Search Unity

Fallen Spirit - RPG

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Deleted User, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Ocid

Ocid

Wheres the thumbs up icon or like button when you need it.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks everyone.

3. lazygunn

lazygunn

Sad to see the switch needed, but I can understand, things like the 32bit editor, still, there aren't really any words

Hope it all comes together and you keep posting progress here, i've been following it on and off.

Out of curiosity, how does Unigine fare as I don't see it come up all that much - its main claim to be interesting to me is my love for the look of Cradle? No interest in much but Unity myself however but it must be said the Unity 5 announcement was a good one, cause Unreal 4 really does look tempting - doesn't have the stuff I need though and i'm a one man team (Although fun recent development means I might get council funding which is exciting)

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well it's not cut and dry for the moment, we are MUCH further into development with Unity than we are with Unreal. So it all depends on Unity 5.0 really as to what happens.. A lot of textures / materials will be swapped out when Quixel gets released and a lot of it will be overhauled..

As for Unigine, I didn't give it a proper test to be honest. I got Unreal 4 shortly after our trial and started messing around with that instead :).

5. lazygunn

lazygunn

I really love it when I see that word around, saw it not so much initially but picking up steam, wondered when it was going to be more openly 'hey guy have you seen this yet?'.

nDo's been a workhorse for ages since v1, i never really looked at dDo, got some recently produced training i hope to watch tomorrow during ridiculous shader compilation times. The upcoming tools are just gonna change everything. I blew stupid money on Vitality Bulgarovs Black Phoenix kitbash set just in anticipation, it's going to be a lot of fun and a lot of artists are going to be made very happy. I'm expecting indie subs for megascans to be reasonable too, these are exciting times

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

I was avoiding doing this for a long time, this is based on an old NVIDIA tech demo I managed to get it ported into Unity.

Whilst I were at it I upgraded the crystal shaders and did a few tweaks here and there.

TOD and water system:

Attached Files:

7. Goregaming

Goregaming

Followed, This looks very good. I like the concepts and the amazing level design. This has great potential, keep it up guys!!

8. SmellyDogs

SmellyDogs

And yet another promising project bites the dust.

Try Unigine. I actually found it easier to use than Unity. (Well maybe not everything is easier but doing the low level stuff is easier). Plus its not a drastically different way of thinking like UE4.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Not down and out yet, albeit Unity at the moment isn't making life easy but we are at the cusp of Unity 5.0 so things could change dramatically quickly. I will check out Unigine properly when I have the chance, thanks.

10. lazygunn

lazygunn

I recognise the Nvidia water, how 'controllable' is it? Does it refrect wind changes and turbulence and react to shorelines. My own prize water is based on scrawks water which is based on Eric Bruneton's work for INRIA, powered by a compute shader for FFT calculations, has choppiness and foam generation but is very hard to make react to shorelines or have the wind and conditions affect it properly - it is beautiful though, works with a preetham model sky by nature to create a proper brdf for the water surface, i edited the actual surface shader for nearby effects like transparency at shallow water and approximate extinction levels thanks to the collaboration with the Suimono writer but it very much is a work in process. The source is very much open to look at if you have suimono, in case youre interested and wether youre open to it id love to see your nvidia port.

One thing I can definitely recommend which isnt much to do with me is Brunetons water, with choppiness, being used in a unity port of Bruneton and others development of Proland which is both tidy as hell and technically marvellous - as a world simulator I dont know how it would fit into your work but you may find it very interesting

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

No I've got nowhere near the rest of that yet, just needed a baseline for the world building portion. The whole point is to eventually replicate CryEngines water in Unity (or thereabouts) but it's no mean feat. I have a working example in another engine, but I'm limited by how the compiler seems to have a fit with what is mainly pure OpenGL code and trying to get around the GL version. I should really try and learn shaderlab..

I've used the suimono water, it's ok.. Needs a lot of work to get a more realistic edge to it. But it's good as a base point to learn how it's done in Unity.

Could you PM with some links?

12. CarterG81

CarterG81

Really nice looking game.

Deleted User likes this.
  13. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Looks pretty good already. I have faith Unity 5 will close the graphics gap with other engines!

Deleted User likes this.
  14. FreeSide Games

FreeSide Games

Hey, nice looking game but one problem.

It seems all you do is graphics, is there any story line? Cut scenes, quests? progression?? Nice cave but how are you going to innovate from other RPG'S?
    If i was designing this game i would of stopped making graphics and playing with lighting long time ago, it is kinda like opening notepad, sitting there for 1 week playing with the front and than finally typing something.

Every developer needs to know this "How is my RPG going to innovate?".

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

Of course we have cut scenes and of course there is a story line, one which were keeping quite close to heart until the demo is released. We'll still be tweaking graphics a month before actual release, but it doesn't get any priority over the combat system / UI / story etc. It's just unfortunate that making a game look good (especially in Unity) takes a long time.

