Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Finite Earth

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Serinx, Jan 22, 2015.

?

Which movement control do you prefer?

Poll closed Aug 2, 2015.
  1. WASD

82.8%
  2. Point and Click

17.2%
  1. Serinx

Serinx

Latest Video:

Finite Earth is inspired by the Warlock Warcraft3 map. If you've never played it or heard of it, each player controls one warlock and uses a variety of skills to take down their opponents while keeping out of the lava around the ever-shrinking arena. When only 1 player remains, the round ends and all players can upgrade their spells and items for the next round.

One major difference is that Warlock is point and click to move whereas my game will be controlled with WASD for movement but still using the mouse to aim your spells.

I appreciate all suggestion and feedback, positive and negative :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  2. Schneider21

Schneider21

I totally understand your problems with scope and idea creep. Very smart to focus on a clone project like this to get that experience and stay motivated to finish.

One thing I would recommend is to try and add at least one cool twist to also push yourself and make the project yours. What if the arena shrank at a faster rate if the players were avoiding combat with each other? Something like that, anyway.

Another suggestion: Might not be an issue since the arena is actually pretty small, and the AI seems to shoot fairly frequently, but a more dynamic camera that keeps all players on screen would be a nice touch. Would also open you up to same-screen multiplayer if you decided to add that at some point.

Keep up the good work!

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  3. Mikenseer

Mikenseer

That video is quite impressive. I'm really excited to see where this goes. I myself have a Starcraft/WC3 custom map love and a few ideas for full games myself, so seeing something like this is very exciting. Keeping an eye on this one for sure.

Any reason you went with WASD instead of Point and Click?

4. Serinx

Serinx

Thanks for the feedback :)

I was thinking of adding my own twists, definitely my own spells, but I'd like to keep the gametype quite similar so I know how to design around it. The dynamic shrinking speed is a good idea and I might try it out and see how it goes, should be very easy to implement :)

I will definitely need to add better camera control, right now it is just fixed at one distance. Being able to change the zoom and possibly rotation will add a lot.

Mainly because it's my preferred setup, this could possibly change if I get a bunch of negative feedback about it. What is your preference?

Edit: I have started a poll on this thread for peoples preferences

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  5. Mikenseer

Mikenseer

Honestly I think it's pure nostalgia.

But, to add some meat to my argument...
    I would argue that with the growing DotA type MOBA's there is a growth in players who enjoy a point and click experience, so a game like 'Warlock' would be a great practice ground for these players. Also point and click is more rooted in a PC feel, where WASD controls touch on controller/console feel. Perhaps this could be fun with a controller?

Making it point and click might make it too similar to DotA type MOBA's and therefore people would be quicker to just play a MOBA, OR its similarity with MOBA's would draw players who like the gameplay but dislike the community. Hurray MOBA communities...

Probably thinking too deep into this because as I said, nostalgia from my blizzard RTS roots. Making maps on Starcraft was my jam!

6. Serinx

Serinx

Thanks a lot, you make some good points! I'll see how the poll goes and may even end up letting the player pick what type of movement they prefer. And yes, WASD will also allow for gamepad control :)

Maybe I should move this discussion to the Game Design forum.. or maybe there already is one!

Edit: started a thread for the input discussion

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  7. Serinx

Serinx

Quick mini update, added some funky purple homing missiles :)

8. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

@Serinx dude your scope is still very ambitious - but I think your well on your way to having something - potentially - released and you can be proud of. Good job so far!
    The multiplayer does sound daunting but I believe it's one of the core elements for your concept.

I think the shrinking arena concept is also a core idea. If I were in your shoes I'd run with that idea and polish the crap out of it.
    And I'd drop the warcraft3 hook. You don't need it. Make it your own - add in some of your own characters and it's no longer a "mod" or derived from someone elses initial idea.

Though this starts flowing into the feature creep realm I think if you get the multiplayer working you have your core - what's left is a lot of polishing.

One thing I was expecting was the player to dodge. May consider that.

9. Serinx

Serinx

Thanks for the feedback :)

Initially that was just to give people an idea of what the game is about, the shrinking arena idea also comes from Warlock. I also need to think of a name. Might change the title to "Finite Earth" as a working title.

