Search Unity

Figuring out the 2D "Screen" coordinate system

Discussion in '2D' started by omatase, Aug 31, 2014.

1. omatase

omatase

I'm trying to better understand the 2D "screen" coordinate system in Unity. There's one particular problem I have been having that I can show as an example for one of the things I don't understand.

In this example I have a prefab that I'm dynamically instantiating. When I do it asks for a Vector3. Although getting my prefab centered works fine and seems to make sense, when I try to align the prefab flush with the top of the window I have some unexpected results. The prefab is the rectangular box near the top of the screen shown in this image below.

Here is the code I'm using.

Code (CSharp):
    1. int unityUnits = 100;
    3. Vector3 position = new Vector3((Screen.width / 2), (Screen.height) - ((TeamView.renderer.bounds.size.y * unityUnits) / 2), gameObject.layer);
    5. var newTeam = (GameObject)Instantiate(TeamView, Camera.main.ScreenToWorldPoint(position), Quaternion.identity);
    Appreciate any help!

2. velipekka

velipekka

Hi,

2D is using the same coordinate system as 3D in unity.
    All sprites are just set to zero depth by default when working on the 2D mode.

Here's a snippet that will set a sprite on top of the screen when using orthographic camera (default in 2D), and pivot point set to the centre of the Sprite.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Vector2 screenTopPosition = Camera.main.ViewportToWorldPoint(new Vector2(0.5f, 1));
    2. float spriteHeightHalved = renderer.bounds.extents.y;
    3. transform.position = new Vector2 (screenTopPosition.x, screenTopPosition.y - spriteHeightHalved);
    spriteHeightHalved is not needed if you set the pivot to top from importer / Sprite Editor.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    perracolabs and omatase like this.
  3. omatase

omatase

Thanks velipekka, that helped.