Search Unity

First 2D Game, need advice for Camera and Visual Effects!

Discussion in '2D' started by Korigoth, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Korigoth

Korigoth

Hi,

I'm new on Unity and i'm working with 3 other Developpers and 1 Artist.
    We are switching from Java (From Scratch Game) to Unity!

In this post Models refer to the choice of 2D or 3D when u are making a new project.

I wanted to know if it was better to make a 2D game with the new 2D models or stick to the 3D models and put the camera on the top of the scene (Character Movement : x, z Camera: y) The game we want to work on is a Rogue-Like (ex: Binding of Isaac (Camera almost on the top of the player)).

Is it the same difficulty to manage particule in the new 2D models or is it easier in 3D?

I'm asking because i wanna start the work in a good way if their is an option better than the other!

if u can tell me some advice, i will be glad to hear them!
    and if i forgot some importants things, tell me !! :)

ps. sorry for my english its not my primary languague!

2. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

My tips:
    • -Use 2D. 2D is simpler for 2D stuff. You can even use 2D physics for some cool interactions. Just make sure to stick with x and y and disable gravity (for that kinda game). Play with physics and rigidbodies settings.
    • -Use 2D collider for collision and detection. It's no use rolling your own solution since the 2D physics is internal stuff that runs 'natively' and is highly optimized (quadtree and the hell out).
    • -Start Small.
    • -Stay Focused.
    Regards

3. Korigoth

Korigoth

thx a lot for ur reply

It will help us to start the good way