Yes I definitely need to add multiplayer, that will be my next big task. I'm still very new to this and battling with modelling, animation, texturing and big bad Quaternions too so polishing could take a while :p

The game is mainly about smart movement and prediction, a dodge might be a nice feature if it was a limited ability with a cooldown. I already have a teleport and leap ability which can be used to dodge, but a combat roll with animation would be pretty cool, thanks for the idea :)

I have made a new video but my internet is playing up, I will try to get it uploaded tomorrow.

Cheers.

10. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Polish is where you want to spend the time to fine tune all the core elements you have spent countless hours creating, and making the graphics as nice as you can.
    But I can understand - I'm at the other end of the spectrum - art and animation come pretty natural to me but when it comes to functionality and systems - I'm a novice to be sure.

Great explanation - that's exactly the type of dodge I was thinking - similar to the (don't remember the correct names) advanced dodge moves in Diablo 3.

Keep up the good work. I think the shrinking arena could really lead into an interesting world/story arc which can help drive the focus of the core elements.

Your design/development process is somewhat different than my preferred process but I see some interesting benefits in your workflow.

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I prefer joypad.

Diablo 3's controls are woefully outdated to the point that press and public agree that the console versions are without question far better than the desktop versions. For one reason: direct joypad control.

12. Mikenseer

Mikenseer

For some reason I totally missed this news, but it makes a bit of sense. Now my consideration of the xbox version of D3 isn't seeming as silly...

That being said, "outdated" controls aren't necessarily a bad thing. Can play the nostalgia card here, and there will always (at least for foreseeable future) be some sort of niche wanting these "outdated" controls. And niches can work well if you play your cards right.

Either way, its an interesting discussion for sure.

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I don't think nostalgia means sales any more though :) your main audience wants modern gaming with the flavour of the past rather than being, well, crap to play.

14. Serinx

Serinx

I don't have much of a process, but thanks for calling it that :p

As for the input, I may implement both methods which will be changeable in-game during the alpha stage. The idea is for players to experiment with both inputs and then cast a vote on which input they prefer, or whether they're indifferent. If there is one standout preference I will only move forward with that one, otherwise I may consider having it changeable going forward.

15. Serinx

Serinx

Hey Guys,

I have uploaded a new video with the following new features:
    • Teams
    • New character model ("Earthborn Troll" free from the asset store)
    • Stalker spell (Homing missile)
    • Jade Serpent spell (the crazy green missile)
    • New scene
    • Fixed some bugs
    Trolls vs Golems! enjoy :)

Next I will be working on the HUD so you can see your abilities, hotkeys, cooldowns and a description.

Thanks

16. Serinx

Serinx

Quick screenshot of the Action bar prototype, it generates the buttons dynamically based on the abilities attached to the player. It shows the hotkey, cooldown and name of the ability. When an ability is on cooldown you will see the time remaining displayed and it will change colour.

I will create icons (or possibly a 3d representation) for the spell and hover text next.

ActionBar.jpg

Let me know what you think so far :)

17. Schneider21

Schneider21

Ah! I've been intending to do a generated UI menu for a while now, and have yet to sink my teeth into it. How has your experience been with that?

18. Serinx

Serinx

Not was I was expecting at all, half of the work is done in the editor, the script basically just instantiates my "buttonPrefab", I then link the buttons up the the abilities and write to the text fields on the buttons and position them in the script. Then of course I need to check the status of the abilities in Update to change the cooldown and colour. I was expecting to have to resize the button and add the text objects myself, which probably would take a lot more time. Now that I know how to do it, it will be very easy in the future :)

Edit: I do have to resize the panel behind the buttons in the script, though there may be a way to have that automated through the editor, I'm not sure.

The documentation was very helpful for getting an idea on how the process works.

19. Serinx

Serinx

Hey guys, uploaded a new video to show the action bar with hovertext and also 2 new spells; lava pool and raise wall.

You can now also zoom in/out to get a better view of the battlefield.

I know it's looking pretty crazy right now with all the spells everywhere, just know players won't have access to all spells at once like in the videos.

I'm going to dive into the world of multiplayer now, I'll try to keep you guys posted on my progress though I'm not sure how long it will take before I have anything decent to show you!

