Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

EWS GUI Editor (Visual UnityGUI Editor)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ModStoryGames, Dec 10, 2012.

1. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

EWS GUI Editor 4.1
    A Visual UnityGUI Editor

NOTICE: Version 4.1 has been approved and is now on the Asset Store.

NOTICE: The GUI Editor Free Edition is now on the Asset Store. Find out more here.

The GUI Editor is a Visual GUI Editor and Code Generator that can be used to create in-game and editor interfaces without writing any GUI code. More time can be spent writing functional reactions to input, and GUIs can be polished later during development. The GUI Editor has the ability to generate code files in C# and UnityScript, and will be receiving updates to improve the control and output of generated code.

The video below shows the previous version (3.2), but here is a screen cap of the new editor in its final form.

This is a small demonstration of the GUI Editor in action. See the video's description for more details.

The GUI Editor is on the Asset Store for 30 USD. If you have any questions, suggestions, criticisms, etc. contact me at eddy.ews@gmail.com, PM me here, or reply in this thread. Thank you.

~Eddy @ EWS

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  2. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

The GUI Editor is now live on the Asset Store! You can find it here.

3. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Update: Created a small tutorial for Custom Containers. You can find it here.

If anyone would like to see a particular tutorial made, let me know.

4. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Notice:

GUI Editor is compatible with Unity 4!

For those who want access to the source, you can send me your invoice (at eddy.ews@gmail.com) for a zip containing the source. Also, the DLLs are not obfuscated, so you can also get the code directly from them if you have the tools for it.

5. Brendo-Vdm

Brendo-Vdm

you must be crazy :0 $150.00 for this , come on man maybe $20-$50

6. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Why not have it generate the code you need right from the prototype?

7. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

That was the original goal for GUI Editor, but the whole reason I wrote the tool was to remove the hassles of GUI code (primarily the building and rebuilding of the solution when little changes must be made to the GUI) entirely. The idea is that the GUI aspect of the code isn't in the way of the functional aspect of the code. So you can write a menu system, and handle scene changes or settings or player inventories without worrying about whether the GUI is drawing correctly, and if you need to change the appearance of the GUI you don't have to change any code. Just open the editor, drop in the GUIAsset you want to change, and swap skins, or resize buttons, or whatever you need to do.

I have been considering adding code generation back as an alternative to the base system. Thinking about it now, I might be able to make it work. I'll look into it today, and if it works, I'll update GUI Editor immediately (there is nothing wrong with having more features! :D).

The current price is based on the Asset Store Submission Guidelines, which states ranges of prices based on the size or complexity of the extension. If I need to lower the price to increase sales, I will do so in time. Thank you for your input. :D

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  8. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Is this it? It feels very barebones...

9. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Part of that may be that my sample images don't show real GUI systems. I made quick GUIs during testing, and they ended up going into the screen shots (a poor decision, I admit). The other part is that the GUI Editor currently only has the default controls from UnityGUI. I will be preparing more, and I welcome developers who like the GUI Editor to write their own control packs for it. If there are any features you would like to see, let me know and I'll see what I can do. ;D

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  10. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

The GUI Editor is getting a major face lift with the next update! We expect to release GUI Editor 2.0 in the next couple of weeks.

[UPDATE]

Some features I wanted to work in aren't possible with the current system (a combination of my tools and Unity itself). However, many features are still possible, and a lot has changed already. I look forward to sharing the new feature set with you all soon. :D

[UPDATE 2]

Here are some of the new features I have implemented:

* A grid can be enabled for lining up controls.
    * Align manual-layout controls to edges/center of their containers.
    * Nudge manual-layout controls with the arrow keys. Hold control to move them along the grid.
    * Force a manual-layout control to stretch to fill its container.
    * GUIAssets now have a Position, and can be used as Windows, Boxes, or Groups.
    * Copy/paste controls.
    * Context Menus for many operations in the toolbox and canvas windows.

