Search Unity

Fix Your Parents' Mindset - Why Games Are Important?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aswilam, Nov 21, 2015.

1. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

Wait until you see the games that I am developing.

2. PenguinEmporium

PenguinEmporium

Speaking of America's Army and games being useless
    NOT OFFICIAL STATEMENT - PARAPHRASING:
    The America's Army game is a free game meant to reduce tensions between the army and civilians and give a more accurate feel of the military. Obviously Call-Of-Duty is a bit to over the top. They also deal with simulations for training, extremely educational you could say. :p

If you want to know more about the simulation work:
    http://www.army.mil/mobile/article/?p=125446

3. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

An interesting challenge for the world of game development would be to create a game with the purpose of increasing student's grades.

Take X amount of students as test subjects (the more the better) and distribute the game to half of them. The idea is not to force them to play it, you might as well force them to study, they can play the game at their own will only because it's genuinely fun, yet present concepts being taught in the school program.

If the half who had the game end up with a higher than average score at the end of the year, it means the game works. If it doesn't, the game must be revised. And so on.

There could even be many iterations, and parallel studies. Perhaps if two or more games work, then the study could find out which one works best.

In no time what you get a community of super intelligent kids with an IQ of 150+ who will conquer the world.

4. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

There are games (sequential interactive video tests) that chimps in labs must solve to get their food as reward.
    Such games are close to impossible for any human to solve them even at 1/10 the speed that those animals can; anyway that doesn't mean the chimps are smarter than us.

RiotGames made a study for 2 years to identify if the higher ranked players had anything to do with pure skill and/or superior intelect. They got to the conclusion: no.

Ppl want to believe that these games can make you smarter thus games must be significant in some way; hoping it isn't a total massive waste of time. Even if you make money playing games on twitchTv, you don't need to justify why you like games or any other culture. Useful or not, it's your culture. That's all you need to play games if you like them, don't to validate the activity with dumb subjective justifications.

You like it? Do it. Just don't quit life to do only that one thing forever, this is true for any activity, professional or not.

5. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

An afternoon (about 5 hours worth) of shadow of mordor just completely unwound my brain after a 5 week sprint at work (14 hour days + saturdays). I think they are an effective way to relax :p

What about future generations of people who have concluded that a machine that fishes does not mean all men starve?

GarBenjamin likes this.
  6. neginfinity

neginfinity

Last time I tried to play America's Army, it was quite obviously a propaganda tool. That was years ago, I think it still used Unreal 2 engine at that point. I doubt the idea changed.

Yep, take a break, relax, switch to something else, and then get back to dealing with life problems.

That is silly. It sounds a lot like trying to prove that "books are useless" and "movies are useless".

They're significant, and there's no real reason to prove that.

I recommend to stop playing junk, though.

7. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Last time I tried to play, I finished all of the training and finally got to try out the pvp! And the game bugged out and all of the character models became the same... So me and 2 other people entered a room and couldn't tell who was friendly, so we stared at one another for a few seconds before I randomly shot the nearest one in the head. The score indicator popups showed that I had shot and killed an ally, so I lost 10 points. Killing my ally let the enemy know that I was his enemy. He shot and killed me. I lost another 5 points. The round ended, and my total cumulative score for the entirety of the game was negative 15. And for killing an ally the game locked me in a cell and I couldn't play again for who cares how long, I uninstalled that POS faster than diablo3.

It's thanksgiving, woo! I have today and tomorrow off. And the weekend. After the family dealings are done, I think I'm going to give albion online a try.

What killed books and movies for me was the inclusion of sex where it was completely unnecessary. Freddy vs Jason sprinkled them about in random places where cutting them out would have made no [negative] impact on the movie. Even in the books we had to read in early highscool, like the chocolate war, and there's that scene about 1 kid walking in on another kid jerking off in the bathroom. What does that add to the story? I think red badge of courage was the only book I was required to read in school that didn't use sex scenes as garnish for a story that didn't need any help.

As a young teen it bothered me to think that our species was so pathetic that the sex sells marketing strategy had made its way into the required highscool reading list :p Some teachers even stated that as the reason for it - so we'd actually be interested in the story, because we'd occasionally stumble upon things that distract from it.

