Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[FINISHED] Akiro the squid <3

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Mothil, May 5, 2015.

1. QFSW

QFSW

Maybe you could have the blobs a lot bigger, bug give each layer opacity? Going back to the idea i had of dynamically making further layers darker, i feel doing the inverse as well for opacity could work really well, but i dont know
    Liking the main menu

2. Mothil

Mothil

I love how you commented this just as I was about to upload what I've been working on! :)

EDIT: It's not opacity though, just "faded" colors.

RavenOfCode and MoonJellyGames like this.
  3. MoonJellyGames

MoonJellyGames

What would you think about including some kind of warning that an enemy is approaching from off-screen? I know the screen space is limited, but because of that there sometimes isn't much time to react to enemies coming from the sides. I was thinking a simple tiny arrow at the edge, similar to how F-Zero shows when there is somebody coming up behind you.

Mothil likes this.
  4. Mothil

Mothil

It's a very good idea jester, I'll write it down. :)

MoonJellyGames likes this.
  5. QFSW

QFSW

Im liking how its looking, keep up the good work

Mothil likes this.
  6. Mothil

Mothil

I read a couple posts from other developers yesterday that one should avoid using other's fonts just in case it can backfire. That, along with me wanting to create everything for the game, resulted in my main quest for the day: Create my own font.

So, I found a pixel font maker, and here's the test result (just written extremely fast):

RavenOfCode likes this.
  7. MoonJellyGames

MoonJellyGames

I was looking for a font-making program recently, but the one I came across was kinda complicated looking. I'm not gonna lie: I pressed a few buttons, scribbled over the letter 'A' a little bit, and then closed it. Which one are you using? How easy is it to use?

I'm not sure where you got the font that you were using previously, but there are websites with "commercial free" licenses which explicitly state that you can use them in a project that you sell. Just in case you change your mind, that is.

Mothil likes this.
  8. Mothil

Mothil

The one I found is very easy to use, and it's not even something you have to download. It does say the ink font is commercial free, but I'm honestly not going to take the chance. I'm excited to create my own anyway! :)

I believe it was the first result when I wrote pixel font maker, but here's the link.
    After doodling around with this for 20 minutes now, it seems like you're very free to draw anywhere in those boxes. I first followed the red line and faded letters, but I just exported the letter A using the whole canvas and it works like a charm.

That's just for pixel art though, not sure if that's what you're after. :)

akiro.png

9. Mothil

Mothil

It's basically implemented into the game, but it doesn't feel ... correct. Not yet, at least. But it's a start.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  10. Mothil

Mothil

Death Screen / Game Over time!

First off, there's one thing that I'd like to draft on. 6 of the 8 sketches have an "adfree" option. I'm very certain I want to show ads. I, myself, really dislike seeing ads, but it seems like the most logical step considering I would very much like having game development as a job. I would believe it's only reasonable to let the player have the option of buying an adfree version if the player really wants to. I'm not sure if I'm going to implement that, but I do at least have to take it into consideration.

Sketch 4 and 7 has a peculiar button with a squid logo. Maybe the player can switch colors on death screen or something.
    One more thing I'd like to elaborate on is the drawings on sketch 2, 5 and 6. I toyed around with the idea of having higher res pixel images of Akiro dying to the enemy that killed him. Just Akiro being attacked, having "x" eyes or something. I think it could be charming. Oh, and also, sketch 7 and 8 has seaweed or some fancy border to just fill up the screen. Not sure if it's really worth it though.