There are a handful of other new features to look forward to. The new GUI Editor is expected to be submitted in the next week or so. In the coming days I will post new screens.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  11. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

New Features!

GUI Editor 2.0 has been submitted to the Asset Store, and is awaiting approval.

GUI Editor has gone through a lot of changes. In 2.0, you can now edit multiple GUI Assets at one time, move and resize Manual Layout controls with the arrow keys, use easy-access toolbar buttons and context menus to do almost every task in the editor, including adding controls to the GUI Assets. You can now use grids to line up GUI Assets and controls. The properties panel has been replaced by the Inspector, making it easier to create custom control editors. You can now copy/paste controls, and export controls for reuse. Check out the new manual linked in the top post to see what it's like to work in the new editor.

12. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

The Epic Win Society GUI Editor 2.0 has been accepted to the Asset Store! It can be found here. Check out the main post for a link to the updated Manual and more information!

13. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

The GUI Editor is still on sale for 75 USD. This sale will end soon!

=== === ===

2.0 introduces many new features, including moving controls in the GUI Editor Canvas, grids for aligning controls, quick-align buttons, and a redesigned layout that utilizes the Inspector, keeping the canvas clean.

14. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Added a Demo to the main post. Now you can play with a limited editor, get a test ride in. :D

15. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

The GUI Editor sale has ended. The GUI Editor is now 90 USD.

16. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

GUI Editor 2.1 is now available on the Asset Store. Just some bug fixes.

17. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

I've begun work on the next version of the GUI Editor. In 2.x there were several limitations that resulted from the initial design of the GUI Editor Canvas, the ControlBase class, and the ControlManager class. I am starting from the ground-up to make the system more flexible and easier to use. I am adding animated controls and Code Generation. I have not determined how complex the Code Generator will be, but so far my goal is to include at least a MonoBehaviour generator, but I am looking into a Template system.

I am planning to have the next GUI Editor out by the end of March at the latest. There is still time to use the 2.1 system to make code-free GUI systems to implement into your scripts. Although it will be impossible to transfer old systems into the new system directly, you will be able to recreate any GUI that is currently possible in 2.1.

~Eddy @ EWS

18. Unitraxx

Unitraxx

Interesting project. I really am interested in how you handled this. (The new version, with code generation)

19. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

The simple answer is that every component is responsible for generating its own string of code. My editor checks each component's fields for the fields with a particular attribute, which contains some data used during generation. These fields will automatically generate some code that will go directly into the class file as class variables. The names of these variables are then planted into the components' code strings.

Because Code Generation is now a fully integrated part of the system, it is a little harder to add components, as each one needs to override the code gen method, but it's basically like writing the OnGUI method twice. And new kinds of components can be added, such as Event components, that only generate code, but have no visual representation (hence the change from the name "control" to "component").

It might sound complicated, but it's still less work than writing CodeDOM generation since all the hard work is done by the Field Generators.

The new version will not be in DLLs, so anyone who buys the editor will be able to look at all of the code. It might not be commented out all the way upon release, but I will make sure it gets finished as I write the expansions (Component Packs and GUIAsset types). On top of that, I try to have a thorough manual at launch that explains every facet of the editor so that anyone can at least make small additions to the editor.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  20. neokito

neokito

you have a link with a demo version :)

21. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Yes, for the old version of the GUI Editor there is still a demo up. The new version will also have a demo, though it may not come out when the new version does.

22. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

3.0 has been submitted, and should be up soon.

Some notable new features:

Code Generation
    Rewritten from the ground up.
    No more DLLs.

For more details, check out the top post.

~Eddy @ EWS

23. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

The GUI Editor 3.1 is now live on the Asset Store!

Expect minor updates and bug fixes soon.
    And please report any bugs that you
    encounter. This was a very large rewrite
    and update to the system, so there may
    have been things that I missed.

24. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Uploaded a demonstration video for 3.1.

25. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

3.2 has been submitted to the Asset Store and is pending review. It contains a few bug fixes and adds some sample GUIs (seen in the demo video) so you can play with them.