Also making a large open world requires a lot to fill it :).

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

All asset packs will get replaced (sooner or later) we just need to a place where we are happy with the game first.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
  17. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

What's wrong with using assets from the *Asset* Store? I sort of figured that's what you would do with them. I'm also not sure how they could be both from the Asset Store *and* pirated at the same time...

Lastly - you have to respect the shader and lighting work that went into these because I'm fairly certain the assets on the store don't look like that out of the box.

Deleted User likes this.
  18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I deleted his post for unfounded accusations and frankly, slander. I don't want to see it again directed toward respected members who have zero pirated assets.

19. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Looks crappy, please get better Shadow.

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

You're a numpty Khelton, but I love you all the same.

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

So as for the artwork deal, we are slowly stripping / modding / creating artwork with DDO and Megascans now things are on a roll. Quick example (I suppose this is a WIP thread anyway) we have a brazier / fire pit..

It started out it's life like this as part of an asset pack:

screenshot2.jpg

Ended up like this:

screen01.png

Multiply that by a metric ton of new and modified meshes, the game looks nothing like it originally did. (Still very early stages of messing around with PBR and NDO workflow).

sandboxgod and Ocid like this.
  22. Ocid

Ocid

You got access to 5.0 beta or are you testing them in UE4 first?

23. Deleted User

Deleted User

At the moment we use CryEngine for level design then try and mimic it in Unity.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2014
  24. Velo222

Velo222

Seriously man, how do you do this kind of stuff. You must teach me the ways :)

I love that water. Is your most recent water image in Unity, or in UE4? My first experience with a water asset I bought had me noticing how bad the water reacts where it meets up with edges of rocks or shoreline -- that is to say, it doesn't react at all lol.

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

It just takes time reverse engineering demo's from the likes of Nvidia then try and improve on them, checking through siggraph papers. I'm not re-inventing the wheel just trying to find our own flavour of wheel? Probably not the best analogy but you get the point :).

Things like this really help:

http://www.3dality.co.uk/Downloads/TrueDepth.jpg

Probably not right to update this thread with what we've done in UE4, so I won't.

26. piluve

piluve

\0/ coooool :D

27. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Still waiting for the game..

Deleted User likes this.
  28. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

What is up with this game? Thought I'd drop in for an update

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

Will be doing a video on the Unreal forums hopefully January.

30. zenGarden

zenGarden

I thaught UT5 could do it ?

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

Could do what? :) Some projects switched months ago, no looking back now.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2015
  32. zenGarden

zenGarden

ok

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  33. Nubz

Nubz

Just thought I would ask how this is going now.
    No pressure just curious

Too nice looking to get lost under a zillion pages.
    Looks like things I couldn't even imagine doing for the next 100 years haha.

Best of luck on this project and I can't wait to get my hands on a demo or video to see what its looks like inside.

34. zenGarden

zenGarden

You'll have to look on UE4 forums to seek some news i think.
    I'm curious and would like also to see some news, and some comments about workflow, differences, pros and cons compared to Unity at final.

35. Velo222

Velo222

Sad times, ShadowK switched :(

Actually, I'm curious what the reason was for switching to Unreal? I'm personally not devoted to one engine or the other, so it makes no difference to me, but I will miss ShadowK posts if he's less active on these forums now.

36. Nubz

Nubz

Read the thread he explains it more than once.

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Velo222 I suppose things have changed now with Unity 5.0, but it's still far simpler to develop in UE4 than it is Unity for us. Most projects don't require what we need and as Unity is pretty locked in areas, I think we require too much of them..

@Nubz

Thanks for the kind words, I think it might be in-appropriate to show progress on our UE4 work on a Unity forum. So it'll be quieter around here for now :).

UE4 enabled us to build a bigger world, at the moment we have 2X chunks of 20Km2 terrain to fill so mainly focusing back on artwork again. After that, just a matter of finishing off the combat system and UI..

38. Nubz

Nubz

Oh that's fine I just happen to stumble across this thread and was very impressed by some of the artwork I saw and it got me interested to read it all.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  39. zenGarden

zenGarden

40. antislash

antislash

interesting...... witch engine are you working on ATM ?
    if you want a ready to use high quality then go Cryengine, been one year on it, i just love it.
    but you'll need good devs as CE is not as easy scriptside as U5 is.
    did you ever try to put your own character in cryengine ? i did and lost some hair....
    good luck and keep the good work !

41. Deleted User

Deleted User

A customised version of UE4, I used CE for 2 years.. Never again....!

42. antislash

antislash

okay lol, too bad CE is beautiful but you have to have a complete dev team already.
    and the lack of shaders is frustrating.
    best of luck