Search Unity

EULAs, Copyrights, Logos, and Credits

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by BasketQase, Nov 2, 2007.

1. BasketQase

BasketQase

I've got a couple/few questions regarding Copyrights, Credits, Logos, etc.

1) What qualifies as the "prorietary notices or labels" referred to by Section 1.iv. of the Unity 1.x Pro and Indie EULA? I've read elsewhere in the forums the copyright notice in the about box, the Ageia logo and the Unity logo mentioned specifically as included. What of the notices in the CFBundleGetInfoString, CFBundleShortVersionString, CFBundleIdentifier, and CFBundleVersion in the Info.plist of a built player runtime? Also which copyright notice in the about box is required? Just the "OverTheEdge", or all three (Ageia, .NET, and OverTheEdge)?

2) What qualifies as "removal" of the above notices? Are we permitted to move all that information to another location in the runtime (e.g a "credits" screen in a game that plays primarily in fullscreen)? Must the notices be presented as they are in the about box (Unity logo, "Unity Player", unity url, Ageia logo and copyright, .NET logo and copyright, OverTheEdge copyright)?

3) Do we need to include an EULA with our Unity-based release that includes the copyright notices and EULAs for The Mono Class Library, The Mono Runtime Libraries, The Mono C# Compiler and Tools, Boo, UnityScript, PostgreSQL, Twilight Prophecy SDK, dynamic_bitset, OpenAL, and/or libcurl?

I think those are the questions I need to have answers for to have this whole legalese stuff crystal clear for me :wink:.

Thanks!
    -rob

[edit: some typos]

2. BasketQase

BasketQase

I hate doin' this but it's kind of an important question . . . so here it goes . . .

*BUMP*

: (

3. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Re 1 and 3) Specifically this refers to the Unity, Ageia and Mono logos, and all the copyright notices (for Unity, Ageia, Mono, plus a handful of open source components). The reason you can't completely remove those, is that lots of open source software (and Agiea too, though it's not open source) requires all use of their software to include the original copyright notice. You can change the bundle identifies if you want.

Re 2) You can move them somewhere else, as long as they're kept in and the user can find them.

d.

4. BasketQase

BasketQase

Excellent, thank you!

5. BasketQase

BasketQase

. . . and the EULA? Does my game's EULA need to include all the information presented in the Unity EULA? Or am I considered the "End User" for Unity and my derivative work does not require the same agreements from a user of my derivative work?

6. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

You just need to keep the copyright notices.

d.

7. BasketQase

BasketQase

Great, thanks!

~rob

8. Butterworth

Butterworth

Has any of this legal mumbo jumbo changed? I ask because using the Pro version I published a PC version of a game, and the engine did not include any copyright screens anywhere in the final product, so I assumed it wasnt needed. I then try to publish our game on the Mac platform and it automatically adds an "About" menu option that displays the copyright information about Mono and nVidia. Can this information be removed from a Mac version? If not, is it supposed to be added to a PC version?