In the near future I plan to create another video showing the creation of an Editor Window, as well as a new Component Pack with Editor Components. I am also going to be adding a Compound Component Export feature to the Toolbox. This will allow you to export a collection of components (currently exporting only exports the selected control).

Suggestions for features are welcome.

26. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

3.2 is live in the Asset Store at the new price of 80 USD.

27. Gru

Gru

I have the Demo version, but can not see GUI Canvas and GUI Toolbox tabs. How to activate them?

28. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

To use the GUI Editor, go to the "Window" menu, then select "GUI Editor." This should open both the GUI Canvas and GUI Toolbox.

~Eddy @ EWS

29. Gru

Gru

Thanks, was expecting it in Add Tab.

30. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Big News:

The GUI Editor is on sale for 30 USD to celebrate the upcoming Editor GUI Update. The Editor GUI Update will introduce a new set of Editor-only controls (for creating custom Editors and EditorWindows), a new Control Export feature that allows you to export controls in collections, and an entirely new GUI Canvas. The original GUI Canvas will still be included, but it will no longer be updated, and the custom editors that linked to it are now linked to the new GUI Canvas.

The new GUI Canvas can be seen below. The different components of the editor have been labeled.

A - The Grid Toggles. The left button is the Canvas Grid Toggle. The field next to it is for assigning the grid's size
    The right button is the GUI Asset Grid Toggle. The field next to it is for assigning the grid's size.
    The grid size fields will only appear if their respective grids are enabled.

B - The Editor View Popup. When set to View, you see the GUI as it will appear in an editor or in-game, and interact with it.
    When set to Edit Control, the selected control can be resized or moved. Other controls will be disabled.
    When set to Edit GUI, the selected GUI Asset can be resized or moved. You cannot interact with controls in this mode.

C - The Component Name TextField. This is where you can change the selected component's name.

D - The Send buttons. Used to reorder components. From left to right, Send To Back, Send Back, Send Forward, Send to Front.

E - The Alignment buttons. Used to align the selected control. This will not set the control's Anchor.

F - The Utility buttons. Copy will duplicate the selected component.
    Export will export the selected component.
    Delete will delete the selected component.
    Close Selected GUI will close the selected GUI.

G - The Window toggles. These can enable or disable the Toolbox, Controls, and Settings windows.

H - The Toolbox Window. Here you can create GUI Assets or Add Components to the selected GUI.
    Components are now represented by icons. Hover over a button to see a detailed tooltip.

I - The Settings Window. Here you can change the colors of the Grids, the Canvas background, and the selected control box.
    You can also resize the Toolbox and Controls windows within a limited range using the Settings Window.

J - The Controls Window. Here you will see a list of all open GUI Assets and the components of the selected GUI Assets.
    The selected GUI Asset's button will be the same as the Selected GUI Grid, and the selected Component's color will
    be the same as the selected control box.

K - The Canvas. You can drag GUIAssets in here to open them for editing. If you have selected a GUI Asset in the Canvas,
    you can drag and drop exported components and component collections.

L - An open GUI Asset. This GUI Asset is showing some of the new Editor-only controls,
    including an Int Field, Tag Popup, Drop Shadow Label, Editor Toggle, and Cursor Rect (around the Texture of a sword).

I am planning on submitting this update within the next couple of weeks. If anyone has any comments, suggestions, or questions, post here, PM me, or shoot me an email at eddy.ews@gmail.com.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  31. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Here is a screen showing the latest form of the new GUI Canvas, as well as some of the new Editor-only Components.

I need to write the sample scenes/editors for this release, and a few minor features in the canvas, but then I will be submitting the update to the Asset Store.

32. Original-Big-Dan

Original-Big-Dan

This looks like it could solve my GUI pains! Looking forward to testing it out. :)

33. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

I've got a new screen for you all! I just need to finish the demo editor and write the new README and do some testing before I submit it. In the mean time, check out the latest form of the New GUI Canvas.

