Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Finally, an interactive tutorial series that WILL teach you C# for Unity3D

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by SubZeroGaming, Mar 25, 2013.

?

Would you like to see more c# Interactive tutorials?

1. Yes

1,403 vote(s)
    98.9%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. BradleyTheory

BradleyTheory

I've been doing tutorials for two days straight and this was my exact thought... Finished two of them and after that I opened a blank project, just didn't know where to start...

I will try your tutorials tomorrow and want to thank you in advance for sharing these!

2. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Than
    Thanks, @BradleyTheory

Make sure to also check out http://facebook.com/DigitalGamingInstitute to catch information on new tutorials, live streams, and the new Codey's Lab.

3. nelson0511

nelson0511

I am following along with your C# Fundamentals: 05 - Loops (for, foreach, do, while) loops video. With the for loop I followed along with you code and it only prints out the numbers " 0 and 1"

Here is the code I typed in:

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;
    public class Loops : MonoBehaviour {

public int apples = 100;
    void Start ()
    {
    for(int i = 0; i < apples; i++)
    {
    Debug.Log(i);
    }
    }

What am I doing wrong?

4. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

It looks correct to me. Make sure it's attached to your camera the script, and give us a picture of your console window please.

5. nelson0511

nelson0511

I did not have the script connected to the camera. When I attached it to the camera and removed all other components it worked properly.

SubZeroGaming likes this.
  6. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Glad you got it working correctly!

Good news! Codey's Lab is released! Chapter 1 available on the Asset Store FREE
    http://u3d.as/gVP

Baldinoboy likes this.
  7. dpw

dpw

PLEASE, keep it up, Codey! Awesome job!

8. Rick Love

Rick Love

Thanks for the encouragement @dpw !

We just submitted chapter 2 to the asset store yesterday, and I am designing how to add community comments and improving the authoring tools this week.

Encouragement is the fuel that keeps us going strong :)

dpw likes this.
  9. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Codey's Lab: Chapter 2 in the asset store now! Purchase early, and receive all future chapters completely FREE!

blastintyres likes this.
  10. Rick Love

Rick Love

11. HazukiSon

HazukiSon

Bump. When's the next chapter coming out?

12. Rick Love

Rick Love

@HazukiSon I finished the comments and just have to run a final test, so it should be approved by Unity in about 1 week.

13. Rick Love

Rick Love

Codey's Lab is now on Steam Greenlight -> Help us go live and build our customer base so we can keep making more interactive tutorials for the Unity community.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/stats/495179306

Codey's Lab ™ is an Interactive tutorial system that teaches professional game development with C# and Unity. It is a brand new training environment unlike videos and books that are common today. It is the system you would imagine seeing in a sci-fi movie based in the future.

The interactive system guides you through each step required to create the game starting with nothing but a blank scene and a handful of images and sound files.

You will create the game scene, construct the code, read explanations for every part of the code, quiz understanding of the code, and view live changes to the game as you experiment with the code.

As the community grows we will add even more features to make it even better. However, it has already been receiving consistent 5 star reviews on the Unity Asset Store stating that it has revolutionized each person's learning of C#.

Space Shooter uses the same Assets as the official Unity tutorial. However, the tutorial will take you through the code and explain every word and phrase.
    You will be guided through each step so that you can create a whole game from Empty scene to Ready-to-Publish game.​

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  14. blastintyres

blastintyres

When is the RPG tutorial series coming out?

15. georetro

georetro

16. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

17. hugolcouto

hugolcouto

Whoal! Thanks dude! That was helpfull :D

18. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

19. Schyky

Schyky

Thanks for the tutorials, they're really helpful! :)

20. a-tunnard

a-tunnard

Is this project still being worked on? Seems to have gone quiet on the unreleased content.

HunterLero likes this.
  21. EnMod

EnMod

Yeah, I'm also not digging the package being incomplete while he makes a Patreon for what seems like unrelated tutorials. Grabbed the full package on the chance he eventually completes it, and since I'm desperate. Wouldn't recommend buying to anyone else right now, though.

22. Gametyme

Gametyme

Do you have a link for the patreon?

23. ashley

ashley

24. NateBestDevRocks

NateBestDevRocks

Is this still good info now in 2016?
    Also, if it is, what video would you say I start off with? I have a very very very small bit of background knowledge in C#. Thanks!

25. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Yup, all videos are relevant and work. The 2D videos have minor changes, but nothing you wouldn't be able to overcome.

If you're just starting out, I have a complete series covering the C# fundamentals, and the intermediate, as well as an introduction to Advanced programming topics. I suggest going through each of those, and then starting with a space shooter game.

Feel free to comment on the videos if you get stuck and i'll happily guide you in the right direction.

Happy coding!

26. hugolcouto

hugolcouto

The basics are the same. Things like load a new scene could be different since it was changed from 4.x to 5.x but all the basics is the same.

27. KingLlama

KingLlama

Any update on chapter 3 or anything? If not, I'll try the free version.

28. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Sadly the success of Codey's Lab was a flop and all development has been stopped. I will update this thread to remove Codey's Lab.

29. KingLlama

KingLlama

That hurts my heart. I really wanted to learn how to code in C#! Thanks for being honest though!

30. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Watch my videos. I have a fundamental, intermeidate, and advanced c# series.

KingLlama likes this.
  31. GameDevJon

GameDevJon

Rebranding and starting back up.

I've released a new live series where I walk through creating a MMO client/server architecture in real time.

You can check it out here:

32. UnityFan18

UnityFan18

Hello,

Thank you for making interactive tutorials. As a kinesthetic learner, it is incredibly awesome to see something like Codey's Lab. There definitely needs to be more kinesthetic learning tutorials out there for Unity.

In addition, It seems that Unity is starting to publish interactive tutorial tools. Have you considered using this to make future interactive tutorials?

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2017/09/07/get-started-in-unity-with-interactive-tutorials/