe likes this.
  43. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

no..... :(
    on the good side its still working fine on unity 2017.1.1f1
    i really hope the creator come back and keep working on fluidity

44. THE2FUN

THE2FUN

How can i reach this package? This package is awesome what is going on.

45. Mauri

Mauri

If "reach" means buy, then you can't. The Asset has been deprecated for some reason (maybe it contained some .js files) and the Dev is silent since December 2016.

46. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

What do you mean? is it a problem to have unityscript code in it?

47. Mauri

Mauri

See this blog post (under "How will it happen?") that explains everything.

atomicjoe likes this.
  48. elbows

elbows

In this case js is not the reason this asset was deprecated (and there is no use of unityscript in this asset). It happened a while ago, and I assumed the author didnt want to sell or support it any longer.

49. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

But he still sells other assets.
    That's strange.
    His website is offline too.

50. am_salperton

am_salperton

Why did this happen? Should piracy in these circumstances be condoned?

Evil like this should be illegal!