Search Unity

ex2D - the best 2D sprite solution for Unity [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by johnny_karas, Aug 24, 2011.

1. paraself

paraself

This feature looks fantastic! Keep it up! For a long time, level design for 2d game in Unity Editor mode is just tedious. Really expect to see that runtime sprite manipulation could be possible....

2. faoliveira

faoliveira

Great news! Can't wait to use the next version. As paraself said, level design for 2d game in Unity Editor mode is just tedious

3. unormal

unormal

My solution for this is to simply keep the images in a separate tree beside resources, and only keep the atlases themselves in Resources. So I have a "Source" tree that mirrors my Resource tree, in which I keep the textures that are committed to atlases only.

4. CtrlZzzz

CtrlZzzz

Awesome ! thanks for this update !

5. p6r

p6r

Not for Unity 3.x ?????????????????????????????? :-(

6R

6. johnny_karas

johnny_karas

Hi p6r,

The ex2D v2.0 will not support Unity 3.x since we use some new API in Unity 4.0. Sorry for that :(

7. p6r

p6r

Very bad news for me...
    Could you make a version of ex2D v1 running in Unity 3.5.7 ? I can't use it anymore. :-(

Thanks
    6R

8. johnny_karas

johnny_karas

Hi p6r,

You can send me E-Mail to get ex2D v1.x version for Unity 3.5.7, we still have the package for user.

E-Mail: support@ex-dev.com

Regadrs,
    Wu

9. moopi

moopi

Hi Wu,

Can you restore ex2D v1.x documentation to the http://ex-dev.com/ex2d/. It seems that all links to script reference etc. are missing/broken.
    I'm still heavily tied with version 1.x and I did't manage to download offline documentation when it was available :).

10. johnny_karas

johnny_karas

I will fix the link error in v1.x Website. You can quickly access the document through:

ex2D v1.x Doc: http://exdev.webfactional.com/ex2d/wiki/doku.php
    ex2D v1.x Script Ref http://exdev.webfactional.com/ex2d/script_ref/

Regards,
    Wu

11. bWard

bWard

Yo... any estimate on when the beta finishes and the 2.0 goes live? Or when we get some good documentation on 2.0 or the beta? I'm looking forward to it.

12. choka

choka

Hi guys, I have been having a problem with my ex2D sprite sheets with Unity. Everytime I open the project in Unity, the spritesheet atlas somehow gets regenerated (and my application looks like a mess because of this) and I have open the spritesheet in exAtlasEditor, drag one of my sprites around, click Apply on the left (so the sprite goes back to the original place), click Build again. This way, my data goes back to normal and everything in the application would look nice again.

This didn't use to be a big problem but now I am trying to put some build scripts in place to get all my projects built in the background, this spritesheet problem is standing in my way. What have I possibly have done wrong in the project to result in this? How can I tell ex2D not to regenerate my spritesheets?

13. bWard

bWard

All right; I've searched through this thread and something just hasn't been mentioned.

I'm moving the camera to follow my character, but as soon as it goes offscreen from where the camera started in the beginning of the layout, the character does not get drawn. What do I need to do to properly scroll through the game? Is there a specific movement feature, or a layer-specific function needing called to keep my character visible?

I'm using the beta in favor of the 1.2.7 if it makes a difference.

14. AntFitch

AntFitch

Hi, I have a question for Wu. Now that Unity 2D support is almost here, are there any plans on modifying ex2D to work with the new features? For example, the new 2D sprite importer in 4.3 looks great since it allows devs to use spritesheets and auto-assign sprites to an atlas.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  15. Lisan

Lisan

Hi guys,

Anyone using ex2d clipping feature in Android apps? It was working well on Unity 3 and previous Android SDK, but now it doesn't. :(
    We have several games using this feature and now trying to publish them to Android with no luck, clipping is not working. Maybe somebody has workaround?

Here is software and hardware we've tried it on:
    Unity 4.2.1
    ex2D 1.2.7 (121009)
    Android SDK API 16, Revision 4 (builder 4.3 from API 18 )
    Asus Nexus 7 (4.3), Sony Experia P (4.1.2), Samsung SIII mini (4.1.2)

BR, Alexey

16. Lisan

Lisan

Just solved it.

If you open compiled shader file, there is an error message:

/* NOTE: GLSL optimization failed
    0:341(19): error: identifier `xlt__in' uses reserved `__' string
    */
    -------- GLSL error: (341) : error C7528: OpenGL reserves names containing '__'

It happens because in following shader code:

v2f vert ( appdata_t _in ) { ... }
    fixed4 frag ( v2f _in ) { ... }

variable "_in" used, and it becames "xlt__in" after compiling. And because "__" is reserved on most 4.1 Androids, shader just didn't work. Matter was solved by renaming this variable.

17. skullthug

skullthug

So with the Unity 2D update coming soon, is ex2D now abandonware?

18. Juande

Juande

I don't think so.

Since the Unity 2D support (in the Free version) for atlases is very limited. Ex2D is a great choice to use with Unity Free.

19. CodeFighter

CodeFighter

Hello! I try to make 2d game and fight with quality. My sprites have borders. Some of that borders hides and some appears depending on screen position like in example. Where top border of right sprite is blurring. Thank you. $Безымянный.png

ps. I use ex2d, ortho cam 640, no mipmapping, no antialiasing. Point or bilinear filtering have same effect.

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for your Idea, I was trying to solve the same probelm but with sprites on 2d toolkit, maybe you can solve your problem with the modifications that i did, in my case, I changed the alpha max values from "255" to "1", the transition from 0 to 1 works fine to me.

21. AntFitch

AntFitch

I've played around with Unity 4.3, and while the animation editor is nice, it doesn't appear to be built for games that need to scale. So for anyone who might be wondering... the new built-in editor is great if you want to create animations ON a game object, but if you want to have an animation library with animations you can edit w/o having them attached to a game object, and swap animations at runtime when they are needed, ex2D can do this.

I'm looking forward to v2.0, but I would love to see ex2D take advantage of the new built-in 2D atlas feature of Unity 4.3.

22. user4747

user4747

Is ex2d 1.2.7 supposed to work with the latest Unity? Mine is crashing with editor bugs since I updated, and my project is heavily tied to the old ex2d.