Search Unity

Fluidity - NextGen Fluid Dynamics - [ RELEASED ]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by smb02dunnal, Oct 22, 2013.

1. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

** Fluidity Requires Unity Pro DX11 **

Announcing the release of my integrated fluid dynamics system for Unity. If you are interested in next gen style fluids like you are seeing in all the biggest new titles, then this is the tool for you.

Overview
    Fluidity is a tool for creating realistic fluid simulations inside Unity. Using the tool you can populate your world with 100's of fluid systems, all updated and calculated in real time with performance enhancing features such as instancing, culling and active level of detail. Fluidity gives you a whole range of physics parameters, quality controls and visual tweakables in order for you to get the most out of the system while keeping the overall frame cost to a minimum.

Demos
    ::Angry Bots Flamethrower
    ::Ruins Demo
    ::Jet Engine

Feature List
    • Create fluid systems and sort/render them in the scene amongst other rasterized geometry.
    • Complete control of simulations, grid resolution, low quality mode, 2nd order correction, vorticity confinement, pressure iterations, vorticity scale, emission force, reaction speed, gravity and viscosity.
    • Choice of emitter modes, either emit from sphere or from a user defined 2d texture.
    • Fluid instancing, re use the same simulation multiple times with different rendering parameters, using this you can render 100's of simulations at a fraction of the cost.
    • Culling and dynamic level of detail.
    • A generic ray marching framework that you can use to render any 3d texture and for it to be completely integrated in the scene.
    • Collision spheres.
    • Temporary emitters, emit up to 4 different colour gradients in the same volume, each from separate emitters.
    • Global rendering controls and quality settings.
    • Link lights to simulation.
    • Fully documented source code as well as getting started tutorials and advanced explanations of all components.
    • Optional scatter based heat haze, with controls for light diffusion.
    • Ability to fade off fluid as it reaches the edges, with full control over size of fade.
    • Optional unbounded fluid (does not collide with it's own volume).
    • Custom blend modes, with support for; alpha blending, additive blending and selective mode.
    • Turbulence wind zones, provide some localised directional wind to your simulations.
    • Translating fixed grids, move you simulations through the world, and have the simulation react accordingly.
    • Heat receivers, allows for GPU to CPU feedback, with option to send events when temperature reaches a specified level.
    • Public API.
    Can be used with the Oculus Rift!!!

Video:

FlamingBots Tutorial:

Screenshots:

$Fluidity.jpg

$Ruins 3.png

$Fluidity2.jpg

$EditorGrab.png

Asset Store
    http://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/12215

** Fluidity Requires Unity Pro DX11 **

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    Gozdek likes this.
  2. lazygunn

lazygunn

I'll speak as advocate for this, it's seriously impressive spectacle to be seen outside of prerendered simulations and i can see it having uses everywhere just for the hell of it. It does lack some features that i've discussed with the author that hinder me from feeling it is fully ready for my needs (My needs currently being time critical i hope he gets on with it haha) but should those features be added, then I cannot see this as not being one of the most impressive things ive seen running inside my Unity editor. Thing is this can be anything, it can be a waterfall, it can be a waterfall of sludge, i imagine when the collision is in shape the author should reimagine the walking through sludge from Shrek with it (Hoping it gets to that kind of stage), smoke, flame, belching fumes, you've seen it up in tech demos for next gen (Like in the new Unreal demonstrations in fact), and now you can have it.

In it's current state, its absolutely worth the dosh, you should get stuck in, you'll find a use, and with more people buying it, more incentive to develop it, and looking at the guy's to-do list means yeah, this is pretty nifty! Oculus support intended too! Crazy

Thumbs up and will be getting a glowing asset store review when i've used it in a practical sense in which it's fair to help sell it to people on an actual store through practical implementation. First impressions very very good though. I'm liking all this compute stuff, more!

3. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

I didn't see any heat distortion effect. are you planning on adding this later? That would make it next gen or current AAA

Nice work though

edit:

heat distortion similar to this

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  4. lazygunn

lazygunn

It didn't really occur to me that a heat distortion effect would be within the scope of a fluids simulation but i'm ignorant too, maybe this is expected or trivial

5. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

It's possible but not cheap if you want to do it properly.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  6. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

is this something you would consider adding?

Do you think your system will be good for jet propulsion effect? do you think you could make a demo of this?

7. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

Yeah sure, if there's enough demand I'll add it for the next update.

8. lazygunn

lazygunn

When do you propose your general timeframe will be for updates? I'm not the type for email nags but some unbound or at least falloff (or both) behaviour for a volume would be great as i'm meant to be making a very very big fire for an installation in a coulple of weeks (wood fire with more questionable things leading to more fumes and belching smoke) and your thing was just bam, perfect, by all means a heat haze if costly can be done, just put the label in red letters, my GPU is strong (I think). Its a testament to a good asset that my imagination goes crazy aha, i'm thinking of how to use it for spot fluid effects but i am intrigued by what other 'typical' shader properties it can recreate - reflections, refractions and so on. A cloth shader haha. Any impressing the guys i'm sticking this into would def mean some exposure, im told. You can let me down harshly if you wish, im sure some things just cant be done, but it's nice to thing about.

9. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Where is the fluid in your asset? looks like smoke or fire to me. Fluid flows DOWN, not up

10. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

I don't think that's right sorry.

11. lazygunn

lazygunn

Just tell them you're giving them added value by giving them fluids that go up and they can go to bed less confused

12. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

"I don't think that's right sorry. " lololollol what kind of answer is that???

smb02dunnal are you serious? don't you think you should elaborate a bit more than that? you're selling a product, you owe a better explanation than that.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  13. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Fluids can be either a liquid or gas. Smoke/flames follow the same principles of fluid dynamics as water/liquids.

AlpayKasal likes this.
  14. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Ok, then. For a $100 i guess you don't want my business. I just thought you call it fluid, but don't show ANY actual fluids in your video. Thanks anyways.

/moving on

15. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Since you seem to care... :) Does your product support actual fluid dynamics? Say I have a small body of water, and I lower the terrain under it, will the fluid move down?

16. lazygunn

lazygunn

I'll shortly make a complaint that you a trolling a thread, VicToMeyeZR, as you are either trying to bother those in the thread who know better than you for who knows what reason, unless you desist and go back to learning simpler things than energy states. Let someone sell a good release in confidence without childish non-contributions please

AlpayKasal likes this.
  17. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

We support both liquids and gasses - you can find the relevant information on that in my thread on these forums (not linking here out of courtesy).

As for Fluidity, I can definitely vouch for it supporting all kinds of fluid dynamics - the algorithms behind the fluid simulation are sound, and it's some pretty impressive stuff! Glad to see this released, been following it since the DX11 contest.

AlpayKasal likes this.
  18. lazygunn

lazygunn

I'll join in the good times as I own both Thinksquirrels Fluvio and Fluidity also, both very interesting approaches to similar problems, both having specfic use cases

19. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Troll? really. I asked where his fluids were? I watched his videos, and was interested in the product... His answer gave me all I needed to know. Hey if thats trolling, then fine. I'm a troll!!!! (one that has spent $5-7K in the asset store btw)..

20. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

Whoah, slow down guys, I was in bed sleeping :)

Well, VicToMeyeZR, we use fluid dynamics in maths to describe and predict the movement of liquid/gas bodies. I can see where you are coming from though, the term fluid is more often than not used to describe a liquid substance, but that's not always the case, and it's wrong to say that fluid only flows down.

In fact, the set of equations I have used can be applied to simulations of both liquid and gas states (as they both come under the umbrella of fluid mechanics). So physically talking, the simulation already handles liquid fluids (such as water) as well as gas fluids, it's only the rendering solution I've used that's holding it back.

If you'd like, for the next update I can include a 'liquid fluid' option which could be toggled on for each of the volumes, I already have much of the code (albeit in separate personal projects) to do this style of rendering, and it could even reduce a step or two in the renderer...

21. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

Another thing...

The fluid in my demos flow upwards for several reasons. Partly because the motion of fluids is described using pressure, viscosity and temperature. Injected fluid (coming from the emitter) will be hot, and hot air rises giving it enough force to escape gravity and the viscosity is low enough for the other fluid particles to not pull it back down (unlike water).

But mostly they flow upwards because I have set them to flow up in the editor. I could just as easy of made them flow downwards...

22. zelmund

zelmund

If i create a smoke, it will cast/recive shadows and lights?

23. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

No, but that's something I'm looking to add in the next update for sure :)

24. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

@lazygunn ... he's not trolling so don't panic, take a chill pill.

@smb02dunnal ... lol that's a better explanation :) you probably fell asleep just as you was typing "I don't think that's right sorry zzzZZZZ" heheh

Anyway I'll probably purchase this soon. The fire interaction is pretty awesome.

Do you think as it stands I could make a realistic jet propulsion effect with this just by tweaking a few values? or do I have to be a maths genius like yourself?

25. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

I'm hardly a maths genius, just know enough to get by as a measly graphics programmer :(

Yeah sorry about that, it was quite late for me.

A realistic jet propulsion effect sounds sweet! I'll make a demo tonight, it's as easy as PI ;)

26. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

"I'm hardly a maths genius, just know enough to get by as a measly graphics programmer "

It's too late, you're a genius and there's no turning back now :)

"A realistic jet propulsion effect sounds sweet! I'll make a demo tonight, it's as easy as PI "

That's the spirit Alex :) I look forward to seeing the demo.

27. zelmund

zelmund

It will be great update. will wait for this.

28. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Thank you for your reply. I completely understand the physics of what your doing, my point was, I don't understand why you call it fluid.. Fluid is a liquid state.... for the untrained anyways. I want fluid that responds to gravity and physics. If this product doesn't do that, then thanks for the update, I will move on. If it does, then show me please

29. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

Okay I will post a water demo soon, in the mean time I'm putting the argument over the definition of fluid to rest...
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fluid

So you see, fluid is only a liquid state to those untrained in English.

30. lazygunn

lazygunn

Haha, apologies I was a bit drunk last night. But I did do science at school so when he was talking about seeing fluids in the video I was thinking 'there are fluids in the video' so I thought the integrity of the software was being blindly challenged. I bought the asset confident that the creator knew what fluids were based on his demos. Just to enforce the point though, it can go down if you like, in fact it can go up and then come down, just through messing with a few settings. With updates it could be a very versatile thing

31. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

On my list
    Great job

32. imtrobin

imtrobin

demo is pink for me

33. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

Do you have directx 11 GPU?

34. ForceX

ForceX

I was wondering how long it was going to take someone to ask this. I think most people dont relize the study of a particle in motion / interaction is more commonly refered to as a fluid dynamic.

Glad to see this on the asset store i was verry impressed with your DX11 entry. For sure on my list when i can think of a good use for it :)

35. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Yeah cause not everyone is an IQ 170 Genius in Physics. Hey glad y'all are, and have been since birth.! /Im out.

36. ForceX

ForceX

@VicToMeyeZR : Sorry if it seemed like i was poking fun at you i really was not. When i first clicked on this forum i thought it was an update to Fluvio. Which is a liquid simulation software. Kinda similar names, especially if you haven't checked in on it in a while. Then I was pleasantly surprised to find that smb02dunnal had posted his awesome DX11 contest entry to the asset store. WOOT!! This is a big gain for the Unity community. Then after the excitement my first reaction was, "Based on it's name this has the potential to generate lots of questions about it's use as a liquid simulation, as there are no posted demos showcasing it as a liquid sim." Now it seams it has some use as smb02dunnal is possibly working on a water sim thanks to your question; of which i'm sure will help everyone see the full potential of this amazing product.

37. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

The point is I understand "FLUID". What i was saying, is when 99% of people see fluid they think liquid, which wasn't even mentioned.
    So it is truly fluid or gaseous? If there isn't any liquid, then is it really a fluid solution?
    Want to talk down to me, like I am an idiot, because I asked the question. I wasn't directing only at you... Comments like anyone who understand English or has any high school science knows this. DUH!.. Doesn't help. Well lets see, high school was, what, 20 years ago, and who remembers the definition of everything you learned their? I surely don't but obviously everyone here does, and is perfect genius's.
    When I did look it up(and remembered that was correct), I did realize that fluid is more than liquid, so that was my mistake. This does not change the fact that a majority of people when a mention of fluid happens, they automatically think liquid. The demo is awesome, no question about it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  38. ForceX

ForceX

I don't believe that OP was talking down to you. There are many many forum readers here on Unity that do not understand English as their native language and he is simply trying to assist in the understanding of why he has named the asset as such. It may not have been worded as carefully as he intended, but i do not believe any ill intent was behind it. I do agree that the casual person browsing through the forums and seeing a post with fluid in the title will automatically assume it has something to do with liquid. Heck, i did, and even thought it was another product entirely. Which is why having the demos on the top post are so important for a product like this, so people can see exactly what it provides and put context to title.

I think the real question is, if he creates a liquid simulation demo, will it support definable buoyancy? If so this will be one of the most incredible products on the asset store IMO.

39. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

100% agree, and I understand what you are saying.

40. lazygunn

lazygunn

For my part i'm sorry if I came across a little challenging i just felt the way you approached the issue seemed inappropriate, but i'm glad confusions have cleared up now.

For my part, i'll hopefully be able to demo something with this quite soon as I bought it for that particular application and hopefully it will look quite dandy. Things just keep popping up when I read making more ideas approachable, including dumping all particle based fire effects for fluidity instances (there could be quite a lot of them) and even making some interesting environment features if i get that far in time - that would rely both on having time to put Rift support in with the detail needed, figuring out how to fix reflections for 3 diff camera views (im sure theres an answer somewhwere) and this working with the Rift, which should not be a priority! But it's exciting stuff if that gets going

41. ForceX

ForceX

Proof positive that mature conversations do indeed exist on the internet. Hazzah!

@lazygunn : Very curious to see how you are using Fluidity in your project, keep us posted :)

42. imtrobin

imtrobin

Ok, didn't see that.

43. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

Think I may of just come up with a great way to do the heat haze effect at little cost :)

44. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

Have you already purchased the asset?

45. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

What do you guys mean by definable buouyancy exactly, I'm worried we might be thinking about separate things.

46. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Wow that was quick :)

Looking forward to seeing it in a demo.

47. imtrobin

imtrobin

No, your demo. I was running on an old winxp machine,

48. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

Ah, that's good then. Gamers still use XP? haha :p

49. ForceX

ForceX

That very well may be the case as it was more wishful thinking in the event of a liquid extension :)

In your emitters collisions demo, physical objects are able impose their interaction onto the render volume of smoke / fire. Is it possible for the inverse? Can the render volume have an effect on a physical object; such as supporting buoyancy? Not that this is something i am expecting at all, I do intend on purchasing this asset based on what it does offer, incredible fluid simulations.

50. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

I was afraid that's what you meant :)

The answer is yes and no... It depends on your hardware, GPU->CPU feedback isn't available on current gen PC's without significant overhead.

Now what certainly is possible, is a GPU rigid body simulation with an additional buoyancy simulation. I have an implementation of GPU rigid bodies (for it's for my Fracture asset) and I can tell you, that while it may be cheaper than the fluid to run, mixing the both of them with the added buoyancy simulation isn't going to be cheap. So bottom line, taking this approach is really only going to work for small contained scenes, and specialized demos. If you're into that sort of thing then fine, maybe I'll do it next time, but the objects will be completely controlled by the GPU, meaning no CPU side collisions or any unity callback support.

So... This leaves us with a simple solution, spherical buoyancy. Entirely possible, but again it will be all on the GPU so the drawbacks about GPU->CPU communication still apply.

This is just how graphics cards work I'm afraid.