Search Unity

[fighting game] Kinetic Damage [Released]

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by n0mad, Mar 18, 2009.

?

Which real martial art would you love to master ?

1. Muay Thai

54 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Ninjutsu

76 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Taekwondo

35 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Tai Chi Chuan / Qi Gong Jin

22 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Jeet Kun Do

30 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Pencak Silat

8 vote(s)
    2.3%
  7. Boxing

22 vote(s)
    6.3%
  8. Shaolin Kung Fu

77 vote(s)
    22.0%
  9. I don't like martial arts / fighting games

26 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. toto2003

toto2003

congratulation nomad,
    je te souhaite tous le succes que tu merites pour le travail astronomique fournis, et surtout tes annees de devotion cela devait pas etre evident :)
    bonne chance pour la suite.
    sa va peter le 5 juin!!!!!! :)

2. User340

User340

@n0mad: Congratz on the approval. I am kind of curious about one thing though; what made you hold off on the release until Wednesday, 5th June? Isn't it just wasting time as you may be losing sales/downloads that you otherwise would have gotten?

3. monochromator

monochromator

Made an account here just to congrats on the approval. Your work is pure inspiration. In any case, do you plan to release some fighting game maker (asset store) based on KD? Just the framework is enough i think many of the user here will support you if you do release something like that. I for one will buy it from you even if it cost a G. Anyway thank you for being an inspiration for all this years. :)

4. sama-van

sama-van

Congrats man!

Prochaine etape > Character editor pour l'integration de nos assets 3D ^_^!!!

5. omurah

omurah

Je suis de tout coeur avec toi. Je vais faire passer le mot et surtout il me tarde de mettre la main dessus !

6. n0mad

n0mad

Merci les gars !! C'est bien cool tous ces messages, j'espère que vous allez aimer le jeu :)

@Daniel : I timed it to wednesday so it has more chances to appear on Apple's New Noteworthy bandwagon :)
    @monochromator : thank you ! :) The idea of releasing a basic framework from KD has crossed my mind several times, and I did receive some offers to license it a while back. I'm not opposed to the idea, but right now it would require a truckload of work to standardize the stuff. Even if I did the maximum to split every business code into different classes, to use as much virtual / override classes as possible, etc, there is still some deep optimization in the whole engine specially tailored around the way Kinetic Damage works. Right now I want to focus on "finishing" Kinetic Damage, as I still have a lot of ideas I would have wanted to put into the release, but couldn't because of a lack of time / money.
    But I might think about it in the future, sure :)

7. Jmonroe

Jmonroe

Congrats! Been following and inspired by your work since jan 2010. Cant wait to try it out Wednesday! Question: i know you intended free + single in app purchse for monetization... Have you implemented adverts to supplement free version? If not, why?

8. n0mad

n0mad

Thank you Jmonroe !
    I finally opted for the classical Lite + Full app, which is strategically better on iOS. Free + IAP unlock would have locked the app's visibility in Free games sections, which is more overcrowded than Paid section. Plus IAP was forcing me to use Asset Bundles, which required too much additional work for the benefit it would have given.

9. n0mad

n0mad

Kinetic Damage is OUT on iOS worldwide !

This good old thread can now be moved to Showcase section :)

10. nipoco

nipoco

Oh wow! Congrats mate!

Will grab it later!

11. marcos

marcos

Grabbed it. Congratulations on the release, mate! Must feel amazing.

12. n0mad

n0mad

Thanks you Marcos !
    Don't hesitate to give your feedback, I'm looking closely at how players feel about it, as I try to change the genre a bit :)

13. khilla2392

khilla2392

Hey n0mad,i have 2 characters (Marty McFly and Nick Fury) and i was planing to make a simple fighting game where x-punch; y-kick; a-guard; b-special and rb-tag (xbox controls). How do i go about this?

14. n0mad

n0mad

i'm sorry to say that there's no easy answer :)
    You can parse the whole thread to give you an idea about all the things to work on when making a fighting game, as I only covered the basics here (collisions, animations, AI, etc).

But you could try to create some prototype of your project, step by step, functionality after functionality, and make it grow over time :) Good luck !

15. golden_gate

golden_gate

This game is the best fighting game I have played on an iOS platform. I have played all of them , SFIV, Soul Calibur, KOF.
    What I have really notice is that the control system is very fluid.

I have voted that it be game on the week on the touch arcade forum. I hope others can take the time to play and vote too.
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=192140

Again great job and another win for Unity!

16. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Nomad... I must hand it to you...you kicked ass and stayed on the course... I give you praise, kudos... and I know this game will sell very well...

17. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

This is awesome! Playing it on my Ipad Mini! I tell you Ipad mini seems to be the perfect device to play this game! Play is super smooth.

