Search Unity

Error: Unable to parse YAML file: [mapping values are not allowed in this context]

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by dre38w, Jun 21, 2015.

1. dre38w

dre38w

I'm getting an error in a YAML file that some other people are getting. The error is, as the title implies, "Unable to parse YAML file: [mapping values are not allowed in this context] at line 1"

I've seen some say to open the YAML file and change some stuff in it. But I can't even find the YAML files. I've also seen that it's caused by meta file issues and version control. The project is local but I don't know if it matters if it's local or cloud based.

Does anyone have a solution for this issue?

2. dre38w

dre38w

Giving a little bump to the thread. I'm also curious how detrimental this error is to the build out. I'd assume you wouldn't want any errors or warnings in your final build. So that's probably a dumb question. haha

3. dre38w

dre38w

I discovered something else with this error. I started a brand new project and encountered the error again. So it's something with the engine? However, I built out the game and used the Log Viewer from the asset store and I don't see any errors. Don't know how important getting rid of the error would be for using the engine. Even though it doesn't show up except for when I first open Unity 5. It's nothing that's hindering me at this point. Just bringing it to the dev team's attention.

4. Hans Larsen

Hans Larsen

It seems like this question is asked a lot without anyone really know how to solve it. I thought, I would share how I got rid of this error message. I don't know why I had the error, what caused it or anything, but I had the error even when creating a new project from a new installation.

I got rid of it by removing everything related to Unity I cold find and install Unity again. http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/9306/total-remove-and-re-install.html My best guess is that some of Unitys application data was somehow corrupted.

5. JustAnotherDude

JustAnotherDude

I'm getting this error too. Spent a few hours tracking it with no success.

I've read somewhere it was .meta file problems, I made an application to search for any problematic files and couldn't find any in the entire project.

It would be great if unity would tell us what file it thinks is broken, the current error message is useless...
    "Unable to parse YAML file: [mapping values are not allowed in this context] at line 1"

It is now showing twice in my project and I have no idea what is causing this.

In a new basically blank project it shows once...

Using unity version 5.2.3p1.

6. dre38w

dre38w

I haven't gotten it for a long time now. It just all of a sudden stopped showing up. I have no idea why. No matter what I did to fix it, it would just show up again. But when I kind of just give up as it didn't seem to be harming anything, it goes away. It was odd.

I suggest debugging a build out to see if it comes up in that. If it doesn't and it's only an engine thing, I personally don't think there is much to worry about. Would still be nice to know what it was.

Best of luck guys.