What do you think about ads, and having the option to buy-to-remove them?
    Was one of them more appealing than the others?
    Feel free to share your thoughts :)

RavenOfCode likes this.
  11. Mothil

Mothil

I'm honestly not sure if I'm going to have the "buy ad-free" option in the first release. Not because I shouldn't, but because it's a bit scary to implement, at least on my first try. I'll have to ponder a bit more on this.
    With that said, I'm probably going for something like Game Over screen number 5 in design, at least for first release. :)

12. Mothil

Mothil

I haven't been coding that much today. I've mostly sketched a lot of ideas while watching Netflix. I did get around to trying out some new enemy designs, though:

Okay, so my thoughts behind this... The design has to be fair. I want the game to be hard, but not make the player feel like the game is cheating on them. My biggest concern regarding this is enemies coming from the sides. I've gotten suggestions on coding in indicators that enemies are approaching, and it's a fantastic idea, but... I'm up for the challenge to design enemies that are hard to dodge, but doesn't need indicators.

Gif: The game is locked to portrait, and simply swimming up or down gives the player more reaction time than swimming to the sides, simply because of screen ratio. That's why I wanted to toy around with making the jellyfish swim up, and having rocks fall down. This would, hopefully, balance out the gameplay and not "force" the player to continuously swim up and down to increase odds of winning.

Feedback is always welcome. I'd like to upload a playable file as soon as those two on the gif and a new enemy is implemented.

13. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Maybe add a whale enemy of something that covers the lower/upper half of the screen. That would encourage side to side swimming. ;)

It's looking nice though! Keep it up! :)

Mothil likes this.
  14. Mothil

Mothil

A whale would be an awesome enemy that could randomly pop in, I'll note it down! :)

Akiro gameplay/show video #3:

MoonJellyGames and RavenOfCode like this.
  15. Mothil

Mothil

9 hours.
    9 hours of trying to refactor and fix enemies having separate spawning timers. After 8 and a half hour it dawned on me that I could just put several of the same script on an object and just skip the whole list.First and msdn and aaaaaaaaaaaaaa-

It's at times like these I don't feel like I can ever become a good programmer, because that should have taken me literally less than 15 minutes to do, but it took the whole day. I'm sort of happy I'm stubborn though, cause there's no way I'm giving up that easily.

MoonJellyGames and RavenOfCode like this.
  16. Mothil

Mothil

So I've been thinking. After I fixed some semi-working spawn timers for the various enemies, I sat down and played for 10 minutes. While it's certainly a lot more balanced than it has been in a while, it still doesn't feel... right.
    You know that feeling you get when you play a game, and everything is designed like it's made for that world. I don't get that feeling with Akiro, at least not yet.

I want the player to feel like every tap on the screen has a purpose. He/she either has to dodge an enemy, or chase a shrimp. Every enemy has to feel special, and every shrimp chase-worthy.

This needs some explanation, cause my artistic skills doesn't accurately convey my thoughts here. The little guy in the middle is akiro. the red border is the outer spawn radius of the shrimp. Currently, shrimp spawn at, let's say, every 1 second. It finds a spawn point randomly inside that red area, which means shrimp can spawn right outside the camera, or directly on Akiro. I believe this needs some fixing, which is why I drew the two white borders.

White border explanation and thoughts: While I was playing the game for 10 minutes, I noticed that sometimes there were no shrimp on the screen. This means that there are no visible objective for the player, which again means that the player has nothing to do for x seconds but dodge enemies. I don't like that, I want the player to always want to explore the waters and encourage the player to tap often.

The white borders are like a spawn radius on the outer parts of the screen area. This sounds, at least in my head, like a good way to always have shrimp visible, as well as encourage the player to swim in a direction. I'm going to explore this more tomorrow.

17. MoonJellyGames

MoonJellyGames

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for there to occasionally be no shrimp on the screen as long as there are enemies to avoid, and as long as the shrimp aren't difficult to find. You obviously don't want a situation where shrimp are consecutively being spawned out of sight, so I'm not sure how you'd guard against that.

I had another idea for Akiro, by the way. I don't know if it quite fits with the simple design philosophy you've been going for though. We've talked about the problem of unfair kills from enemies spawning from the sides giving the player insufficient time to react. What if there was a sort of fail-safe offensive ability? If you've played Pacman Championship addition, I'm referring to something similar to the bombs you can get. If you get cornered, the game slows down and you have a moment to use a bomb to clear the enemies in the vicinity. Of course, your stock is limited and you can only get more by scoring more points. It helps eliminate the problem of losing due to being stuck in an unwinnable situation after racking up a tonne of points.

