Search Unity

Finding the bottom of a transform/gameobject

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by RingOfStorms, Feb 8, 2012.

1. RingOfStorms

RingOfStorms

Hey guys I am wondering if there is a way to find the height per say of an object then instantiate at the bottom of it. Atm, when I instantiate a particle system to gameobject.transform.position (the cube int he screen) - it is directly in the middle. Is there a way in code I can find the bottom w/o putting in a manual -4 or something so that it will work on any sized shape.

So I wanna find the height and just subtract half of it and instantiate at the bottom of the cube. This is what I am using currently to find and do all that :

Code (csharp):
    2. Ray ray = Camera.mainCamera.ScreenPointToRay(Input.mousePosition);
    3.         RaycastHit hit;
    4.         if(Physics.Raycast(ray/*Starting Point*/, out hit/*Direction of Ray*/, Mathf.Infinity/*Distance of ray*/)) {
    5.             if(hit.collider.tag == "Player1" | hit.collider.tag == "Player2" | hit.collider.tag == "Player3" | hit.collider.tag == "Player4" | hit.collider.tag == "Player5" | hit.collider.tag == "Player6" | hit.collider.tag == "Enemy") {
    6.                 objCached = hit.collider.gameObject;
    7.             }else{
    8.                 objCached = null;
    9.             }
    10.             if(objCached != cachedObj) {
    11.                 cachedObj = objCached;
    12.             }
    13.         }
    15.         if(cachedObj) {
    16.             if(!PSwaitingClone) {
    17.                 PSwaitingClone = Instantiate(PSwaiting, cachedObj.transform.position, Quaternion.identity) as GameObject;
    18.             }else{
    19.                 PSwaitingClone.transform.position = cachedObj.transform.position;
    20.             }
    21.         }else{
    22.             Destroy(PSwaitingClone);
    23.         }

2. vdek

vdek

3. MADmarine

MADmarine

Yep, you want to find the Mesh bound extent on the y axis, and translate your effect downwards by that amount.

4. RingOfStorms

RingOfStorms

Think you could give a slight exemplar on how to call the y value and go down to the bottom of the shape being selected

5. RingOfStorms

RingOfStorms

Yea I still need some help on this, I've tried the mesh.bounds, renderer.bounds and still can't figure out how to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

6. JRavey

JRavey

Show what you tried, its disrespectful to assume others will guess

7. tpainton

tpainton

It's obvious what he wants... I'd show him, but I have the same question and now, due to extremely poor intuition, we have no answer. And, no, I'm not rewording the obvious for you.

8. Hunerstrike

Hunerstrike

No clue how to work with the Mesh Vertices, im assuming you'd have to use a sorting algorithm for the vertices, ill just utilize a physics raycast somehow for simplicity ig...