Search Unity

Fantasy MMORPG Project

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by YoungDeveloper, Dec 30, 2014.

1. YoungDeveloper

YoungDeveloper

After Update 2, i figured i've done enough to create my thread in Unity Community.

I am developing fantasy mmo rpg, which is top down adventure game.
    Currently i am programming the base for it to be functional for basic needs.
    Such as leveling, fighting, quests and npcs, considering all optimizations and other background things of course.
    After the base is done i will work on graphics part, story, game experience and it's philosophy itself.

IndieDB

UPDATES

Custom Server [Krüger] [17.04.2015]
    Couple months ago i started working on my own server, i had my reasons why i chose to do it. In fact i never believed i would be able to succeed to some playable demo state. In couple days i had my first prototype, simple single client to server chat. Slowly learned how make server and unity talk to each other. I started working on Server API after that, so i wouldn't have to bind it to specific Unity project.
    I made fresh project as transferring current server implementation to my own would be impossible.
    So after months, i got my first desired results, which is the remade movement sync for my project.

After that i wanted to make some stress test with NPCs, to at last feel the break from standard 100 CCU.
    I made that NPC can count as actual player (CCU) and not.

After some time, it was ready.
    10'000 NPCs streamed and synced from server.

Update Nr. 2 [31.12.2014]
    Many things have changed since the last update.

Worth mentioning changes:
    *Game structure has been completely remade and rewrote.
    *Game decisions are made by server, using server sided authoritative approach, which excludes unauthorized decision making, content hacking and other, many things.
    *Server runs logic grid, which loads content to players only they need.
    *Software and net-code is highly optimized.
    *Everything is saved and stored in database.
    *Network bandwidth usage is very, very low.
    *This current version is very stable and already can run thousands of players without any problems, keeping the network bandwidth usage at lowest.

Status Update [26.12.2014]

Status Update

Status Update [14.09.2014]
    Personal Message and other chat filters enabled.

Status Update [10.09.2014]
    • Rewrote to new network platform, actual server
    • Account creation
    • Multiple Hero creation
    • Write/read to db only twice per player session.
    • Correct - optimized movement sync
    • Movement type sync (walk / run)
    • You can't cheat, nor towards hero creation, nor movement, banned instantly.

This already could handle couple hundred players without a problem. But there are still some critical optimizations to be made.

Actually i already finished inventory and trading. But that and many other stuff will be in next video update.

Multiplayer Test Nr. 2

Update Nr. 1
    Multiplayer Test Nr. 1 [Video]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    erenaydin likes this.
  2. k1mset

k1mset

Pretty cool, keep at it. Not many ever complete a MMO, let alone with Unity.

3. YoungDeveloper

YoungDeveloper

Thanks, you are right, it is very challenging and hard to create correctly built MMO game.
    I will continue to work very hard on this.

4. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

Everytime I see a "MMORPG" thread appear I roll my eyes thinking it's yet another person saying he's going to make an mmorpg without actually showing anything yet... Glad to see you already have something to show and it looks really nice so far :) Keep up the good work!

5. YoungDeveloper

YoungDeveloper

Thank you very much!

6. YoungDeveloper

YoungDeveloper

Update Server [17.04.2015]