Search Unity

Fade from texture 1 to texture 2 for entire level (built ouf of cubes) - how can it be done ?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Acumen, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Acumen

Acumen

Hello there everybody,

so we are working on a little game that uses a modular approach in terms of level design.
    A level is built of nothing but 1x1x1unit meshes with 1 self-illuminated material applied.

Our idea
    What we would like to do is the following. Similar to the game ZigZag we would like to fade between different textures and are wondering what kind of "trick" we would need to pull. We were not sure whether this is something a shader would be capable of or whether it's even easier/more advanced thing to pull of.

What we would like to have
    So basically we want to be able to fade from texture 1 to texture 2 for the entire level (since it all uses the same base mesh), then fade from texture 2 to texture 4, and so on. The entire level that is seen should be affected.

This video shows the kind of fade effect we want to achieve:

Any help or direction / pointers would be greatly appreciated :)
    Thanks a ton

2. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

Is that a Lighting effect or a Shader trick? :p

3. Acumen

Acumen

I don't know. Keep in mind, we want to do this with actual textures, so the effect on there we could achieve if the mesh would only be colored, but we want to do this with a texture, so the images might be a bit misleading in the first place :)

4. Demigiant

Demigiant

Voilà, sample package attached (requires Unity 5 and uses DOTween—ah, obviously—for the animation) :)
    Also includes a custom shader (which I found online—can't remember the link).

CrossfadeTextures_compressed.gif

EDIT: P.S. if you want to fade the textures throughout the whole level, just replace material with sharedMaterial in the example (but beware, that will change the actual textures even in the project).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    codestage and Acumen like this.
  5. Acumen

Acumen

This is superawesome Daniele.
    Akos implemented it and it works like a charm. Can't wait to get the next build in my hands.
    So so so good :D
    Once again you're my saviour !!

6. Zicandar

Zicandar

If your idea is as simple as the example it might be enough simply having a global color and ignoring textures :) (Or making them greyscale and then adding color).

7. dogfacedesign

dogfacedesign

Thanks, mate! That's exactly what I needed! Will give this a go tonight and see how it works.

Cheers.