I've changed the Toolbox and Controls to use buttons instead of Foldouts. The Foldouts just felt awkward, but the buttons feel more natural in this setup. If you are working with a non-editor GUI than any groups of controls in the Toolbox that contain the word "Editor" will be closed and disabled, so you won't have to scroll through the new Editor Components to get to the older controls. I've also moved the Export button out of the Selected Control portion of the toolbar. It now works when any GUIAsset is selected, and opens a window that lets you toggle which components you want to export. If you export multiple components, they are all added to a GUI Component Collection, which can be drag/dropped into the canvas like any other Exported Components.

~Eddy @ EWS

EDIT: The tabs around the GUIAsset are for resizing, and the icon in the middle is for moving the GUIAsset. You can pull the resize tabs in any direction to resize in that direction only. This allows for finer control, as you no longer have to stretch controls to the right, then slide them left to fill a position. You can just move the side that needs to be moved.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  34. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

The GUI Editor 4.1 has been accepted to the Asset Store.

35. Original-Big-Dan

Original-Big-Dan

Hey Eddy. Fantastic editor so far. After a bit of faffing and studying your youtube video closely, I have managed to get a working main menu screen! A GUI first for me! ;)

I'm trying to export this to an Android tablet and I'm getting errors:

(This I expected, not sure where to find the scripts though?)

(Not sure what's going on here)

. (*gulp*)

Any ideas?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  36. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Thanks for checking it out!

The first problem is with UnityGUI. I never wrote any OnMouse_ event handlers; those are all in the existing UnityGUI controls.

The second problem is one that has popped up a few times. I just played around with it, and it seems that naming the folder where my editor-only icons reside "Resources" was a bad idea. Change the folder "EWS.GUI/Core/Editor/Resources/" to "EWS.GUI/Core/Editor/Icons"

That one will be fixed in the next update...

As for the final problem, that is likely only caused by the second problem. If UnityGUI can be used on Android then there shouldn't be any problems. However, UnityGUI is not great for mobile unless it is very minimally used.

37. Original-Big-Dan

Original-Big-Dan

That's perfect! Thank you very much.

38. VolureDarkAngel

VolureDarkAngel

It seems that the new GUI Canvas does not generate code like the classic. the code generation is what I was looking for, rather than a system to handle the Gui for me.

If your editor was a lot more advanced and handled more controls, I would say it may be useful as a GUI replacement. However there are too many missing elements that an advanced GUI still needs.

the Classic Code Export did not work on my laptop, but it seems to be working on my desktop so I can handle using it as is. Also I appreciate the time you spent on it which is why I paid for it, But I would like to see more advancement in the plugin as time progresses.

I guess the point I would like to make is, Dont abandon the code generation on newer releases, That is the feature I will be using most.

Thanks for building this. And should I come up with some advancements I think will benefit you, I will try to get them out to you.

39. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

I really appreciate that! I want you to know that I am not abandoning the code gen. I didn't want to release a haf-baked rewrite of the code gen with this release. I'm working on improving the generator and replacing the Anchor system with a screen/gui percentage system (a button coul be set to always fill 10% of a screen, and be 1% away from the left edge, for example).

Also, the latest update fixes some build errors. Pick it up if you don't have 4.1.2.

When I release the new code gen, the old Canvas will be removed entirely.

And I look forward to hearing from you regarding feature ideas and bug reports. Be sure to send them to the support email, which I check most frequently.

Thanks,

~Eddy @ EWS

40. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Hello, all. Just a quick announcement. I was planning on releasing the new update soon, but I've been working on some cool ideas for the code generation, and I've decided to stretch it out into a new major release. The new release will be focused entirely on code generation, so I no longer have to worry about writing three classes for every control. Controls will be kept in Editor folders, so they won't be usable in-game like the older versions, but they will have better code generation, and will be easier to extend.

This will almost seem like a different product altogether, although the end goal will be the same; to save time and effort when creating GUIs using UnityGUI. I'll keep you all updated as I get nearer to release. Thank you.

~Eddy @ EWS