Because Akiro is (and should probably remain) a one-input game (no second button for dropping a "bomb" or whatever), it could just be something that is triggered automatically. Maybe every x points, your fail-safe ability is ready. If you get hit, Akrio blasts out some ink, clearing nearby enemies, and you become invincible for a couple of seconds. There would probably need to be a small indicator on the HUD that shows you how many more points you need to charge the ability.

Again, I'm not sure if this fits with your vision of the game-- there are probably simpler solutions. I just thought I'd share it anyways. :)

Mothil likes this.
  18. Mothil

Mothil

I think you have some very good points here, jester! And your idea sounds very interesting. The first thing that popped into my mind was slow motion when an enemy is very close (haven't played that pacman game, so it was a bit abstract until you explained it). I think this could work well, but I'm up for the challenge to try creating enemies that doesn't require a safety net.

I don't want to compare Akiro to Flappy Bird, but the core idea is basically somewhat the same, only Akiro has more organic enemy designs and fluid movement. It just feels like there should be some way for me to create a vivid underwater experience where the player has that "one life" sort of gameplay. I'm liking the idea more and more, so I'm definitely keeping this sketched down. It's a great idea, thank you. :)

19. QFSW

QFSW

I like the idea jester made, but maybe to keep the game hard the amount of points required could go up. eg. you get a failsafe at 10, 30, 60, 100, 150 etc

20. Mothil

Mothil

I got sick this weekend, so I haven't been able to work on the game as much as I've wanted to. I have, however, had plenty of time to think about the development and what my next steps are. The "perfectionist dreamer" in me wants to make Akiro super awesome, balanced and 'perfect'.

It's been a fantastic learning experience, but I believe it would be better for me to finish this very soon and start working on all kinds of stuff. I've started dipping my toes in concepts like inheritance, enums, structs and a bunch of stuff, and the problem is I can't experiment with stuff like that in Akiro. That's why I'd very much like to finish the core game very soon, so I can get a fresh start on a new project. I'm still of course going to update Akiro, possibly add a shop, maybe even highscore friendslist or local area network multiplayer. I got that idea a couple days ago and I thought it was very cute. I just imagine 2-5 different akiro's swimming around.

So I noted down roughly what I want to fix before I release the game. There's bound to be a couple more things, but I believe this is the majority of it. It's exciting, and I'm proud of myself for soon finishing a project from start to finish. :D

21. Mothil

Mothil

I'm starting to feel better, and I'm very ready to work a whole lot more on the game. I've been thinking today... about finishing the game and release date. I'd like to try, to possibly, have the release date 11.07.2016. That's only 11 days, but right now that sounds like a nice release date because I might visit my family that week. It'd be cool to kind of me finished before that, but I'm not sure.

Anyways, some small fixes for today:
    - worked a bit on a swordfish (not shown on gif)
    - random small rotation differences on boulders and jellyfish, to achieve a more organic feeling when they arrive on screen.

22. MoonJellyGames

MoonJellyGames

11 days, eh? That's an ambitious deadline-- er, target, at least. I have just one suggestion for you: Attach a script to the points counter that makes it translucent when an enemy or shrimp is behind it.

Also, I've been curious where you got the design for the brown jellyfish. There are so many weird and colourful jellyfish species, I feel like it's a bit of a missed opportunity not to go a little nuts with it. I love the other critters so far (pufferfish is my favourite), but the brown jellies feel a bit out of place.

Finally, would you be able to update the itch.io? Based on what I've seen, the one I've been playing is pretty old.