Great work Nomad! This is going to be a huge hit!

18. golden_gate

golden_gate

@FlyingRobot,

I think you got a good point on the size with the mini... I played on iPAD and enjoyed it but want I really want is to play it on a Phablet...

19. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Yes, the controls just fits in both hands. Not too wide, not too close. Feels somewhere between a psp and an ipad.

20. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Downloading. :D

21. giyomu

giyomu

Congratulation pour le release !
    Je vais aller tester ca de ce pas !

bonne chance pour la suite ;)

22. n0mad

n0mad

Thank you guys !!

You can resize the HUD in the Pause menu anyway :)

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Big congratulations on this bad boy finally being released! I shall have to pick myself up a couple :)

24. n0mad

n0mad

Thank you Hippo, I hope you'll have some fun :)
    sidenote : I see that TOB has reach top5 in many countries during April (AppAnnie data), that's quite awesome !

25. golden_gate

golden_gate

Wow! good momentum for Kinetic Damage!
    http://bit.ly/124M3ho

Keep up the good work @nOmad... can't wait for multiplayer to play the international gaming community!

26. virror

virror

That was one very good review, will deserved!

27. nipoco

nipoco

Yes, it is a fun game. I love the damage system. Finally something fresh :)

28. toto2003

toto2003

i was wondering if you can share with us what went well and what went not so well during your development phase? i guess you ve been super busy with the release and the coming update, but i think your experience could be really precious for new developpers here ;)

cheers

29. Demigiant

Demigiant

I think we'll have to wait some time for a post mortem. Knowing (kindof) how things go, n0mad is either superbusy with the post-release stuff (which I suppose can drive you crazy), or taking a due vacation (I hope so, but I'm quite sure it's not the case :D). Also, a late post mortem will have even more informations, concerning also release stuff, so it will be even more interesting :)

30. n0mad

n0mad

Hi guys :)
    You're spot on, Izitmee, I'm currently overwhelmed by work (handling forum presence with players, working on the update, etc). I'd be definitely happy to write such a post-mortem, but when things will even out :)

31. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi,
    Congrats for the release. I have purchased the game and I like it.
    You have implemented the most important feature - you 've released it :)
    Kind regards,
    -Ippokratis

32. n0mad

n0mad

Thank you Ippo :)
    I hope Kinetic Damage will become bigger and bigger over time, because I still have a lot of ideas left. When multiplayer and Android version will be released, I will contact bigger studios to try to see if any is interested by investing in it for console versions.

33. toto2003

toto2003

i guess you re thinking porting it to xbox one and ps4 , nothing for ouya?
    that would be awesome to see that happen, but please change the icon, i think professional artist will critisize for such a icon, it s really hard to tell what happen on that icon, and even worst when it soo small, as your game disserve much more exposure.
    my 2 cents

34. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Holy S***...Phenomenal Job. Very inspiring to see in the Unity3D community. Keep up the fantastic work!!

35. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hows sales going on this bad boy? if they are low, never fear, it's all about exposure, keep at it and it will pick up and go steady - especially with multiplayer support and ports. I think a little rest might help too. Don't forget desktop + humble bundle :)

36. n0mad

n0mad

Actually I'm planning to port it on Android first, then the revenues will decide if I can invest in better graphics to make it happen on consoles. Once Multi Android are out though, I'll definitely approach big studios / publishers to talk about ways to make Kinetic Damage become a bigger project.

Thank you for your feedback Toto, the incoming Training Mode patch will indeed include a new icon ;)

Thanks SubZero :) Like written above, I really hope this will become something even bigger. I still got tons of ideas to bring to the table.

Hey Hippo ;-)
    They are quite low yeah, a dozen per day. But there's definitely a lack of exposure. There's also an estimated 98% piracy rate, based upon number of downloads on IPA sites. I understand these would not have necessarly been sales, but with such a high number, there would certainly have been some at least. Anyway, I'm not a zealot against piracy in this case, as it brings more exposure. And anyway the Multiplayer will logically lower that rate by a fair margin.

I'm craving for some rest yeah... Soon, soon :p

Thank you guys for your support !

37. rextr09

rextr09

I'm not a fan of fighting games, so I tried the lite version. (no lies :)) In general, I like the "feel" of fighting and how fluid it is. The controls are good too. But, the game lacks polish in menus and other stuff. Menu images are Iow-res on iPad3 and the sound of the woman talking is a bit ,umm, weird. Even the opening splash image is too much pixelated. So, in general it's like a technology demo of a great fighting game, rather than a finished game. Finally, I think one of the biggest reasons your sales are low is your icon. You really should change it. You have a great potential here. You should use it. Good luck!

