Search Unity

Fixing Roll-a-ball

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Kiwasi, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Roll-a-ball is awesome. Its the first game many people make with Unity. It brings those first precious moments of realisation when you realise that "I can make a game, this is real, I can do this". The tutorial is well designed, and for many of us was our first experience working with Unity.

But Roll-a-ball is broken. Sadly Roll-a-ball does not work with the new UI tools introduced in 4.6. The question comes up multiple times a day on answers and in the forums. "Where do I find the GUIText in 4.6?". After answering this for the umpteenth time I decided to do something about it. The result is below. A new version of the Roll-a-ball video 6 on displaying text, fully compatible with Unity 4.6. Maybe Unity can grab this and add it to the official play list, at least until the regular tutorial guy gets onto the job? I've tried to keep it as faithful to the original as possible.

http://youtu.be/IViD5G2ucNs

(I'm also acutely aware that I may have just crossed a line when it comes to IP. If so I apologise and am prepared to remove the video. My intention was not to steal the material, rather to improve the new user experience by updating the material.)

Edit: These is also a playlist with the tutorial in context of the original videos.

OboShape likes this.
  2. Aaron-Dennis

Aaron-Dennis

Thanks! I'm re-learning Unity, and just noticed this issue. This will help a lot.