Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback on name for a god game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xSt3v3n5onx, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xSt3v3n5onx

xSt3v3n5onx

Hi All,

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section.

I'm currently creating a god game where the player is put in the role of a god who starts the game with their empty universe and the idea of the game is to create Galaxies, Solar Systems,Planets and you can manage each respectively with the aim of the game being to create life and guide it through its journey of evolution and civilization. You will take your life forms from their early cell stage right through to becoming intelligent space fairing beings and perhaps even further?.

I'm still quite early on with the games concept and have been trhowing a few names for it around and just wanted some feedback from you guys on some names. Being that the games main focus is on creation and god like activity the title needs to be something appropriate to this, I have a few latin words for creation/creator that are as follows:

Genitor - Latin word meaning: Ancestor, Creator, Father - Again Nice ring to it but not sure if the father/creator is about a humans or being father because of the "Ancestor" part.

Principium - Latin word meaning: "that which is first" or "an origin/beginning" - This one has less to do with actual creators or gods but has the nicest ring to it I think.

Godan - The Latin word for where "God" originated from - To close to Peter Molyneux's "Godus" for me.

Deus - This was what the christian god was commonly refered to in Latin - Again though, Deus Ex...........

Any feedback or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Andy

2. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

lemme get this straight. The game is just an idea atm? why are you so concerned with the name? it should be up there in the 'of least concern' category. The game idea itself sounds like it would be a lot of work. Enough that it probably wont even get finished. Hard to know what the exact scope you have in mind is... maybe im reading too far into it.

Give it an internal name... "godmode", then finish the game, or get it 70% complete, then worry about the trivial subject of its name.

3. jpthek9

jpthek9

Yup. Write the book after you have the pages (when you write the book in pen - this metaphor kinda breaks down when you use a word processor).

4. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Going with other languages is definitely a good way to get a cool name easily. Maybe just put god on google translate and find something you like. If you want to go with japanese I recommend romaji.me because translation services tend to not give romaji.

Just remember to do 1 word at a time because you never know when having multiple words will alter the grammar. Some services try to force some kind of grammar when there's more than 1 word so you don't get a literal translation of each word.

5. elmar1028

elmar1028

God Simulator 2015: Galaxy n' Stuff

Tomnnn likes this.
  6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Say the names out loud. With a 12 year old boy. That should eliminate at least one of your names.

But for now I agree with @JamesLeeNZ . Get a working title. God simulator will do. A real name will suggest itself in development of play testing.

Pond Wars was called Buoyancy for most of its development cycle.

Jarbi-James and Ryiah like this.
  7. xSt3v3n5onx

xSt3v3n5onx

Wow..........first comment, Patronize much? This is exactly whats wrong with this community everyone is always condescending to each other, Who are you to tell me this project wont get finished? have you read my Game design doc? no so I would appreciate if you could stick to the subject topic. I posted this in the general discussion as I wanted some feedback on the names I was going with. Whether my project was viable or not was not the question. These sort of sarky replies are exactly what puts me off engaging in this community.

8. elmar1028

elmar1028

Name of your game is least thing you need to be concerned about. You have a Game Design Document? Good! You should've said that in the first place because 90% of people ask for a useless feedback like "Name of the project" and in the end don't get the job done. Community have seen hundreds of people who don't have a GDD, so people just assumed you don't have overall idea.

People are right though. Give your project some sort of alias for now while you get basic design and mechanics down.

9. darkhog

darkhog

How about Your Maker, as in "after death you'll meet your maker"?

Tomnnn likes this.
  10. xSt3v3n5onx

xSt3v3n5onx

I give up......I understand and appreciate what you are saying, But! All I asked for was feedback on these names i didn't ask when I should be naming it or to be spoken to as if i have no experience in game design. I have so few post in the community because its always like this. I thank you Elmar because you didn't feel the need to subtly insult me in your replies.

11. ippdev

ippdev

Cosmocrator. Evolver. Germination. Space Seed. Crevolver. Genesist. Pay no mind to those who doubt your abilities. It will only get in your way.. "You will never be a famous artist"..well maybe that ain't the frikkin' goal. Maybe the goal is to do art for it's own sake.

