Search Unity

EXPLOSIVE DRIVE - arcade driving simulator

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Excelerator, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Excelerator

Excelerator

Hello everyone! Today, I'd like to show you something I've been working on for 3 years.

Explosive Drive - It's a retro arcade driving simulator that was hugely inspired by the game we all knew back from the late 90's - Rush2049.

As you might notice from the screenshots, it almost looks like something from the 90's graphics-wise, but with a twist of modern elements that can only be achieved with today's hardware. I've made my best effort to make the car dynamics work like a dream. One of my favorite feelings in the game is just going air born. A lot of the driving takes place on slopes, hills, walls, ceilings, and in the air. The cars are basically indestructible, well, up until the point where you explode. - And believe me, there's plenty of that in this game.. the game is very smart about choosing when to make your car explode and makes sure to make those explosions look pretty dramatic.

Currently, I have 5 completed levels. I'd love to make more, but we'll see. I still need to put food on the table and currently, for me, that means working at Walmart electronics.. so it's hard to come up with the time to work on it. And guys, I absolutely love working on this game. Sometimes you end up working on games you really don't enjoy that much, and for me, to work on this means creating the game I've always dreamed of. Your support in this would mean so much to me, because it allows me to keep doing what I love.

Please check out the official Twitter and Facebook page and let me know if you have any questions about the game or just questions in general.

Please show your support by inviting your friends to like:
    https://www.facebook.com/explosivedrive

- or by following on twitter:
    https://twitter.com/ExplosiveDrive

I know most of you here are probably Unity Developers or are doing something related to Unity. If anyone here has any ideas or advice for me on where to post about the game, that would help a lot. This is my first game and I'm very new to the marketing side of things so anything would help.

Here are a few screenshots of the game. You can see even more on the facebook page.

Further details on the game:
    Explosive Drive surprisingly isn't all about the explosions, rather it's more about the explosive fun you will have playing it.

There are five completely different environments:

San Francisco - Here, we race through a futuristic version of San Francisco. Hidden beneath the city are the most dangerous shortcuts. If you can make it through them, you may have just left all your opponents in the dust. Also watch for switches; they are what control the hidden traps and secrets within the city.

Yosemite - Slightly more peaceful than the city, though you should probably be aware there are more traps to try and devastate you in the race.

Underground Fortress - This looks a bit sketchy in terms of what you would normally call a racetrack. It used to be that you would actually have a road to race on - not walls and broken cement floors. And why helicopters fully equipped with laser guided missiles are hovering over the track? Beats me.

Cyberspace - Watch out for the flying objects of no identity.. wait, I'll just call them cybats. Also, careful with those time warps that send you in speeds in excess of 200mph. Those can really send you in the wrong direction.

Space Station - It's every car under the influence of artificial gravity here. Again... the usual. Lots of dangerous things to try and make you explode.. lots of traps etc. I think we get the point.

There are actually two versions of the game being worked on:

Explosive Drive - Pc, Mac, and Linux
    This features up to 8 players over a lan connection. When not playing against friends, there are 7 other AI players that you can play against using different levels of difficulty.

Explosive Drive Mobile Edition - Android and iOS
    While this game uses the same car dynamics, it will be set up differently and only use one continuously loading level with increasing difficulty. The development of this version just started.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  2. randomperson42

randomperson42

Looks cool. Free?

3. Excelerator

Excelerator

As far as the current plans are going, Explosive Drive will be free to download for both versions.

4. Zaddo67

Zaddo67

Looks Awesome!!

Did you write the car physics yourself?

5. Excelerator

Excelerator

Mostly. I started out with Unity's built in PhysX, but wrote a lot of special behaviors that control the car dynamics. There were so many things covered from tire friction models to controlling the huge impact of landing jumps. As a result, the cars handle very smoothly and are easy to control.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  6. Excelerator

Excelerator

Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I've given you any updates.

I've just been working in the Unity 4.6 Beta reworking all of the UI to support more screen resolutions. I'm very impressed with how well the new GUI system works.

One thing that has me pretty excited now is that I've run some tests and I was able to get the game running 40 fps in a 4 player split screen environment! That's pretty good news to me, especially considering there is more room for optimization. Man! Don't you just love the good ol' days when everyone played multiplayer on the same screen?

7. Excelerator

Excelerator

I've finally finished the game trailer! Check it out and we'd love to hear your feedback.

8. Zaddo67

Zaddo67

Nice trailer. Really showcases the fantastic environments you have for the game. Love the explosions at the start :)

What really grabbed my attention with your previous video was how well the car behaved, it looked like a lot of fun to drive. This didn't really standout in the trailer, I went looking for your last video to replay it, but you have removed it.

I would love to have a go on a playable demo.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

I really like what I've seen in this trailer :D
    And yes those were good old days when we shared the same screen and played against friends, it's multiplayer on a whole different level. Keep up that great work, I like the typical 90s graphics :)

10. austint30

austint30

Oh, man. I loved Rush 2049! I had it on my Gamecube on Midway Arcade Treasures 3! I have always dreamed of a newer version. This game will be sooo epic! Can you make more San Francisco tracks? Maybe the same tracks from Rush 2049? I want to jump off of the Lombard Street again!

11. Excelerator

Excelerator

Here's a couple of gameplay videos:

12. Excelerator

Excelerator

Thank you! :)

13. Excelerator

Excelerator

I really tend to like the San Francisco environments better. The way the roads are set up makes the game way funner. Hopefully I'll have more opportunity to make those down the road.

14. Excelerator

Excelerator

If you enjoyed the game so far, please consider helping out. We're excited to continue developing this game bringing you splitscreen multiplayer, but we need your help. Please check out our Indigogo campaign here: http://igg.me/at/ExplosiveDrive/x/10076166

GarBenjamin likes this.
  15. Razputin

Razputin

Kinda reminds me of the old hotwheels games. Looks fun! Keep up the good work!

16. Excelerator

Excelerator

We've made a start at optimizing Explosive Drive for slower computers. So far, we've looked deep into how the garage was set up and ended up achieving over 100 fps on an 8 inch Windows tablet. The quest for more fps continues as we optimize the rest of the game.

17. gamadgames

gamadgames

Wow really good work, maybe you should change the way the car is landing on the ground.
    It is too static for a car. Most cars I have seen make a sort of jump back in the sky with fire or something.

Good luck with further progress and I hope you can read my bad english ;)

~Gamad