Mothil likes this.
  23. Mothil

Mothil

Oh yeah, it's way too ambitious. I know, but I can try! The translucent points counter is an excellent idea, can't believe I haven't thought about that. Writing it down, I'll check to see if I can do it tomorrow. :)

The jellyfish art is purely placeholder, I'm going to draw and animate a colorful one very soon. Thank you for the honesty!

I'll update the itch tomorrow morning. :)

24. MoonJellyGames

MoonJellyGames

Cool. I'm looking forward to trying the new version. :D

The "HUD dimmer" is something I had to work into my project. You're welcome to use my script as a starting point (there's obviously stuff that you won't need in there). The key thing was realizing that the "dimming" should happen in OnTriggerStay rather than OnTriggerEnter because of the case where multiple objects overlapping-- you don't want the alpha to return to normal when an object exits if there are still objects hiding behind the HUD. Anyways, here ya go:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEngine.UI;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. public class HUDDimmerScript : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     private Image HUDimage;
    8.     private Color defaultColor;
    9.     private Color dimmedColor;
    10.     private const float dimmedAlpha = 0.1f;
    12.     void Awake()
    13.     {
    14.         HUDimage = GetComponent<Image>();
    15.         defaultColor = HUDimage.color;
    16.         dimmedColor = new Color(defaultColor.r, defaultColor.g, defaultColor.b, dimmedAlpha);
    17.     }
    19.     void OnTriggerStay2D(Collider2D col)
    20.     {
    21.         if (col.gameObject)
    22.         {
    23.             if (col.gameObject.GetComponent<PlayerController>())
    24.             {
    25.                 if (col.gameObject.GetComponent<PlayerController>().IsAlive())
    26.                     HUDimage.color = dimmedColor;
    27.                 else
    28.                     HUDimage.color = defaultColor;
    29.             }
    30.             else if (col.gameObject.GetComponent<BombScript>())
    31.             {
    32.                 if (!col.gameObject.GetComponent<BombScript>().GetExploded())
    33.                     HUDimage.color = dimmedColor;
    34.                 else
    35.                     HUDimage.color = defaultColor;
    36.             }
    37.         }
    38.     }
    40.     void OnTriggerExit2D(Collider2D col)
    41.     {
    42.         if (col.gameObject && (col.gameObject.GetComponent<PlayerController>() || col.gameObject.GetComponent<BombScript>()))
    43.             HUDimage.color = defaultColor;
    44.     }
    45. }

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    Mothil likes this.
  25. Mothil

Mothil

That's awesome jester! I haven't tried it yet, but I'll get around to it.
    I got a bit caught up in trying to push a new build. I uploaded the newest to itch, but the art was very buggy and I couldn't find a fix. I believe it's because web player is outdated. Then I tried to just build it as an exe file, thinking I could just upload it to dropbox and people could download it, but the resolution failed me quite horribly.

So that's one option left, webGL. And after fiddling around with it for a bit... I present to you, a very creative webpage:

Akiro the squid!

That's the latest playable. And considering how easy it was to actually do it I want to style it and make it a bit prettier very soon. Hopefully it's just as easy to update it there, but we'll see.

26. Mothil

Mothil

After carefully studying jellyfish in their natural habitat, I've concluded that my animation captures their behaviour perfectly.

27. MoonJellyGames

MoonJellyGames

Nailed it XD

I like the new build of the game, by the way. That parallax effect looks really neat. It seems like the enemy spawn rate (as well as the large shrimp respawn rate) have drastically declined. Are you going to make them increase as you get more points?

28. Mothil

Mothil

I've been thinking about increasing the spawn rate slightly by points. Not much, but maybe up to a certain score. I want the game to be a sort of instant jump in and watch your back type of gameplay, so I'm really not sure how I should balance it. :)

29. Mothil

Mothil

Oh, and also, I did this. Not too happy with it, but it works. The perfectionist is screaming inside me, but I have no idea how to make smooth transition and actually make it look nice.

30. MoonJellyGames

MoonJellyGames

^ That looks very similar to the menu system I implemented. I actually did it really poorly the first time and so I recently had to tear it apart to re-do it.