12. drewradley

drewradley

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Wait until you finish your game and try to get it on the market. What people say will make you long for the good old days of being trolled by JamesLee. Better get used to it or, as you say, "give up" completely.

Kiwasi likes this.
  13. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Giving up is never the answer! Except for when it is. Is it?

14. Ryiah

Ryiah

We are sticking to the topic. We are providing feedback on choosing a name. Our feedback is that you're doing it too early.

Out of those four names though, the only one worth considering is "Principium". The last two are not original enough and the first one could very easily be altered to "genital" (like BoredMormon was hinting at).

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    Kiwasi likes this.
  15. ippdev

ippdev

I think naming something prior gives a hat and handle to hang your mechanics and artworks on. So "we" are not "all" giving the same advice.

16. Ryiah

Ryiah

A working title would fill this role just as easily as the shipping title.

17. ippdev

ippdev

Agreed. I always have a name for my projects since I was a toddler. Works great for me. I have a too huge catalog of imagery and techniques in my head and a good name nails down the section of the catalog to browse for inspiration.

Ryiah likes this.
  18. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

If you want to impress the community put up a prototype. An idea and a GDD mean nothing.

You've proposed a scope so big that no one who has yet tried it has succeeded. And some big names have tried. So forgive us for being a little skeptical.

The general tone of the advice, use a working title until you are close to market, is sound.

ostrich160, jpthek9 and Ryiah like this.
  19. Whippets

Whippets

Genitor sounds like a game about penises or something

20. elmar1028

elmar1028

Since you need feedback on names:

1) Genitor
    Or Janitors....

21. jpthek9

jpthek9

@xSt3v3n5onx Don't be let down. Go on making your game but with a better plan in mind.

22. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Choose a working title as a placeholder, and build your game. When you come up with a better title, change to the new title. There is nothing wrong with choosing a simple working title to use during early development. For example, the game I am currently working on was named "Shiloh Space Game" for the first several months of development. I used that name as a place holder until I came up with the title that I liked.

As you develop your game, you will come up with a new title that makes sense. Until then, choose a simple place holder title and get back to work on your game. For now, call your game "Andy God Game".

Ryiah likes this.
  23. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

@elmar1028 a janitor who steals the genitals of his victims.

elmar1028 likes this.
  24. jpthek9

jpthek9

Uses them in cleaning ingredients.

elmar1028 likes this.
  25. elmar1028

elmar1028

To craft better tools

26. jpthek9

jpthek9

To ultimately create a biologically self-reproducing android army.

27. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Hence the reference to biological reproduction in the game title.

jpthek9 likes this.
  28. jpthek9

jpthek9

Introducing... Terminator Genitor

29. jpthek9

jpthek9

@xSt3v3n5onx Sorry this thread got kinda trolled. It happens a lot to game concept threads because, well, I'm not sure exactly why. I guess it's just that everyone has great ideas but few of them ever materialize, so asking for feedback on your idea is kind of like poking at that harsh reality nobody wants to accept.

On the other hand, if you make a prototype and show us, you'll be inspiring hope in people that good ideas can and do materialize. Just my little bit on psych right there.

In all seriousness, all ideas can be made into good games. The execution is what's most important and that's what you should show us. Your idea might call for a pretty big game, but even a small prototype showing 2 of the characters will give us enough to give you back solid feedback.

You just posted a bunch of names which, to be honest, don't matter. Most players couldn't care less about what a name sounds like or from where it derives as long as the name is consistent with the game's world. If you really do want to storycraft your game with others' feedback, look for storycrafting forums or something.

Ryiah likes this.
  30. Ryiah

Ryiah

There are two basic reasons in my opinion. The value in a game isn't really with the idea but rather the implementation itself. This leads us to the second problem. Most people who have excessively big dream games don't tend to get very far.

