Search Unity

Fabric v2.0 - Audio Toolset

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tazman, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Tazman

Tazman

Tazman-Audio announces Fabric v2.0 audio toolset.​

Fabric provides a plethora of audio features and custom user interfaces that allow developers to design great audio entirely within unity.

It's nested component hierarchy allows users to create complex audio structures. Together with its event based system Fabric reduces the dependency on programmers giving more power to the sound-designers to work independently. This saves time and therefore money.

The latest version brings:

• A powerful timeline multi-track component that allows layering and crossfading a number of sounds together, linking the timeline and volume/pitch curves with game parameters.

• A new dynamic mixer component allows developers to use multiple mix presets and change the audio balance of the game during play.

• Volume meter and side chain components making it easier to let important audio elements cut through the mix.

Along with numerous interface and workflow enhancements the latest version of Fabric provides the best audio toolset currently available in unity without the need for integrating external plugins, making it ideal for web browser games.

Fabric v2.0 is planned for release end of April on a new license structure. An evaluation copy will be available upon request.

For more information visit our website: www.tazman-audio.co.uk
    or email us at: sales@tazman-audio.co.uk.

2. PolyMad

PolyMad

Looks damn cool :p

3. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Could you please provide the screenshots at 100 percent resolution, I have a hard time seeing whats is there. thanks

4. Tazman

Tazman

5. theotherstudio13

theotherstudio13

FINALLY !! looking forward to more details ...email sent

6. quartz3d

quartz3d

I have been working with Tazman and using Fabric for the past few months on my studio's latest project. Put simply, there's no way we could have done what we needed to do in the timeframe given without Fabric. Fabric v2.0, in my opinion, provides the same creative flexibility and power as FMOD or Wwise, except it's all done within Unity (which means it allows for seamless integration into any supported Unity platforms). I cannot recommend this product enough for Unity developers, especially those looking to incorporate high-quality adaptive audio into their projects.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  7. Patapouffe

Patapouffe

Hi!

Does this work on iOS and Android ? Is the performance good when using it on mobiles ?

8. quartz3d

quartz3d

One of the really awesome things about Fabric is that it uses the built-in audio engine of Unity. So, Fabric can be used for on any platform that Unity supports (including iOS and Android). The performance is totally based on how many audio assets you have loaded into RAM, but you can load and unload assets during runtime using prefabs, which means you only need to have audio assets you need at that point in the game loaded into memory.

9. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

So what about us folk who already invested in Fabric? Free upgrade or what?

Be disappointed if not, especially since we never really got the old version working quite right.

David

10. Tazman

Tazman

Hi David,

This is a very good point... I was planning to mention about existing Fabric users when v2.0 was released. All users will be able to upgrade to this version for free.

Sorry we didn't manage to get to the bottom of the issue you were having with the old version...There have been a lot of changes and fixes in v2.0 so its hopefully sorted now... I will give you acces to the latest version the usual way.

Taz

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  11. Tazman

Tazman

12. Tazman

Tazman

Boss Alien released today CSR Racing, an amazing looking game that has its audio powered by Fabric :)

http://fb.me/1wa5ocopL

13. Tazman

Tazman

Version 2.1.3 of Fabric is now available

This version brings:

- Ability to preview fabric components in the editor.

- New DSP component allows to declare Unity effects anywhere in the Fabric hierarchy.

- New, sample accurate, "switch on transition" support added to switch component. Ideal for creating interactive music.

- Flash support.

- A number of bug fixes, UI and performance improvements.

To request an evaluation copy email us at: sales@tazman-audio.co.uk

14. Tazman

Tazman

Version 2.1.4 of Fabric is now available

This version brings:

- Added new Blend Component
    - Added probability parameter in event trigger
    - Changed all collections to use their generic versions (ready for Win8 Metro)
    - Added support in switch component to wait until the end before switch is handled.
    - Added transition offset in sequence component
    - Added switch types (SwitchOnPlay, SwitchOnEnd, SwitchOnSwitch) in switch component.
    - Added RegisterGameObject event action
    - Fixed timeline UI issues
    - Fixed dynamic mixer fade transitions

To request an evaluation copy email us at: evaluation@tazman-audio.co.uk

15. S0ULART

S0ULART

Is it possible to communicate between Tazman and Playmaker ?

16. Tazman

Tazman

Hi S0ULART,

Fabric provides its own event based system so it should be very easy to have them communicating with each other....

I don't have a copy of Playmaker but looking at their documentation I would expect that all you have to do is to write your own custom action with attributes that map to Fabric events and actions (i.e. play, stop, set pitch, set volume etc)

Taz

17. S0ULART

S0ULART

Thank you for the reply :)
    Hmm the only problem ist that Im coming from an artistic background with nearly non programming skills, so I dont have any clue how to achieve this :(
    Maybe I can access Tazman parameters through "Get/Set Property" function in Playmaker?
    Or just make Tazman Sound Prefabs and use them further in Playmaker State machines?
    Those would be my two ideas..hmm

18. Poxican

Poxican

I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with linking it to PlayMaker. I've not used PlayMaker myself yet, but I'm interested in it for further projects...