For your player select, it would be ideal if the selections moved either on/off screen or behind the front squid. I think you'll need four squid sprites in either case (three visible now, plus the one that enters the screen). You could move (and scale-- making the front one bigger) them with a manager that has a reference to all of them. The manager would also assign the new colour to the next visible squid. The manager will need a list of every possible squid so it will know what to assign the next colour as.

Mothil likes this.
  31. Mothil

Mothil

I've been thinking a bit today, and I've concluded that I'm going to wait with polish until after I've released it. That also includes what you mentioned jester; rotating color selection. I really want to add it, but I don't know how, so I think the wisest choice for me now would be to get everything working nicely, and then release it.

And I've been animating the death menu, as well as added a "killed by" image.
    By that I mean a sprite showing Akiro dying to whatever mob hit him. I was hoping it would add some personality. Of course, those are placeholder images.

And the newest build

Edit: forgot to hook up the scoreboard though... My bad. :eek:

32. MoonJellyGames

MoonJellyGames

I'm looking forward to having this to play on my phone. :D

Make sure you take are of that teleporting shrimp bug though! :O The version I've been playing has some placeholder swordfish as well as the death screens, so I think it's almost up to date. The spacebar works to move Akrio until you die once, then you have to use a different key because spacebar resets the game. Also, after the first death, the game over screen zips away before you can click either of the buttons. I'm sure you're aware of these, but just in case. ;)

Mothil likes this.
  33. Mothil

Mothil

teleporting shrimp is sort of my tutorial. It resets it's position until the player can get it, and when the player gets it, the spawning begins. Maybe I'll have to tweak that a bit as well to indicate it more.

Yeah, you're on the latest version. But regarding the spacebar.. that bug also happens only because of the space bar bug, but I have no idea WHY spacebar does that. I've made the habit of playing with s, so I always forget to check into the weird spacebar thing. The game over screen does that only because of spacebar...

34. Mothil

Mothil

Wraaaaa-ha-haaaaa, I fixed it! *Feels almost pro*

35. Mothil

Mothil

It's a bit embarrassing to upload this, but it shows that I too can learn programming given time.
    They should be flipped though - The right one is the previous pufferfish script, which had a bug that sometimes evolved the puffers just as they spawned. This normally only happened on my android, no idea why.

The left one is my new puffer script, which does exactly the same thing. It took me about an hour to do this, but I'm happy I managed to complete it. It's so much easier to read now, I love it.

36. Mothil

Mothil

The pufferfish is almost exactly as I envisioned it now. There's just one final tweak; they should rotate based on the position of the player, to further enhance the feeling of"aaaah, I really want to get that player, but I'm floating away!"

I don't know if this is true, but I feel like the pufferfish is a better designed enemy than the rest. I guess some balance is needed by having a bit more static enemies (jellyfish/boulders) else everything is going to just surround the player. It feels like I should rethink the swordfish, so I guess there's going to be a lot of sketching today.

37. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

It's a neat game!

I would not make it so you die in one hit, I would make it two hits. the fist hit takes away your protection and you are scared, then when you get hit while your scared you die.

After the first hit your protection slowly rebuilds to full strength. in this way you gain another possibility to get hit without dying.

Mothil likes this.
  38. Mothil

Mothil

Thank you Lars. :)

I think I'm quite satisfied with having just one HP, but this just comes down to balance. I'd like to think that there's a way for me to balance the enemies so 1 hp feels just right, but we'll see. :)

39. MoonJellyGames

MoonJellyGames

I love the pufferfish rotation. It seems crazy now that it was ever any different. That's how you know you've definitely made an improvement. :p

I agree that you need more static enemies. There could be a jellyfish variety that is small and plentiful, and more or less floats in place.

Mothil likes this.
  40. Mothil

Mothil

I think I just got a fantastic enemy idea which will replace the swordfish. I'm really excited to try implement it. If all goes well, let's see if we can get a playable version with that enemy later today.