Thanks, hope you enjoy the video!

20. Serinx

Serinx

Hey guys,

Been very busy lately so multiplayer progress has been slow.
    The basics are there, you can join a match with other players and kill each other with your abilities. It just doesn't look or feel right at the moment, I'm still deciding on the best networking approach.
    I want players to get what they see, if they see themselves dodge a projectile, they should dodge the projectile.
    However I also want to make it feel responsive. It's hard to find a good middle ground while trying to understand all this new stuff too!

I'm not going to post a video of the multiplayer till I'm semi-happy with it, it's pretty nasty to watch at the moment (projectiles warping all over the place etc)

I have thrown together a quick little video of a menu I threw together just for something to look at XD

Hope you enjoy, open to any suggestions/feedback about the game still :)

21. Serinx

Serinx

I Implemented multiplayer using a peer-to-peer Photon Cloud network approach. I am not happy with how it plays at all. There are many mismatches, warping and jittery movements which really isn't the kind of experience I wanted. I'm sure there's a way I can make it all nicer but I think I'd rather overhaul the networking approach and use client-server or at least a dummy client acting as a server.

I'm going to take a little break from this project and work on a small multiplayer project with similar mechanics but using the client-server networking approach. If all goes well I will try to modify Finite Earth to use this new approach also.

This is what I should have done from the start! Oh well, lesson learned!

There may not be any updates for a while depending on how long this little project takes.

Thanks.

22. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Hey Serinx - when you come back consider editing the particle shots/spells from the player character and enemies. I noticed in your second to last video, they're all the same except the color. I know they are probably just preliminary but I thought I'd point it out.
    Good idea to test another network setup on another project.

23. Serinx

Serinx

Yeah I will definitely mix up the effects to look different, I put that stuff under the "polish" phase. Just wanting to get the basic mechanics done. Having the spells different colours is really just for testing at the moment :)

Was thinking of adding in some electricity effects, more fire/explosions and maybe a nice dispersing puff of smoke or something on teleport :)

24. Serinx

Serinx

Hello everyone,

Been working on my blender and digital painting skills for the past few months and now I've decided to pick this project back up. I'm going to do a complete overhaul of the art style and make it more of a cartoony/blocky/hand painted look.

I've fixed up a few things that were bugging me (is that why they call them bugs?) and created a little multiplayer web player.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/8zjw8rhqoxrxyls/FiniteEarthWeb01.html

You won't be able to do much unless other players are on but I'd just like to post something!

Thanks

25. Serinx

Serinx

Hello,

Just posted a new video of my progress.

In this video you'll see

-Hosting a game
    -Viewing available games
    -Joining Games (Including Join by Name)
    -Multiplayer 4 player FFA
    -Round resets when 1 player left standing
    -Players spawn when a new round starts
    -Host of the game can spawn bots (These bots do not respawn)

Here's a webplayer, if there's no games you can host your own and add some bots :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/8zjw8rhqoxrxyls/FiniteEarthWeb01.html

Pretty happy with how everythings going right now, next up I might add new levels and level select when hosting a game!

I'm thinking of changing how casting spells works, right now pressing the hotkey will instantly cast the spell in the direction you're facing. I might change it so when you press the hotkey you can see the range/aoe of the spell and then click to cast.
    Can I get peoples thoughts on this?

After that I'm going to add new characters and spells and try to make everything look nicer and polish polish polish.

As always, any feedback/ideas/suggestions are welcomed :)

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  26. Serinx

Serinx

Changes Since Last Update
    • Fixed some spawning issues
    • Added a spectator mode so players can view the round in progress before they spawn and when they're dead
    • Made the list of rooms scrollable (in hopes that lots of games will be hosted in the future!)
    • Made a "login" form (You just enter your name for now)
    • Finally added some sound effects and music!
    Works In Progress
    • Chat system
    • New game mode
    Coming Soon
    • New characters and character selection when joining a room
    • New maps
    • More options when hosting a game (teams, game mode, map etc)
    • Unlock and upgrade spells between rounds
    Coming Later
    • Spell icons
    • Prettier spell effects
    • Prettier UI
    I'd like to hear some feedback if anyone has any, especially constructive criticism!