We're being asked for feedback on a title for an idea. He complained that our community tends to be condescending, but I feel like he would have had a similar reception on most game development sites.

jpthek9 and Kiwasi like this.
  31. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

With the exception of Peter Molyneux, any one in game dev would say this scope is too big for a single game. It would take an established, skilled team years and millions of dollars to build.

So obviously the first and most important hurdle to solve is the name... Can't develop the ultimate epic game without a name. Is it any wonder people don't take you seriously?

The next posts will be "now I just need someone to code it for me, revenue shares offered."

Ryiah likes this.
  32. goat

goat

How about,

"I'm not hungry?"

33. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Where do I decline? :p

34. Ryiah

Ryiah

Or with the exception of Will Wright as the game being described is essentially Spore.

Kiwasi likes this.
  35. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Good point. And considering both of these are experienced, big name designers, and both of them failed. I think I'm fairly justified in saying it's an impossible scope for the guy who thinks the name is worth consulting on this early on.

36. Ryiah

Ryiah

Last edited: May 31, 2015
    Tomnnn and Kiwasi like this.
  37. Amon

Amon

xSt3v3n5onx will never finish this game. Why? Because I said so. I control him. He is a just a puppet and I'm pulling the strings. He has no mind of his own. He has no clue what to do game wise and the dream of his god game got to his head to such an extent that his first post on this forum, supposedly, was to dumbass the forum in to helping find a name for this god game that will never be started let alone finished. Not only that, the community in his mind is wrong and as a whole is the scurge of forum societies and should be wiped out completely. Individuals who dared to post in his thread which is more important than every other thread should be burned to death, then killed until they die from it, including myself.

Why? Because we are all peices of S*** and we dared to have an opinion of our own and use it to converse in his thread where the rules were that no person can post anything unless it is accepted by xSt3v3n5onx and is to do with wiping his noobie ass, kissing it and telling him everything he wants to hear.

Nothing like that happened though. Why? Because we are all sad bastards and we should be beaten and chained to a starving Lion for daring to post our thoughts, opinions or criticisms of the noname god game that will never be.

38. jpthek9

jpthek9

The same starving lion? And which side? Personally, I'd like the back for obvious reasons.

39. Amon

Amon

I don't answer or reply to questions asked to me by red sheep. They scare me. Why are they red? Where's the black sheep gone. If I were a farmer and because of your abnormal wool colour i would put you first in line at the slaughte.................wots that red dot on my ches.....................................

40. jpthek9

jpthek9

Butbutbut the red sheep is symbolic :(

41. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Sheep can be painted for several reasons. Most often its in support of the local sports teams. But occasionally its in support of breast cancer (that would be pink, not red). There is also the occasional farming related reason to paint them red.

Ryiah likes this.
  42. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Symbolic of nothing. The sheep is red because it's covered in the blood of its brethren!

The reasons are heartwarming, but the image itself makes me want to go, "BoredMormon, you monster!".

Ryiah likes this.
  43. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yes, there are two reasons, which are, specifically:

1) The farmer is very bored.
    2) The farmer has a surplus of red paint and has painted everything else red, so why not the sheep too.

--Eric

44. jpthek9

jpthek9

Story of mai life.

45. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

No need to get all uppity because I told you a truth. Name is important, but only when you have a product to demonstrate.

Its funny I'm considered a 'forum troll' (lol). I looked through my last 400 posts recently to determine how much of a troll I was. There were only about 10 posts in total that were 'trollish'. maybe 2-3 that had a true trololol intention. If you think my original post was me trolling, you couldnt be more wrong. If you dont like harsh truth, dont become a game dev, because its what some people give. I dont sugar coat anything to stop a user feeling butthurt. If I tell you done good, you can be sure as sh*t, you done GOOD! ;)

And if you dont like it, add me to your ignore list. Problem solved.

Kiwasi likes this.
  46. jpthek9

jpthek9

I think Whippets was the source troll here.

47. Ryiah

Ryiah

Not to mention the death threats people tend to get when they develop a popular game and want to make a change not everyone is in agreement with.

48. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

true that... if i got really big, I would completely disassociate myself from every link to the game.

49. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

end

Tomnnn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.