41. Mothil

Mothil

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's in the game.

Behold, the resurrection of the turtle!

I am so glad I got this idea, it really feels like it fits into the enemy pool. Basically, the way the turtle moves is:
    It first spawns on either side, and it swims until it can see Akiro, then it kind of "lurks" for two seconds, then swims at max speed toward the player.

The fine tuning is going to be, obviously the art, and make it so the turtle goes into its shell when swimming towards the player. Maybe also shoot bubbles on the way. And I'd like to experiment with sending the turtle in curls... ehm. It's easier to show what I mean with a drawing.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  42. Mothil

Mothil

Mhh, I'm really tired but this was way too fun. My code is a mess, but the turtles are so silly now.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  43. Mothil

Mothil

I didn't notice the new forum was read-only, I just figured it was down. Well... I found out eventually!
    There's some exciting things coming up. I've decided to just launch the game, and polish the game in updates. I'm uploading it to Google Play now. It's exciting, but also quite scary. :)

44. Mothil

Mothil

I took a giant leap and released the game. There's still tons I'd like to fix on it, but I figured... Let's just release it, and take one step at a time. It's now available on Google Play and GameJolt.

This development log has been a wonderful journey for me, and I want to thank each and everyone of you who popped your nose in and said hi. I've learned so much throughout this project, and I've loved 98% of the time I worked on it... There has been a couple frustrating exceptions! :)

So thank you. Any further updates on the game will probably not me written about here, as I do consider the main part of the game done. It's time for me to go deeper into development than I've ever done before. My next steps will probably be to update Akiro a bit, hopefully add a $.99 remove ads purchase, and then make a handfull of prototypes. My head is flooding with ideas and mechanics I want to try out, so maybe another development log isn't that far away.

GOOGLE PLAY:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.MothilGames.Akiro

GAMEJOLT:
    http://gamejolt.com/games/akiro/163972

Oh, and I'm also trying to sneak my way into the App Store, so let's see how that goes. :D

45. MoonJellyGames

MoonJellyGames

Congrats! I'm glad that I can finally play it on my phone. Unfortunately, it isn't running very well for me. I don't know if that's because my phone is too old (Samsung Galaxy S4) or if that's one of the things you were referring to that needs fixing.

Mothil likes this.
  46. Mothil

Mothil

The game is quite simple, so I think it should run well on older devices. If it doesn't, the problem most likely is on something I've done. I'm going to take a look at that tomorrow, cause I want the game to run as smoothly as possible on as many devices as possible. :)

47. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Well you know I've already said it but never hurts to write it again...

Congrats on completing your game! :)

QFSW and MoonJellyGames like this.
  48. Mothil

Mothil

Thanks again Gar! It's really exciting, and it feels like I can sort of call myself a game developer now. The next big (MASSIVE) step now would be to maybe, if I'm incredibly lucky, make a living off of developing games. Time will tell. :)

GarBenjamin and MoonJellyGames like this.
  49. Mothil

Mothil

I decided I'm not going to add difficulty level, mostly because I want everybody to be at equal grounds for something I really, really want to add soon. (leaderboards for mobile!)

I followed your advice though, Gar, and it's easier to grab a snack now:

I'm really glad you came up with that idea, cause it instantly feels better in gameplay. Sweet. :)

RavenOfCode and GarBenjamin like this.
  50. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Congrats on releasing your first game! :)

I downloaded the andriod version and had a blast (played with it for like an hour or so), I'm not to good (I only got 12) but maybe I'll get better.

The only thing I would really recommend is adding a shudder of sorts to the turtle (when he is on the edge of the screen). It was kinda weird seeing him just fixed with the camera. The rest of the game looks quite well polished though! Great work! :D

As far as performance went, it was fine, I ran it on a moto E 2nd gen (not to old, not to powerful though).

Again congrats, looking forward to more! :)

Mothil and MoonJellyGames like this.