Thanks

27. Serinx

Serinx

Chat is there with 1 little bug...

I have decided to give myself a deadline of the end of August to finish this.

It's been a great learning experience but I would actually like to finish it at some point and start something new.

I'd still like to get all the basic functionality there and make it an actual fun game!

Hopefully having this deadline will help to motivate me to get it finished.

28. Serinx

Serinx

Here are some character concepts for Boulderfist and Bud.

FiniteEarthCharConcepts.jpg

Boulderfist's abilities:
    Boulder Punch, Tunnel, Stone Wall and Hurl Boulder

Bud's abilities:
    Vine Whip, Leech Life, Root Self (Can't be moved), Root Enemy

Abilities are subject to change.

29. Serinx

Serinx

Hello, thought I'd share a little update. Created boulderfist and bud models rigged, animated and in the game!

Here's a GIF of Bud :)

Bud2.gif

30. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Nice work so far. Consider offsetting some of the keys on the leaves. It will make the animations look more natural and less unnatural. :)

Have you considered making one of buds abilities to subdue its opponent by making it totally relaxed and calmed? Or maybe causing his opponent to wander aimlessly for a set time because they are completely unfocused and sense-less?

31. Serinx

Serinx

I'm not much of an animator, what to you mean by offsetting the leaves? I know when he's hopping along it looks a little extreme, I may tweak that part.

I was thinking of doing just 4 abilities per character, but that is a good idea! I could use that instead of the "Root Enemy" (which sounds a bit rapey) or I may add more abilities if I have the time.

Thanks for your input :)

32. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

All the extreme poses happen at the same time. If you move some of the keys around the extreme poses will not all happen at the same time and look more natural because they are offset slightly.
    So the left leaf will not hit the upper pose at the exact same frame as the right leaf. Etc

33. Serinx

Serinx

Oh I get you, thanks I'll try that

34. Serinx

Serinx

Here's a screenshot of 2 new characters in the game and some new textures

NewChars.png

And here's a new video showing the new characters animated, added sounds effects and music, and a chat system (Although I'm the only player in the game...)

No new abilities yet.

I really like how the art is looking despite my lack or experience, hope you like it too!

Edit: Forgot to say, the new character is named Shiva, she's meant to be an ice elemental of some sort!

35. Serinx

Serinx

Question for you guys.

I've been struggling to think of how to design my next character. All I know is I want it to use fire spells, I can't think of any ideas that I like though.

I don't want to do another humanoid as I've got 2 already. I was thinking like a baby dragon or dinosaur or something. Or maybe a fire elemental/genie type creature.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might be interesting to see?

Cheers :)

36. Serinx

Serinx

Decided to go with a little dragon named Smog, now to model and rig him.

Smog.png

37. Serinx

Serinx

Hey Guys,

Introducing a new character called Smog. A baby dragon prone to tantrums. Hasn't quite mastered breathing fire yet so will have some smokey spells as well as some sparky ones along with a good old headbutt!

Smog.png

And here he is animated.

Smog2.gif

SAOTA likes this.
  38. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Really cool looking game, the gameplay looks extremely fun, I have always been the one to enjoy some good magical pvp. Good job on this! :)

39. Serinx

Serinx

Thanks, I appreciate that :)

40. Anisoropos

Anisoropos

Looks awesome man, Do you do all the programming & modeling / rigging / animating / etc.. yourself?

41. Serinx

Serinx

Thanks :) Yeah I'm doing it all myself. I've learnt so much and having so much fun with it too, although it would be a lot easier and faster if I could just focus on 1 area haha.

42. Serinx

Serinx

Hey guys,

Just put together a whole bunch of spell icons, Let me know what you think :)

Icons.jpg

I took your idea and called it "Soothing Herbs". Thanks :p

Click on the spoiler to see the definitions of each spell!