19. paraself

paraself

Sent twice email to all those address requesting a evaluation/academic version, But no one reply me. Could you kindly double check your email or just PM me;) Thanks

20. Tazman

Tazman

Hi paraself,

Sorry for not replying .. your emails somehow ended up into the wrong folder.

Taz

21. bitbutter

bitbutter

Great product!

A couple of quick questions:
    1. What does the new Blend component do?
    2. If I wanted to create a continuous background drone, made out of multiple sound clips that play in random sequence, crossfading into each other when switching to the next clip, would this be possible to achieve with the current components in fabric? (and if so which components should i be looking at?)

Thanks again.

22. Tazman

Tazman

The blend component behaves very similar to the group component, in that it triggers all its children components at the same time, but without appearing on the mixer view. Also through its inspector you can set the children volumes, saving you time from having to go to each node.

There are many ways to do what you want in Fabric...

- One way will be to use a timeline component that has a ping-pong style parameter with speed and a layer that contains two crossfade regions... each region could be a random component that has a list of drone sounds that will be picked at random every time the parameter is entered.

- Another way will be to have a looped switch component that has two random components each with fade in/out properties for the crossfading.

23. bitbutter

bitbutter

Thanks for the pointers. I've been fiddling with the timeline component to see what's possible, but I'm having a bit of trouble getting started. I've added an event listener component to the object with the timeline component in order to quickly preview what I'm setting up, but I'm getting various errors when I try to use the preview button.

Here's a screenshot of my editor in case the extra information is useful: http://i.imgur.com/C8Z98.png

24. Tazman

Tazman

Which version of Fabric are you using?.. this issue has been fixed in recent versions.

25. bitbutter

bitbutter

This is happening in v2.1.4, the highest version number I see in the dropbox.

26. Tazman

Tazman

Though 2.1.4 is the latest major version there have been a number of smaller updates/patches that include this fix.... Can you please send me a PM with your name/email and I will upload the latest update in your dropbox folder.

27. Tazman

Tazman

Version 2.1.5 of Fabric is now available

This version brings:

• Component runtime parameter support that allows to graphically map values passed by the game with component properties (i.e. volume, pitch, pan, spread etc). It also allows to use the distance of the component from the listener as a parameter value.

• Audio components turn virtual (i.e. not playing) when they are more then their max distance from the listener (saves CPU)

• Event listener can now override event actions.

• A number of bug fixes, UI and performance improvements.

Check out the release notes for more details

28. Audiator

Audiator

Hi there,

does the fabric plugin work with the unity webplayer plugin? or would an user have to download aditional files for that?

Best

29. S0ULART

S0ULART

Is it possible to achieve trackbased events?
    Like e.g. in the Unity Animation System where on certain points of an
    animation an event can be triggered.
    e.g Move Object at 12:55 of a track.

30. Tazman

Tazman

Hi Audiator,

Fabric is entirely written in C# scripts without any external dependencies so it works fine with the webplayer and all platforms supported by unity ... you can try out the driving demo on the website.

31. Tazman

Tazman

Hi S0ULART,

It is possible to achieve this using the event trigger component and animation events that call the PostEvent() function... however it seems that there is an issue and you can only have one event trigger with the animation clip... To solve this I have added a new function in the event trigger component called PostEventByName which allows you to set the Fabric event name you want to play... this way you can trigger different sounds on certain points of the animation... will upload the latest version with that change for you.

32. S0ULART

S0ULART

Wow thank you for the quick answer but I think you misunderstood me.
    The animation event system I meant was just for comparison how I would like to achieve a similiar effect on audio tracks,
    I would like to be able to set trigger/events at specific points of an audiofile when it plays.
    e.g. let the player jump everytime the sound file reaches 1:10 minute.

33. S0ULART

S0ULART

short example:
    1. play song x with a lengh of 3:00 in loop.
    2. everytime the song reaches 1:50 fire up an event
    3. that lets the player jump

34. Tazman

Tazman

I see... well at least now Fabric supports animation events correctly :)

You can do what you want by checking the audio source time value which is accessible from the audio component... To get an audio component you need to use the FabricManager.GetComponentByName function... There is an example script in the tutorials folder showing exactly how to do this.

Unfortunately, polling the time value wont be accurate because Unity's update is called at a much slower rate than the audio update... If you can live with that then that's fine, if not a better and simpler solution will be to use the yield WaitForSeconds statement passing the number of second you want to wait.

35. Bowie-Xu

Bowie-Xu

Hi Tazman
    Fabric seems to be a perfect plugin I am looking for.
    Basically what I want to do is build a mixer in Unity3d and let program run on multi-platform(including mobiles)
    I want to mix more than one mp3s or WAVs together.(2 sound tracks min, it's perfect if it can support 4-8 tracks)
    Can Fabric do that? How's performance when it do mix job on mobiles?

Thanks a lot!

36. Tazman

Tazman

Hi Bowie.