38. voltage

voltage

I personally love fighting games and plan to build one myself. Piracy is certainly indefinite. I'm saddened to hear you're dealing with roughly 98%, your work deserves so much better. I love the ui and I'm astounded by the obvious amounts of effort and efficiency you plug in here. It's no surprise to me that a game like this truly required 4 years.

I'm not sure why, but I played with your lite version and it was very laggy for me. I was operating it on my Iphone 4. I know the last thing you must want to hear by now is performance errors, but I thought I'd inform you on my entire experience. Best of luck!

P.S., you inspire me to be one of the few and proud Unity Fighting game developers!

39. n0mad

n0mad

Hi Rextr, thank you for your feedback :)
    The menus are effectively not in iPad ready HD, because it would have required a different bundle. But I agree there is room for improvement here.
    You're also right about the icon, as other players have suggested. I will definitely pump it up to something more "fighty" in the next update.

A comment about the polishing level : as a one-man team, it took an unsual number of years to make, so I had to release it already before the concept could lose traction. Which explains why there had to be some kind of polish lacking at some parts. I prefered to focus on polishing gameplay, mechanics and animations (aka the core game), rather than ornaments (UI, menus, etc) where I restricted to simple designs.

That being said, my first objective is to hire a talented 3D artist to bring AAA models in a free update, when revenues will reach a sufficient ground (I'm far from there right now). But my intent is clearly to pump everything up over time, and that will mainly depend on purchases.

Hi voltage ! (no pun intended :p)
    Thank you for your kind words. Don't worry about that piracy rate. Yes it's kind of saddening in some way, but it's been like that for years, and we're all in the same boat after all. The only efficient stance we can have is to raise awareness on piracy consequences, like poor budget for future developments (especially for Indie games). That's why I'm just displaying a "please support" popup and a button linking to appstore if hacked version is detected. Nothing more. And anyway in a bigger picture, if a game is not financially succesful, that simply means it is not good enough, that's what I learned from reading tons of game review sites and financial results.

Any kind of feedback is valuable ;)
    Yes, there is a real problem with iPhone4 / iTouch 4 hardware on 3D games. Both devices are pumping a much higher resolution than what they can afford in term of hardware, to be short. So I will implement an option in next update to cut resolution by half.
    Also, be sure to try to lower details in the Options menu (Title screen), and turn off post process effects.

Welcome to the pit, my friend :) I wish you best of luck too, and most of all : do never, ever give up, and keep focusing only on one game project until release ;)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  40. meta87

meta87

Just picked this up and I'm lovin it! Lots of fun! The controls are very responsive and all the different fighting styles are way cool :D I like the damage system concept a lot as well. Left you a review, best of luck.

41. n0mad

n0mad

Thank you Meta ! I really appreciate :)
    I'm working hard right now to bring multiplayer asap.
    I wish you the best on your project aswell !

42. Sooshi

Sooshi

Congratulations on your release and reviews!!

43. n0mad

n0mad

Thank you Sooshi :)

44. n0mad

n0mad

45. Archania

Archania

Any word on the android version? Would really like to get this for my galaxy note 2.

46. n0mad

n0mad

Hi Archania,
    I'm currently getting multiplayer done, which is the biggest, hardest coding task I ever faced in my life, basically :p
    Once it's finished, I will release Kinetic Damage to Android platforms, and later on, to Windows Phone.

Thanks for your interest,
    Best regards
    Ben

47. MABManZ

MABManZ

Are you using any of the 3rd party networking solutions? I'm currently developing a fighting game myself and have been experimenting a little w/ some of the network solutions out there. Will you be doing any type of matchmaking?

48. n0mad

n0mad

I built my very own solution, as rollbacking does need code intrications that are very specific to each game framework. Plus it helps in optimizing data compression. I wrote a quick overview of rollbacking some pages ago, for reference.
    Matchmaking will be basic at first, as I don't have implemented a point system yet. So you'll just have a list of players with the most optimized ping :)

49. hellcaller

hellcaller

Hi n0mad, Congrats with release ! I'm making beat'em up prototype, can u suggest me how to implement hit detection? The only thing that is in my head is putting triggers on fists and feet detect if thay triggered character controller and what animation was played during the hit to apply appropriate damage and animation. Thanx.

50. n0mad

n0mad

Hi HellCaller,
    You can find different approaches here : http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/19...eleased/page12?p=734968&viewfull=1#post734968
    And here : http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/19...eleased/page15?p=877524&viewfull=1#post877524

I finally chosed the more complex, but more performance effcient one, based on baking all colliders anims into Animation Curves.
    Good luck with your project !

Ben