8. Teila

Teila

What killed a lot of games for me was the inclusion of violence and blood where it was completely unnecessary. ;)

You are just reading the wrong books. Read the reviews before you buy/borrow. If it says "romance" don't read it. Plus, it is very easy to skip the sex scenes if those bother you.

I read a lot and haven't managed to stumble across to many steamy scenes in a long time. ;)

Besides...our Puritan American values regarding sex is not common in much of the western world. Same is true of our obsession with violence.

neginfinity likes this.
  9. HemiMG

HemiMG

Sex is a thing that everyone of a certain age does, so adding it can only be as unnecessary as adding someone go grocery shopping or playing a board game. I think I may be one of the few people who enjoys both sex and violence in my entertainment. Though not at the same time. That S&M stuff is weird. :)

neginfinity and Teila like this.
  10. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Well in fallout 4 you can actually play with maxed out charisma and your only weapon is diplomacy. It's the user's fault if there's any violence.

I was forced* to read those books, they were on the required reading for school.

Well when "what did character A catch character B doing in the bathroom?" is a test question, you can't really skip out on that. I also almost wasn't given participation points in a reading class because I called a character from "house on mango street" an 'ally girl' instead of 'whore'. When I corrected myself and said whore, that's when the teacher gave me credit.

Not so much steamy as sparkly / smoldering. There isn't any real thought into it beyond "these two characters have spent some time together. That's grounds to f*, right?"

It's not sex itself, it's putting it where it doesn't belong that bothers me... much like that sort of thing would bother other people sexually :rolleyes::oops::eek:

*forced - I made quite a scene about half way through highschool regarding these books and received special permission from the english chair at school to be exempt from those exams and read books of my choosing from that point onward :) It wasn't worth fighting me, I'm too funny and play too far inside the rules for them to do anything that wouldn't get them in big legal trouble.

--edit

If they challenged me they got a reference to the writing on the carousel from holden's childhood. Not that I actually said what was written on it, I just referred to it. It's part of the required reading so if you have a problem with that, well, you know ;)

11. Arowx

Arowx

You know what will change the minds of your parent's, when you can earn more than a paper round or burger flipper from earnings from your game development addiction.

dogzerx2 and Kiwasi like this.
  12. Teila

Teila

Or when you get that high school diploma or/and head off to college. I would prefer my kids get an education than earn money making games. Once they have finished at least high school, then it will change my mind. At the moment, it is a hobby rather than a career.

Kiwasi likes this.
  13. Arowx

Arowx

So you would like your kids to build up lots of debt first, before earning money?

Tomnnn likes this.
  14. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

haha I like the unfair spin on that. I put my family through hell financially during college so there'd be less to pay off afterwards, and I have 26,000 to go!

15. Teila

Teila

It is possible to go to college without building debt. ;) Besides, their dad and I build up the debt, not them.

16. PenguinEmporium

PenguinEmporium

To those who had a bad experience with America's Army. Best stories ever. But yeah..... America's Army 3 is considered a failure to the industry and the army.

They have remade the system with Unreal 3 and they just released a new map. It's pretty cool.
    https://www.americasarmy.com/aapg

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

So basically you're saying that the skills from college do not apply to game development?

18. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

I don't care what my parents think about anything, at this point.

Tomnnn likes this.
  19. Teila

Teila

I don't think we were talking about you. LOL

Master-Frog likes this.
  20. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Heyyyyy guys. Speaking of thoughts, anyone got thoughts on the myo armband? Since I've been burned by sixense with yet another delay, I was looking for something else to rub in their faces. I've seen a few reviews by nobodies to make sure it actually has functionality. They have unity plugins & demos. Anyone heard of this thing?

Sorry for the thread hijack. You know how it is when you know stuff things are.

21. neginfinity

neginfinity

Wouldn't call it a "bad experience", it is just that I never really could play it, because the ping was 200. Completed the training course (back then), didn't quite like "propaganda" feel about it, that's it.

22. tedthebug

tedthebug

My son loves playing games so I got him to watch the video. He came back & said the excuses were pretty bad & that I wouldn't believe them. He's 10.

PenguinEmporium and Kiwasi like this.