Search Unity

Error "unknown type name __declspec" after Xcode 7.3 upgrade

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by megasweet, Mar 22, 2016.

1. megasweet

megasweet

Hi,

I have a project in Unity 4.6.9p4. This evening I updated my iphone to iOS 9.3, which necessitated an Xcode update to 7.3. After the upgrade, my project that previously compiled just fine is now throwing the error "unknown type name __declspec" whenever I try to compile in Xcode. I double checked this by opening, cleaning, and building a previously-built Xcode project, one that worked fine on my phone. Same error. It throws the error on the first line of this code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. NORETURN static void il2cpp_codegen_raise_exception (Il2CppCodeGenException *ex)
    2. {
    3.     il2cpp::vm::Exception::Raise ((Il2CppException*)ex);
    4. #if __has_builtin(__builtin_unreachable)
    5.     __builtin_unreachable();
    6. #endif
    7. }
    Any idea what can be done to avoid this? I am currently downloading the previous version of Xcode but this is going to be a problem for me pretty soon. Thank you for looking!

2. megasweet

megasweet

Ok embarrassing.

As soon as I posted I saw the banner flash by up top saying there's a new version of Unity that supports Xcode 7.3. I will grab that and give it a shot. Apologies for the spam.

3. rai_arpit

rai_arpit

hi @megasweet, we are facing the exact issue. We are on 5.2.4. Can you please let me know which version did you upgrade to resolve this issue?
    The thing is, we initially tried upgrading to 5.3 when it came out but had a bunch of issues. Hence we reverted to 5.2.4. I was hoping to not upgrade to 5.3.x to get around this hence wanted to know how you resolved it.

4. megasweet

megasweet

Hi @rai_arpit, I am still on Unity 4.x so I downloaded Unity 4.7.1 last night, which should support iOS 9.3. I ran out of time to install and try it last night but I'm confident it will work. Worst case I can roll back. I am at the end of a multi-year project so I was going a bit crazy and really shouldn't have upgraded at all.

Apologies that I can't help you with Unity 5 issues as I am not going to upgrade my project to Unity 5. Best of luck resolving the issue!

5. jkmn

jkmn

If you are like me and can't upgrade, I got it to "compile" by replacing
    #define NORETURN __declspec(noreturn)
    with
    #define NORETURN __attribute__((noreturn))
    in the il2cpp-config.h

6. tuyoshi

tuyoshi

In my case, this can't solve problem. my env is Unity5.2.4 XCode7.3

7. afrokick

afrokick

It has helped me:

1) Remove 'NORETURN'
    2) Clean build
    3) Build it

Like a hack:)

XCode7.3, Unity5.2.2

UPD: XCode7.3, Unity5.3.4f1 - no issue

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  8. w5897093

w5897093

9. almo

almo

I can't upgrade to 5.3, because it renders UI.Text one line up, and breaks all my menus. That fix is slated for 5.4, which has been delayed. I can't even use 5.2, because it drops my 30 FPS iOS game to 12.

10. almo

almo

I have a fix.

Find the 3 files in the Unity application called il2cpp-codegen.h.

/Applications/Unity5.1.4/Unity.app/Contents/PlaybackEngines/WebGLSupport/BuildTools/Libraries/libil2cpp/include/codegen/il2cpp-codegen.h
    /Applications/Unity5.1.4/Unity.app/Contents/PlaybackEngines/iossupport/il2cpp/libil2cpp/include/codegen/il2cpp-codegen.h
    /Applications/Unity5.1.4/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/il2cpp/libil2cpp/codegen/il2cpp-codegen.h

Find this line in those:

NORETURN static void il2cpp_codegen_raise_exception (Il2CppCodeGenException *ex)

Delete the "NORETURN" from each, and save the files. It should work now.

Abaobao, Shushustorm and nastasache like this.
  11. Alex_li

Alex_li

tks!It's helpful for me

12. nastasache

nastasache

Thx, jkmn!
    Worked for me (Unity 5.3.1f1, Xcode 7.3)

13. Addyarb

Addyarb

The 'Delete NORETURN' method works for me.

To be clear to those who don't use Xcode for anything but to build to iOS:

1. Click on the error in xCode (the red icon). The line should now be highlighted.
    2. Place your cursor in front of the word 'NORETURN' and backspace until it's gone.
    3. Go to "Product" and click "Clean."
    4. Rebuild project by clicking on the play button in the top left corner.

Xcode Version 7.3 (7D175)
    Unity Version 5.3.1 (Latest Vuforia-Supported Version)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  14. -chris

-chris

For 5.2.4f1, as well as deleting NORETURN, also have to delete instances of IL2CPP_NO_INLINE.

raydekk and almo like this.
  15. almo

almo

Really? I didn't have to do that...

16. YangEGG

YangEGG

@jkmn
    Today I meet this problem too,but my Unity version is 4.6.3.Will it be solved if I use your mothod to do it?
    hope you can understand what i want to said.

for Unity 4.6.3,it can be worked normally.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  17. YangEGG

YangEGG

for Unity 4.6.3,it can be worked normally.

18. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Unity 4.6.3 is pretty old hence may not support xcode latest, I suggest trying upgrade to 4.7.1 as has newer xcode support or try the hack way.

There will always be a issue as Apple releases new versions of Xcode, simply older versions of Unity not support the features.

19. ksiUnity

ksiUnity

I had problems with Unity 4.6.2 while compiling with xcode 7.3. Just follow jkmn's answer. Works like a charm

20. MarcusRLA

MarcusRLA

As someone who doesn't use Xcode for anything but to build to iOS, I really appreciate your post. It solved my problem.Thanks man

Addyarb likes this.
  21. eldes

eldes

This worked for me. Thank you jkmn! You saved my life:)

22. Sam_alonso

Sam_alonso

Yes. I tried this too but did not work and the release is going bad everytime I comment something.

Do u know where to delete this?

So I will try to update to 5.3.2 and see what happens.

23. cdm89

cdm89

I cant find this line ANYWHERE i searched the entire project in xcode....where was this exactly? Thanks

24. Addyarb

Addyarb

Do you have an error? You should have a red exclamation mark in your xCode project if this is the issue.
    If that is the case, then just click on the red error icon, and you should be taken to the line where you need to correct something.

If you see a line reading "NORETURN" at the beginning, just delete "NORETURN" - click project, clean, and then press the play button to attempt to rebuild.

With that being said;

The main problem here seems to be caused by an out-of-date xCode version - or an out-of-date iOS device. Removing the "NORETURN" within the code seems to be circumventing the bug as mentioned. However, if you don't have a red exclamation mark error, this may not be the issue.

Try:
    • Updating your xCode version to the latest version (supports iOS 9.3)
    • Updating your iOS device to iOS 9.3
    • Setting your build target to something lower/higher
    If you still can't figure it out, describe your error in more detail with your next post.

Best of luck!

25. fangfangYan

fangfangYan

This worked for me too.I use unity 5.2.3, xCode 8.2.1 and device to IOS 10.2

26. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the quick fix in this thread! Had to do a quick update to an old project and finding a simple answer quickly was nice. Cheers!