You will be able to mix a number of audio files together, apply filters or modulate them with Fabric's modular synth extension which is planned for release sometime this month.... At the moment only wav files are supported but there are plans to support other formats as well.

37. Bowie-Xu

Bowie-Xu

Hi Taz
    Thanks for replying. If I understand it right, Fabric can't do mixinf sound track job right now unless I use Fabric's extension which hasn't been release yet.
    I am very exciting you will release it soon and I also replied your email for more details about our app.

38. Tazman

Tazman

Next version of Fabric brings loudness metering to Unity3D for some serious audio mixing :cool:

$Loudness Meter.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  39. Tazman

Tazman

Version 2.1.6 of Fabric is now available

This version brings:

• New modular synth extension.
    • New loudness meter component.
    • New tool for converting and importing fmod designer project files.
    • New component preview window.
    • New DynamicMixer "switch to" preset feature.
    • Support for Unity 4.1 new dspTime timing feature.
    • Support to link DSP component properties with runtime parameters.
    • Improved Asset Loader support.
    • A number of bug fixes, UI and performance improvements.

Please check out the release notes or visit our website for more details.

40. paraself

paraself

Hii Tazman Studio

I have requested an evaluation copy for more than twice but it seems no one reply me or just forget to add me into the dropbox share list. Could you kindly double check you email;) Thanks!

Cheers!
    WY

41. a_tarerra

a_tarerra

Have started looking at the evaluation version and have to say I'm impressed with all the cool features!

I'm a little stuck looking at the included tutorial scenes, however. In the DistanceFiltering example, there's a low pass filter that increases the cutoff frequency as you move closer to the target. I can see that there's a property set in the RTP Window, but if I try to do the same, I can't figure out how to assign a curve to the property so that the cutoff value increases while the distance decreases... anyone?

Thanks!

42. Tazman

Tazman

Hi,

Are you trying to do the same on a new scene?... Have you added a low pass filter component?. Only then will you see the cutoff property.

To add a property you right click within the parameter box and select the "Add Parameter" menu option.. to use the distance from the audio listener, you just need to enter "Distance" in the parameter entry... Also make sure you set a reasonable min/max range and that the curve is mapped correctly.

Taz

43. a_tarerra

a_tarerra

Yeah, done everything except that last bit. How/where do I map the curve correctly?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Audun

44. Tazman

Tazman

In that case all you need to do is move the points on either side of the line so that when distance is at the min range the cutoff property is at its fullest and its lowest when the distance is at max...

The graph should like something like this:

$RTP_LowPass.png

45. a_tarerra

a_tarerra

Thanks! Did not realize there was a graph there all along, I just hadn't expanded the window far enough... *facepalm*

46. Tazman

Tazman

Version 2.1.7 of Fabric is now available

This version brings:

• New components (IntroLoopOutro , DialogAudioComponent, AudioPannerFilter)
    • Localization support
    • New advance sequence mode types (advance on event action, advance on play)
    • Ability to fully override event actions in event listener
    • New drag and drop support when importing audio clips into components
    • Dynamic mixer presets can automatically activated on events (low CPU ducking)
    • Weights in RandomComponent entries
    • "CreateEventListeners" option in fabric manager automatically creates event listeners on all components
    • Easily locate in the hierarchy all event listeners or event triggers associated with an event
    • Ability to set InitialiseParameters as multipliers
    • Support scripts for "Playmaker"
    • Volume parameters are shown in dB and Pitch in semitones
    • Exposed side chain gain to Runtime parameter support
    Please check out the release notes or visit our website for more details.

$ComponentUI.png

$RandomComponentWithEventListener.png

$SequenceComponent.png

$Languages.png

47. Tazman

Tazman

Version 2.1.7c of Fabric is now available

This version has a new previewer window that allows the user to easily audition multiple components and tweak their properties as well as creating individual sessions.

$ComponentPreviewer.png

48. cambritton

cambritton

Why isn't Fabric available on the Asset store? I only learned about it today from a word of mouth recommendation.

49. Tazman

Tazman

Hi Cambritton

Fabric used to be in the asset store but I wanted to provide free evaluation copies and also offer different license options which I am afraid is not possible to do with asset store's single license agreement so I had to take it out.

I am more than happy to give access to the evaluation copy of Fabric... just drop me an email at: sales@tazman-audio.co.uk

Cheers,
    Taz

50. Tazman

Tazman

This version brings:

- New Audio Spline extension (ideal for ambiences such as: rivers, forests, crowds etc)
    - New WWW audio component
    - New SamplePlayer audio component with channel gain and loop region (can read markers from wavfiles) support
    - New SamplePlayer panner effect
    - New Asset Bundle audio component
    - New Dynamic Mixer preset activation mode
    - Activate Side Chain component from any Fabric component (low cpu usage)
    - New option to create component instances offline (improves load times)

And many fixes and improvements, please check the release notes or visit the website for more details.

$SamplePlayer.png
    Sample Player Component​

$WWW Audio Component Http.png
    WWW Audio Component​

$AudioSpline.png
    Audio Spline​