BoulderFist (Grey Icons)
    • Boulder Punch - Close range attack
    • Hurl Boulder - Long ranged attack
    • Rock Wall - Raises a wall of stone from the ground
    • Tunnel - Boulderfist goes subterranean, unable to be attacked and can burst out of the ground, knocking back and damaging nearby enemies
    Bud(Green Icons)
    • Leech Life - Bud grabs the nearest enemy in range and sucks the life out of them, healing himself, then spits them away
    • Natures Hook - Bud shoots out a vine which grabs any enemies it comes into contact with and pulls them in
    • Root - Bud roots himself to the ground, unable to be moved and taking reduced damage
    • Soothing Herbs - Bud naturally emits a soothing aroma which slows the cooldown of nearby enemies spells
    Shiva(Blue Icons)
    • Cold Aura - Enemies near Shiva will have slower movespeed and cast speed
    • Freeze - Shiva can freeze and enemy, completely disabling them and making them extra slippery
    • Icicle - Shiva's only damage spell, Icicle has a very short cooldown but deals small damage and knockback
    • Tundra - Shiva lays down a patch of icy terrain which is very slippery and temporarily chills anyone caught in it
    Smog(Red Icons)
    • Flare - Long range attack that's very unpredictable
    • Headbutt - Smog charges forward, using his thick skull to crush anything in his path
    • Smokescreen - Smog surrounds himself in smoke, becoming invisible and moving very quickly
    • Sparky - Smog tries to breathe fire! But just ends up spraying a flurry of sparks

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  43. Serinx

Serinx

Hey Guys,

Just a quick update, I'm about half way done with the abilities. Smog is finished, Shiva, Bud and Boulderfist are about half way done. Buds vine whip turned out to be pretty tricky to work out, but I think it's good now - just need to make it look better!

Here's a screenshot of Smog using SmokeScreen, he only appears like this to his owner, other players will only see periodic puffs off smoke. Let me know what you think!

SmogSmokeScreen.jpg

44. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Any chance for a web demo?

45. Serinx

Serinx

I will put together a webplayer hopefully next week. I want to finish off all the abilities and run some tests to make sure everything is syncing properly.

I would like to upgrade the bots a bit as they can only use the projectile spells at the moment, I'll see how I go for time, though they're still pretty decent opponents :) Hopefully you'll catch another player on!

Thanks for the interest.

46. Serinx

Serinx

I've got the characters abilities all finished now, I still have a few little issues to fix up with syncing but it's 90% there.

It's not playing as smoothly as I'd like so I'll take some time to improve CPU and network performance.

After that I will improve the UI (Showing players in the game and their score), let you change characters in game and then I'll look at how I can let players upgrade their abilities between rounds.

Unfortunately I don't think it's ready for a demo at the moment so I might have to put that off to next week before I go on holiday!

Thanks

RavenOfCode likes this.
  47. Serinx

Serinx

If anyone would like to propose a new character design I'm open to adding it to my game!

Just a rough idea and maybe a sketch will do, list the 4 abilities this character will have and try to keep it unique from the existing characters.

If there are multiple suggestions, I might do a poll to decide which one to go with, if there is only 1 then I might just roll with that one! (and if there are none then I might just cry)

Teleport and Homing Missile are already done and available if you want to make my job easier, perhaps an arcane type character?

I'll do my best to turn your idea into a Finite Earth character!

looking forward to ideas!

Thanks

RavenOfCode likes this.
  48. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

:)

Ability 1: Illusion, an escape spell the creates an illusion of the player moving forward, while the player turns invisible and can move for another attack/escape, due to the overpoweredness of this spell it would need a long recharge, maybe 20 seconds.
    Ability 2: Burst, creates a magic wave around the player that gets larger and deals damage, recharge 8, deals low damage. similar to the fire explosion in btd5.
    Ability 3: Homing Missile, maybe deals shock? and low damage.
    Ability 4: Powerpunch, player stops movement, takes 1 second to charge and deals massive damage. (similar to captain falcons punch in SSBB).

Just a rough idea of a character, I dont really know your scripting so some of this might not work too well, feel free to change any of this :)

49. Serinx

Serinx

Sounds good, you're first in line at the moment!

Most of those sound pretty straight forward, I like the burst idea, I don't have much in the way of AOE spells yet.

Any idea on what the character should look like?

50. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Um, I was thinking white/purple, something like a guy with a long robe and a pointy hat (kinda like a purple gandalf from lord of the rings).