Search Unity

Export .Mat files from Blender 2.6 ?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Wentzel, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Wentzel

Wentzel

Awe people!

As most know if you model in Blender, assign a material and export to .Fbx and import to unity 3.4.1 it creates a Material folder with the assigned material of blender.

The question is how can i export directly from blender a .Mat file so just the created material and not a model with it.

Thanks
    ~Wentzel

2. Farfarer

Farfarer

Unity generates those files when it imports a model - it's not something that Blender does.

3. Wentzel

Wentzel

Yeah i get that.
    But the game im working on has different materials for one object.
    For example the object will have 1 material at a time, but can be changed at any time to other materials in the game.
    Is there a way to just Import the materials ?

It's time consuming just to create a model just for the Materials, if you get where im going at.

4. Tiles

Tiles

Import a primitive with all your needed materials at it as fbx. And then grab the materials from there. On the other hand, it`s either work in Blender or work in Unity to create those materials. You win nothing. You have to create those materials somewhere. I would create the mateirals in Unity though, it`s faster here.

5. scarpelius

scarpelius

No, i don't think so.
    Lets say you create a cool leather jacket in Blender. It has a nice material that genuine imitate the look and feel for the leather. Rendered it looks fantastic.
    But you should understand that Blender is not a real time renderer and the scope there is to get a perfect image, while a game is a real time renderer and you simply don't have the resources to take into considerations how light is bounced from materials, that why shaders exist.

6. Wentzel

Wentzel

Thanks!

if i just assign materials to an empty object and import .FBX to unity, Works fine.