Search Unity

Failed to load scene because its serialized file version is higher than Unity's

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Happy-Zomby, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Happy-Zomby

Happy-Zomby

Hello,
    I'm getting the following error after a Windows 10 crash
    "Failed to load 'Assets/IntroLevel.unity' because its serialized file version is higher than what this version of Unity supports."
    Any pointers on solving this issue?
    Notes:
    As shown in below printscreen, Unity is up to date.
    I re-imported all assets and rebooted PC to no avail.

versionIssue.jpg

Thanks a lot,

2. jfullernz

jfullernz

Just had the same problem myself, for the same reason.
    Windows 10 crashed, and upon reloading I am unable to open my project due to the same error.
    I haven't downgraded or anything so not sure how it can be a higher version that saved.
    Is there a manual way to adjust the serialized file version?

3. reocwolf

reocwolf

Same thing here. Unity went completely stupid on me. It also created an infinite recursive file that keeps making more copies of itself inside itself and can't be deleted. I made a copy of the project without that file but still have this one big problem. Because a lot of progress had been done in the last few hours after the backup.

4. entropicjoey1

entropicjoey1

I'm having the same issue:( can't find any answers on this anywhere

5. sheaffyy

sheaffyy

Yep same problem here, win10 crashed and now the scene wont load. very annoyed. any sollutions?

6. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Has anyone managed to file a bug with a project that causes this issue?

7. RichCodes

RichCodes

Just got this error. My power supply was interrupted while my project was being built for wsa universal 10 (on a windows 10 machine). The scene that had been open had this error when I reopened the project.

@karl.jones. To replicate, create a project with at least one saved scene on a Windows 10 machine. Have that scene open, do something to set it dirty. Start a build to WSA, and when it is building the scene in question, pull the power cord out of the wall.

It doesn't seem to need a specific project to cause the issue, or maybe I'm just (un)lucky.

@everyone else. Since you have Windows 10, turn on file history. Next time you can navigate to the scene file, and restore to the last saved copy of the scene file. Since I save constantly, this meant no work lost. Switching to the WSA target is what had set my scene dirty. This time, your probably out of luck for now.

8. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Can you put this into a bug report please.

9. RichCodes

RichCodes

Sure.

karl_jones likes this.
  10. KingAcorn85

KingAcorn85

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am having the same problem and can't find any answers.

11. RichCodes

RichCodes

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be one. Instead of having a "saved" version of the scene that can be restored if something goes wrong with the "working" copy, Unity apparently does it all in the same file. So things like loss of power will corrupt the open scene file. At least that is the gist I got from support.

So basically, even though I didn't have any unsaved changes, the scene just being open makes it corruptible upon power loss.

The only real answer is source control, even for the little test projects on the weekend. (Purchasing a battery backup also made me feel better).